What makes sorcerers different from wizards again?

What makes sorcerers different from wizards again?

Magic is intuitive for the sorcerer because great great grandad did the nasty with a dragon or something.

A wizard knows his magic while a sorcerer is and feels his magic

The same thing that gave us fifteen different kinds of peanut butter, even though most of them are the same peanut flavored sugar slop.

Wizards get their magic by studying really hard and learning to manipulate the universe.

Sorcerers are born with a font of magic inside them.

So sorcerers are objectively superior? What they have is something wizards can't get, whereas sorcerers can get the knowledge wizards have.

Conceptually sure, but mechanically you can't improve your sorcerous talents and study wizardry at the same time, so they can't actually have their cake and eat it too in practice.

>So sorcerers are objectively superior?

insert the classic Veeky Forums 'depends'

If Sorcerors can do everything Wizards can, but do it naturally, then, yes of course. But maybe Sorcerors can't do everything Wizards can, or the two have access to entirely separate powers, or Sorcerors have limitations that Wizards don't, etc etc etc.

In Discworld, for example, Sorcerers are very rare (though they really needn't be) and are infinitely more powerful than regular Wizards.

No, in mechanical terms, sorcerers cast spontaneously instead of preparing spells, but wizards get to know more spells and a well-prepared wizard could easily wreck a sorcerer. Apart from that, there's no real difference.

Bat-Wizard can beat anybody with prep time

>Sorcerers are born with a font of magic inside them.
Can wizards use sorcerers as batteries?

And that was the story about how user gave me my next BBEG.

Pretty much.

If you don't know what you're getting into, best to be a Sorcerer. If you do know what's ahead and can prepare for it, best to be a Wizard.

Super-Sorcerer can literally blast him from space

*Sourcerers

Why not be both a sorcerer AND a wizard? And be an elf so you have enough time to do both.

Sorcerers are spontaneous casters, they don't need to prepare spells and can cast more often but they only know a handful of spells compared to a well-prepared and trained Wizard who could theoretically know every spell but can't cast as often as a sorcerer.

Sorcerers however, can get benefits from their bloodline that Wizards cannot and can compensate by making better use of magic devices like wands which comes more naturally to them. Wizards can and do make use of magic devices but it's not usually "standard training" and they're usually not as inclined to using them like a sorcerer.

Overall, they have their strengths and weaknesses.
Being a Wizard AND a Sorcerer doesn't usually happen since your magical abilities would be stunted if you tried to get better at them both equally or you'd get really good at one but be pretty shit at the other in which case why did you bother?

This isn't something that is supported mechanically (at least in D&D/pathfinder), but yes.
As in, while lore-wise there's nothing stopping a sorcerer from ALSO picking up books and developing their innate magic even further by studying and learning spells, ingame that would be represented by, what, multiclassing? Which just hurts your progress most of the time.
So lorewise, sorcerers have it easier and are inherently superior, but mechanically they're about equal, with the sorcerer being more powerful yet the wizard being far, far more versatile.

>ingame that would be represented by, what,
Squandering your talents and mono-classing wizard.

>multiclassing?
Multi-classing as wizard would be getting the hang of magic, then formally studying the basics and struggling to understand them.

I like to think of it as a mechanical device vs an electric one.

Sorcerers are like mechanical machines in that they only have access to a few functions, but those functions are inherent to its design to its pretty sturdy and easy to use.

Wizards, however, are electric machines: they change to their programming and have access to more functions, but each one is more difficult to use.

i'm starting to study computer science and would like to know both what it's like learning it and how the $$$ is once you graduate

As a CS major, this triggers me.

Oh, shit sorry.
Forgot my image.

>what it's like learning it
I did *a lot* of self teaching, so class was generally boring redundant.
The math classes were all awesome though.

>how the $$$ is once you graduate
There is a reason people say it pays well.

>CS major
Call me when you get into a real field like engineering, pleb.

thank you

Ultimate Magus please go

Perhaps. But consider that wizards have what sorcerers usally lack, which is... brains.
What's the point of magic if you can't understand it, Manipulate it, mold it, or learn from it ?
A sorcerer may use magic without as much effort by using the power of his soul and blood but can they REALLY learn and create from it ? Can they widen their horizons and fully understand that which they wield? Usually no, most sorcerers are but charming little children playing with fire they do not fully grasp.

4e made sorcerers and wizards draw from totally different spell lists appropriate to their differing roles, and the D&D Next playtest had totally awesome sorcerers with unique playstyles and even some gishery.

Then 5e shit the bed, tossed all of that out, and turned sorcerers into hamstrung wizards with tiny spells known and a dildos spell list. Quicken Spell looks good until you realize your other spell during your turn has to be a cantrip. Basically, sorcerer is just fodder for a warlock 2/sorcerer 18 sorclock build.

Why did it have to be this way?

Also mechanically any character could take a level in sorcerer.

It could be that ancient people bred with supernatural creatures so now every person could have a bit of that spark in them.

Because shitlords complained whenever the playtest did anything that wasn't basic shit like we've all seen before?

I had a character who started as a wizard and was very bad at most of their arcane arts because he didn't know he was of sorcerer blood.

I've always seen it lore wise as power vs versatility

A wizard can learn whatever spells he likes and as long as he's prepared can be fairly dangerous
Sorcerers are limited in the types of spells they can use and are usually themed based of their heritage

Wizards are Batman when prepared for a situation they tend to come out on top despite the odds
Sorcerers are the X-men limited powers but much more powerful

Of course mechanically it's a different story

>What makes sorcerers different from wizards again?
benedict cumberbatch

If Wizards are the nerds that has to work their arses off to get through Uni, Sorcerers are the fratboys that drink themselves blackout drunk each other night and still get great grades.

I'm going to assume you're saying Doctor Strange is a sorcerer because he's known as the "Sorcerer Supreme", but he is clearly closer to a wizard in DnD terms.

Nothing, the words mean the same thing.

>Sorcerers are born with a font of magic inside them
No those are Psions.

Sorcers just know all the bullshit wizards do inherently, but can't do as much of it. They don't "learn" so much as they train.

>relying on an external source of power
When will magicshitters learn?

>font of magic
>psions

I think you need to read the psionics handbook again.

Innate power vs Learned power

Sorcerers have some sort of source of energy they draw from. So say demonic blood or a magical artifact.

Wizards spend years to learn the spells and then cast them.

Theoretically a Sorcerer is only as powerful as the source of his energy while a Wizard is only limited by time and dedication to the craft.

Psionics are a separate power from magic in most systems that have both, and Psions typically study like Wizards do. At least in terms of D&D.

Sorcerer's don't really "know" magic like most others do, as it's just a part of their being rather than a tool they use. They do train, but it's more about improving their gift than learning new things.

>Quicken Spell looks good until you realize your other spell during your turn has to be a cantrip
But that's wrong.

>I'm going to assume you're saying Doctor Strange is a sorcerer because he's known as the "Sorcerer Supreme", but he is clearly closer to a wizard in DnD terms.

in some ways he's closer to a warlock

>tfw all 5e Sorceror archetypes are shit

>Artifical and cringy Spellcasters class division

Kys please

Sorcerers can't learn a whole lot of shit like wizards because the spells that are already there naturally get jealous and hostile.

>im cringing xd also i am 12

D&D?
No
When you think about it? YES, by a mile.
Especially once you start to house rule counter spell.

Sword and Sorcery magicians end up being a weird mix of multiclassing as Cleric, Warlock, Wizard.
There is tons of summoning planar entities, and favors for the darkness between the stars.

A Wizard is a wise and learned man who uses magic in the service of people.

A Sorcerer is an ambitious man who callously uses people in the service of magic.

Sorcerors are analog, Wizards are digital.

have fun making a brain with no thoughts.

c

Have fun making thoughts without a brain

Sorcerers are rogue agents, pawns in the hands of the foul Goda of Chaos

Wizards are state trained, state monitored and state loyal individuals groomed to turn the stuff of chaos against itself.

>Quicken Spell looks good until you realize your other spell during your turn has to be a cantrip.

I've started using twinned over quickened a heap, because of that.

Regardless, Wild Magic Sorc is the most fun I've had with a class in forever.

Dude, CS majors in this sloppy analogy are the ones that program the finely tuned animal into a human that wants to fap and argue on here.

Hardware and firmware are the "base" brain, software is like learning its hobby. It's why so many controllers are still untouched by CS.

That doesn't really apply, though, since I seem to recall that magic in all but the first two books seems to do whatever it needs to do at that moment anyway. Isn't there a scene where one of the wizards and one of the witches has a magical battle that doesn't follow any rules?

what were the original 5e Sorcerers like? Where can I find out?

you could multiclass, but it would harm both classes since they use different "muscles" so to speak

wizards use intelligence, their problem-solving, analytical skills to cast, their magic is very academic in nature

sorcerers use charisma, their force of will and determination, so their spells are more like exercise

a wizard would expect to improve by hitting the books and understanding the way magic interacts with the world, while a sorcerer would expect to improve by understanding himself and how he can tap into the magic within him and exercising his magic powers

That was one of the archchancellors and Granny Weatherwax. (rip) It's not so much that they weren't following any rules, they just chose not to hold back for that duel.

Most wizards on the disc know that magic is dangerous and fickle and choose not to use it unless they have to. Similarly, Granny Weatherwax had a personal preference for using folk psychology instead of magic, "headology," as she called it, but was in reality one of the most powerful witches on the disc when it came to talents with actual magic.

In theory, however they're two completely different skillsets (they run off different stats) that do more or less the same thing (cast the same spells).

In that sense, people with the ability to become Sorcerers are superior because they have one extra option, and in a point buy system it might be feasible to specialize in one but pick up a little of the other just in case, but once you've picked a career they both level up at the same rate (and they're both primary casters, if you're talking 3.X) so both are just as good.

Would D&D be improved if Wizards and Sorcs had different spell lists? Make Sorcs a better offensive caster but Wizards more about disruption and out-of-battle versatility (without making Sorcs totally useless out of combat either)

they already have different spell lists in 5e. although it's more like the sorcerer has a truncated version of the wizard list because i'm not sure they get anything the wizard doesn't also have.

So Sorcs are garbage unless you're only using it for that Warlock multiclass build I've heard talk of?

Potentially definitions.

I'm not a huge sorcerer fan in general, but favored soul and storm seem okay
There's already enough shit to read. A few unique spells like warlocks, paladins, or rangers maybe, but a whole spell list would just be exhausting to deal with. They probably just tried to idiot proof the wizard list, since sorcerer spells sort of need to be ones you'll get good mileage out of, but that's just a guess

That would work but you really need to add in mechanics that differentiate Sorcerers from Wizards like what they tried to do in the Play Test
W
Honestly I would prefer they work more like 5e Warlocks a few spells limited by their Bloodline and shit they can just do similar to Invocations

Metamagic has it's uses, but it does benefit a lot from a 2 level dip in warlock (much like a lot of charisma classes really) due to a huge cantrip upgrade that comes from that

5e charop shitters are convinced that anything that isn't Maximal Optimised is garbage. 5e sorcerers are fine.

Though yes, the Warlock 2 dip is quite strong.

>sorcerers can become sexy half-dragons and wizards can't

>engineer
Call me when you get into a real field like physics, pleb

Wizards can use magic.

Sorcerers ARE magical. Descended from magical beings with spell-like abilities, the ability to make magic is intrinsic to their being. So whereas wizards in some settings have to have a special talent, the potential for sorcery suggests that the person has a non-human aspect.

So my grampy was a copper dragon. He married my grammy and now they have six grandkids. Jeb and Slade were normal humans. Zoe has weird coppery hair and eyes. Chris has draconic features and is a freak. And I got got grampy's abilities to make magic just happen by act of sheer will. And I never even learned a stitch of magic theory, either. The kids in magic school spend years struggling to fire off a spell, and I just rattle them off.Oh, and my cousin Jenny has a talent for wizardry, which may or may not have anything to do with her heritage.

Or, rather, I have one or two effects I can rattle off. Wizards can't improvise or cast as many spells as me. But what they can do is learn as many spells as they want. They get breadth of knowledge, and (given a day to prepare) lots of customizeability.

In practice, wizards benefit from very powerful but situational effects. Sorcerers like spells that are either useful a lot of the time or which can be used in many different ways.

It does.

Go read the rules for bonus action spells.

If you're going to be a writefag, at least be good.

Wizards achieve their magic through careful study and experimentation

Sorcerers are a bunch of entitled little pricks that get magic through "the power of the self"

Why do sorcerers use charisma instead of wisdom (willpower)?

Same reason warlocks do

Charisma (Force of Personality)
Magic does what you tell it to because you said so.

It's worth noting that, entirely apart from the innate/spontaneous vs learned/prepared distinction of D&D, there is a distinction in connotation inherent to the words themselves.

"Sorcerer" tends to connote a darker, more sinister style of mage. It often suggests that their power is of a more occult origin, or that it (or at least they themselves) tends more toward the malevolent uses of magic. The term is often used for villainous mages (eg, Sauron, the Nazgul, the crafty mage who tried to manipulate Aladdin to his own ends in the original Arabian Nights -- turned into Jafar in the Disney version -- etc.) All else being equal, "sorcerer" generally suggests a more primal and dangerous kind of mage.

"Wizard", on the other hand, generally connotes a more refined and cultured type of mage. The word itself literally means "wise one", and it's generally associated more with learned mentor types (eg, Merlin, Gandalf). All else being equal, "wizard" generally suggests a more civilized and controlled kind of mage.

It is certainly not merely arbitrary that D&D uses "wizard" rather than "sorcerer" to refer to the casters who rely on spellbooks and studying for their magic.

A wizard knows that tomato is a fruit; a sorcerer knows not to put tomatoes in a fruit salad.

Correction: a wizard knows a tomato is a fruit, a cleric knows not to put one in a fruit salad, a sorcerer makes salsa.

. . . . . Bundt.

Literally depends on the setting. If you're talking about dungeons and dragons, flip to the relevant sections of the player's handbook.

>5e sorcerers are fine.

Every character in 5e is at least "fine". Yes, even the 4 elements monks and core beastmaster rangers.

However, Sorcerers are strictly worse than Wizards in everything but the multiclass department.

Polymorph/Alter Self

>Sorcerers
Get an instant cake that regenerates but only gets that one type of cake forever

>Wizards
Has to study/ experiment/ search recipes to make a cake, takes a while to even make a cake close to what the sorcerer gets. However every cake the wizard makes will get better and better until he can make a cake that confounds the laws of the universe

Depends on setting

More like sorcerers gets a variety of premade mixes in bulk, while wizards have a limited amount of ingredients but can make whatever they can find a recipe for.

sorcerers are like percy jackson, they have neat abilities that are fundamental to them, and they work by honing this natural talent to its full potential, discovering new powers, and ways to sue them

wizards are like harry potter, their abilities are derived from learning, with improvements coming from understanding the underlying principles, and extrapolating the myriad of ways that these principles could be applied

lets say you want to make a statue, a sorcerer takes a block of marble, and he visualizes the statue within, its form was already there, he just needs it to take shape. a wizard is more likely to take bronze and beat it into shape, it is a soft formless material, that he slowly beats and hammers until it takes the form he desires

No psions use a complete different power related to mastery of mind and body

>orthopedic
>orthopaedic