/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

It still is a Corprus Edition!

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Dagoth Ur.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Iy22uio-fkg
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Remanada
imperial-library.info/content/fireside-chats
imperial-library.info/content/light-and-dark
tamrielrebuilt.uesp.net/trmap/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Apart from the ears, he looks more man than mer

what is the relationship of vigilants of stendarr and followers of meridia? both groups hate undead but vigilants also hate deadras.

I never noticed the ears. Always though it's a man

I found some real life corprusmeat!

It's hard to look away from those eyes, and that gaping mouth...

Looks like chicken.

It's a neurofibroma.
I bet it tastes like chicken as well

they're kinda gristly and hard to eat

The Vigilants are pretty inflexible in their belief, so they would't think any higher of Meridia's worshippers than any other Daedra cultists.
The most interesting overlap isn't, in my opinion, Stendarr and Meridia, but Arkey and Meridia.
Someone on /r/teslore wrote a fun little text about a follower of Arkey being saved by followers of Meridia and starting to doubt his order's anti-Daedra creed. I can probably find it if you're interested.

Really, religion in Tamriel is something I find pretty interesting. How various religions and cults view each other, regional differences between the gods, and theological/philosophical disagreements within the faith.
I've seriously been contemplating writing some stories about it, but haven't gotten around to it. Probably won't.

give it a go dude, its not like you have to post it.

i like writing down stuff, you can leave it for a bit then mess around with it.

>someone else is dedicating himself to making the OPs now
Thanks corprus user

Do you think Fyr ever tried eating Corprus meat? What better way to study diseased cells than by eating the pus filled meat?

Back to page 1 you go, dammit.

That's not good, that's not good at all. Are we really running out of topics to talk about or is it just that people haven't got back from work yet? Please tell me it's the second one.

First timer in this general here and I have a question.

How much lore about (for example) Alduin and his world eating was there in the previous Elder
Scrolls titles before Skyrim?

Similarily, how much about "Oblivion lore" was in the Elder Scrolls titles before Oblivion?

Was there any more information apart from "there is this Daedra and he likes to invade from time to time" or "this dragon-akatosh-entity shows up to end a kalpa at one point"?

You took over me a while ago, some weeks I'm busy, so thanks!

Don't get too worried, when I joined it was like this, then we got like 4 threads a weekend for a while, and it's back to a slow pace.

I'm busy. Sorry.

>How much lore about (for example) Alduin and his world eating was there in the previous Elder Scrolls titles before Skyrim?
Read "The Seven Fights of The Aldudagga".

>Similarily, how much about "Oblivion lore" was in the Elder Scrolls titles before Oblivion?
What do you mean by "Oblivion Lore"?

>Was there any more information apart from "there is this Daedra and he likes to invade from time to time"
Absolutely. Daggerfall, Battlespire, Morrowind and OOG texts all touched on Dagon.

Technically Merida is an Aedra as she participated in the creation of Nirn but buggered of with Magnus on time.

May Meridia have something to do with the Soul Cairn?

Morrowind meetup when?
youtube.com/watch?v=Iy22uio-fkg

Thanks.

What I meant was, whether the lore masters at Bethesda just completely create something new for each game's main story or whether they lean on old established lore and expand from there.

So, if you took the next Elder Scrolls game, would its story be something no one could predict or something that you could come up with if you know Elder scrolls lore well enough?

Alduin was first mentioned in Morrowind in the texts Varieties of Faith in the Empire and the Five Songs of King Wulfharth.
Here's his description in Varieties of Faith
>Alduin (World Eater): Alduin is the Nordic variation of Akatosh, and only superficially resembles his counterpart in the Nine Divines. For example, Alduin's sobriquet, 'the world eater', comes from myths that depict him as the horrible, ravaging firestorm that destroyed the last world to begin this one. Nords therefore see the god of time as both creator and harbinger of the apocalypse. He is not the chief of the Nordic pantheon (in fact, that pantheon has no chief; see Shor, below) but its wellspring, albeit a grim and frightening one.
In the Five Songs, Alduin "Time-Eater" was said to have been summoned to Nirn by Orkey to destroy the Nords. He eats the Nords years until Skyrim is only populated by children. Ysmir pleads for Shor's help, who then fights Alduin on the Spirit Plane "as he did at the beginning of time" and defeats him. Ysmir then removes the effects of Alduin's curse and places it onto Orkey's people, the Orcs, at the cost of his own life.

Oblivion's plot had some pretty heavy hints in Bloodmoon, Tribunal, and Morrowind (kind of). Prior to Oblivion, what we knew about Dagon was that he was a god of Destruction, generally associated with natural disasters, he was also behind the invasion of the Battlespire.

Definitely not. That's some advanced necromancy.

Both, they do both. Alduin has existed since Morrowind. How he appears in Nordic myth since before Oblivion.

The first four games on the series follow an arc which is loosely connected to Skyrim. You probably wouldn't be able to predict what happens in the next one, because they can just make details and new info up, but everything in Skyrim, for instance, outside of the dragon war, is from earlier lore.

I'm sure he pan fried it with a kwama egg and ash yam flour batter first, user. He's 4000 years old, not some savage asslander.

>He's 4000 years old, not some savage asslander
>Cooks like a college kid

Roight, I need some help. I'm running a game set in Wayrest a few weeks after the Oblivion Crisis, and I need plothooks. The PC's are a Bosmer merc and a Breton Mage, who is part of a mage circle. I was thinking of setting them to help the reconstruction of the city through the Breton's teacher/master but I'm pulling up blanks.

In Oblivion the Nine Divines were given cities to serve as patrons of, and in Skyrim (IIRC) they were treated as a sort of traditional fantasy pantheon, correct?
I'm aware the 9 are a syncretization of nordic and altmer pantheons with a man-made-god at the head (who mantled Lorkhan, right?), but who decided what cities they became patrons of? Tiber Septim? Or, like the ancient greeks, did the cities already claim their patrons after Alessia?
And for that matter, where do Alessia and Reman stand in the faith of the Nine Divines? Were they originally just 8? And if Lorkhan represents chaos and Septim mantles him to create 8 and 1, does it not make sense that Jyggalag represents the +1 in 16+1 (the 16 being the traditionally recognized daedra princes) as an autistic prince of Order?
And another thing, is Sithis just a concept or an actual entity acting with an agenda? Could it be an aspect of Mehrunes Dagon enforcing his sphere of change and revolution, or is it just Mephala doing her thang?
Speaking of revolution, if the Redoran are the source of gravity, is M. Dagon the reason Nirn revolved around Magnus? (Okay that was a joke question)
One last question: do you think Vivec fucked off to die, kept his divinity via CHIM, or got taken by one of or a cabal of the Four Corners (and/or the Anticipations) to answer for his crimes (I'm aware of that RP between some of the devs, which I personally find to be the most reasonable explanation and kind of a blend of two of them, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks.)
Okay, one last last thing. What's the upper limit on mortality for a dunmer? Divayth Fyr was pushing over 4k and I think Baladas was too. What exactly is 'old age' for a netchiman who doesn't catch disease or get killed in battle? 1000? 4000? Barenziah was over 400 and looked old, and she was nobility with access to the best healers in the Empire.

The city chapels are more like the headquarters of that specific order, or branch of the Cult.

Akatosh is man-made too.

Alessia was the one who combined the Nordic and Altmeri faiths, that being the Eight. Lorkhan is the missing god, so it's not so much adding another to make 9 as it was subtracting 1 from 9 in the first place. Talos is a return to form.

Things get a little messy with the Alessian Order and the Temple of the One.

Sithis just is.

There's actually a theory that Dagon is an aspect of Magnus.

Vivec has CHIM. He's doing whatever he's doing until c0da.

People like Fyr are using magic, so it has less to do with being a Dunmer. Sources vary, 200 is pretty old.

Oh, and if cities did see one specific divine as their patron, that would be in following with how many of the Ayleid city states functioned re: worship.

>Akatosh is man-made too
w-what?

>Ysmir pleads for Shor's help, who then fights Alduin on the Spirit Plane
That sounds familiar.

>A fanatical sect of the Alessian Order, the Maruhkati Selective, becomes frustrated by ancient Aldmeri traditions still present within the theological system of the Eight Divines. Specifically, they hated any admission that Akatosh, the Supreme Spirit, was indisputably also Auriel, the Elven High God.

>Newly invented rituals were utilized to disprove this theory, to no avail. Finally, the secret masters of the Maruhkati Selective channeled the Aurbis itself to mythically remove those aspects of the Dragon God they disapproved of. A staff or tower appeared before them. The secret masters danced on it until it writhed and trembled and spoke its protonymic.

Akatosh is the combination of Shor and Auriel.

The Marukhati Selectives danced on top of a tower to fuck with time. They partied so hard, time broke and became the maddened Akatosh we know and love.

Reinstalling Skyrim.

What were some of the best lore-friendly mods to use?

>There's actually a theory that Dagon is an aspect of Magnus.
Please, go on

And that folks is why Shor is a snake.
Eagle + Snake = Dragon

protip, if it says lorefriendly in the description it probably ain't.

I don't really subscribe to it, but it seems to be an alternate read on the First Fight, The Eating-Birth of Dagon, of the Aldudagga. In that Dagon is destroying everything that he helped create as Magnus. There's also the connection to the Magne Ge via Mehrunes (The Razor) and Lyg.

He's interesting enough as it is, though, and the theory doesn't even really change the information we have other than a hypothetical pretext.

Too bad. Shor is a man. In the totems imported from Atmora his equivalent is the fox.

You're looking at this all wrong.

Aka and Lorkhan are the same thing. Lorkhan is the snake. Lorkhan/Shezarr (Snake) + Auriel (Eagle) = Dragon.

Just because Alessia didn't want to piss off the Nords doesn't mean Shor is anything more than what he was: the high king of the Underworld.

>Technically Merida is an Aedra
Not really.

Wayrest is actually captured by corsairs at some point. Now, that's in 4E 188, and quite ahead of your time, but you could make a surge in piracy a thing, since Imperial control has weakened.

Amidst the chaos, House Woodborne seeks revenge on Queen Elysana and the Empire. You need to stop them!

Necromancers from Orsinium are raiding mass graves for bodies.

The Cult of Trinimac is trying to spread their faith to the Orcs of Wayrest, and bind them religiously to Orsinium. Either help the Cult, or aid the worried Breton nobles.

A mysterious contact from Morrowind is quite eager to dig up information on court affairs, and will pay handsomely for sensitive information.

I have more if you need it.

Hardly a unique thing. Cities in High Rock have patron gods. For example, Daggerfall is devoted in particular to Kynareth.

I always need more, that way I can over prepare be ready for every catastrophe.

Isn't Talos technically a daedra?

>Hardly a unique thing
Insofar as it's something the new Empire of Man could have picked up from the Ayleidoon Alien Hegemony.

Not really. It is a purely political distinction.

The dichotomy if there even is one has more to do with roles and function than origin. Don't listen to the Mer.

Conscript them into the Blades. Have them bust a Daedric prostitution ring.

Exactly, and he didn't contribute to the creation of nirn and therefore is not an aedra. The distinction is not based on good vs bad.

He kinda took Lorkhan's place. And Lorkhan did take part on the creation of Nirn.

He's a divine if the people in charge call him a divine. A dog isn't a daedra because he didn't contribute to Nirn.

A dog isn't an et'ada though.
But he isn't lorkhan, and even lorkhan is a tad ambiguous on what he should be categorized as.

And neither is Talos. Your point?

hmm, hadn't considered that desu

A noble family contacts you after learning that his honoured ancestor has risen from the tomb. Face the undead, and make sure he rests in peace. In other words, stop an undead noble without destroying the corpse.

Two nobles are in dispute over a plot of land, but neither of them want to challenge the other to a duel. Instead, they've both decided to hire someone to help prove that their claim is older than that of the opposition. Discover or forge family trees, burn the opponent's documents, or sabotage the other group. Everything goes, as long as you don't get caught.

Harpies are nesting in one of the abandoned, ruined towers destroyed by the Oblivion Crisis. Get the feathered fucks out of there.

A family of powerful merchants own a family debt to a Vampire clan. Once per decade, they must surrender one of their own to the Clan in return for protection and favour. The current head has had enough of this ancient tradition, and has tasked you to oversee the sacrifice, but in reality you are to end this unholy arrangement forever.

A local coven of witches has stolen a religious artefact from great temple of Akatosh, for unknown means. They've tasked you to return it. However, the coven insists that they bought this legally from a priest of Akatosh, who used to profits to provide for those who are still wounded following the Oblivion Crisis. The either the temple doesn't know, or they didn't tell you. Unless the coven is lying.

>Two nobles are in dispute over a plot of land, but neither of them want to challenge the other to a duel. Instead, they've both decided to hire someone to help prove that their claim is older than that of the opposition. Discover or forge family trees, burn the opponent's documents, or sabotage the other group. Everything goes, as long as you don't get caught.

Team Fortress 3: Daggerfall

Guilty.

But I think it sounds fun as fuck.
>you discover that none of these noble fucks even have a legitimate legal claim in the first place

>The burghers of Anticlere, for instance, still noisily commemorate the Battle of Duncreigh Bridge, the "famous victory" of their Duke over the neighboring hamlet of Sensford in 1E 1427 (a battle which apparently achieved nothing, as each village continues to boast its own ruling family of antique lineage), by marching each year down Sensford's main street, a progress that results in numerous injuries on both sides even when it does not provoke a brief war between the "knightly orders" of the two villages.

We need more Neloth memes

#BretonLyfe

Valve and Bethesda team up. What would the game be like?

Lots of fucking fun probably, but also bugs from here to oblivion

>What would the game be like?
Buy keys to open Loreboxes (TM) to read random new books, that you can "sell" on the Steam marketplace.

Minecraft user here, still working on Mournhold. Something I always notice is how Bethesda cheats with interior and exterior sizes of buildings. I'm trying to make the Royal Palace that looks right from the outside (what you can see from Godsreach, Temple Courtyard, Plaza Brindisi Dorom, Great Bazaar), looks right from the courtyard, and looks right from the inside. A lot of TES builds have severe TARDIS syndrome.

I'm drawing lines, but I don't dare to actually put up a wall anywhere. Any advice?

Screenshots make anything further than 2 chunks look awful, I don't know why.

Just compare this to the artwork version. Bethesda cheated hard.

According to the Remanada, Alessia is the
>"sweet wife of Shor and of Auri-el"
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Remanada
and Kirkbride follows that up in his Fireside Chats (commenting on Shonni-etta) that Alessia has become
>"the mother of dragons here"
imperial-library.info/content/fireside-chats

In other words, Alessia gave birth to Akatosh by marrying Shor and Auri-El.
>"Bird and Serpent, Order and Chaos"
imperial-library.info/content/light-and-dark

How many more animals is Alessia going to bed?

Yes.

When in doubt, make it bigger

But it has already happened!

The game comes with only Imperials as a playable race. All the other races are individually available as microtransaction DLC. Their files actually exist in the game as it's shipped, and all the DLC does is unlock them. The game can only be played with an active internet connection and if the Steam server detects you've modded the game to activate the races yourself without paying for the DLC, it won't run.

To be fair, it's all metaphorical, just about all things regarding the gods are. Even Morihaus is likely a metaphor for human masculinity.
Though sometimes I have to wonder whether Alessia is just one big 'your mom's a slut' joke.

So are you dumbasses too stupid to understand the concept if different boards having different topics, or are you too lazy to click on the little link to Veeky Forums up on the top of this page? In either case, you really have no reason to shitpost on Veeky Forums week after week.

>you really have no reason to shitpost on Veeky Forums week after week.
same

>different boards having different topics
Delicious bait newfriend.
Veeky Forums has waifus
Veeky Forums has lore
Go yell at Star Wars General for being /tv/ or whatever.

It's almost as big as the Imperial City, it's gonna be the 2nd biggest city on the server. I actually made the Royal Palace bigger in proportion to the 4 city quarters.

Alright alright, old Valve then. TF2 just came out Valve.

What are the guys from Tamriel Rebuilt doing in regards to that wizardry?

mournhold is probably still in its own worldspaces

tamrielrebuilt.uesp.net/trmap/
Go see for yourself. I don't blame them for keeping it like that though.

My headcanon is that TES is a hard science fiction.

Nirn is a world terraformed in the last few thousand years by the eight god tier AI's. Mer were tweaked humans who colonized before it was fully terraformed. Baseline humans came later. All magic is a mix of nanomachines and wormholes. Daedric princes are AIs that had nothing to do with the creation of Nirn.

They're completely revamping it IIRC

>read up about Elder Scrolls lore
>very interesting, really creative in many regards
>start to care about TES beyond sex mods for Skyrim
>read about C0DA
>everyone dies except Dunmer and Khajiits
>Pelinal died for this

I know C0DA isn't canon (yet?) and that there are many heated debates about the influence Kirkbride still wields, but I can't just ignore it either.

I N D I S T I N G U I S H A B L E

If I say any half-assed crackpot theory confidently enough, will people accept it as a valid interpretation of lore?

Wormholes and nanomachines specifically. Virtually anything can be explained with wormholes and nanomachines.

Well if it has some well hidden contradictions of canon then we can all happily wasted hours of hours of our lives discussing it.

c0da is shit

try teslore :^)

>c0da is shit
That's a tad harsh. The main story of c0da seems like it's even more drug-induced bullshit than some of the other obscure lore, but the concept of the world ending, Numidium fucking everything up, and space colonies in the moon is pretty neat. It just needs a continuation where the world is re-created or the survivors settle other planets/planes and evolve into more diverse races again, because fuck Dunmer and Khajiit being the only species of Mer (RIP Men) to survive.
It also makes all the political struggles on Tamriel pretty pointless when almost everyone goes extinct anyway.

You'll find some cardigan-wearing tryhards insisting that literally any interpretation is valid because "kirkbride sed it in le c0da". Fuck them. For most people, if you're talking complete shit then it doesn't matter how confident you are, it'll still show.

I liked to think that other races had escaped to Secunda.

>try teslore :^)
Should I create a reddit account?

Is High Rock as cosy as the IRL Breton homeland?

...and as boring for us euros

u wot m8
Brittany's architecture is pretty unique, and the coastline is beautiful (and quite different from the sort you'd find in the Low Countries, Northern Germany, or the Mediterranean).

C0DA was never meant to be canon, to say so is completely misinterpreting what C0DA is.

My town looks just like I literally have a medieval wall out of my window.

Redguards survive as well, in a Waterworld style situation
Pretty sure the only race that gets wiped out is the Altmer, because they're whiny fuckers.