Ultramarine + 1 knight paladin army list

Hi,

I very slowly finish my army, and now made an army list. Can you give me some feedback?

Demi company + 1 knight paladin
1 Space marine captain + Relic blade -> 115 pts
10 tactical marines, plasma cannon, plasma gun, power fist, plasma pistol -> 135 pts
10 tactical marines, plasma cannon, plasma gun -> 100 pts
10 tactcial marines, missle launcher, combi melta -> 95 pts
Bike squad -> 63 pts
Devastator squad, 4 Gracv canons, 1 grav pistol -> 225 pts
Librarian in terminatour armour -> 90 pts
Imperial Knight: paladin, melta, Twin Icarus Autocannons -> 420 pts

Total: 1243 pts

Does that list make sense?

Your point values are a bit fucky, 10 barebones tactical marines should be 140 points

change heavy bolter for missile launcher.
How are you deploying the librarian and the captain? they seem like easy targets.

Crap. My wonderful excel formular had an error. Now it's 1453 points.

To be honest, I don't really know, I hardly have played any games. my army list is mostlyx based on what I like.

The basic idea was to position the Knight to kill light infantry from afar, use the Grav-devastators to eliminate TEQs and vehicles, while advancing with the tactical marines and the captain behind them. The tacticals split up to secure objectives, or pin enemies so the knight can eliminate them. The captain challanges other independent characters if necessary. The librarian stays behind?

Conceptually your army is a bit wierd. You have a super-heavy in a sub-1500 point game which is going to rankle, regardless of how well-balanced the unit in question is.

You have no transports and as SM you have no drop pods. So you're footslogging. That makes you SLOW. The fastest unit you've got is the
Super-Heavy/those bikes, and you have no real long-ranged anti-tank except the super-heavy.

Get some transport. Rhinos or Razorbacks, or something to make your dudes mobile. In addition, unless your captain is embedded in a squad, he's going to get focused down right quick for easy VP's.

Hi, long time Marine player here.

I like that you've based your army off of a Demi-Co, as I think that's a very solid place to start, however there are some problems.

>You need some transports, Marines have some of the most cost effective in the game, is practically a sin to not use them.

>The Knight should probably be left out until you're in the 1850 range. This is meta dependent of course, but in general the right move I think.

>Your Librarian can not actually be taken, as there is no spot for him in a Demi-Co, but we can fix that with some list building magic.

So, before we go any further, tell me what your favorite SM units and tactics are. Would you like to make sure a certain unit is featured? Maintain tactical flexibility or focus on a specific style of play? Are there any special characters you like?

Also, please list exactly what models you have currently, that'll help construct starter lists.

21 Bolter Marines
2 Flamer Marines
1 Sergeant with X

Like that.

Your point values are off, and I would recommend against cramming 4 special weapons into a tact squad with no transport.

I still don't know what play style would suit me, I still haven't gotten a feel. In general I prefer to be flexible until I find something to exploit. So far I simply try to mash stuff together I like which means librarian, meltas, knights

So far:
13 tactcial marines, 1 tactical with powerfist and plasma pistol, 1 tactcial with plasma gun, 1 tactcial with combi melta, 1 tactcial with rocket launcher, 1 librarian, 3 biker marines, 3 biker scout marines

Okay, I'll build off that to make a starting list for 500 points, then I'll work my way up.

You don't have quite enough models right now to reach 500 points, at least not very well, so here's what I'd recommend.

First, strongly consider the Betrayal at Calth box, the value of what you get in there is staggering. It's where I usually tell new Marine players to start.

Second, if the Betrayal at Calth box isn't your thing, another box of Bikers, a Drop Pod, and a Razorback kit (make sure you build it so you have access to a Rhino as well, just don't glue in the back plate) will really help you move along.

Two 500 point lists in the next post.

That is great! Thanks!

From history, I bought the Demicompany box first and started with it, then went a few times to shop and bought what I liked without thinking much. That included the Knight Renegade box when i heared it would be out of stock soon. Only then I started to look at the rules. Actual painting stalled because of work, long vacation, and when the nozzle of the primer broke off.

NEEDS MOAR DAKKA!

List A: Requiring a box of Space Marine Bikers.

Captain w/ Artificer Armor, Bike, Thunder Hammer, Auspex - 165

10 Tactical Marines w/ Plasmagun + Missile Launcher - 170

5 Bikers w/ 2x Grav-Gun, Melta Bombs - 140

This leaves 20 points for filler upgrades. I'd suggest picking 20 points out of the following: Storm Shield for Captain, Lightning Claw for Captain, Digital Weapons for Captain, Combi-Weapon on Tactical Sergeant, Combi-Weapon on Biker Sergeant.

Got to this point and saw your post about having the Demi-Co Box, that'll help, you don't really need Betrayal at Calth then. Since you have those models, I'll just jump ahead to 1000 points for the next post.

At this point, let's start working towards a Gladius at 1500, I think a Demi-Co at 1000 is a good start for that. So, just jumping right in.

Captain w/ Artificer Armor, Bike, Thunder Hammer, Auspex - 165

5 Tactical Marines w/ Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Rhino - 130
5 Tactical Marines w/ Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Rhino - 130
5 Tactical Marines w/ Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Melta Bombs, Drop Pod - 130

5 Bikers w/ 2x Grav-gun, Melta Bombs - 140

5 Devastators w/ 4x Missile Launchers - 130

I'm going to stop here for a second, this is 830 points, and is a solid Demi-Co. We have 170 points left to spend and quite a few different ways to do it.

We can:

Add in your Dreadnought with either a Lascannon and Missile Launcher for ranged support, or a Assault Cannon and Power Fist in a Drop Pod to bully them right from the start. Also if you like the kit an Ironclad Dreadnought in a pod would be brutal here as well.

Add a new detachment of a Librarian and two units of Scouts for some Infiltrate and Psychic fun.

Add a small Librarius Conclave for even more psychic fun.

Upgrade the Bikers to a Command Squad on Bikes with an Apothicary, then add in an Assault Squad or Land Speeder as a replacement fast choice.

Add in a small 10th Co Task Force formation of 3 5 man Scout Squads (and/or your Scout Bikers) to actually get a full Gladius in at 1000.

Or we could also fill in the Tactical Squads, but as you'll see as you look through your options, they're generally better off without a heavy weapon as they want to keep moving, so the extra 5 guys kinda get wasted, or at least not used optimally.

Thank you for reminding me of when I was 9 OP I literally had this army minus the knight.

Before moving on to 1500, I want to put the breaks on here for a bit and stop and talk about Chapters and paint.

You mentioned in the OP that you were planning on playing Ultramarines, is there any particular reason for that? Do you like the paint scheme or fluff?

Personally, I'd recommend looking into the existing Chapters and finding one you like the look and/or fluff of, and rolling with that.

If none of them really are your style, make your own! There are 1000+ different Chapters in existence, but GW hasn't even touched on 20% of them. This is on purpose so people feel free to create their own, this is one of the best aspects of the hobby IMO, and something to consider.

Here's a bad picture of some of mine.

Tomorrow I'll visit my shop and buy the bikes. I like the idea of biker captain, and that would fit perfectly. I do love mobility, and at some point I'd like to have a techmarine on a bike to repair my Knights. Plus I like mobility.
I think I go for ironclad Dreadnaught, Librarian conclave (would have done that anyway) and more scouts.

For the chapter I have chosen the Ultramarines. I like both the fluff (in particular the primarch) and the colours. I experimented a bit with 4th chapter, but I couldn't make the green work, so changed to 2nd. And since I like the ones I painted, I won't repaint them. The only other chapter I might consider are the Black Templars, because again I like fluff and colours, but decided against it because I don't like the not the crunch and lack of psychers.

The jump to 1500 is probably where I'd be able to help you the least, as it's where you add in the auxiliary formation to turn your Demi-Co into a full on Gladius Strike Force.

At this point, I'd also strongly recommend picking up the Angels of Death supplement book, the new formations are nice to consider, even if you don't play Raven Guard, White Scars, Salamanders, Iron Hands, or Imperial Fists.

The only trick at this point is making sure your 1500 list has room to cut a few points to fit the Knight in at 1850, which I don't think you'd have any trouble doing.

As a quick side note, I like basically all the Auxiliary Formations except the Centurion Siegebreaker and the Land Raider Spearhead.

All of the other formations are good and flexible enough to work in just about any list, I'd also suggest looking at the Raptor Talon Formation if you find yourself wanting Stormtalons but not wanting to take a Stormraven, although you won't be able to count it as your auxiliary.

Raptor Wing*, the Raptor Talon is a Chaos formation.

Awesome, sound like you should be happy with what you get, all of those are solid.

The Techmarine on a Bike might require some conversion work, and he'll need an Armored Task Force to fit into a Gladius or a pair of Scout Squads to be taken along side of one, but he should work okay. He also packs a supprising amount of punch with his AP1 Servo Arms, just watch out for Lascannons.

Any specific questions or list ideas you want to bounce off me?

I'd suggest looking into a program/app called Battlescribe, it's a list making tool that's really awesome for stuff like this.

For 1500 I was thinking about getting a bar-bone second demi-company to get a full Gladius strike force, as far as I understood that gives me free transports.

5 Tactical Marines w/ Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Razorback +95
5 Tactical Marines w/ Plasma Gun, Combi-Plasma, Razorback +95
5 Tactical Marines w/ Meltagun, Combi-Melta, Melta Bombs, Drop Pod +95
chaplain +65
1 Assault squad +70
1 devastator squad, 4 lazor canon, rhino, +130
"cashback" for 2 rhinos and drop pod from list above: -105
total: +440

Then I have 60 points left for the 1500 army, and 410 pts for the 1850 army, which means I need 10 more points for the Knight. Maybe I use the 60 points to get Chaplain Cassius or upgrade my captain to Chapter Master.

It looks like your points are off again, a Chaplain is 90 points, and a Dev squad with 4 Lascannons should come in at 150 points. You'd also want a pair of Flamers for your Assault Marines at least, so there's another 10.

It's doable with a light 10th Co Task Force or one of the other small Auxiliaries.

Be warned though, there are a few things you should know about this list, as it wasn't designed to be played at this level.

>A Battle Company Gladius is one of the stronger lists in the game in objective based games, and it might earn you something of a similar response to bringing a super-heavy against some people.

>You will have a notable disadvantage in any game that uses Kill Points, so much so that a list of equal power is likely to virtually automatically win.

>You are the vanilla of the vanilla, just a lot of it. Depending on the type of player you are and the type of player you go up against, you/they may find this list somewhat boring to play.

>If you decide you don't want to field a list of this type, you are left with a fairly large chunk of models that would basically only be used for this type of list. For example, would you ever take a 6th Razorback if you had to actually pay for it? Probably not.

I'm not saying that the Gladius is all bad, but I wouldn't build towards it as your first list, as it's such an all-or-nothing build to do right.

At 1850 you have more points to give it a bit more flavor, but then you're not using your Knight.

That settles the issue if I can take Cassius. And now I will have problems with the knight.

That is an important info. I think I will play a while 500 and 1000 pt games and hope I will develop my style. Playing vanilla is usually not what I like to do, I rather mix and mash and see what happens. I probably will screw around with allies and different auxillias.

That's what I'd recommend.

If you're looking for allies, look at Assassins, they're pretty easy to drop in and each adds something unique that you can't really get anywhere else.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Basically at all times we have a 40k General thread up on here. In the OP there is a link to a torrent site that has all the codexes on it. Download anything you want there so you can see if it's something you'd actually be interested in buying before spending any money.

I downloaded a few codices with the link, but it's not helping. Seeing that stuff makes me think less and buy more ;)

Forcing yourself to paint what you have before you buy more helps hold that off, for a bit.

>for a bit
very true.