YuGiOh... Why are the cards so ugly

The cards themselves are hideous and some of the art (most of it actually) is pig disgusting.
What gives ? can't hey afford artists?

The left is normal western card and the right is a mock up I made in a few minutes that looks leagues cleaner.
Text still needs work though (too big in quick mock i did)

Other urls found in this thread:

guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/best-selling-trading-card-game
guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-trading-card-game-tournament/
google.co.uk/trends/explore?q=/m/01w626,/m/04rhz
youtube.com/watch?v=Gs08XuC62LU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_Grand_Prix_events
yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Akina_Fujiwara
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

never really heard this mentioned but it's very true. the art itself is usually bad but beyond that the layout is just completely nonsensical.

once you have more than 6 icons in a row, scientifically, humans are not really capable of interpreting the number. they should just have the star symbol with an 'X7' next to it instead of having 7 symbols. also the symbol looks awful.

the whole thing is a mess

>the star symbol with an 'X7'

1 million times this!
Im not that big of a player but im sure you only need to know if a card is either: 4, 5-6, 7+ stars (for summoning other monsters.
In which case just have 1, 2 or 3 or something similar to this.

It started in the manga, didn't it? As in, one guy drawing comics for kids who did a short run featuring a card game, and had to make up and illustrate some cards?

Then it was so popular that the series started to revolve around it?

Most CCGs have several artists and several styles. YGH is based on the art style of one comic book artist (imagine if Jollyjack illustrated whole card game! Pic related!) and later illustrated to fit that style.

full disclosure i have no idea how yugioh works

but i decided to make a more logical card frame

the important text is placed prominently, the symbols are condensed, and the card is just cleaner.

Kazuki Takahashi, the guy who's name is on the bottom of every single card, is the one who illustrates the manga and the irl cards. He's also the one who owns all the rights to the anime, manga and irl game.

well that was larger than i inteded

I'm gonna tell you right now that the text box is nowhere near large enough, also the type is missing.

The cards are shit because Yugioh is just a Magic ripoff that was inexplicably successful. They didn't give a shit about the card frames or layout and they don't care now.

mtg used to have this problem too and then they streamlined their rules

i think a bigger text box is accommodating the problem rather than being a solution.

that fucking star count and attribute needs to be centered as well. that is the only way that layout works without being autistic as fuck. everything else about it works.
The star count could work centered not condensed as well. might even be better. use it as a bottom border instead of just a stat.

Considering the state of the game right now, I don't think yugioh should be taking examples from mtg on how to run a card game.

>mock up I made in a few minutes

that must be why I always mentally bisect the row of stars and count the number on one side, since it's never more than 6. then double it obviously

>"why are yugioh cards so ugly?"
>"let me post an even more disgusting card to get my point across"

why? do japanese people hate money? mtg is by far the most played and most successful card game in history and it's sales have only increased. even through the recession of 2008-2012 mtg somehow managed to drastically increase sales.

their rules are pretty air tight at the moment and they do a good job of keeping shit together imo.

Keep in mind that's an older card. The art was simpler then. Here's something new. While you may not like the art style itself, the quality has certainly gone up.

old card...

>mtg is by far the most played and most successful card game
Oh boy, here we go again.

guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/best-selling-trading-card-game

guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-trading-card-game-tournament/

google.co.uk/trends/explore?q=/m/01w626,/m/04rhz

>by far the most played and most successful card game in history
That's still YGO.

I always thought pokemon tcg was the best selling card game. Guess not.

This isn't bad, but:

A) Red Eyes B. Dragon is a Normal monster, i.e. it has no special effect. You can tell by the yellow frame and the presence of flavor text -- Normal monsters are the only cards with any flavor text. I bring all of this up because the text box actually needs to be big and largely uncluttered, because most actually viable cards in YGO look something more like pic related, requiring huge text boxes due to complex effects with unnecessarily verbose standard wording practices.

B) Back in the old days, level stars only mattered for determining ritual requirements and how many tributes you needed for a tribute summon, but thanks to Synchro, XYZ, and Pendulum summons level stars are now super fucking important, so your level star count needs to be bigger. Like, the same size as the original level stars. They matter and need to be visible.

C) Yu-Gi-Oh cards have an attribute and a type. Red-Eyes has the Dark attribute (that little circle you've moved to the bottom right) and is Dragon type (signified by [Dragon] in the original card, which you have completely removed). So type needs to be put back. Neither one is a huge deal so they don't need to be big, but they do need to be present.

D) Most players fan their cards in their hand. Because of this, it's important to put most of the important stats on the same side of the card so you don't have to pull the whole damn card out of your hand to read the stats if you need a reminder. Players will adjust their fan for right-justified or left-justified stats, but a well-designed card should put them all on the same side of the card. You've done this with the attribute and level stars, but you've centered the ATK and DEF values unnecessarily.

As an example of what I mean about either right- or left-justifying your vitals, here's a Magic creature. Note that the mana cost, power, and toughness are all on the right side of the card. Only the card type and subtypes are on the left, and it's pretty obvious that it's a creature regardless because it has P/T values.

Fucking hell forgot my pic.

And for an even better example, here's a card from Star Wars LCG. Here, EVERYTHING is on the left. In order from top to bottom, you have the card's cost (black circle at the top), its Force icons (the grey circles), its affiliation (the Falcon icon), its combat icons (the hexagons at the top of the text box), and the damage capacity (red circle at the bottom).

This same sort of design consideration is why standard playing cards have their number and suit in the corners of the card: so you can see what card is what with your hand fanned without having to pull out a card and look at the whole thing.

Pendulum confuses the hell out of me can anyone explain what i'm looking at with this card?

youtube.com/watch?v=Gs08XuC62LU
I can explain pendulum, but I can't explain that card since I don't know what it does.

In addition to the info on this chart, Pendulum monsters are played into the Pendulum Zones as if they were Spell cards. They act like Spells rather than Monsters so long as they are in the Pendulum Zones.

The box between the red and blue Pendulum scales is the Pendulum effect, which is active while the card is in the Pendulum Zone.

fuck...a 5 minute tutorial. Who am I kidding i'm not doing anything important tonight

Seems crazy that you can just shit your hand and that when they leave the field you just exile them. Then again i'm not going to lie i don't know shit about yu-gi-oh and i'm a magic player.

It'd be good if it didn't take 2 cards to do, if you could summon your whole hand with only 1 card then it might be playable.

Yu-Gi-Oh has no mana system so people can always lay down their whole hand to win in a single turn as long as your opponent doesn't have a trap.

You don't exile them.

In Yu-Gi-Oh the equivalent of exiling is banishing, and there are all kind of ways to get banished cards back, but this isn't that either.

You just put them on top of your Extra Deck face-up. Your Extra Deck is where you keep your Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz monsters, which are monsters that are summoned via special methods and which you never need to draw from your deck.

Your Extra Deck normally has a 15 card maximum, so you can't overdo these weird special summon monsters.

This is not entirely true. Yu-Gi-Oh does restrict you to a single Normal Summon or Set per turn, so while there's no mana system you can only play one Monster per turn without resorting to Ultimate Offering and/or Special Summons.

What this means is that, in theory, you're wrong, but in practice, provided you have a good deck well and have a reasonably good draw, THEN you're right.

Layout looks fine the way it is.
The artwork has room for improvement. From what I've seen most cards show off a close-up of a creature with a boring, minimal background.

Most.

That's just some fire, a waterfall, some rocks and some lightning...that's still not really much to look at.

Better than literally nothing

Agreed.

Sets from early 2000s look like shit, but the art has been good for a long time

The vast majority of the cards in the IRL game are done by uncredited artists. If it doesn't appear on the original manga, doesn't have his signature on the art, or isn't a main character's ace, it isn't drawn by Takahashi

It's a lot more anime than MTG, which reflects the fact that it's from an anime. Neither style is inherently better.

Even with the image and your explanation that still makes no sense

Takahashi is the only one that matters.

Watch the video then.

Different user here, lemme try and explain it a bit better

Pendulum monsters are both spells and monsters, and where you place them on the field determines which. Chuck em in the pendulum zones and they're spells or summon them on the field as monsters. They're essentially combo cards that scale off of each other and allow you to special summon more monsters or use other effects.

I think they're pretty shit and have ruined the pacing of the game even more so than XYZ summoning did

That's very true but Takahashi.dek isn't very good.

How did they ruin the pacing? It took them a year to see any real competitive play, and they were only top dogs for 2 weeks.
Rituals have beaten pendulums
Fusions have beaten pendulum
Synchro... still sucks
Xyz has beaten pendulum
Even tribute summoning has beaten pendulum

Have some Pendulum Monsters in your hand.

Play them into the two Pendulum Zones. This doesn't count as Summoning them, just playing them like Spell cards.

While these Pendulum Monsters are in your Pendulum Zones, their Pendulum Effects, shown in the text box between the blue and red symbols, are active.

Note the number above the blue symbol on the card in the left zone.

Note the number above the red symbol on the card in the right zone.

Once per turn, Special Summon any number of monsters from your hand and/or any number of Pendulum monsters face-up in your Extra Deck, provided you have enough open Monster Zones to accommodate them and each summoned Monster's level/rank is greater than the number above the blue symbol on the card in the left zone and less than the number above the red symbol in the card on the right zone.

You can also play Pendulum Monsters normally, like any other Monster, in which case none of their Pendulum shit matters.

If a Pendulum Monster would be sent from the field to the graveyard, you can put it face-up on top of the Extra Deck, allowing it to be re-summoned via Pendulum Summon.

Just out of curiosity how to XYZ summons work?
Ok so the extra deck is like a side board that you can actually use it in game via the monsters you summon? I mean exile as in you put it in a zone that you can still actively use like in magic.

They let you summon monsters faster than anything else in the game. Games have been going faster and faster, some end in 2 or 3 turns. Call me old fashioned but actually having to plan ahead and use a semblance of strategy instead of just fishing whatever you want from your deck and pull out whatever is op atm before your opponent is more fun to me.

This is why I like Vanguard and Force of Will. Instead of shoving everything inside of a postage stamp, every single card is full art.

>they let you summon monsters faster than anything else in the game
Sure kid, let's see if your pendulum can do this.

Reminder that konami has always handled the game terribly

The card tells you the monsters needed to summon it, pic related needs 2 level 4 monsters.

It's a better version of tribute summoning, it lets you get more powerful monsters out on the field way faster.

It's a shame it all looks like generic fanservice anime

You forgot to mention that xyzs go in the extra deck, or that the monsters used to summon it become "xyz material" placed underneath the card.

Yes, the Extra Deck is a deck full of special cards that don't go in your Main Deck. They get summoned by special methods, which usually tutor the card in question directly from the Extra Deck to the field.

Xyz Monsters don't have a level. Instead they have a rank. Each Xyz Monster lists the required material, usually 2 or more monsters of the same level as the Xyz Monster's rank. During your main phase when the game state is open (the same as nothing being on the stack in Magic), you declare your Xyz Summon, stack the material Monsters on top of each other, and drop the Xyz monster on top of the stack. The material Monsters are now attached to the Xyz Monster as Xyz material, and are otherwise no longer considered in play.

Xyz Monsters often have abilities that require you to remove their material as payment.

Thanks for reminding me the game is currently shit.

Doesn't stop me from busting out my skull servant deck to style on some nerds

That's a strange way of spelling "fun", but glad to be of service.

>best selling trading card game based on units sold
>units measured by individual cards
What. That's like saying LEGO is the best selling toy of all time because you measured it by individual blocks.
>record is from June 2011
Magic's sales slumped dramatically between 2006 and 2008 during the Time Spiral and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor blocks, why is what prompted them to institute NWO to help with new player acquisition. Sales didn't really recover until ROE and the Scars block, but then there was a period where every year's fall set broke a new record, becoming the new best selling magic set of all time. IIRC Theros (the set, not the entire block) is the all-time best seller although I've also heard that BFZ broke that record yet again. 2011 is a really shitty year to measure sales. Wasn't the entire western economy still kind of in the shitty at that time anyway?

>Largest trading card game tournament
>4364 participants

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_Grand_Prix_events

>2013–14, Las Vegas: 4492 Players
>2014–15, Las Vegas: 7551 Players

Although to be fair, the largest card game tournament record is for Poker, not TCG's.

>Implying
I am sorry that not everyone likes MTG's derivative fantasy schlock

Do you have any sales records to back up your claim? Large tournaments don't necessarily mean that the game sells as well.

I'm not a fan of MTG either
I'm even less of a fan of fan service and gay elfs on my cards. I can't even imagine what kind of audience it attracts, but I could probably smell them from a block away.

Why is your deviantart just YGO cards, can't you just keep them in a folder or look on the wiki? Is any of it even original material?

But that's not Weiss Schwartz user

>most individual card sales
>one large tournament
>hurr durr best card game

Let's just ignore the fact that Magic is way funner, the art shits all over yugayoh's, and there are far more players in magic. Also magic cards aren't worthless due to excessively high reprints of the best cards. *cough* yugioh *cough*

I take it that you have never been to a FNM?
That's literally every single card game except for Pokemon

>let's ignore the facts so I can state my dumb baseless options
Whatever you say magicuck

Opinions*

>magic cards aren't worthless due to excessively high reprints of the best cards
Go away Rosewater

>>>Magic is way funner
"No"

>Large tournaments don't necessarily mean that the game sells as well.

You're absolutely correct, and Wizards has said exactly your sentence on many occasion. While Hasbro doesn't release actual sales info, it's been said by MaRo and others whenever they explain NWO that during Time Spiral and Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, although tournament attendance was up, sales were waaayyy down. They were down so much that it prompted a drastic overhaul in how they handle design, which was so significant that they gave it a name like "New World Order."

I think you've been baited, friend

Literal children at locals can easily grasp this mechanic and the interactions with cards like anti-spell or secret village.

The problem isn't the mechanic, it's you.

>Hasbro doesn't release actually sales info
I wondet why...

>implying FFG's LCGs don't exist

Lol, keep wasting money on blind buy product and secondary market markup.

>can't handle Magic's tame-ass fan service

Shouldn't you be on Facebook, sharing EverydayFeminism articles and posting about "thin privilege"?

Duel Monsters, the game that YGO is based on, was originally intended to be Magic the Gathering. But somewhere during the discussion they denied him the right to use Magic the Gathering. And perhaps ironically by doing so, they essentially set the stage for their biggest rival to be born.

Can you imagine a different world where they had let him use MtG and MtG had become super popular in Japan with the manga promoting the game. Eventually leading to MtG getting several anime adaptations and all kinds of other stuff while taking even stronger hold onto the market of TCGs than even now?
It almost happened.

Takahashi probably wouldn't have been willing to keep paying the licensing fee to use the game's cards and mechanics and would have just moved on to something else after one or two arcs.

I'm gonna need a source before I buy into this, I've heard a lot about yugiohs origins but never this.

I don't think Takahashi was ever in negotiations to use the actual game, I think he was just inspired by Magic.

After all, he did a tabletop RPG arc, but he didn't try to use D&D for it. The closest comparison to the system he was using was RuneQuest.

That's exactly what he wanted to do

Yugioh also comes with the rule "you can only play one monster each turn, unless you bring them into play using card effects." Unfortunately, the game's power creep and poorly-restrained stylistic changes caused special summoning monsters to become not only rampant, but necessary.

>necessary
Set 5 and pass is a deck, that is fairly viable.

YGO's art isn't based off of one dude's art.

Maybe in the beginning, sure, but now each archetype has really visually different art. Look at these two cards which were released in the same set.

Watts aren't an example of GOOD art that visually differs from others, but it was the first striking example that came to me.

You mean summon 1, set 3, activate demise, set 2, pass.

Right?

>>best selling trading card game based on units sold
>>units measured by individual cards
>What. That's like saying LEGO is the best selling toy of all time because you measured it by individual blocks.

Honestly that sounds to me like it'd skew things slightly more in Magic's favor if anything. Yugioh precon decks are ~40 cards last I checked, their boosters are 9 cards, and a playset of cards is at most 3. I believe Magic is 60, 15, and 4 respectively.

Well, you still set 5 eventually. And you don't special summon.

Even decks that rely on backrow are basically just running some convoluted Extra Deck bullshit and you know it.

Not really, they just stun and poke.

Jesus Christ that right thing. I have seen fake Pokemon fan art that looks less stupid.

Here's a known artist

yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Akina_Fujiwara

>Links to his Pixiv
Naisu.

The only extra deck these decks run are the pendulum cards that die and go there.

>his

Qliphorts are a good example of a deck that don't dip into their extra deck, One version of the Monarch Archetype makes its mandatory to not have any cards in the Extra Deck, Kozmos and Mermails seldomly go into the deck deck too

The game ALWAYS used "convoluted extra deck bullshit", just since you played shitty decks 10 years ago, doesn't mean you know about the game. TER and metamorphosis were staple. Using well established mechanics in uncommon usecase scenarios isn't convoluted.

>pendulum cards
>in a deck that cannot special summon by design
Ok

The stars are there as much for decoration as a game mechanic

>Not defaulting to male pronouns when you aren't sure of the subject's gender
This isn't tumblr, no reason to get upset.

Cannot special summon the turn the card was activated. Not to mention you don't lose your monsters when you draw into them from demise since you can put them in the scale, also monolith effect resolves after demise discard effect.

It honestly makes more sense than yosenju where you demise into a duality, kama 1 and kama 2