/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Where did we go so wrong edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk (embed)

>Question of the Now:
What's your favourite type of game?

>Last thread
Disappeared into the void

Other urls found in this thread:

alternative-armies.blogspot.hu/2016/09/darkestorme-28mm-fantasy-rules-now-paid.html
arenarex.com/pages/game
mega.nz/#!TE9UDJpB!QE5JHlEOzGdt5yCsPSmwl_Vet7xHhEW60ZEy33kAx4o
netepic.org/netepic-gold.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Poland.

My favorite type type of game would have to a gang management system like Necromunda or Mordhiem.

No one willing to play it with me even if I got the models

QoTN:
My favourite type of game at the moment is platoon level battles, it lets me have enough individual infantry on the table to feel like a substantial battle is going off, yet maintaining few enough models that each man/woman/techno-zombie abomination feeps important. It also lets me play around with some light vehucle support, whether that be a pair of battle suits or a walker, a squadron of tankettes, or a helicopter gunship coming down low, daring enemy fire that could knock it out of the sky for an attack run.

It's both big enough and small enough to satisfy my desires.

Those are my kind of games too. They aren't that much of an investment in 28mm (30-40 minis plus some support weapons), but looks good and feels right.

Thats a cute elemental ?

Djinn, guess from Reaper.

Plastic barbarians from Northstar are coming soon.

Also, Alternative Armies' fantasy skirmish game is going up for sale as a pdf, for a not too expensive 6GBP

alternative-armies.blogspot.hu/2016/09/darkestorme-28mm-fantasy-rules-now-paid.html

Anyone has any experience with the system?

can someone tell me about Bushido. I had a read of the rules just to see if its good and it seems very strategic. But i need a second opinion before i sink money into it :)

They look cool. Might buy in via the Nickstarter this time, if I have the money spare.

Yeah, I plan to do the same...that shield hits every right note for me. Cheap Dunlendings for LotR, or generic barbarians for any game.

How the fuck do you photograph 6mm infantry well, they are TINY LITTLE MEN

I have been sorting my 6mm Horizon Wars infantry from Baccus and I love the detail in the CHQ set, there's a motorcycle courier, a guy with a pigeon and a guy in a folding chair.

I can't wait to get back into wargaming my imagi-nations "Valkyria Chronicles: Austro-Hungary vs Ottomans edition" campaign now I am finally less busy and have some infantry.

Plus a drawfag in a recent drawthread did a picture of an infantryman in the setting, which has got me super hyped.

Use a macro setting and get real close with the camera?

Finished tiny DW tanks. I forgot how difficult it is to make a model the size of a 28mm fig's foot look good.

Man that grass would be fucking tall in real life.

I will try that, my parents are gamers themselves and in a camera club and have shitloads of equipment including a macro lens the size of a baby's leg and a lightbox so if all else fails I will ask for help.

Looks about right for a field of hay to me.

It tends to grow tall desu. Check how Chernobyl's area looks like in the summertime.

Some more Star Saga renders

My backlog is so big already

heh, log

...I have the same exact pic saved with the same exact name, fuck.

One box is no world's end, eh? My backlog's backlog is longer than that!

You know, I thought I won't get around to finishing the 5 or so armies I started anyway. So naturally I started another project, i.e. a small scale skirmish game with 10 minis max per side.
Fast forward a few months later and I spend loads of money on random Sorcerers that I liked, appropriate hencemen for each of them, various critters from the bestiary and even new scenery.

Hi, my name is user and I'm an addict.

Hi user, I bought This is not a Test, started converting postapoc minis, bought a box of Project Z Spec Ops, but the latter are still on sprues, and haven't tried the game since.

I had a phase where I thought about buying a bunch of Brother Vinnie Fallout stuff and kitbashing some Beastlords and civilians to use as alternate minis for Infinity.

Check out TerraGnosis's Sulphur, Eden and Punkocalyose if you are into post apoc stuff.

Seriously though, the way GW has developed the last few years I thought about selling most of my unpainted GW stuff off and just collect random minis i like instead.
My heart is just not in it anymore for the GW stuff and i don't know anybody who plays something else.

Speaking of which, has anybody experience with Wild West Exodus? Not the biggest fan of the minis but the rules seemed interesting.

And Fallen Frontiers is another game I never heard anybody talk about. What is it like?

I got in my second game of it last night.

Mechanically very simple. But the cards, and the turn sequence add a lot of tactical depth. It really isn't just two armies walking up to each other and blasting each other. There are meaningful choices to be made

>cards
interesting.
Would you recommend it for the minis or rather for the rules?

>are you in Europe?
>someone might play it.

>are you in the States?
>fucking no no one plays it

I would definitely recommend it for the models. The riff are great. (go google for the Darker Days Radio blog to see what I have painted).

The rules have a few errata I am bugging Scale 75 over, because I like how the game plays overall. It is not a big game (think WMH in numbers of models) and not clunky like Infinity.

I'm tempted to buy this, just so I can ge the cover without the DIGITAL DOWNLOAD stamp.
I really want to crop that High Elf.

Is the situation in the USA that bad?

If you buy it, please share it with us. I plan to get it, as 6GBP is not that much.

Not that guy, but it's a bitch and a half trying to find someone to play something that isn't 40k, AoS, MtG or X-wing/Armada. Slightly less common are the Flames of War and Infinity players. Hell I consider myself lucky to know one other guy that plays Firestorm Armada.

I remember doing four separate demo's of Dust Warfare when it was released - had one guy actually want to play a game, and one other guy show some mild interest. The store fully stocked it, the prices were great, but no interest whatsoever.

One of the last things on the shelf in that game store, before it closed, was the same copy of the Dust Warfare rulebook that had been there from the beginning.

This got depressing fast, sorry.

Don't remind me bro. I kept DW going at my local club for a few years through sheer brute force, but not I've moved and don't know anyone who plays.

We have spoken before. I actually got brought into Firestorm Armada (and then Planetfall) from the same guy in my store. Then the bastard had to go and move away.

Probably for the best. I didn't get to win much against a guy who did naval military strategy at the school here for a living.

> I see you.

More people really need to play this.

My local meta is WM/H.
Exclusively.
I hate WM/H, purely due to the WAAC attitude it promotes.

Ah, I always forget about Warmachine. Yeah, you tend to find two kinds of players - the guy who paints for fun but never really plays much, and as you said, the I MUST WIN LOOK AT MY NETLIST guy. They really make gaming...not fun. Which sort of defeats the purpose.

I hate that attitude too. I play WMH from the "I love the setting" but then I love the rpg setting too. So I play for story first. Which means exciting games and painted armies.

And 3D terrain.

Since I've learned that they use flat terrain for Warmachine because "every millimeter counts", I'm steaming mad, pun intended. Not sure if I want to start Warmachine knowing this..

That might be a tournament only thing. At least I hope so.

I need to find people to play Arena Rex with. Fairly simple Gladiator Combat in alt-history/fantasy Rome, why does no one talk about this?

That's really only hardcore toureny stuff. most people use real terrain and flat hills because fuck balancing your models on the side of a hill with like a precarious dice tower.

Even then, my jimmies have been rustled out of the solar system.

I feel you, they make warmachine to look soo boring.

Im going to start collecting next year, and probably going to play with lot of terrain anyway.

>because fuck balancing your models on the side of a hill with like a precarious dice tower.

>mfw expensive, solid pewter Thunderhead slowly topples off a hill because it was balanced improperly
>Shatters like a glass statue

I'm thinking of picking up both the Warmachine and Hordes starters at one point, because I like the models, and the rules look fun too...and while I overplayed a bit with the anger about the tourneyfags, not sure if it will affect me if I play solo or my brother.

WMH is a perfectly cromulent and fun game provided you don't get tourney fags or that guys in your group. Same is said for almost every game but goes double for WMH

Oh fuck flat terrain. This is why MK3 premeasuring is important. So if a cool piece of terrain is awkward to balance a mini on, everyone can agree that it is in or out of range for everything and it can be placed near enough.

They look pretty nice.

Hey guys

What do you think are some untapped genres in the wargaming business?

I'm right now looking to develop a skirmish game, and I've got 3 or 4 different ideas but I'm always switching the one I'm working on, and every day I change my mind about what could be the better one.

That's shitty because it keeps me from working on the mechanics of the game. A game about ancient times should have MUCH more different mechanics than one set in the 18th century for example.

Also, how would you feel about a post-apoc skirmish game which isn't centered around recent survivors, but more on communities centuries later, using melee weapons and black powder arquebuses?

>Also, how would you feel about a post-apoc skirmish game which isn't centered around recent survivors, but more on communities centuries later, using melee weapons and black powder arquebuses?
Adventure Time wargame when.

Anyway, feel free to share your ideas, and I guess you can't force yourself on doing one or the other. If the inspiration comes to one, you should work on that, if for the other, switch. How do you think they'd go back for black powder? In Fallout they have working ammunition factories, so not sure how you could justify those, but I'm listening to your ideas.

I predict you are going to find people who are okay with terrain and who are not closed to not try something new.

I know in here I'm not going to have problem because there are few players and they always want new ones, so I will just abuse my n00b status to place more terrain.

Mainly because society collapsed completely and people lived underground for hundreds of years. Not in vaults, but merely crude shelters with not much in the ways of commodity?

Most of the "overworld" is lost. To make modern ammunition one needs primers, which in turn require all sorts of chemicals and a pretty technologically developed society. So, even if they somehow didn't lose the knowledge on how to actually make modern firearms (or maybe even what the fuck firearms are), they'd still be screwed.

Never watched Adventure Time, is it like that?

I mean, my idea comes from the fact that I love ancient times and the heroic culture of ancient Europe, but I also like early firearms, even up to matchlock revolvers. And I wanted to incorporate both.

There is also no game like this, as far as I know.

Since it's a skirmish game, I don't know how effective early arquebuses would be without huge formations (due to the horrendous accuracy), and that could give way to some people using bows and crossbows too.

Wastelands, ancient ruins, search for knowledge and lost technology, warlords fighting for power, mutants roaming the land, swords clashing and guns blazing

>Never watched Adventure Time, is it like that?
There's a theory that's more or less proven that the cartoon takes place after a nuclear apocalypse and they are basically mutants. Some episodes like the past of the Ice King and Marceline supports this, as well as a ruined highway and so on.

The "lived underground for long" could work, tho how would you account for the los knowledge on guns? I'm pretty sure they'd took down a bunch of those with them, and parents would teach their children. However! If only young children survived with limited, albeit fuly functional equipment to make food and other commodities for themselves (a community decided that they need to protect their children as they were corrupt enough to let the world destroy itself or something like that), it could work, and the knowledge on guns might actually be lost because they don't want them to repeat their mistakes. If they discover black powder early (by accident or something like that), it could take presumably five hundred years to make revolvers, but I guess they could/should have some science related literature with them, which would help to speed up the process, so I'd settle with 150-200 years from the weaponisation of the black powder to getting revolvers. For inspiration, you could take a look at Zeno Clash too, visually it's really interesting. The setting sounds interesting for sure, but you need to fill lots of holes.

I was going to watch the show, but when I downloaded it the image quality wasn't as good as I thought, and I forgot to download it again. I'll have to do it then, for some inspiration.

True, that could be a possibility. I wasn't really thinking extremely well about all the events in the past, was planning to leave it so people fill the gaps themselves. At least I think it's pretty interesting when a setting implies some stuff instead of obsessively explaining it. Although I also think it should be coherent and not have major plot holes.

The original idea was to make it in a world different from ours actually, so society could be really different pre-apocalypse, therefore making it much easier to lose more knowledge or specific knowledge.

I mean, for all that I care, it could be that people are living in something more akin to the ancient ages than to actual 14-15th century, even if they have arquebuses.

>I'm right now looking to develop a skirmish game, and I've got 3 or 4 different ideas but I'm always switching the one I'm working on, and every day I change my mind about what could be the better one.
Fuck, I have this same exact problem.

I mostly play Kings of War, and I keep a few empty movement trays and bases on hand so that if need be I can swap out for a blank one. Removes the issue of balancing precariously, and if models have weapons or limbs jutting out easy to take them off.

>genres
genres, no. But mechanics.

as for lack of focus When you design a game you should have one thing that makes it special. Your unique selling point. Design the rest of the game to support your USP.
Otherwise you'll just end up with something halfbaked and generic.

If you don't already know what that is, why are you writing rules?

Because the market is flooded with countless tiny skirmish games played by about ten people each right now, it's impossible to keep track on it all.
Judging by the size of those models and the way they're painted, I assume it's a Spanish game?

How about a really elaborate skirmish campaign in which your warband develops and grows?

I mean, sure, there are games like that, but I mean a GOOD campaign, rivalling Mordheim.

Is that enough? Or you mean game mechanics like interesting ways to resolve melee, ranged, magic, etc?

Nah, 'murican far as I know. Just want to get people together and have some blood sport with Gorgons and Wendigos.

Welcome to the world of "Playing any miniature game that's not one of the three or four most popular ones". This is what it's like for all of us.
In my experience, the chances of finding anyone who plays the same game as you tends to be minimal at best. Because right now, there are more skirmish games than any human can possibly comprehend. So the best solution is usually to get two armies/squads/whatever of models for the obscure game you like, so you can let the opponent borrow it to try out. Don't be the asshole who nags his friends about buying an army so you have someone to play with, that never ends well.

>Is that enough? Or you mean game mechanics like interesting ways to resolve melee, ranged, magic, etc?
The question was about 'untapped' stuff. I didn't mean to say you have to reinvent the wheel, but if you want to do something different, definitely go for the mechanics. Unless you are planning on releasing a range of miniatures along with the game, I don't see the appeal in doing a lot of worldbuilding for a set of rules anyway. Then you just could write a campaign supplement and fluff pieces for a system that is already tested and does what you want. That's just me though.

That said, if you find a good way to resolve combat and the like that is in service of your gaming idea go for it.
For example a game that is supposed to play super quick, might have a reaction system and doesn't want to do math or book keeping at all a single dice roll to resolve those things is good. Might not even need rolling dice and just comparing stats instead.
A game where each turn takes a while might benefit from adding suspense by letting two players roll against each other, because otherwise one of them is just gonna sit on his hands.

That is what I mean by having your mechanics serving your design. Not necessarily just what you do but also how you do it affects how the game feels.

For example a game with a 'GOOD' campaign system as you put it, needs good ways to keep track of each unit's progress and find a good way to do the upkeep between the games.
Most likely it will involve detailed stats or any other kind of information like loadouts for each mini, so some form of book keeping might be required.

Those are the areas where I'd try to think of elegant solutions then to make the game a good experience.

Or even innovate. What if you could try to rob a competitors supply store during your upkeep or something like that? If the management between the fights becomes the game and the fighting is just a way to resolve mishaps that happened during management.

Oh most definitely. I've got a couple teams to run some trial games and vary lineups, I just need to find someone who also likes the concept to sit down for an hour or so and learn along with me.

Tell me about the system. What do you think is cool about it?

So, with Arena Rex, I like the system cause it's pretty much 1 roll resolution for combat (Atk Dice v. Def Dice, or Atk Dice v. Atk Dice if the defender wants to get spicy) and then net successes determine how far down a Gladiator's "Damage Tree" you go which results in damage other effects. (Lots of emphasis placed on moving and positioning in an arena, with lots of encouragement to customize an arena with traps, hazards, and wild beasts) It's very simple compared to a lot of systems, but it can lead to a very tactical game just at 1st blush. I also like how you can take fighters from different factions, but you do get bonuses from taking fighters of the same faction. And each fighter within a faction has their own style and flavor they bring.

Plus setting of Roman Republic that mostly got it's shit together and still runs roughshod over the med is an interesting one.

Being able to mix factions is always a plus. One of my problems with the vast majority of miniature games is that there's always that one faction that has my favorite model but the rest of the faction sucks.

Do you have a PDF of the rulebook? I'm south american so paying in dollars is pretty fucking hurtful to my economy

I don't but their website does apparently. Go forth and conquer.

arenarex.com/pages/game

I agree, there's always some badass model from a different faction that I want, but I don't want to sink the money into actually playing the faction to use it, so mixing and matching is always a plus.

Currently playing a lot of Pulp Alley, which is great because there are no factions or pre-made units (you make the stats yourself, using a simple but effective skill system). So I don't have to deal with that problem there.

Not that user, but what are some campaign things that players like and don't like?

I'd like to see some kind of small scale (say 5-10 minis), high customizability wargame. As a long time magic player the idea of building lists really appeals to me but that fact that every unit/mini is a several hour investment severely hampers my ability to do anything more than theorycraft.

Being able to buy a 'pack' of 3-7 minis (say one commander, 2 heavies, 3-4 infantry) where I can magnet swap out weapons/armor/accessories to modify my list and have optional colossals, vehicles, uniques to add.

You could add a 'campaign' mode by doing a league where winners and losers get XP to add value to their lists (losers should get more XP so that their shitty lists can upgrade slightly faster than winners). Have a feat/fault set (feats cost points, faults provide freebie points) with faults being a variety of wounds that can also be accrued during combat (say being critted or having a unit dropped to 0 HP during a game survives but gains a random wound). Feats could also be "honors" that can be earned during a game, like say kill 5 or more units, survive X amount of damage, etc.

I have ideas for a sci-fi dungeon crawler. Idea would be you build a team to compete against enemy teams to collect loot and fight ancient alien horrors. You choose a captain and a few classes to make the team, buy equipment that they can take from a list, and models would gain exp as you play. Advancement would be more skill-based than stats, every so often, you'd be able to "purchase" a skill, depending on your exp. You don't spend the exp, you're just limited to which one you can gain each level by the total amount you have.

Game objectives would all be based around picking up loot, which you send someone to trade in town after games for money and items. To give the idea of exploration, objectives in each game would be a few placed markers that, when you get close enough, you reveal what they are by flipping a card/rolling a die, and the objective comes into play. They'd range from things like finding an old database and trying to download the contents, gaining a loot for everytime you interact with it; to killing alien creatures that spawn and picking up the loot they drop. Other things I've though about is stuff like instead of selling loot, you can attempt to salvage it and find rare equipment, and alien races for models, each model would have a standard template, and then you can put the race template over it.

>Also, how would you feel about a post-apoc skirmish game which isn't centered around recent survivors, but more on communities centuries later, using melee weapons and bows?
I'd play Dies The Skirmish Wargame Fire, complete with ridiculous wicca and sindarin-speaking tolkien larpers.

I think Mordheim needs successor for a long time. The base mechanics are dated and they had problems from the get go (armor anyone ?). Coreheim and Heroheim technically work but lack something that I can't put a finger on. They also take too much thing from Mordheim that can be left behind - fro example IGOUGO.

Song of Blades and Heroes struggles with its own special rules and simplicity of base mechanics. Though ability to create almost any fighter calculating cost yourself is really nice.

I might kill for a Mordheim 2, I just want to paint up my own special dudes, make up elaborate back stories, and then cry when they die exploring some dangerous ruins.

Finished my 15mm judges of Mega City One last night, moving onward to some cursed earth inhabitants that will double as raider gangers for my fallout new vegas "This is not a test" game.

After that i'll need to make some terrain to go with this.

btw, don't know if it's a limited timed offer but warlord games is giving the digital judge dredd rulebook for free on their site.

Check Rack & Ruin, m8. It's an RPG meets wargame.

One of the biggest hurdles of Mordheim like game is how to balance armored and un-armored fighters. Because you want to still be able to use one model through all of campaign but at the same time still get new equipment for the fighter.

You can swap arms with relative ease and weapon ungrades just be declared to be done and that's it. But if you swap light/no armor to heavy armor you need to change whole model.

Balancing can be done through upkeep cost (paying some percentage of equipment cost for each fight in which it is used) but it can become just too much paperwork.

Well Mordheim like games could try something like limiting specific types of armour to specific units or classes, as this seems to have worked fairly well for RPGs.

And to help out with that, here's the rulebook:
mega.nz/#!TE9UDJpB!QE5JHlEOzGdt5yCsPSmwl_Vet7xHhEW60ZEy33kAx4o

And I hate that. Just imagine. Your band killed a dragon, they are swimming in money and why people in the band won't get armor for themselves in such a situation ?

I can understand class restrictions that are supported by fluff - mages without armor (which is both a balancing factor and a fluff one). Flagellants are already stretching it.

Also if armor is effective why won't you just get armored fighters if you have enough gold ? You can prevent it by adding roster restrictions but than you come closer to the extreme of models having only one statline with no variations or possibility of upgrades.

>
And I hate that. Just imagine. Your band killed a dragon, they are swimming in money and why people in the band won't get armor for themselves in such a situation ?

The way I've always rationalised some of the restrictions to myself is that certain classes lack the training or pre-requisite strength/practise to effectively use equipment.

As you say, mages not wearing armour makes sense because they're massive nerds who don't have much in the way of muscle and can't handle the mass of heavy armour like the big muscley fighter. Perhaps it makes sense to really expand on fluff reasons for why certain classes can't take certain armours, like how a thief can't wear heavy armour to avoid making noise.

Of course, another method is to give drawbacks to wearing armour, such as modelling the bulk and heft of armour by reducing dexterity or movement speed.

>can't handle the mass of heavy armour like the big muscley fighter.
Now thaaaaaat's bullshit. A good armor did not restrict your movement that much, and a chainmail shirt or padded armor could always be obtained for cheap. For plate armour, it's a different story, but even a breastplate would help his odds of survival greatly. Most of the things you mentioned are centuries old RPG bullshit to be honest. If they don't like armor for one reason or another (arrogancy could be a reason - "No need for an armor if my magic protects me"), they could just enchant their clothes to offer more resistance.

Penalties for dexterity/spellcasting could work tho if you want.

Cool stuff user, I never realised how blatantly 2000AD those Laserburn sculpts are until I saw them in that scheme.

Like any old hand on Veeky Forums I'm well aware of the myths that armour is this impossibly cumbersome thing and why its bullshit.

But my argument in this case is that you do in fact need some muscle/strength to wear armour for any length of time, particularly heavier armours and that stereotypical wizards are essentially nobles in that they spend their lives pursuing knowledge and not living the physically strenuous life of a sell sword, knight or peasant.

This leads into my next point that in a game like Mordheim, your characters are probably practically living in their armour, which will restrict what they can realistically wear as you have to be able to be fairly active in your day to day life and still fight effectively at the end of it. This is of course in addition to all the supplies, weapons and ammunition they have to carry with them.

The crux of this point is that I believe it is entirely possible to justify class restrictions on armours.

>they could just enchant their clothes to offer more resistance.
Now that really depends on the magic within the game, all of these problems could be handwaved with "Its magic, I ain't gotta explain shit"

Well the biggest drawbacks of plate is it's cost and maintenance. While it does slow you down it is negligible especially in the heat of battle when fighters push themselves to the maximum. In base Mordheim it would have been best modeled by Initiative penalty and I think Coreheim does that.

Making an elegant system for armor maintenance would have been great. Cause now you need to think if you want to take your heavy fighter on a mission because you can lose more money than you will make if his armor will get damaged.

Do I see it right and it uses IGOUGO ?

I....couldn't exactly find that, but I assume yes.

>Coreheim and Heroheim technically work but lack something that I can't put a finger on.
Character and heart, they lack character and heart. They're decently built games with an eye towards competitive play, and that's what makes them so sterile. go through the rules for each and compare them. You'll find that a lot of those quirky and sometimes aggravating rules aren't in these refined versions or if they are they're so neutered they may as well not be.

> People took Mordheim, a game geared toward narrative campaigns and geared it towards competitive play.

Why do people do this?

Because they hate fun.

IMHO that's not the best way to go about skirmish wargame especially geared towards campaign based play. You not only will have a core of experienced warriors but will be able to cover them with meat shields on your turn.

Alternating activations allow for much more engaging play and make it harder to cripple your opponent in one phase. If there will be good rules for group activations that will be ideal.

Agreed, tho some houseruling can help - since it works with a low number of minis, you can roll initiative like in an RPG, add the Perception stat of the minis to the roll, and you have a pretty solid activation system that would bog down bigger games, but works well for skirmishes.

Infinity isn't clunky reeeee

Joking aside, I'm assuming you mean fallen frontiers, as another user. I must say, the models for this game are fucking gorgeous. I shoulda jumped on the kickstarter, but I already have too many figs for game sI don't play.

I really liked the look of the dark, shadowy faction. They spoke to me, though I think they would look fucking slick painted in blue and white.

/awg/, sell me on your favourite mass battle 6mm wargames, preferably those that can do scifi or weird ww2 stuff with tanks, mechs and infantry

I have the urge for pushing huge armies around

FFT3 is WW2 & modern and excellent in every way. Shame they haven't done the promised SF version yet.

Horizon Wars is light but pretty fun. Laserstorm is cool.

Check NetEpic Gold, if you have any interest in Warhamster but don't like the clusterfuck that's supposed to be the force organization and rules now. It's fast, fun, tons of alternative manufacturers like Vanguard and Onslaught who sell a whole lot of not-40k figures and vehicles with some more obscure themes like Sisters, Dark Eldars and Genestealer Cults. The rules are free on their website, they are easy to grasp, I played one game on a Saturday, and got 6th position on a tournament the next day from 12 people with 2 victories and 1 defeat.

netepic.org/netepic-gold.html

Horizon Wars and LaserStorm spring to mind, haven't really played them though so I can't really sell them to you.