HERO QUEST

You probably remember this, /tg.
It was mid 90's and this shit was the bomb. The rich kid had it and after a few hours down the dungeon you had to have it too.
The artwork, the lore, the easy to pick-up rule set. Nobody wanted to be the fairy, everyone wanted to be the dwarf.
And the expansions...good lawdy, almost as expensive as the new game but worth every penny.
But I wonder if a trip down nostalgia lane is worth a hundred bucks. I'm thinking about getting a box from ebay, but only the trash auctions are below 100 euro.
Also how do you get replacement? Are you still playing HQ today, /tg? Does the game still hold up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
youtube.com/watch?v=sNwfRGLOWtc
kickstarter.com/projects/274643038/siege-of-the-citadel-2nd-edition-techno-fantasy-bo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Rich kid? It was like $20 in 1991. Which adjusted for inflation is $39. Nintendo games were like $50+ back then.

Anyway Heroquest is a great game for kids to get into tabletop gaming but it's boring as fuck for adults. I say that as someone who owns two copies and dearly loved the game as a boy. Can't wait till my kids are old enough to play. The components are good quality as well.

Oh BOY do I have a treat for you, op.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

I wish my set was in better shape (I have a frankenstein set made from two I got at garage sales for a few dollars, and both boxes are trashed).

I tried playing a game last year and it's boring unless everyone at the table is nostalgic for it. If I hadn't bought them for pocket change in the early 2000's I wouldn't spend the money now.

I used the minis for D&D mostly, and got a lot of mileage out of them that way.

By and large though, I suggest letting nostalgia go... indulging that kind of urge is what leads to people being buried in a house full of useless old crap. Maybe you should buy up some cheap fantasy minis and make up your own dungeon crawl game!

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this. youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

This guy is honestly Veeky Forums's spirit animal.

God lord, who is this wanna-be metal viking? I can almost smell the lack of deodorant plus the unwashed Slayer shirt.

I mainly wanna buy it to play it with my closest childhood friends and take a trip back to the 90s, when we were still you and full of dreams. But I guess these 100€ could be spend better.
And I'm sure as hell not gonna use some spare GW minis to buid my own dungeon crawler.

Got the core game couple months ago for equivalent of 60Eur from a local pawnshop. No idea how it got there. Only played it couple times since, because life has been busy as hell. It's fun if a bit clunky, but I guess a bit of nostalgia glasses is necessary for full enjoyment.
Being able to use Gargoyle as a proxy in various other games just for the show off factor is a nice plus.

Ye olde inn is your friend.

Look it up.

I graduated HS in 1992, I forgot when the NES came out, but as an only child in an Asian family friends to play something like this were hard to come by.

That being said I recently bought this with the kellars keep expansion for about 130$us I then bought advanced hero quest for about 80$. More of just a collectors item now, but if you have someone to play with I'm sure it's the bees knees

It's still a fun game, if you're not playing with experienced players or want something easy to play with crappy fantasy films playing in the background and booze.

>The Rich kid? It was like $20 in 1991.
Get a load of this fucking rich kid.

I had Dragon Strike as a kid. Basically the same thing as Hero Quest, D&D lite in a board game format, but made by TSR. I never actually got to play it though. Probably would have gotten me into D&D at a much younger age. Wish I still had it.

watched the video on the included VHS once. Was somehow funny...

I literally just finished watching it again. I unironically love every cheesy, dated second. When I was a kid, this was my small glimpse into table top role playing games, and despite that, I still just wanted enough people interested enough to play my weird board game with me. Now I just wish I could at least find a PDF of the adventure book, probably some decent ideas for my D&D champagne in there.

This pretty much describes my encounter perfectly.

My search for this game throughout the late 90's when I was more than 10 and actually had an allowance felt downright quixotic for years.

...and then I found the real thing, D&D. And that, God help me, is why I am here.

>dated

No, it was always like that.

>FEELING BRAVE TONIGHT?
>HOW BRAVE?

GRAVITY WORLD

Still have my copy, plus kellar's keep and witch king expansions. Used to play all the time with my cousin. Good times.

>mfw nobody plays Crumpet Quest

Had this and its expansion, sold them to a guy that never opens them and will never sell them back.

Mantic have done an updated Heroquest clone. Not sure what the game's like, but in my book they've beaten other dungeon crawlers just by including little plastic furniture, which was pretty much my favourite Heroquest feature.

It's dungeon saga. Not bad but the combat is a bit weak.

But you could proxy the minis back into HQ. In fact the skeletons with the sickle are in the exact same pose.

Oh, no! Mormons!

I recently got that for twenty euros in Dutch. It seems easy enough too find.

I actually wanted to buy Heroquest when I spotted it at a flea market but the seller wanted thirty euros and I walked away. Obviously I didn't know what this game is going for at the time.

OP here, gonna check this out. Thx.
Also nice to see this thread still going.
I recently searched my local amazon and you wouldn't believe the prices. 380€ for the Morcar's Mages expansion. Also 120€ for an "almost new" main game. Description: "Almost new considering its over 20 years old"

Just looked it up... shame about the prepainted minis. Having the heroes and creatures color coded is actually pretty helpful on a crowded board.

Also, I'm tired of boardgames with procedurally generated boards.

I really like the look of the skeleton in that game.

I was okay until he pulled out the third box.

One of the first pieces of content to make me actually laugh out loud in a good long while.

Any board games like this? Been itching for some good dungeon crawlers. I've played Myth, Descent, Super Dungeon Explorer and a few others that I can't think of atm.

I used to play this in high school with my friends. We ended up playing it twice, going through a few quests each time. After that we just used the parts for other games.

I found 4 boxes of HQ at thrift stores, some complete, some missing parts. I'd break them up into lots and sell them by componet, except for the weapon's rack & the sarcophagus. I kept those, still have 3 of them I use for games.

HeroQuest was great when it came out. But there were better mini board games to play later on like the Mutant Chronicles: The Siege of the Citadel. It was nice that not only were you forced to work together, you were also in competition as you faced hordes of NecroMutants to kill for points to buy gear.

There is nothing wrong with beards, or slayer shirts.

Go home Gerald Ford.

youtube.com/watch?v=sNwfRGLOWtc

Never heard about this game before, a friend of mine got it recently and we've played 2 or 3 times, it's pretty boring since there's hardly any decision making to be honest and you just wait for your turn to come so you can roll dice and go on.

My wife was the one who discovered this and immediately shared it with me several months ago.

I am a lucky lucky man

One little mod I made to make it more interesting for everyone:

Normally, when the heroes 'see' a monster, it wakes up and is put on the board.

I just made it so that monsters can wake up monsters, too.

So when they ignored that one little goblin that ran tearing off deeper into the dungeon, that allowed me to mark on my GM map where I was tactically re-positioning monsters for ambush.

The players still won, but it was by the skin of their teeth! They then learned to go out of their way to cut off escape routes before fighting . . . if it was worth the chance of waking up an even further monster around a corner via LOS, or stumbling into a trap, etc.

Got this game for three bucks at value village, a couple pieces were rough but everything was there. Haven't played it much but the pieces have been extremely helpful for our d&d campaigns. I am just waiting for the opportunity to bring that bad boy out with my friends.

It's just a nostalgia trip, board games have come a long way and there's much better stuff out there now.

I never owned this as a kid. However a buddy of mine did.

I just got mine off of ebay for just under a hundred. It's missing two figures and some are very poorly painted. The cards, board, box, etc. are in great shape. I'm thinking about buying another box or maybe some replacement figures. When it came in the mail, twas a glorious day.

I recently got one of the D&D board games and I like it so far.

Got it on 2008 or something for $30, it is kinda boring. The itch for a good dungeon crawler got me Castle Ravenloft and that's much better.

I'm still looking for a tabletop crawler that feels a bit more like Diablo, I mean, if you're gonna randomize the dungeon layout, monsters and treasures at least add the other quirks that make Diablo fun like hero customization, getting screwed by equipment fit for you pal who's on the other side of the dungeon and enemy AI being just good enough to not fall for obvious setups.

I actually won the second Castle Ravenloft adventure with a friend two days ago by manipulating the monster's "AI". To win we needed to kill all the monsters in the chapel but we decided that it was easier to just lure them out while my friend (the ranger) killed the only remaining one instead.

>oh no! Mormons!
kek

>Gets multiple sets
>Still paints every hero exactly the same

Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean.
I know it's impossible to actually write a competent AI program in protestant-intellect english on a single standard cardface with legible type, but things like that, the kobold wizard boss and the gargoyles are super easy to exploit and do shit no DM would allow them to.

Thankfully Castle Ravenloft is very easy to mod, just write an extra rule that doesn't allow monsters to wander too far off from the tile they're guarding in "take the flag" campaighs like Krak's machine, the dracolich's philactery, etc.

If you want to play heroquest, OP, my advice is to homebrew it a bit. Let your players get away with a few things. If one of them wants to throw his broadsword, give him a DC to beat on some d6's. I once had a player break into a house by slamming it's owner in the wall, as a barbarian is wont to do. It's a silly game, so don't be too serious.
Making up your own maps, rules, spells and characters can be fun, and isn't really too difficult, but if all else fails, google "Ye Olde Inn" for more homebrew heroquest content than you can ever play.

Meh, if I ever get around to restaring boardgame RPGs, I'm going to use Song of Blades and Heros with some houserules to make it more fun for my autism and to give my players actual options when it comes to beating stuff with ancient steel bars.

My biggest beef with Heroquest always was that the basic set had shit for options, both for players and the GM.

>the basic set had shit for options

You're not wrong. Fun is more important than following boring rules, so don't be too strict about it.

>kinda boring

Someone doesn't play gravity land...

>I'm still looking for a tabletop crawler that feels a bit more like Diablo

>Okay, you are surrounded by 20 monsters. Roll five times to whittle a single monster's health down to zero.

Yes, yes, this is a good idea.

Siege of the Citadel is a great game but requires 5 players no more, no less for optimal play (1 for each corporate faction).

The Kickstarter for the remake (with Original Designer: Richard Borg) is going on now: kickstarter.com/projects/274643038/siege-of-the-citadel-2nd-edition-techno-fantasy-bo

Co-Op bullshit. The strength of Heroquest was the human DM. The D&D board games are only good for young kids and as a source of minis.

Heroquest doesn't really give the DM that many things to do that an automated AI like in the D&D games wouldn't.
Both require much more strategy options on the enemy side to be actually challenging and therefore fun to people who want more than a hack n' slash stroll through cardboard land.

>for optimal play
Yeah but you can play it with 2 ppl. You don't NEED 5.

Hero Quest (along with Space Crusade available only in the UK) was a collaboration between Milton Bradley and a young Games Workshop. The game play is dated but the core concept and the components are good. It was a mass market game you could find on any toy store shelf circa 1991 and it was many a lads first foray into tabletop gaming more advanced then snakes & ladders type games.

With the current table top gaming market in a golden age I am pretty surprised the execs can't hash out the licensing/ IP ownership and put out a updated version. Before the BS Kickstarter from GameZone was shut down in 2 days it had raised over 2 millon USD. This property would be a slam dunk. Damn shame.

Yes but it plays best with 5 as each Corp faction has individual goals as well as the team goal vs the Dark Legion (that players take turns controling).