EDH/Commander general

Fun Police edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Is she a fun police too?

She is very much a Fun Police

Oblivion Stone needs to be reprinted in the next commander product. 8 mana planar cleansing should not be so expensive.

Literally every deck I will build that does not have white in it will need one, because fuck staring at shit you can't remove.

I wish this card only hosed card draw that your opponents controlled. It would've been fair and fun instead of busted broken. Like a hate bear.

low print run combined with a buyout after halfway decent Modern results will do that to the price of anything

>only hosed card draw that your opponents controlled
What do you mean?

I basically buy every bit of MTG sealed product that comes out, so I'll take a duel deck if O-Stone doesn't make sense in 4 color. Since every deck except one will have white.

But yeah, I have about 20 cards left for Reki and the only cards even remotely expensive are O-Stone and Vorinclex.

Vorinclex' price I just don't get. I might just not run him. It isn't like I have reanimator in monogreen.

Not him but he probably but he probably meant something like "Your opponents cannot draw cards as a result of spells or abilities they control" or something like that.

>"Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls would cause that opponent to draw a card, if they have already draw a card this turn they instead do not draw a card"

A bit convoluted sure, Wizards could probably word it better, but that's what I'm guesses he's trying to get at.

If a spell or ability an opponent controls would cause them to draw a card, he or she skips that draw instead.

Bam, doesn't affect draw step. Though it is nonintuitive and doesn't affect monarch, as far as I know.

Whatever. Rules Guru could make up some wording.

>Vorinclex' price I just don't get
A one-sided Mana Flare combined with a land tapper is a real rarity in green, so I get why he'd be in demand, but I do agree that the price is stupid

Monarch is a triggered ability controlled by the Monarch.

You can also hit people with him.

...also true

t. green player

Not a commander, but...

Putting this out after a Lattice makes for Old Testament levels of anger

Cool. I remember hearing that it wasn't an emblem so I wasn't sure what kind of object it counts as, if any.

Anyway, he could've been cool, but he isn't. Ah well. I guess you could just run him and 0 windfall/mass draw effects and it would be as if, but eh.

Anyway, I want to avoid my monogreen deck being too ramp heavy, but since it is Reki, I end up drawing a lot more cards than I originally thought. Would something like Exploration be smart or will that trigger people? I don't even run Azusa because I know people rightfully hate the bitch.

Yes you must be playing green to play vorinclex. Good insight

There's a guy building Melek and I gotta stop him from having fun. How?

Why bother? He's stopping himself.

Are you implying Melek is bad? What, because he's six mana and dies to removal?

Teeg

graffdigger's cage

>Waaaah little permanents means no fun!

Quick, perhaps silly question.

What are the mulligan rules for commander? I tried to find something about it, and found some rules from several years ago, but then I also see people mentioning "the old rules" as if they have changed.
Where can I read the rules on this?

He genuinely is one of the worse commanders. I like him too, but six mana, tiny body, requires library manipulation or a lot of luck and needs to survive for a significant time to do much.

Like, I love jank too and have seen a Melek deck go off but there's no denying that Melek is pretty rough.

It is on the commander site. Anyway, the current official rule is a regular MTG style mulligan (i.e. Full mulligan, Vancouver mulligan, non-partial Paris, etc.).

However, even if you are playing 1 Vs 1, you still get one free.

It used to recommend partial Paris, but people abused it. If people use it now, it is pure house rules.

It used to be that you could get rid of any number of specific cards in your hand and draw that many minus one. This suited the singleton format well and let people run fewer lands. This is called Partial Parisian.

Now you have to get rid of your entire hand, then, at the end of taking mulligans scry 1 if you have six or fewer cards in your hand. This is called Vancouver.

Bear in mind the first mulligan is always free in multiplayer formats regardless of which one your group uses.

Honestly, I'd place him as second best UR spellslinger after Mizzix, and I don't think he's /that/ much worse.

Building athreos any tips ?

Hatebear Athreos is a thing. Just be sure to include win cons and not dink around too long.

Using grave betrayal plus any wrath cards
And debt to the debt less as main win cons

>Is she a fun police too?
What a shame that her ability doesn't say "sacrifices that many permanents"
That wording would prevent all draws. Look at the wording of Notion Thief, it has to be worded like he is.
You're supposed to run a very small amount of permanents with him. There's only a very small amount of creatures/enchantments/walkers or artifacts that are not mana rocks you can justify running if you're not a shit deckbuilder.
Melek is borderline broken if he was cheaper.

how is he?

Be a faggot and do shadow born apsotle.

DID SOMEONE SAY FUN POLICE?
Suppression Field is probably my favorite card in the deck. It's hilarious when someone taps out for a planeswalker and can't activate it the first turn, or when someone's playing any commander with activated abilities. Also hoses fetches.

Forgot commander
brb killing myself

Rurik Thar

So is Leovold going to end up like Prossh? Clearly being a cancerous commander but Sheldon swears up and down he's fine because he just made a deck for it?

would it be a dick move to include Newrakul in a deck?

No. It's not half the card her first printing was.

Why would you be?

Notion Thief doesn't talk about spells or abilities or your opponents control.

Draw step isn't an ability or spell.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be worded the way it is. They could've figured it out. They just figured a 3 color 2/2 may as well be busted with Wheel and Deal.

Only if you consider any mindslaver effect a dick move.

Which some do.

no

now if you cast both oldrakul and newrakul-- possibly in succession of each other--in 1v1, then you're most likely a dick

Can someone explain to me what makes prosh so bad? He just looks like an efficient token dude. Is there a combo that I am missing? Is it really just food chain that everyone is so pissy about?

NuEmmy honestly isn't even very good outside of French Commander

More likely it is that he is essentially an unanswerable efficient token dude.

What's the most TTGL commander, /edhg/?

>French commander
>Where all the fun cards are banned for "fun"
Why would anyone play that

All generals are "essentially unanswerable" ever since the tuck change.

Beats with tokens hardly seems disgusting by the standard of other oppressive commanders though. You can stop it with wraths and pillowfort, having your own doods out to block, etc.

Doesn't seem as bad as combo generals (even one more mild like azami or something) or something really dumb like leovold right now.

Depala, Pilot Exemplar (will be shit for a long time tho) and Child of Alara

The only unanswerable commander is Skithiryx.

Post underrated cards

I showed my Daretti deck to someone at an LGS once and he was insulted that I was running Mindslaver and said he wouldnt play with me if I ran it. I dont even run Stax elements I just run cards that are big and flashy but I hate it when people dont let others play however the hell they want in fucking EDH.

Fun
Run it with creatures that have on-death effects as well.

no hexproof, no protection, no bullshit. Just tap everything. Perfect for late game.

lots of mileage out of this one

Different kinds of fun. French is a competitive format, whereas multiplayer very much isn't.

Food Chain, Purphoros.

I think it depends on how the deckcis designed, and run. Mine is degenerate combo deck, so I understand some of the hate there.

That been said Prossh is vulnerable to targeted removal, and there are a bunch of nasty enchantments that fuck with tokens. Gatecrash had Illness in the Ranks, which will shut down kobold production. Then there is this little number too.

give me efficient, non-red double strike enablers. they can be creatures or whatever

The guy was just a shitter, you're fine.

Ajani Caller of the Pride
Battle Mastery
Fireshrieker
Silverblade Paladin
Ghostflame Eidolon

They stop being cheap pretty quickly.

i basically learned to always run reliable artifact removal or expect to lose

Tazri, maybe. MtG isn't at all comparable to TTGL.

>unanswerable token spawn in a jund combo deck
>there is never a point where you won't get value from prossh
>can either lock the board down with sac outlets or beef up prossh for a one shot
>Food Chain, Purphoros, Warstorm Surge and Impact Tremors exist

what does a Marath deck tend to look like?

Prossh doesn't beat with tokens, dummy. You die on ETB or before priority is passed.

>bought some conspiracy packs last night, my girlfriend cracked me a Gratuitous Violence, Irresistible Prey and Spirit of the Hearth
>start digging through my cards, find this spicy bastard
>decide I'm going to make Uril voltron with cantrips and tutors
Anything interesting I should include? I play 1v1 nonfrench and I'm planning on making a big ol' Uril, and doing something that makes sure no one can block. I found some neat things like Concussive Bolt, Ruthless Instinct, and Lure, I just have tried theory crafting this deck for far too long.

Yeah, it's pretty much Blaze stapled to a dragon.

But it's Blaze stapled to a dragon.

>3+ card combos
Oh OK it is just bad players that think he is OP. Card looks strong but nowhere near as bad as roffelos or most generals with even a tutor effect.

Mindslaver doesn't exactly stay on the field.

You didn't know anything about the deck and you try to spout some elitist bullshit that is FALSE, you idiot. Food Chain+Prossh is a two card combo because Prossh is actually always available.

And Food Chain is degenerate with a lot of other cards.

I think it's mostly just the idea that it does something even if you get rid of it, even with counterspells. The general commander community has this weird double standard where they hate people stopping them from doing what they're doing, but they also hate things that can't be stopped. This is some of the reasons why people really disliked Derevi and Oloro as well. Derevi is the only one who actually can do something that could be considered unfun but the principle of the matter is that the rules don't apply to her.

I find this a shame because I thought the M13 legends played in the coolest design space but they were pretty unpopular afaik because of that on top of building into powerful decks. But they do something cool in every commander set so it's not a huge loss. Just less interesting than playing with the inherent mechanics of commander.

>I have to see those stupid Masterpeice cards on EDHrec every time I see any of the reprints
>the prices don't reflect the masterpeice costs at all
>and most of them are incredibly awful looking
Fuck, I am not excited for this trend with reprints. Couldn't they just print "Masterpiece" packs with whatever reprints they want to run, stick 5 cards in them, and make them $30-$50?

Let it ride. If he's built the deck right (I.e., for fun), the thing will be packed with more of the janky UR spells that'll explode in his face as much as they do in yours.

What exactly motivates people to make Nekusar decks

seems like the most boring shit ever

You need a third card to make prosh plus food chain actually do anything for you, it's a 3 card combo. You can get infinite creatures , an infinite/infinite general an infinite mana with the combo, but you need a 3rd card for haste, or an ETA effect, or a mana sink, etc. Furthermore all this shit happens at sorcery speed. Blow up food chain when prosh costs a bazillion mana and you actually do "answer" him as soon as that main phase ends.

Prosh is automatically less degenerate than any general that combos with MoM.

Reminder pic related is BUSTED AS FUCK in endrek sahr

>stupid fucking retard in this thread can't understand why prossh is broken

Look at him and laugh

Kaladesh in general looks really awful in terms of art. The steampunk "aesthetic" doesn't mesh well with Pooinloostan. It feels like machinery designed by art students rather than actual mechanics, way too much curving gold and metal everywhere.

Not really, it's decent in any tokens deck but it's not broken

Also you can't sac the tokens that trigger when you cast this

This is probably 100% what it really is.

>stupid fucking retard in this thread can't understand why explaining really powerful cards to new edh players expands the format and keeps it alive

Look at him and laugh

Enderek only makes thrulls off of creature spells, dude. And with the right deck, this can easily turn the tide of the game

>sorcery speed
>requires creatures on your table
>can't go through hexproof
>can't go through indestructible

it seems meh desu senpai

in competition against stuff like voldaren pariah, barter in blood, life's finale and so on, it's pretty much just inferior

I wanted to do a grixis wizard tribal. No wheels, or stuff to boost damage. Of course I failed utterly at that. What was intended to be a friendly deck, ended up being one of the more hated decks.

I thought someone said already that it's because his tokens can't be stopped

Didn't they literally have an engineer on the team for worldbuilding Kaladesh? I mean I'm sure realism wasn't a huge issue but I'm sure the aesthetic is not impossible.

Damn, that isn't broken, but it still isn't too bad.

Omnath.

I'm just really disappointed. I was going through some of the older cards from New Phyrexia and Mirrodin Beseiged, and things are noticeably better. Almost every common is fringe-playable, the art style is interesting, the flavor text is on point. I just feel like things have been diluted to make the game more accessible. This whole NWO "mythics need to be more complicated than rares, and rares are always better than uncommons" bullshit is really depressing.

NWO only affects commons. We can see some pretty wordy and complicated uncommons.

huh, i was thinking it came in tapped

how do I make a non-boring control deck

Care to tell me what a strong, non-broken general looks like?

At this point I bet you think the only fair generals are the vanilla guys from legends.

do you know what control is
play voltron, good voltron is typically just a control deck that wins with its commander while staving off other threats (or in other words aggro control)
but even that could be construed as boring since you'd hypothetically win the same way every time