GMing use to be respected

>GMing use to be respected
>These days people have to apply for the "privilege" of being a GM to a pack of players

nice dog. can you post more of those

Since when?

>Used to be respected
You want to know how I know you're lying?

No they don't. Stop baiting.

I do hate the entitled nature of those (few) groups on roll20 or the game finder threads. Most players, though, seem to just want to actually play the game and are immensely grateful to have someone take on the burden of being GM.

Cool story, bro.

It's weird.

It used to be that Veeky Forums would have threads talking about some random nonsense and then everybody would join in out of good fun and creativity.

However it seems like a lot of these kind of "troll" threads are more focused on trying to emulate real-world buttmad as opposed to fantasy-land buttmad if that makes any sense.

Like, it's not about creating insane and implausible scenarios with the veneer of plausibility within their fantasy world, but rather insane and implausible scenarios with the veneer of plausibility with our real world.

elf slave what do?

Not OP, but as a GM I would say that I get respect from my players, but I think that is mostly from competency.

Otherwise, for as long as I have been playing[9 years], GMs have not had inherent respect as their is too much self-critical gaming media, like The Gamers or Zero Charisma, I wouldn't say that gaming as a whole exactly has alot of respect externally.

I agree. More dog pics.

user, that's a tiefling.

It's an imp you philistines.

just assume i put the laughing girls picture here

In my experience, the amount of respect you get from DMing is directly related to your players.
Respect = PlayerNotDouchiness^(DM Competency).

So if your players are douches, they'll respect you as long as your competency is even?

I think I can agree with that; I've had multiple players, and generally the ones that don't take the game seriously, don't tend to respect their GM (with the people I'm meaning, I've both GM'd, Played with and Played under).

I'm not a must b srz all the time, but if you interrupt the GM's narration to make bad jokes or won't shut up when other want to speak then its obvious they can't respect them.

I meant as a non-negative going towards positive infinity where 0 is Virt, but douches are inconsistent, so sure.

wut

Maths joke.

It IS a privilege to GM for players that are actually worth their salt. But I would never GM for an already existing group of players.

I don't know their play style, nor the kind of mood they like, nor if they're complete lolrandumb nutjobs and therefore, I could spend a lot of time on things they just won't appreciate.

In my case, however, GMing (and mentoring people into GMing) is also a duty, because I've dealt with enough railroads and featureless plains in my life. Because my time is valuable.

> But I would never GM for an already existing group of players.
*as a newcomer, of course.

I share this sentiment.

I can agree with that, i got involved with a pre-established group, 5 friends who were already friends, most of them are good players individually (especially one of them), but when they come together the typical dynamic changes and the game becomes more about riffing off each other.

>it's a GM with a victim complex thread in Veeky Forums
Why are so many of these?
I Gm, I literally can do whatever I want I'll still find tons of players who want to play in my games, why? because we're a scarce bunch

The hell are you talking about

Heck, had one try to GM for my group. A 3.5 lolrandumb munchkin. Wanted to try to DM 4th Edition, and asked us to be his players. Within the first three sessions he:

> Tried to push us to roll for stats, rolling 4d6, keeping all.
> Introduced a DMPC that didn't fit with the All-Dwarf, all-priesthood-of-Moradin to "guide" us.
> Made us find artefacts. Not magic items. Artefacts. Dwarven ones.
> Mind-controlled the paladin into wanting the artefact axe he really did not.
> When the paladin gave in and took the axe, disintegrated the axe he was already using to force him to use the artefact.
> When the dwarf would fight with the shaft of his former axe, disintegrated that too.
> Introduced a new player. Made him roll a Goliath praying Bahamut because he would fit in just right... with the DMPC.

So the game shattered.

Basically, that sexual liberation showed everyone how much he sucks at being a woman, and complaining that nobody court his fat ass.

That my just be an area thing, I live in a big city and go to a student rpg society. The number of people who have been GMs in the past or who currently are is about about 40% of the overall base. We probably end up with the right number for the players only because the society runs 3x slots every year and not every GM runs all the slots every year.

OP, those roll20 posts where underaged players are waiting for a DM to apply for the privilege of DMing their homebrew world where everyone is a half-dragon rarely get any answer, and if they do, it's from DM who are just as incompetent as the players.

They're just a symptom of a fundamental lack of understanding from beginners who has been attracted to ttrpgs by youtubers or some shit like that.

Are you kidding? I wish my players would revoke my GM privilege so one of those other lazy assholes could finally take over.

Every time I bug one of them to do so, they run one or two sessions then decide it's too hard for them.

>Why are so many of these?

Because people want it to be a meme.

It's only because of memes.

>rolling 4d6, keeping all
??????
so your stats would be 4-24
what