ROUND 1

ROUND 1

FIGHT!

pfft. Real painters use cheap shitty paint from hobby lobby.

Isn't that shit thicker than a bitch named Shaquanda?

no, no they do not.
First of those are canvas paints not model paints, so the ratio of emulsifier to liquid medium is off.
They will be supper think and obscure the details on the model, and if you try to thin them down the pigment level will be so low that you'll need tons of coats.

And you don't even want that super cheap stuff for canvas painting, because the ratio of pigment to snot (emulsifier+medium) is so low that you can't get good color.
Good rule of thumb, never by the absolute cheapest version of anything. From toilet paper to cars, you will be upset with trying to use it.

it is. that's the proper consistency for canvas paint.
You do want to add a touch of thinner to get the right flow, but just a bit, and since you can't take thinning medium out, the base level is bit thinker than anyone wants so you can get to your preferred thinness.

The problem is well If you have actual good acrylics, you can get okay results if you mix it no more than 1 to 2 with model paint. But don't do that unless you have to (I've yet to find a proper modeling paint replacement for Sap Green).

Can you guys help someone who just got a plastic model. I got pic related a month ago and assembled it but how do I paint it? I don't really know anything about paints so any advice would be useful.

My badass paint job says otherwise. You need to learn how to paint and quit wasting money on that expensive shit.

Boba Fett? Is that you?

I suggest the first thing you do should be spraying it white. Don't go overboard - you don't want pools of paint clogging details. Just get a nice even covering.

Once your undercoat is dry, paint the major colours on. I suggest you paint the wheels and tracks first, then the the armor. Doing it in that order will help you clean up your mistakes as you go along.

Paint fiddly details last, and after that, do some watery blends/washes and let shit seep into the crevices to make all the details on the model stand out. Add your own highlights with a dry brush with the bare minimum of paint on it.

Youtube will probably give you a better idea than simply reading this.

He's my sergeant. Everyone I play with targets him first though. Its bullshit.

is tamiya any good? I have tons of that stuff, and its the easiest to get, although I think the enamels might be too fiddly for minis

>although I think the enamels might be too fiddly for minis
enamel is very different from other figure paint.
It's very good if you want something to look like enamel, and can create a nice metalic sheen if your painting up a vehicle or something. It will interact like radioactive shitballs if you try to use other paint with it.

Vallejo>Citadel>p3

Citadel does have the better washes and their line of technical paints if fantastic.

Tamiya is kinda just its own thing but they have good spray primer.

the acrylics are already really watery, and you dont thin them for models, do you still thin them, or will that make them a wash?

Id say a combination of Citadel and Tamiya

beautiful

Vallejo primers suck

Army Painter is definitely the way to go

whats the worst that could happen if you dont thin tamiya paint? I read online tamiya is good from the bottle

what is prob with vallejo?

Tamiya only for candy coat finishes on larger vehicles Citadel for everything else

You're god damn right. A work of art. Poetry in motion.

I came.

will house paint work?

All four have their good paints and their shit paints. Stop being a brand name fag.

Yes. If you want a paint that's designed to fill in details then it's perfect.

Especially house paint.

All of those brands are fine desu
I go with Vallejo as their stuff is cheaper than Tamiya and Citadels

Boba Fatt more like.

Vallejo is the best of those listed.

P3 is hit or miss, they have some great colors, but their paint quality is uneven as shit and it took them forever to work out the kinks in certain colors.

GWs shit used to be great, but fuck since they revamped them a few years ago quality went down. Their new line shit dries out crazy quick in the container.

Tamiya I don't really use, outside some of their other products like gloss and water effects.

And If you can get it I recommend Reaper Master Series. Its good and they have some colors that typically don't show up in other lines.

Citadel has the best technical paints, Vallejo Metal Medium is a treasure, the rest are all the same shit at different prices so just buy whatever is on sale or looks about the right tone and shade to match the rest of your themes.

Except Tamiya, I have no experience with them.

I like their shades a lot.

What's the best bang/buck way to get started with painting if I've never done it before, and don't own any paints or supplies yet? Are those starter boxes worth it, or are they going to end up forcing me to buy a bunch of extra stuff?

Also, since I'd mainly be painting for RPGs, would it be better to start with mass-production painting (for example, an army of kobolds all done at the same time), or more detailed single models (for example, single PCs cranked out one at a time)?

>Also, since I'd mainly be painting for RPGs, would it be better to start with mass-production painting (for example, an army of kobolds all done at the same time), or more detailed single models (for example, single PCs cranked out one at a time)?

Mass-producing, that way you get better at it and you don't care that much if it looks off.