Song of Swords: The Bill Murray of TTRPGs

Last time on Song of Swords:
Swordsmanship
Pistolcraft
Lewd Donkeys
Laser Whales Soon

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings. Inevitably, you will always have that one gay ass zell in the party everyone works together to kill.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a MEGA folder with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

Ballad weapons and calibers converted to their real world counterparts: paste2.org/Hp7eDsa7

Sexy pictures from the devs showing what the guns in ballad were based on: mega.nz/#F!R4Bh0JxB!NCf0FyXqxcmaE2mG3YZKxw

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

Fascists and Commies living together, mass hysteria!

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q!Gg9giDTZ
mac-gratuit.fr/site/tribaledgedweaponcol/ARMES_AFRICAINES.html?PHPSESSID=0aead82b7881f5177ae41c779b3a7c1b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When are you cucks going to fucking make magic a thing?

When you shut your whore mouth

There was a pyromancy release along with vampires. It's as OP as you'd expect.

Make me shut your mouth you fuck elf

>one gay ass zell in the party everyone works together to kill.
Yeees

Reposting muh pdf for those that might have missed it last thread.

Okay. That's it. I'm starting to read Requiem. No other picture actually managed to convince me, but that one is right down my alley.

When was the last time Jimmy actually posted anything? Is he alive, or is he too busy not making a game?

Its all on ExHentai

Ah damn, read that too late. Already dug it up on /co/s archive. Thanks nontheless

the fuck is the point of this pdf?

Easier access to the damage charts.
You can click on the names of the first page or if you print it cut a rectangle on each pages right side so you have tabs to quickly get to the damage charts you need.

Seems like a physical quick folder type thing for damage charts.

I added a little reset button to the bottom of every damage chart
No one actually needs, wants or can draw use from this, but at least it bumps the general

You humble faggot.
If opaque had half your initiative or prowess then we'd be yelling at Jimmy for the Song of Swords 3e kickstarter

But user, I literally just added a reset button, I'm a different user entirely from the beautiful bastard who made the actual PDF

Both of you high energy alpha males need to go make a game together.

Even if your game is rank shit I would still want it just for the God level formatting.

Oh, good idea, thank you. Added to the source file. Only litte thing I changed is putting it in it's own layer, so you can deactivate it (mostly for when you want to print the thing). I can also upload the source file, if anyone is interested. You'd need Scribus, some LaTeX distribution and ghostscript to compile the pdf though.

Update here: mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q!Gg9giDTZ

>exclusively Free software

I knew you were my nigga as soon as I saw the chart

I'll try to add the Call of the Void missile damage charts and move the TZMs into the actual target zone charts (just to make it easier to read)

Yeah, I like OSS. If I want to do [stuff] I usually try to find a way to do it with OSS.

If you want to use the source file, it's in the same mega folder now. But it's quite messy, since I've not had the motivation to clean the document up yet.

Anyone interested in more greentext from the gamefinder lottery winners? Just kidding, I don't care what you want.

Previously, Jon Sue the magically handsome bastard, Landy the fabulous Landsknecht, and Racist Ranger the Hater Supreme overthrew the government of a major port city and then bailed.

>Party hits the high seas looking for pussy and cash
>Find a few small islands with remnants of an old colony
>check that shit out, then find a small village on the mainland across the bay
>Show up at the village and find out some of those foreigner fucks are stealing kids and stuff from them
>meet their leader, a super religious old conquistador who worships the original founding saints of the imperial religion
>RR is infatuated with someone who follows his religion 'correctly'
>party smooth talks him into liking/trusting them
>he admits that he's in hiding after raping and pillaging for 30 some odd years
>he's holding onto some weapons for his old leader, also a fuckload of black powder
>larger island has old fortifications from mystery group and an abandoned tourquoise mine, where the powder was hidden
>party makes a shitload of grenades and prepares to repel war party
>sets up a bunch of ambushes with marines buried under boats in the sand and archers ontop of the mud-huts
>Charlie's in the trees, getting stronger
>party's crew drops on these guys
>RR is sniping degenerate heretics and laughing maniacally
>Landy and Jon Sue go toe to toe with their big ugly fuck boss with the conquistador's sword
>His cobbled together plate and a few helpers allow him to stress Jon and Landy out
>they eventually develop some teamwork and put the fucker down, but not until after RR sends in some extra marines to drag the enemy's helpers out
>afterwards, Landy is given the conquistador priest's old custom Montante. Landy retires his old zwei to the new shrine to the war goddess they build in this village
>With the help of the villagers they start to refortify the island

>move everybody over their and decide they need some experts
>blacksmiths, masons, etc
>end up with a one-legged foreigner captive
>drill him for info, find out that the fire worshippers are planning to take the port city
>they're building fortresses and shit, getting ready to invade
>they decide this information is valuable to whoever is in charge now
>head back to the major port city
>turns out the imperial spymaster has taken control
>framed some people, unframed some people, reshuffled the political deck
>the prince fled to a neighboring country and the army supports the minister
>the son of the old regent (who was executed) also sided with the minister
>Party meets with minister who is willing to help their colony
>meeting is interrupted by realization that someone is raiding some islands on the outskirts of the city's sphere of influence
>party sails out to put a stop to it
>two ships are flanking this islands
>party sidles up to first ship and board it
>fuck up some guys and grenade some pikemen
>steal ship 1
>bring their ship and ship 1 around to the other side
>their ship rams the second ship and then grappling hook it so it can't get away
>ship 1 brings most of the party to bear on the side of the enemy ship
>Landy takes a burning oil pot and his fancy clothes are on fire
>says fuck it and jumps aboard the enemy ship on fire
>decapitates 4 guys, still on fire and then puts himself out
>meanwhile RR is sniping people and having a giggle
>Jon Sue sees a bunch of pikemen impeding their boarding action
>Says fuck this and starts hucking grenades
>between the ram and the grenades, the ship is destroyed and the raid is halted
>party gives the people of the islands some of their treasure back, not much
>people are pretty hype
>party heads back to port city
>arranges to get some experts sent back to their island

fuck yes

>only at a risk of a level 3 burn wound? alright. fuck it.
>im boarding them.
>break first heretic's pike.
>split first heretic open vertically
>still on fire
>arrows strike third heretic in arm, thanks racist ranger
>split second heretic open horizontally
>still on fire
>have a hearty chuckle whilst bear hugging the 3rd one to death
>smother the flames
>no longer on fire
>observe the glory as 10 guys are killed by a single grenade, thanks to jon sue's rolls being fucking godlike as always. thanks jon sue.

a good game.

The best part was that you only took a level 1 burn wound despite being on fire for several rounds and fighting 4 guys.

>realistic combat

You will send Jimmy into another rules writing frenzy for realistic firefighting rules and dozen tables of firefighting equipment and accessories

We'll release it as a splatbook.

insanity from grit failure when jimbo

gonna have to agree, Jon Sue needs to start having FEELINGS to really cement just how much of an anime character he is

Maybe we can provoke him into a frenzy of writing some of the stuff we've been patiently waiting for

everyone start writing fake greentexts that include rules that we need.

Got a name for it? Sonata of Smouldering or something?

Borelo of Burns

Figaro of Fire?
A-cappella of Ashes?
Ballabile of Burning?

fanfare of flames?
psalm of pyres?
carol of coals?

>Party is in a major large scale battle
>Party is then later in a naval battle and needs rules for ship2ship combat complete with boarding actions, etc
>Party then proceeds to fight a monster that isn't especially dog-like, such as a giant snake
>Finally, party enjoys tea and crumpets with the queen.

Now, we wait...

>neglecting to mention how the Big Guy got a swing with enough damage to cause a level Dead wound on Jon Sue's unhelmeted face, but Landsknecht saved the day with an ally-defense inspired by those helpers using their shields to Ally-Defend earlier in the Bout
That shit was tight, went from an "oh shit we lost" to "fuck yeah we're immortal demigods" in less than a minute

Also the erection of a shrine to commemorate our first naval battle, that ALSO has the Landsknecht's burned clothing as a "relic" of sorts, inadvertently beginning what might be a process of deification of the Merc Who Gives No Fucks

Have either of you guys tried making a character sheet for this game?

Not yet, no. And I gotta admit, that I don't know the game very good, so I don't know what needs to be on the sheet, and how it roughly should look like. But if you give me a list of what it needs I may see what I can put together tomorrow.
Gotta go sleep in a bit for today.

The main problem with character sheets in the past is fitting all of the armor locations, values, and rules in a limited amount of space.

If you could get all the hit locations, with a left/right part, and a space for the AV's covering each location it would be a great start.

Pic related is one of the better fan made ones.

>zell
>gay
Isn't it a lore thing that queer Zells don't happen? Or that they just can't cope with it mentally and repress it?

Drosaico is gay.

When they're on the boats it gets repressed, because the boats want them to breed. A Zell on land can probably do whatever.

Why does everyone give a giant box for Boons and Banes and almost nothing for armor?

Hey Jimmu, if you zoomed ahead 500 years in Tattered Realms to their 20th century, what would be the most common headline in the newspapers? "Civil War in Dace!" or "Zell Sex Trafficking Ring Uncovered!"?

"Dacian man chews man's face off after ingesting redmouth."

"Senator immolated! Paladin Union refuses comment."

The Matriarch of Kaselreich takes in too many Dacian Refugees, upsets national hegemony irreparably.

>paladins
>unionizing
I imagine it would be a union that actually encourages worker productivity?

It'd probably be a legal thing. A religious organization might be exempt from taxes, but it is also barred from certain political donation privileges. Paladins would never agree to that--their job explicitly requires them to become involved in politics. They would rather lose their status as a religious group than stop backing politicians who share their agenda.

Of course, what a Genosian Paladin's agenda would be in the 20th century is difficult to imagine. Most of them would be guys from the 15th or earlier centuries, but most of them would probably have died in the 19th century (lots of big wars) and just now be returning by the mid-20th, just after the shit hits the fan in WWI.

Imagine leaving behind 18th century Prussian and coming back to Weimar Germany. Imagine dying in America under Andrew Jackson, and then coming back under FDR. Imagine leaving behind Napoleanic France and returning in 1939.

I imagine the rate of cultural and technological progress in the recent centuries would impel the church to provide intensive education to any paladins coming down the mount on "what has changed since your last death?" Brochures optional.

Also,
>earnest business man ascends in early 20th
>paladin becomes CEO of major corporation
>explodes into divinity after reorganizing the entire company
>destroys any foreign competition with smites

That's a good question.

>No Elbows, Knees or Feet Armor Boxes
>No place for Talents
>No weapon shields or racial traits

Well you tried

That's an old Opaque sheet, I believe.

>Opaque

Not surprised

Here's Builder's/

It was nice for one of you to actually learn something.

Fug. I worked on the character sheet. A few hours in now and the program just decided to crash with no survivors. By which I mean that the last save was when I barely even started.
That's it for today. Fuck.

Maybe I'll have another go tomorrow.

Keep fighting, user. You're doing God's work.

Speaking of God's work

>bump

Also, who the fuck decided Bill Murray meme-time was better than fantastic timurid cleavage edition?

>Bill Murray meme-time
>fantastic timurid cleavage edition
Not sure what you are on about tbqf. Was there another thread with a cleavage edition at the same time as this one?

>fight a monster that isn't especially dog-like

This is relevant to my interests as well.

There were briefly two threads going at once, made within a short time of one another.

We had already had a fantastic timurid cleavage edition.

I'm not jimjam but I'll see what I can drum up

>implying there can be enough fantastic timurid cleavage

Jokes aside, I didn't realize we'd already done that one

What's the deal with the Bill Murray thing? I don't get it.

It's because it's dead

SPEARS and one axe

That's just a perpendicular spear.

African weapons are pretty crazy.

Yeah they are.

mac-gratuit.fr/site/tribaledgedweaponcol/ARMES_AFRICAINES.html?PHPSESSID=0aead82b7881f5177ae41c779b3a7c1b

Maybe it's some sort of axe.

>Reading this Laser Whales game
>le shotgun meme
There is literally no use that shotguns have on the battlefield that isn't surpassed by SMGs in reality. In this game these weapons are stupidly good.

Unless anyone is in body armour of any sort.

I disagree. Studies have shown repeatedly that the shotgun is still a superior weapon in close quarters to automatics, it just falters at increased ranges, and is garbage against armor.

The same is true in COTV.

I don't understand the problem.
SMGs are more versatile with how to expend their sizable ammunition reserves and the range they operate at, while shotguns punch harder for shorter distance skirmishes.

>battlefield
>smgs
Don't talk shit on things you don't understand, noguns. Smgs are inferior to carbines and rifles in every single way but one, can you name it? and yet they still get used. But not in "battlefields"

I'm getting mixed messages on the armor thing here.

They're short and lightweight?

Not him, but a battlefield in this context could include an urban environment. Is the single way rate of fire? Are we talking about WWII era guns like in laser whales or modern? I think these days the carbines our boys carry shoot just as fast as any of those dinky machine pistols.

We mean the same thing, I was saying yes they are good unless anyone is wearing any form of armour.

I think you're reading a bit too deep into it. Shotguns are good at pretty much one thing--killing unarmored men at close to medium range... And preferably no more than a handful of them. Automatics bring a lot to the table, they can suppress, burst fire, single shot with great accuracy out to obscene distances, and on-hit they're generally just as lethal as shotguns, but with (for rifle cartridges) better armor penetration.

SMGs are that middleground where you can put a burst on someone with a good chance of hitting at close range, but you can also plink at people from a distance, suppress if you have to, and do it for longer before reloading in one Action because you aren't manually inserting shells into a tubular magazine.

I think there's a place for every weapon. In the upcoming adventure, our four premade characters each specialize in a different weapon type. Some of them are familiar faces, one is new.

Nyashny Enginsdottir carries a Weissenschwert and her twin Liberators.
Ivan Sistene carries a Volksverteidiger and a Ritterschwert.
Kane carries a Wellington Over-Under and a Norminster.
Silas Black carries six revolvers of various caliber and design.

The idea is that the mix of weapons really does necessitate a different playstyle for each character. Ivan, the only one who wears heavy armor, is best served by picking targets and smoking them one at a time. Kane needs cover to survive, and is best at close range. Nyashny has the most ammunition of anyone, and can open up with huge bursts before switching to her handguns, and Black can quickdraw a different pistol for each target if he has to.

btw, I'm sure you guys'll love it when it's out, it's supposed to be a good introductory adventure for the combat system with more of an emphasis on shooting and tactics, and a dip into some proper horror. A second adventure will focus more on diplomacy, character interaction, and engaging the weirdness of the Void.

That sounds pretty neat. Do you have a similar intro-adventure in the works for Song of Swords?

>Make Ruscovy Great Again

>Nyashny Enginsdottir
Enginsdottir means "nobody's daughter." It's a bit clunky sounding though. Nyashny sounds Slavic. What the hell does this mean, you're aware that Scandinavian and Slavic languages aren't at all similar, right?

>I think there's a place for every weapon.

What's the place for shotguns if automatics are so potent?

Yes, we do. The SoS one is more ambitious though, it's meant to be more of a campaign than a short scenario to teach the rules.

It's my usual butchery of foreign languages. I'm very aware that I'm doing it, part of the fun is that it's all wrong, and nobody can stop me.

But, the joke is this: Nyashny is a half-Zell. Her father was a Zell, and her mother was some woman from Lodland, or Not!Iceland.

Basically he didn't speak their language, and they didn't speak his. When they showed him the baby, he said "Yeah, its' cute," unaware that it was his. He thought they were just showing him a baby. Humans are weird. This came out as "Da, Nyashny."

("Nyashny" is a word from the Russian animu community meant to be analogous to Kawaii. It's a play off of the stereotypical Japanese meow sound "Nya." Part of the joke is that this is totally anachronistic because anime doesn't exist in either CotV or Tattered Realms, there is no explanation for why the Zellish word for "cute" is a 21st century Russian word for the Japanese word for cute.)

Anyway, he said "Nyashny," and the girl's mother thought he was naming his daughter, so that's what they called her. He then went off and died, so they never got a chance to learn what he actually meant. They couldn't figure out his name, so they just called her "nobody's daughter." I don't know what they actually do for fatherless kids up in Iceland but Enginsdottir sounds based as fuck so I took it.

Well, they all have insanely good TNs, to start. Better than pistol-TNs even. It's really easy to hit with a shotgun, and if the enemy isn't fully armored you're probably going to fuck him up mightily.

>Kane & Ivan
>And Nyashny
>And some guy named Silas
Sell me this party. Sell it to me Jimmy. Make me believe.

>I'm sure you guys'll love it when it's out

I'm not expecting a straight answer, but how SOON™ do you expect that to be?

The premise is that they're members of Red River LLC, a mercenary group founded by Black and Sistene.

Nyashny Enginsdottir. Alcoholic, veteran of the Lodland defense force. Winner of the Martial Cross with Two Swords from Lodland, and the Iron Eye from Chiron. Tried to drink herself to death for four years before realizing that Zell livers are superior to human ones. Joined Red River because her misery only recedes when knee-deep in human blood. Massive sexual tension with Ivan, hangs out with Black all the time because she likes to imagine her dad was like him. The only person in the crew who genuinely enjoys killing other human beings.

Ivan Sistene. Fascist Ghoezat (Cossack) whose family was butchered by the Yikong during the Volgin Quagmire after being sold out by the Albish. Deep political commitment, but hides it well. Was discharged from the army after a head injury--the steel plate in his scalp makes wearing a helmet agonizingly painful. Only Nyashny is aware of the depths of his nationalism, but she doesn't really care. Friendly, charismatic, devilishly handsome and a born leader. Always arguing with Kane, but the two are actually good friends. Wants to reclaim his homeland and revenge himself upon the people who sold out his clan. He and Black founded Red River during a baccarat game in Desotia.

Reinhold Kane. Rahoo of Ximbri descent. Fought in the bush war between Zabi and Desotia. Saw some serious shit. Was a flight mechanic, spent more time fixing planes than shooting people, but did his share. Hooked up with Ivan on a job in Albion. Turned ugly. Kind soul, actually dislikes violence, but can compartmentalize.

Silas Black. 79 year old gunslinger. Still one of the best. Remembers when "automobiles" were just a passing fad. Thinks anything without a revolving cylinder or a lever is for queers. Never retired because social security doesn't exist yet. Drinks the nights away with Nyashny, and enjoys checkers. The voice of reason.

This one is actually pretty easy, I'm working on it now. I expect it to be done reasonably soon because it's more limited in scope than the Laransk Project.

So Space Black Lagoon?

But who's the Rock expy then?

I guess it's BL pre-series.

If the sample mission is raiding the whale oil tanker with notRock on it, I swear to god Jimmy

Oh fuck, I'm dying
Black Lagoon is the only thing left to rip off that won't finish before our game does.

You mean HL3 will come out earlier?

Nyashny=Revy
Ivan=Nazi Dutch (Slavs aren't white)
Kane=Benny(?)
Black=Clint Eastwood

There is no Rock.

I am 110% convinced that they made it already and intentionally did not release it because Gabe hates people who played Half Life.