Hi Veeky Forums, I'm an illustrator looking to get in on the scene...

Hi Veeky Forums, I'm an illustrator looking to get in on the scene. I'm currently doing stuff for Games Workshop although they've yet to give me any work since getting in with them.

I've applied to Wizards, Paizo, and Hex today, but was wondering if there were any other "big" companies that I should try sending my stuff to?

Other urls found in this thread:

imperialglory.deviantart.com/gallery/54469140/GW-test-task
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>claims to work for GW
>claims that they haven't actually asked him to draw anything for them
>claims to know absolutely nothing about the industry (both the gaming and the illustration industries) or the hobby

Waaay too many contradictions here. Please try to make sense.

Look man if you are at GW already, yo should be doing fine. You also applied to the right laces if you want to go to the biggest companies. However do not count out the video game scene apply everywhere you can.

Dunno how 1 and 2 are contradictions. A lot of companies don't send you work for a long, long time. I've been told that Wizards usually goes 7-weeks between jobs.

Also I don't understand your 3rd statement. I know about those companies because some of them are big ass companies, or in the case of Hex, I have a friend who does stuff for them.

I really don't have much to gain by making a fake post to ask for other RPG companies. I dunno what anyone would gain from that.

Haven't really got anything from GW (can't specify when I got in, but it's been a long time). I need money while I wait for them.

>I dunno what anyone would gain from that.
See, that was what I'm asking too, because your OP feels so made up. And what I'm asking is how you got this far if you're as naive as you claim?

Well, if you are not on a paycheck as your OP post suggests then you actually freelancing meaning you should still have several clients open. A lot of such companies hire people on a project basis meaning work will come in waves/stages so you need to juggle your work between these.

Post date next to your staff badge

Also pro tip,
>melta guns don't fire like machine guns and it's really cool to see downed marines in art

I'll take "things that never happened" for 500, Alex.

Post some of your work here so we know what we're dealing with

Again, I got far because GW is a big ass company. It's like that, Wizards, Applibot maybe, Paizo, etc.

Also you don't need to be an experience artist to get into GW. You send your stuff, and if they think you have something going for you they'll give you a really fucking hard art test and if you pass that you're in. You don't need experience, you just need to be good.

I'm just looking for any RPG companies I may've not heard of, or hell even some Kickstarters that just started up that may be looking for artists.

I'm currently doing work for another company and making about $150-250 per project. I get each project done in a day, but they take a little bit of time to contact me so at best I get about $2000 a month, which I can live off of but obviously it'd be nicer if, in between waiting for a reply, I could be working on something else for another company.

Not entirely sure what you mean, but I'm a freelancer, I don't have a staff badge.

I wish I could post recent client work that I'm proud of, but I can't until the book gets published. These are all personal illustrations.

If you don't have a staff badge then surely you have a email or letter confirming your work has been accepted and will be used or your payment

Yes, but I'm obviously not going to post it.

>I get about $2000 a month
You realize that there are literally tens of thousand of artists that would be fucking ecstatic to be at your place even if earning just half of that sum, so you better be thankful for what you have.

I'm thankful, doesn't mean I'm satisfied. There's a difference.

Bloody hell mate, I can barely make a stickfigure.

Those look amazing

That's pretty fucking legit work there bro I am jealous.

Heh, thank you but they're very much "OKAY" in the industry. But that's alright, I plan on getting better. My first goal is to get into Wizards and go somewhere from there. Obviously haven't been accepted yet, but I'm gonna keep working hard until I get in.

Heh, there are GW codexes with shitty illustration work that is miles away from what you got.

You do what everyone else does when leaking from the inside
>get the form
>blur out or cover your name
>and put a time stamp on a piece of paper and hold it near it
Otherwise you're just an attention whore that'll get banned for shit posting

I absolutely love the composition of this piece user. The fact that you've managed to make the shadowed face the focal point despite it not being the only shadowy area (at least from my looking) is really impressive

I can promise you that my OP is genuine. If I wanted to attention whore I would've been here or on /ic/ a long time ago. I honestly didn't even feel like posting any of my stuff but figured the convo wouldn't go far anyways. I haven't posted a link to my port or anything, just 3 of my images.

Terrific work, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing your art published by GW!

If you ever meet someone from Black Library, you should ask them what they think of Veeky Forums, and the various 1d4chan articles we've written on them and their work.

What are your rates and fees like?

Do you have online portfolios/linkedin/etc we can look at?

I bet they have no idea about those even existing.

I don't get why people are giving you shit, you were asked to post your work and you did. Hopefully other anons can give you more ideas on where else to submit your work but it seems to me you've covered your bases. Good luck.

I won't link it so I don't have to deal with the guy above, but you could probably just drag one of the images into google search and it'd come up with one of my networks.

As for rates, most of the time it really isn't up to us, but I push as far as I can to get decent ones.

ADB knows, he thanked Veeky Forums in one of his books.

Well OP I know that Fantasy Flight is usually looking for illustrators. Just be wary as I've heard the pay is lackluster and you don't get any royalties out of usage.

What kind of art test did they give you? I ask because I want to be an illustrator for game companies too, but I don't think I'm up to snuff yet.

I can't go into too much detail, but if you search "Games Workshop Art Test", you'll find that mostly everyone gets asked to paint an Ork fighting an Ultramarine.

If you frequent Veeky Forums you'd probably have a one-up on most people since you'd probably have a better idea of how this stuff should look.

In fact here, this should give you a better idea.

imperialglory.deviantart.com/gallery/54469140/GW-test-task

I will say that it's incredibly hard to get in. The day I sent it in I was told by other artists that the Ork didn't look exactly like a Warhammer Ork and I got really depressed about it. Woke up the next day to find that they liked it. Happiest day of my life probably.

NDA? In any event, good to know. I've always been somewhat anxious about those tests because you hear horror stories where companies toss those at you as a way to get free images.

How long have you been freelancing? Just genuinely curious.

Been freelancing since December.

Didn't get a chance to thank you for the DA link- it's nice to get an idea of the general level of competition to expect.

Got any tips for someone looking to get started? I just got out of school and I'm trying to get a presence established for myself, since concept art for AAA game companies seems to still be a long ways off.

-Post your shit everywhere.
-Join art groups
-Talk to pros while still respecting their space
-Give a shit about what your stuff and constantly push on the boundaries of what you thought was your limit.
-I do not recommend going to /ic/ for advice on improving your art. I instead recommend talking to pros and art-friends about your work because they will have a more realistic understanding of what you need to fix.

Thanks for the tips! I figured as much, but it's good to get some affirmation on those.

Also, I forgot that Wyrd Games (they made Malifaux) is also looking for illustrators on their website. I'm not sure if Hawk Wargames is actively seeking illustrators, but their Dropzone franchise seems to be on the rise in popularity so they might be a good group to reach out to.

Not him but SAUCE!!!

You sound like a cool guy and image search didn't pick your work up, but would you do art for /tg created characters E.G MoleMan and try to make them canon that way like FFG did with various peoples

If I ever get the chance I will make it happen.

Also did you use the google image thing right next to one of the images I posted? Picked it up for me, but idk.

Check the acknowledgements on either talon of horus, night lords omnibus, or the first heretic. Not at my pc right now and I can't remember exactly which one it was.

OP, a friend of mine is almost finished with their homebrew system, Ops and Tactics. They're looking for artists and will pay you actual money to draw (I assume it's not 'when it's done', because that system of payment is silly).

Hop on Sup/tg/'s IRC, if you're interested:
irc.thisisnotatrueending.com:9999
#opsandtactics

first heretic mentions
>rob
>mark newton for discussions of selling out
>abnetts
>nick and christian
>alan merete dan graham and jim
I'm guessing none of those are guys from here

how many HH books have platinum colouring instead of gold

I'll keep it mind, I assume it's military-themed? Not much experience with that but I might like it a lot actually.

I'll at least save the irc link

Modern military stuff, yeah. He's even doing a not!Shadowrun splat. Opsandtactics.com is the site, if you care about the rules.

Seems like I can't reach it. DNS Servers can't be reached.

The IRC or the website? Try port 6667 if it's the former.

Website, can't really get on IRC right now anyways.

It works for me, try putting www. in front of the address, or try opsandtactics.blogspot.com for a less-fancy version.

Got it, I'll save the link, maybe get a chance to email them tonight/tomorrow

Not OP here but a different freelancer. I can't seem to get onto the IRC so I tried contact on the website, but I don't think it's sending. Is there a straight email address I can contact?

Thanks

No e-mail that I know of, use the OaTs website I linked earlier or try suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/chat.html

Sorry, apparently he does have an e-mail: opsandtactics [at] g mail