/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Elephant Of Assaye Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit
List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R
ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes
/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mediafire.com/download/d8i63pm3d1d6lgf/Osprey - CAM 166 - Assaye 1803.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jw7y38yblgb141f/Osprey - MAA 453 - Armies of the East India Company 1750-1850.pdf
mediafire.com/download/en4j24343j7c9qe/BA V2 A4.pdf
mediafire.com/?e7vclxd2mz2a8o0
weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/01/11/post-wwii-french-navy/
ghqmodels.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11252
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest

September 23rd in military history:

1338 – The Battle of Arnemuiden was the first naval battle of the Hundred Years' War and the first naval battle using artillery, as the English ship Christofer had three cannon and one hand gun.
1409 – Battle of Kherlen, the second significant victory over Ming dynasty China by the Mongols since 1368.
1459 – Battle of Blore Heath, the first major battle of the English Wars of the Roses, is fought at Blore Heath in Staffordshire.
1568 – Spanish naval forces rout an English fleet, under the command of John Hawkins, at the Battle of San Juan de Ulúa near Veracruz.
1779 – American Revolution: John Paul Jones on board the USS Bonhomme Richard wins the Battle of Flamborough Head.
1780 – American Revolution: British Major John André is arrested as a spy by American soldiers exposing Benedict Arnold's change of sides.
1803 – Second Anglo-Maratha War: Battle of Assaye between the British East India Company and the Maratha Empire in India.
1821 – Tripolitsa, Greece, is captured by Greek rebels during the Greek War of Independence.
1899 – American Asiatic Squadron destroys a Filipino battery at the Battle of Olongapo.
1938 – Mobilization of the Czechoslovak army in response to the Munich Crisis.
1942 – World War II: The Matanikau action on Guadalcanal begins: U.S. Marines attack Japanese units along the Matanikau River.
1943 – World War II: The Nazi puppet state known as the Italian Social Republic is founded.

It is 213 years since the Battle of Assaye, a major battle of the Second Anglo-Maratha War fought between the Maratha Empire and the British East India Company (EIC). An Indian and British force (6,500 men and 20 guns) under the command of Major General Arthur Wellesley - later the Duke of Wellington - defeated a combined Maratha army (40,000 men and 100 guns) of Daulat Scindia and the Raja of Berar. The battle was Wellington's first major victory and one he later described as his finest accomplishment.

In 1800 the EIC occupied three areas: Bombay on the west coast of India; Madras, stretching north and south of the city along the east coast; and Bengal, based on Calcutta in the Hoogli delta; the three presidencies separated by tracts of country governed by Indian potentates. In the Deccan, the southern central area of the Indian isthmus, the British controlled the principalities of Hyderabad (not to be confused with Hyderabad, capital of Scind on the border with Persia and now in modern Pakistan) and Mysore in the very south.

Separating the three British presidencies, stretching from coast to coast and up to the borders of Nepal in the North and the Punjab in the West, lay the sprawling Mahratta Confederacy, combining the five principalities of the Peshwa Baji Rao, Daulat Rao Sindhia, Jeswant Rao Holkar, the Bhonslar Raja of Berar and the Gaikwar of Baroda. Sindhia included the old Moghul capital of Delhi in the North and a garrison of French trained troops.

In 1802 war broke out within the Confederacy with Holkar and Berar defeating the Peshwa and Sindhia and driving the Peshwa from his territory to seek refuge with the East India Company. The British Governor-General Lord Mornington seized on the pretext of re-instating the Peshwa to invade the Confederacy from Mysore in the South and from Oudh in the North. The incursion from Mysore was commanded by Lord Mornington’s younger brother, Colonel, acting Major General, Arthur Wellesley.

Wellesley, after a notable part in the Mysore Wars, had for some time planned the inevitable incursion into the Mahratta Confederacy. His extensive intelligence network provided him with full descriptions of the countryside, towns and fortifications he would encounter. Based on this information Wellesley gave his brother a report setting out how the campaign would develop, advising that it be fought during the monsoon so that the flooding rivers would hinder the fast moving Mahratta light horse. In the event, the Mahratta army of Sindhia and Berar encumbered itself with a substantial force of infantry, severely restricting its mobility.

In March 1803 Wellesley crossed into the Confederacy from Mysore and marched on Poona, where he restored the Peshwa to his principality. Then with his British and Madras native regiments he pursued the Mahratta army. On 23rd August 1803 Wellesley reached Naulniah, where information came in that the Mahratta army was just six miles distant and about to move off. Numbers of Mahratta horsemen forced Wellesley to conduct his reconnaissance of the Mahratta position with the whole of his cavalry brigade. Wellesley came up with the enemy and found that, far from withdrawing, they were in position behind the Kaitna, a steep-banked river presenting a formidable obstacle. They were clearly ready to do battle; 30,000 horsemen massed on the right with 12,000 infantry in 16 battalions trained and led by French officers, in lines interspersed with 100 guns, to the left. Without hesitation Wellesley resolved to attack.

His force comprised 4 cavalry regiments (HM 19th Light Dragoons and 3 Madras native regiments); 7 infantry regiments (HM 74th and 78th Regiments of Highlanders and 5 Madras native regiments); with a force of irregular cavalry from Mysore. He moved with the cavalry brigade up the river, until he identified a point beyond the left flank of the Mahratta position where villages on each bank indicated a passable ford.

As the main body came up Wellesley directed his infantry across the ford to attack the Mahratta flank accompanied by four 12 pounder guns. Welleley’s infantry formed up in two lines on the far bank, with the British regiments on the outside flanks.

The 19th LD and the Madras cavalry regiments formed the reserve. The Mysore cavalry remained on the near bank. Once Wellesley’s intentions were recognised the Mahratta commanders moved their army, establishing a new line across the isthmus formed by the Kaitna and Juah rivers, their left flank now resting on the village of Assaye.

The Mahratta guns subjected the Highlanders and Madrassis to a heavy fire as they marched to the river, crossed the ford and advanced to the attack, the fire being particularly heavy from Assaye against the 74th, advancing behind a screen of skirmishers from the 2nd and 8th Madras Native Infantry (Wellesley later described the fire from the Mahratta guns as the heaviest that had been known in India). Wellesley in his dispatch after the battle stated that the 74th veered to the right in support of the skirmishers, opening up a gap between the 74th and 10th Madras Native Infantry.

At some point in the advance the British/Madrassi line came up to an extended ridge, at which the advance paused before continuing the attack.

In its advance on Assaye, the 74th came near to being annihilated, the Mahratta light cavalry swarming forward through the remnants of the regiment and the gap to its left. The 19th LD and 4th Madras Native Cavalry charged up from the rear, driving the Mahratta horse back through the British line and continued their attack into the main Mahratta position.

On the British left, where the artillery fire was less heavy, the 78th and Madras Natives stormed the Mahratta line and pushed on, the French officers commanding the Mahratta battalions in the front line abandoning their soldiers and riding for the rear, causing the collapse of a number of these battalions.

The practice for Mahratta gunners, on being overrun, was to feign death under their guns, wait for the enemy to pass and resume fire, now into the rear of the attackers. This they did, catching the British and Madras regiments in the rear with a renewed bombardment. The 78th turned back and with the 7th Madras Native Cavalry retook the guns after a determined fight with the gunners. This time care was taken to ensure that those apparently dead were so.

The success of Wellesley’s attack, in spite of the heavy losses to the 74th, caused the Mahratta army to break up and retreat.

Mahratta casualties are said to have been c.5,000 men and 98 guns. The Anglo-Indian force suffered 22 officers and 386 men killed and 57 officers and 1,526 men wounded. The 74th suffered around 400 casualties out of a strength of 500. It is said that every one of the 74th’s officers became casualties in the battle, 11 being killed.

Lord Mornington lauded the battle and presented each of the Madras units and British regiments involved in the engagement with a set of honorary colours. The British regiments and native units were also awarded the Assaye battle honour. The 74th later became known as the Assaye Regiment and their modern-day successors, the Royal Highland Fusiliers (2 SCOTS), still celebrate the anniversary of the battle each year

This is glorious and exotic black powder clash with an epic scope. The advantage of the British player's troop quality is balanced by the Mahratta's quantity, and the mass of cavalry calls for serious skill in maneuvering.

>‘I said to the Duke across the Table, “Pray Duke, what is the best thing you ever did in the fighting line?” The Duke was silent for about ten seconds then answered, “Assaye”. He did not add a word.’

mediafire.com/download/d8i63pm3d1d6lgf/Osprey - CAM 166 - Assaye 1803.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jw7y38yblgb141f/Osprey - MAA 453 - Armies of the East India Company 1750-1850.pdf

A kind user has shared Bolt Action v2

mediafire.com/download/en4j24343j7c9qe/BA V2 A4.pdf

Warband, Skirmish, Armies, or Really Effin' Big Armies scale: Which is your thing?

A funnily enough I like the two extremes: 28mm+ skirmish and 6mm grand strategic.

>be me, gentleman on horse
>good thing I brought my feathered hat to this battle today
>those fellows look confused
>"I say, you blue fellows in the silly hats look quite confused, I do believe the battle is this way, where the chap in the pink shirt is waving a sword a hat"
>thats enough war for me today time to return home
>oh look it seems that my wife has succumbed to syphilis, guess I'd better marry another 14 year old
>what a good day
Sorry but that painting is incredibly silly, especially the melodramatic arab at the bottom who seems to be either reclining or thinks he is in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.
Also how would land ownership work in an RPG?

How do you paint tank treads that well?

b8

Probably separately from the hull and with an airbrush for basecoat, light drybrush for highlights.

It's a piece of fanciful contemporary propaganda, perhaps comparable to the sort of cult-of-personality art you find in totalitarian states today, designed to bolster the Legend of Wellington. Historical accuracy was not the concern here (although the uniforms are remarkably accurate for this sort of art).

He's the real MVP.

Also it appear the free Soviet Squad gets an LMG and PPSH now, which is shenannigans.

>mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action

hi its me again with the azv3 version mediafire.com/?e7vclxd2mz2a8o0

Can /hwg/ recommend a good book that talks about the combat capabilities of the French Navy post-WW2 and maybe into the 50's?

One that goes into the general military/economic capabilities of the French military and industry would be a bonus but not necessary.

Ill never touch BA but have fun those who needed this and thanks user for sharing

>28mm
warband

>3mm
The rest

This article might be of interest.
weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/01/11/post-wwii-french-navy/

Thank you, it was quite informative.

A platoon or smaller. I like to keep things simple. ..Also helps for when trying to convince someone new to play.

Generall around platoon sized (40-50 figures per side) for WW1 and onwards, from Ancients to ACW a tad more (150-200), and since I don't play 6mm that much, only Epic (sometimes), can't comment on that.

Does anybody have a link to that website that was doing free naval stuff from a few threads back?

Reminder that Konflikt 47 belongs in /awg/ because its Occult

Don't you come bringing that petty little argument over from /hwg/

>over from /hwg/
all the way from this thread to this thread

It's a long way.

Thinking about playin Black Powder or pick and shoote, are there rules for different countries or some sort of difference between them and if so which countries armys can you play?

You should wait until you're at least 13 before playing these games.

?

Escuzi?

Learn to spell, moron.

Different countries often have differing national characteristics to set them apart from each other, most rules systems accommodate that in some way. Choice of army is entirely up to you; again any workable ruleset should allow for whatever appropriate force you wanted.

Well im sorry that english is not my first language, im atleast trying, you dont have to immidetly be an asshole

I legit didn't understand...the different campaign books add readymade army lists if you don't want to make them yourselves.

Well im sorry that you are stupid

Perhaps a good question would be: what army/country do you want to play? And we can work things out from there. Oh and please ignore comments like , our resident hater is in effect.

Well i would be interested in Sweden or Portugal, because i really like there uniform colour scheme.
By the way thank you i always get people like that which are just assholes, i have been learning english for nearly a year now because i dident really have it in school and im trying my best.

Fuck off cunt.

Well there's lots of stuff for Sweden in Pike & Shotte, they would be one of the main army choices. You should be able to play them right out of the core book. Portugal is a little harder but is definitely a Black Powder option, because of the Peninsula War. In this case you might want to look for one of the supplements, unless you made your own version from the main rules.

Best thing you could do is grab one of the main books from our OP and have a go reading through it, things will become much clearer once you see how armies/nations are simulated in these games.

So what age are you? Where do people grow up where there is no English taught in school?
Never played any of your systems so I can't help

That is the caroliner outfit. Is that a regular army? Cool. I thought like and shot was 1618-1654

>I thought like and shot was 1618-1654
The cut-off point is a bit vague, circa 1700 really. The army in that pic is indeed Swedish Carolean, the Great Northern War of 1700-1714 is very popular in wargaming, and bridges the change from pike&shot to black powder warfare.

>1700-1714

Whoops I mean of course 1700-1721; getting confused with my Malburian Wars there.

3mm skirmish games, are you mental?

29 and i live in Germany, i was thought english but the teachers were very bad and i never used it so it is very rusty

MAGNETS.

or skirmishing armour or battlesuits, I guess.

Used to know someone from over here that was transferred to Germany by his company for a while. He taught himself quite a bit of German by listening to music. The reverse could help you practice up a bit as well.

Just ignore the asshole that's been giving you grief. It's our chronic shitposter, he hasn't had anything good to troll anybody with in a while, and he's getting desperate.

Looks like Tinytanks has a new update up, just a brief note on his 6mm modern Aussie army.

I once took a German course at my terribly run school, and the teacher was actually Chinese, believe it or not. She was terrible, I'm sure she was sleeping with the headmaster or something. I wound up learning more from wargaming books!

>still pronounce SdKfz as "Skidfizz"

Im already translating songs and reading english books etc. To get a better grasp in english. Im happy that i managed that all my own im just hoping that i can expand my horizon too by comin here since i love wargaming and history

Come on, user. Sonderkraftfahrzeug is perfectly straightfoward to pronounce!

Next you'll be telling me you struggle with Eisbearbeitungsmaschinen or Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

Can anyone give me a quick overview of what has changed?

That was pretty much my experience my teacher had next too no idea how to pronounce stuff and dident teach us anything really.
Haha i have my fair problems with the SdKfz too i always pronounce it Sdkvz

Also ich mag Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftsraddampferkapitänskajütentürsicherheitsschlüssel mehr

It's hardly Welsh.

>still vaguely want to wargame something based on the Jasper Fforde novels where Wales is a communist republic, maybe VBCW2

>with Sodor and King Arthur Returned and probably Sealand annexing tiny rocks no-one's paying attention to, why not

What are some historical battles in which both sides were competent and clever, as opposed to one side curb stomping the other due to retardation?

>as opposed to one side curb stomping the other due to retardation?
>due to retardation?
Do you seriously think this happened regularly at any time in human history?

Eh, later Spanish monarchs would fit into that box, at least.

Yeah, but it's still notable. Even outliers tend to have causes other than that, often some bad luck combined with poor planning but a basically OK plan, like that time some native warriors from somewhere dosed themselves up with spoiled pork to make themselves fearless (as they'd die whether they fought or not) and raided the British headquarters... only to find they'd all fucked off out for the day with the troops.

The army showed up later, as they were dying.

But, I mean, in principle it's not a bad desperation strategy. They just fucked up the scouting and got unlucky on timing.

Kursk?

>They just fucked up the scouting and got unlucky on timing.

So...retardation. They fucked up two huge parts of their plan.

Looking for military equivalents of Fischer's Immortal, as it were.

Skirmish is like 6-7 squads

Hattin was pretty close, Raphia, Munda, Ortigara, Lutzen, Lund, Jutland, Waterloo, Hastings, Marne, even Stalingrad could be said to be more of a grind than a curb-stomp. It was the encirclement of the German army that ended the situation, not the actual battle in the city. Gettysburg, bull run/manassas, maybe even shiloh

I think more battles have been lost thanks to bad luck than bad generals. Remember Napoleon's famous query of every general: "Is he lucky?"

4th Kawanakajima is a classic for that.

based twin hetzers. crossfire looks like a lot of fun.

Do you know how army selection works in that game? Points? Scenario-based?

Got my free sample ship counter from Topside Minis.

These are random and I ended up getting SMS Königsberg, a WW1 light cruiser that ended up operating around Africa.
Not a unit I'm expecting to use any time soon since I focus on WW2, but cool for a bit of history.

In terms of product quality, this delivers on what the company advertises: high-quality stickers plus a rectangular piece of wood (of the proper size) to stick it onto.
You need to trim the sticker yourself, but I like that since it means you're not messing around with potentially miscut stickers unless you mess up yourself.

I'll certainly be looking at getting some more of these, probably for use with Naval War in theatres beyond the Pacific.
It'll be a lot cheaper and less time-consuming than getting the 1/1800 minis I use currently, even if it does look a bit less nice. Should also make it easier to get other potential players into this.

Now if only they had an EU distributor so I wouldn't have to deal with shipping costs greater than those of buying entire fleets.

A friend of mine from Iceland learned from watching TV in English with Icelandic subtitles. I've heard news programs are good for prctice since they speak clearly. You might try those to practice.

I'm jealous of native Icelandic/Faroese speakers. Being able to basically speak viking and read all the original sagas is pretty cool.

they have scenarios and points, as well as options for handicapping a slightly superior force. pretty cool organization system. The rules should be in the OP, they're only 50 pages including all the army lists/scenarios

I wound up with the same. I actually will probably keep on collecting minis, at least for WWII, but if I do branch out into WWI stuff, I just might go that route for ease of storage. It's a hefty little piece of plywood they give you, I figured it would be a piece of basswood half as thick. It gives it a nice heft for a counter.

how do i get into navals, ive never done it but i think these counters might get me into it

Well, assuming you want WW2, I can recommend Naval War, a living ruleset that's currently still in development.

It's available for free at navalwar.boards.net.

It's the ruleset that got me into WW2 naval, attempting (and doing pretty well at) striking a balance between fast playability (no mountains of tables here) while still feeling like WW2 naval (including systems damage etc).
Version 1.3 should be out soon, with the results some recent playtesting integrated.

Not everything in the war has stats yet, but things are pretty close for the European stuff. We've currently got points values and list-building selectors for the Norwegian campaign, the battle of the Coral Sea and the battles for the Dutch East Indies.

Staying on the naval topic for a bit, during my recent meeting with the Naval War developer we also discussed what orders of battle (which provide points values and describe how you put together a force) are likely in the future.

With the Dutch East Indies basically done (and an update to include certain French forces in the Norway campaign), next up there will be the French and Italian forces.
The first case is particularly interesting, since the Marine Nationale barely fought according to their developed doctrine before their country surrendered and things turned into a mess.

The French OoB will allow players to field these planned Atlantic and Mediterranean forces the way the French intended them to be deployed.
This is a precedent that is intended to be carried through to other navies as well. The big one here, of course, will be a future OoB: Pearl Harbour. This would allow players to field the US battleship force there in the what-if case of them not being taken out. The IJN side would probably also include an option to field their battleship force at the start of the war, spearheaded by the Nagato since Yamato wasn't done yet at that point.

The creation of orders of battle will probably focus on earlier stuff (up to and including Guadalcanal) until that selection is mostly complete.
If people are passionate about a certain campaign, there is an option to provide info or even background text to get the OoB for that campaign made more quickly.

What size are your bases, out of curiosity?

The models themselves are 1/1800, so they're a bit bigger than most folks are going to use for the more common 1/2400 and 1/3000. I have five mostly standardized sizes: coastal sub and small escort (like subchasers and the like) which are roughly 5/8" by 2 3/4", destroyer sized which are 5/8" by 4", short cruiser which is around 1" by 5", long cruiser which is about 1" by 5 1/2", and BB/CV sized, which is about 1 1/2" by 7 inches. Size varies a bit because they're handmade, and getting the curves basically right sometimes means they wind up shorter than that.

>mediafire.com/?e7vclxd2mz2a8o0

Thanks! I was the one asking for this yesterday.

Neat! Any suggestions for sizes for 1/2400?

I wish I could offer some of my own advice, but I don't have anything in that scale yet. This might thread might help though. The third poster has some standardized sizes a method for making them fairly quickly.

>ghqmodels.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11252

>Up she rises!

I'd argue Rorke's Drift. The Zulu issues were more communications and logistics than poor strategy.

I think he would prefer battles where the commanders were competent enough to at least draw up proper lines of battle rather than running willy-nilly in a mob as depicted, probably shouting their own names and trying to one-on-one challenge at that.

What's the best Vallejo for dunkelgelb?

Not surprisingly Dark Yellow. Which is Dunkelgelb in English. Or maybe Buff, depends on how you want it.

I personally use Middlestone, which gives a good colour as well IMO.

Several colours looking good for it makes sense, when you consider that there were several different shades historically and those could also look quite different after different kinds of wear and exposure.

Thanks. Buff seems a little light, surely? I was recommended VMC Tan Yellow, but I'd prefer an air colour, so I'll give those a look.

On a Typhoon Cobra related note, The Caine Mutiny is a cracking read.

I use Middlestone as well. Over a base prime coat of desert yellow. With a follow on wash of sienna-ish color. To bring out the gaps between panels and such.

Would you happen to have a recommendation for: ?

>Hattin

Aka "How retarded can the Crusaders be? Thank Allah!"

>Gettysburg

aka "let's charge across open ground for lulz"
Even Lee admitted it was a major fuckup

>Even Lee
What? Did he have a propensity for never admitting a fuck up or something?

What scale? I used Green Ochre for my 28mm stuff but it looks wonky in 15mm.

Pictured...

It's just a case that's clearly supported as not being played out well by both sides.

28mm. Bolt Action DAK, to be precise.

I imagine Khaki might be more appropriate for DAK, I don't think they used the same Dunklegelb for everything. Especially earlier in the campaign, they used sand colored paint or even mud.

Dear /hwg/

Does the historical wargames community have any games that are infamous for being shit, like the tabletop RPG community has shit like FATAL and deadEarth and other such things?