The villain is an edgemaster katana trench coat guy

>The villain is an edgemaster katana trench coat guy

I don't think it's necessarily bad for a villain to be easy to hate

> OP has a single line of greentext describing a "problem" that can be easily ignored.

This is the future Veeky Forums chose.

>The villain fights like the PC and the finale is a duel

Lub it

I played a game with that sort of villain once. Dresden Files RPG - the BBEG was a Red Court vampire who played up the edgelord factor hard. Even other members of the Red Court thought he was a tool. They just...let him do his own thing.

We ended up putting him down, which I suspect was the reason someone turned him in the first place.

That actually seems pretty great.

A villain you can laugh at while simultaneously kind of hating. Play up that he comes off as one of those cringe videos but like... he can actually back it up, so it's not completely embarrassing.

Overall I feel like it wouldn't be very serious, but he could be a very entertaining and memorable bad guy. Probably better as like a right hand man or "Dragon" than actual BBEG

>The villain has a child who was never hinted at before.
I've never liked this one, it always just feels like a cop-out. And by this, I mean introducing a character as a villain's child. If the character already existed and it turns out later the character is the villain's child, that's fine.

"Hey, Dante. Will I ever see you again?" Fuck Ninja Theory.

honestly. I loved the reboot of DmC. the whole plot was just better thought out, and the last fight was freakin great. really hope they continue to do more with the series.

Yeah, a villain that physically involved is rarely the main bad guy. This kind of villain is usually an elite mook, a hired mercenary, or the right-hand man. Possibly multiple roles at once. As for seriousness, just put the character into full armor and be stoic.

Should've just been its own thing, rather than ride on the coattails of a franchise the reboot's devs don't even like. I have similar feelings for Prey 2.

That depends.

How do you mean?

Everyone hates that cyborg katana fuck. But not as a villain. He's just shittily written.

Oh yeah, he's from ME3. Should've guessed poor writing was the problem.

Yeah, there's a difference between hating a villiain, and hating the way a villain is treated. I could write essays on why Kai Leng was the worst thing to happen to Mass Effect short of the ending, but so many people have already done it that I don't think I need to.

You haven't played ME3?

This is Kai Leng. He's a recurring villain whose shtick is he's a try-hard edgelord space ninja with a katana. And he's one of the most hated characters in the entire franchise. Which is saying a lot.

But it's not a good hate. It's not a "love to hate", or a "man this villain is so wonderfully despicable and eeeevil".

People hate him because you kick his ass every time you encounter him but the game still insists he's some unstoppable killing machine.

People hate him because he killed one of the most-loved characters from the second game with his stupid katana.

People hate him because of his stupid weaboo ninja character design.

People hate him because of his shitty fucking attitude.

People hate him because the second time the game forces you to lose to him he sends you a fucking email just to tell you how much you suck. And blame the destruction of an entire planet on you because you got side-tracked fighting him.

There is not a single redeemable factor to this character and the reason people hate him isn't because he's a villain but because he should never have been in the game.

>breaks into a man's house
>eats his cereal to fuck with the guy or something? the mind of Kai Leng is a strange thing

>this is ACTUALLY CANON

Kai Leng is easily the worst part of ME3, by a very wide margin. Even the shitty original ending was a better game element than Kai Fucking Leng.

>You haven't played ME3?
Not even going to touch that steaming pile.
>He's a recurring villain whose shtick is he's a try-hard edgelord space ninja with a katana.
OW THE EDGE! Seriously, sounds like a 12-year-old's DA "donut steel" OC.
>And he's one of the most hated characters in the entire franchise. Which is saying a lot.
Really? The only other character that really comes to my mind that people seemed to really hate is Jessica Chobot. I know it's not really her, but you know what I mean.

Wow, this guy sounds like the DmC Dante, but in space.

Wow, that takes a special level of retarded.

Beat him to death with my superior weapon (a simple mace) after he is about 1/5 done with his inevitable monologue.

After that is done give the katana and trench coat to a well known comedic performer an pay them to make a scathing farce of the villain's life that will be remembered for centuries...

>using a mace against an unarmored opponent
You're tryin' too hard, nigga

>superior weapon (a simple mace)
>weapons are like rock paper scissors, right?
You pick the right tool for the right job, moron. You're going to pick something slow against an enemy wielding a very quick weapon? Maces are for use against armored opponents.

Most of ME's characters are pretty good but there's some who are really polarized.

Garrus, Thane, Joker, Wrex, and Solas are almost always ranked very high amongst players and for good reason. These guys are great.

Tali and Liara are also very popular but I think people who gush over these two are weird. Liara's okay, Tali is fucking obnoxious and I find her fanboys almost as annoying as her. I've found there's not really any middle ground with Tali. People either love her, or they despise her. Most people love her though because of her accent and jump-suited ass.

Characters like Miranda and Jacob are generally considered milquetost and forgettable, though I have a soft spot for Miranda.

Jack and Ashley are 50/50. Half the players like them, the other half hates them with a passion.

Grunt is alright but he's kind of just a bargain-bin Wrex.

People liked EDI until ME3 turned her into a sexbot.

>Wow, this guy sounds like the DmC Dante, but in space.
Nah, DmC Dante is way more badass. At least he actually goes around killing demons. Kai Leng is just kind of a loser. Whenever you fight him as a boss, he has squads of flunkies to help him and even calls in a gunship to support him, and he's still not very challenging.

> even calls in a gunship to support him
> never forget your best still wasn't enough to stop me

We all know the katana edgelord will be banging on about his plans and past for like 15 minutes before doing anything else. Probably being a rude fuck shouting at the moon or staring off into the distance with their back to you/me/the party. Have an archer fire off an arrow at the three minute mark and then bludgeon the shit out of them.

I love maces and acknowledge that they are not the weapon for every situation. I REALLY love maces though...

>bioware got away with this
>bioware is currently making a reboot since they fucked up so hard

nuke their office when?

You're alright

People say the plot of DmC sucked compared to the previous games. To which I say "The previous games had plot?"

>reboot

It's nuBioware so it's just gonna be some banal tacked-on plot interspersed with some shitty dating sim dressed up as "interacting with the characters".

Offer him a fedora rigged with explosives

>People liked EDI until ME3 turned her into a sexbot.
Oh god, I wish I had that pic of EDI's cameltoe with the caption of one of the BioWare employees talking about artistic intent or whatever.

Eh, I guess you have a point. They both sound like complete douchebags, but yeah, at least Dante gets shit done.

You know what, that's actually the worst villain trait ever. People acting like the villain is a viable threat when they never demonstrate themselves to be threatening. Holy shit, I hated how in Thor 2, the Asgardians are shitting their pants about a few dark elves coming back, when the fucking intro showed them all getting blown away like dead leaves.

I like your attitude. Wish I had a version of pic related but with a mace. What is your favorite mace, fictional or otherwise? What is your opinion of flails and meteor hammers?

Oh come on, people. We all know EA hollowed out BioWare and is actually making the game and just using their brand to sell. Won't be long before people ask whatever happened to BioWare and add Mass Effect to the long list of franchises that EA has killed.

>Doesn't understand why people like Tali aside from her accent/ass
>Likes Miranda

The thing is, Kai Leng was apparently introduced in a novel before ME3 came out. So there are records of him doing all these badass things people say he did... it's just that literally nobody read the book, so so it was lost on virtually all the players. And even then, his treatment in the game is ridiculous. He never wins because of his own skills, he wins because his presence in a cutscene makes all the player characters turn retarded.

Well, obviously he's just a boob man and not an ass man.

Video game devs really need to start recognizing that people don't give a fuck about a game's story that's not in the actual game. Halo had this problem when 343 took over, just porting all this book lore into the games like anyone gave a fuck, and Destiny had the same problem with its Grimoire shit. Seriously, how fucking hard is it to make a codex in the game like ME did?

yes, and that's sadly what normies/waifufags/tumblr wants (or at least what biowEAr think they want, it will probably sell though).
But since they are setting it in literally another galaxy it's obviously a reboot to avoid answering all the awkward questions ME3 raised

Mass Effect died when they introduced cerbereus, the only thing narrowly saving 2 was the characters

Miranda is at least helpful and likable. And I'll admit I have a bit of a weakness for rich, attractive, "cheerleader" type personalities.

I lost all interest in Tali when she asked me for the specs of the Normandy's stealth drive. And the game made me fucking eat Renegade points for telling her "no, you cannot take my top secret prototype space ship's blue prints to disseminate amongst your race of notoriously shift space gypsies".

So, the fact that I swear the box of corn flakes was half full last I checked is because of a cyborg future ninja is out to play mind games with me before my execution?

DEEPEST LORE

>Miranda body paint

Wait, when does she ask for that?

Well, obviously he'd leave a helpful little note to explain it.
>Hi, I ate your cereal so you would feel bad about it. Oh, and, uh, an entire planet is dying right now because you're reading this. Yeah, definitely. Because I'm a badass. [below is a crudely-drawn picture of Kai chopping off Commander Shepard's head with a katana]

Speak for yourself, I don't even care for Halo but the books are pretty good sci-fi reads

Mass Effect 1, like two thirds in. She asks you for some blueprints on the Normandy because it can help the Flotilla or some shit. If you say "no"--which you fucking should--you get Renegade points.

Most Quariens are like that; always trying to get the upper hand on you even when you're helping them, and the game tries to make them out as unjustly-persecuted outcasts. I can't stand these fucking guys. They're like Gungans: Round 2.

here. My favorite maces are probably the pic I posted as it is not too heavy, easily made, and slightly novel or the shishpar because they are neat. Haven't really found a fictional mace I really loved but Sauron's mace is neat. As far as flails go I think they are cool but I'm a little wary of them given my odds of hitting myself. Meteor hammers are awesome but I have no interest in trying them out for the same reasons.

Indian maces (regardless of practicality) are radical...

I was being hyperbolic, sorry. But the vast majority of people who play video games aren't going to go into the surrounding media unless they're just super invested in the story. Which, let's be honest, isn't exactly common in an age where multiplayer is seen as the reason to buy a game.

>The pic I posted in

Doesn't help that they act like the Geth just suddenly went Second Renaissance one day for no discernible reason.

Thing is, I'd probably be more upset the the ate my favourite cereal than anything else. It's expensive and everyone else keeps eating it too so I barely get any.

Now I'm imagining a ME marine life yelling "THIS IS FOR EATING MY WHEATABIX CHOCOLATE CRISP MINIS YOU LITTLE SHIT" while lobbing grenades.
It is quite the amusing thought.

>unrelated talibutt

>likable
Did we play the same game? Miranda, who stubbornly insists that her incompetent, mustache-twirlingly-evil terrorist group is "just misunderstood?" Who picks a fight with a bugfuck insane child soldier over petty bullshit that she should be professional enough to ignore? Whose plot in 3 is a literal rehash of her plot in 2?

I mean, yeah, Tali pulls some shady shit, but it's consistent with her character to act that way under those circumstances. She's flawed as a person, in ways that are "human" (for lack of a better word) and understandable, while Miranda is flawed as a character. Hell, at least Tali has character development.

And if you're mad about getting Renegade points for putting your foot down, I think you may be projecting some ideas onto the Paragon/Renegade thing that were never intended.

Not him, but I'm also not a big fan of video game books. As it is I'm not huge on "story" games because I don't like cutscenes. Mass Effect was probably the one exception and look how well that turned out.

So when I play a game and the only way I can understand is it sifting through book after book written by mediocre writers who've never heard of the active voice then I quickly stop caring about the lore.

> I think you may be projecting some ideas onto the Paragon/Renegade thing that were never intended.

That would imply Bioware actually had a consistent plan for Paragon/Renegade points.

Most of the time they might as well just be called "Pushover/Asshole" points.

Doesn't she ask for Geth data? I do not remember that in the slightest.

>the game tries to make them out as unjustly-persecuted outcasts
What? No it doesn't. The game makes it pretty clear that their ancestors were shitheads to the Geth, and that they deserved every bit of their punishment.

I mean, what do you expect? Their ancestors did their damnedest to cover up what really happened in the Morning War. None of the Quarians left alive know what really happened; as far as they know, that's exactly what went down.

How do you like it when the game is low on cutscenes but has a bunch of lore found in other places you can read at your own leisure? Like the latest Doom game, for example.

Okay, that's a fair point. I can't argue with that.

I'm still bitchy to this day that they used ME conversation wheels after Dragon Age Origins.
They fucking did it right the first time. Give me a list of shit to say, and unlock more dialogue options if I can pass stat prerequisites. And then they did that fucking wheel for... I'm not sure, lazy game design?

I'm usually fine with it. My biggest gripe is I don't like it when games put some kind of artificial limit on you for "story" reasons or try to force you to get engaged in the plot on the developers' terms. It's like playing a D&D game where the GM just will not stop railroading you along his plotline even though every NPC and encounter you come across is obnoxious, in your face, and demanding.

I find lore and story far more fascinating when I'm discovering it, rather than the game shoving it awkwardly in my face.

I prefer games where I can basically play on my terms. It's why I'm partial to Bethesda games despite having their own forms of retardation.

You know, you're actually right. It's been like three years since I last played the game. Either way, I'm still not a big fan of it. It's not like Tali was asking me for a glass of milk some shit. So when she starts fucking pouting over me not handing her top secret military data then she really doesn't score any points in my books.

I think it's a bit more understandable when you remember that she's an adolescent on a coming-of-age trip. Imagine if you were dealing with a teenager; that's basically what's going on there. If she was an adult at that point, I'd totally agree with you, but that's just an immature character acting her age.

It's one of the very few things Skyrim had going for it.
I just wish the books were more like the ones in the other games.

the only people batshit insane enough to save mass effect are GW
>b-but user, you weeze pettily, GW can't make computer games
that why they have /our guys/ Streum On on the case

>but that's just an immature character acting her age.

Which is honestly part of why I dislike her; she's a teenager pouting around on a black ops military vessel.

Shepard is a marine officer with decades of combat experience and he's stuck babysitting some brat.

Fuck, what sort of cereal do you eat that's actually expensive? I'm content with the stuff in those giant plastic bags.

>unrelated pic

>I'm content with the stuff in those giant plastic bags.

That generic stuff with the awkward off-brand names?

>pic
>"No time for perverts girl games"

The only correct answer.

>Godforsaken tri-crossover between EYE, 40k, and Mass Effect
I'd play it.

Does EYE have a big following? I loved the lore even if the game was buggy.

Well, fair enough. I don't necessarily agree with you, because I think that was just an understandable glimpse into the personality of a character who otherwise acts more mature than her years. But I understand and respect your line of reasoning.

It's definitely what you'd call a cult classic.
Still one of my favorites.

Oh Jesus look at those skinny arms.

the question is, will Shepherd escape his cycles of guilt?

there's definitely still an active niche community of maybe 200 people playing it on a weekly basis, i'd guess. more when it's on sale.

I'd pay money to see Shepard go all Full Metal Jacket on Tali. Shit would be hilarious.

Yeah. I don't care what the fuck it's called, I just care that it tastes good when I eat it. Though I will never touch pic related. Guy on the box freaks me the fuck out. Like something that wants to come off the box and eat my face.

>The only correct answer.
I hope your logic for this is to get to fucking faster. Otherwise there's just something wrong with you.

Shit, I need to get EYE sometime.

Generic cereal always has the most awkward box art.

>Otherwise there's just something wrong with you.

sexytimes can wait until after the galaxy is saved

>Played as a parody of Sueish PCs.

There's a difference between expensive and "You know it really isn't worth the money it asks for, especially when I can get a big box of pretty tasty cereal for less"
Although those pretentious muesli brands can fuck right off with their pricing. It's probably cheaper to just buy the individual ingredients in the store.

>tfw favorite crewmember was Legion

"We are currently heading at maximum warp drive top mass drive thing. Still going to be a few hours.. well, time to not do anything fun."

Legion was a hero and a real human bean

Legion was alright. The only problem is he didn't really start getting interesting until near the end of ME3.

Spheres? Seriously? And is that octopus stoned? ...Wow, things you thought you'd never say.

>sexytimes can wait until after the galaxy is saved
Aw, Shepard's just shy, isn't he?

Not the best, but very acceptable.

Pic related.

Probably the only time a video game ever made me feel sad

>that pic
What the fuck am I looking at? I'm laughing at it, but I have no idea why.

Even ME3's harshest critics pretty universally agree that the Tuchanka subplot was 10/10.

Based on this. I realize this probably doesn't make any more sense.

I can't find the original, non-macro version of the illustration but it's from this insane alt-future encyclopedia book some insane biology teacher wrote. The idea is humanity goes "extinct" then re-evolves into a diverse range of vaguely primate-looking mammals.

SEASON'S GREETINGS

Jesus, this art is as retarded as the book it was taken from. Here, have some more retarded art.

Wasn't it the same guy who made the book that implied penguins would somehow become apex, whale sized predators a few hundred thousand years from now?

Found the original. "Man After Man" by Dougal Dixon.

The book is filled with fucking bizarre illustrations like this.

That was a companion book to some Discovery Channel mini-series.

The whole thing was filled with retarded speculation about what animals of the far future will look like after humanity fucks off to live somewhere else.

why I'm partial to Bethesda games despite having their own forms of retardation.
Fallout 4 was a disappointment in this regard. Just like everything else.

At least we still have New Vegas

I'm just hoping Obsidian will be given the chance to make something that is what NV was to 3.

Bethesda games tend to always feel incomplete (but they somehow manage to do that in a way that works), but Fallout 4 was the first time I just got annoyed with one and stopped playing before finishing the main quest.

Actually, DMC3's storytelling is rather great, even if the plot is sorta simple.

As opposed to DmC where the plot is FUCK YOU and the storytelling is also FUCK YOU

It just works. Yeah cause modders fix bethsdas shit.

>Beat him to death with my superior weapon (a simple mace) after he is about 1/5 done with his inevitable monologue.

>"So, what's your plan?"
>"I need more power"
>"But what do you need power fo..." *tele stabbed in stomach*
>"Might controls everything."

I mean, it'd work against most trenchcoat katana coolguys, just not the one in the OP.