Kaladesh Prerelease

Ok prerelease tomorow,what advice do you have

Other urls found in this thread:

tokyomtg.com/events.html.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

open an invention

which one is your favorite ?

just dont play blue and u will be fine

What ARE the color combos in the new set?

Pick any 2 colors that aren't blue,

>paying $50 for a $7 card
"No".

Blue doesn't strike me as Theros Green level bad.
And in Sealed you pick whatever the pool has as the best card. Don't take advice about what color or colors to steer towards in sealed, because you can't do that in sealed.

Enemy, the Land cycle almost always gives away how your "supposed" to play that set in limited.

the irony is, an allied pair almost always eclipses, or enemy in allied sets.

>3415▶
>

U/W Control is back in this new format, we have a Sorta-Mana Leak.

>in Sealed you pick whatever the pool has as the best card
You should follow this rule of thumb especially in Kaladesh, since you have a lot of artifacts to shore up shallow but powerful colors.

sort of, many of the colorless artifacts are traps.

such as all the "Knot" cards, with the one exception being the blue one as it scry's and gets you energy, but still heavily narrow card.

also don't lean vehicles too much, alot of instant speed removal will get rid of most of them and you'll have been time walked most of the time for your trouble.

>giving Wizards money for buttfucking standard and making it rotate twice as fast and release twice as many sets a year

I think the setting looks cool but there's no way they're getting my money.

I play limited then sell off the standard chaff.

Remember if you open an expedition to give it to your lgs out of common curtesy.

So stick to maybe 3 vehicles at best?

>selling a $7 card for $50
"Yes".

How common are inventions?

Hilarious

1:144 same as a foil mythic

The owner of a game store told me the chance of opening one is slightly less than opening an expedition. So more rare.

Go for crewing when they're tapped out for mana. Never play anything more than 3 crew and 3 crew is issue. Most vehicles aren't very good.

Your colors to watch out for are White and Green. Black is 3rd. If you get that "All your opponent's creatures get -1/-1" instant, you're at least splashing black. People are going for servo spam, so it'll act like a wipe. Along that path, Trample and Evasion are very good.

Combat tricks to watch out for are deathtouch and first strike.

Avoid the "I opened this mythic, I need to run it" mentality, because you'll be biased to that color.

There are also more inventions than there were expeditions.
Less good inventions than expeditions, too.

>People are going for servo spam, so it'll act like a wipe.
Also the the metric fuckton of 2/3s clogging both boards.

I thought there were more 3/2's this time around?

>Need to open 5 BOXES to have a reasonable chance at one
>Half the inventions are bottom barrel nothings

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As in pick when possible WG or be prepared for WG?

Just got home from prerelease and have to say that blue isnt nearly as bad as i thought it was , glimmer of genius is very nice, the mind control sorcery is a massive bomb, theres a big serpent at common too that coats less for artifacts. The vehicles are insane as well, anything with crew 3 or less is great, always fabricate for servos if you have no keywords, servos everywhere so artifact creature lord is sweet (uncommon), die young is insane, 2+ prophetic prisms can easily fix a third colour and blue puzzle knot isnt a trap but the 8/6 vehicle is, crew 4 is a bit too much and kill any syndicate trakers asap

You don't have the luxury of the former in Sealed.
But by all means, do both in Draft.

How is RW Crew holding up? Its about the only thing that I even remotely want to build.

no one at the pre-release i was at today (ausfag here) opened one, and the store was busy.

>Trading a $50 Hangarback walker for 25 regular ones

Dang. I guess he was right then. He also mentioned that WotC is going to do that for all the sets coming out now. Printing super rare money cards.

Do you actually want one in particular?
I'd move any I open, exept maybe Sol Ring because I have every other Sol Ring print.
But if I open any other wether it's a gearhulk or a mox, it's going straight into ebay. It's free money, I don't care how much free money it is, i'ts free.

I'm only interested in the reprints so I can play them. I dont sell my cards ever. The secondary market kills the game in my opinion. Its flat trade or nothing. I want these reprints so I can put them in decks and use them. I dont give two flying fucks that they have special art. The only things that matter is what they do.

>an unproductive turn is a timewalk for your opponent

Can we stop with this god damn meme?

I played WU with Cataclysmic Gearhulk and only two removal. I went 3-2 and opened nothing of actual value but it was terribly fun. It's a great set and I can't wait for Draft.
Pic related was my MVP. It doubles ETB triggers, it gets around removal and it removes ugly enchantments.
Also, the bird that gives another creature flying, the enchantment for W and the chamber with Nissa and Chandra in it - all great and underrated cards.

the rarest thing is saw was my own promo art
Saheeli Rai. I didn't stick around though cos the store i went to is full of faggots.

Is this the dick waving thread?
Someone else got a Mana Crypt.

We opened none in 138+ packs today.
In BFZ there seemed to be more Expeditions in prerelease packs but now they seem to have stopped doing that.

>Its flat trade or nothing.
I used to be that way but nowadays trades are hell.
Pulled a foil FoW and was looking to trade for the duals I was missing because I already had a regular, but nobody was willing to trade my straight mint foil FoW for their age-beaten duals unless I conceded $30+ off it's value so I sold it for $600 on ebay and got myself the duals I was missing and a couple other non-MtG things.

Everyone's a "dealer" nowadays and it's fucking bullshit.

>tfw I was lucky enough to steal someone elses mana crypt during an eternal masters draft

>Avoid the "I opened this mythic, I need to run it" mentality, because you'll be biased to that color.
That's exactly what you need to do in sealed though. You want to run as many bombs as possible. So playing some on average weaker cards can be fine if it means you get to play more dragons.

This isn't draft. Flying 6/6s win sealed. Not synergy.

This is why I say the secondary market is bad. People only see the money behind the cards. Every fucking prerelease there are 5-6 guys hussling everyone they can trying to unload while prices are high. I told one guy to fuck off when I saw him trying to swindle a 8 year old kid. That guy fucking HATED me for the rest of the year. Even tried to get me banned from the store over it.

Dick waving thread. No masterpiece, no dick waving.

I hate you.

If your turn sucked they get a free turn, how hard is that for you to comprehend

But how many of those did you buy?

Prerelease packs only nigga.

I understand that the people who pulled them used prerelease packs.
But which of those did *you* pull, and which did you buy?

Did anyone else have a bunch of shittily printed/cut cards?

I had about 5 cards in my prerelease box were faded out like week old newspapers left in the sun. They look like fake cards that someone printed at home.

Consider the fact that he opened them all.

I got a Chandra and my promo card was Smuggler's Copter

Someone told me that Chandra was $60, but it's currently at $45 on TCGplayer. Doesn't particularly matter since I'll never sell it.

I pulled them all from my one prerelease sealed pool.

Went to bed early and woke up early had a good breakfast and got myself ready just arrived at mine. Excited to have a free Saturday to actually do something for myself.

Thing is somehow fucking booked out. Phoned up the other FLGS an hour away. Also booked out.

When did magic become so popular and why did I decide to move to such a small city ? :( Guess I'm playing this at midnight on mtgo whenever it's released...

Any idea what the fuck I do with my day now? I might just go home and play more eldritch moon sealed on mtgo... Urgh :/

It's a quarter past 5 am.
We just called turns on round 4.
There's a round 5.
We break to top 8 after that.
Every single round has gone to turns because people can't play at a reasonable pace.
Midnight prereleases are a mistake.
I want to die.

2-0 atm with BR and white splash for the 4cmc 3/3 that returns an artifact from the yard, pretty disgusting pool with Noxious Gearhulk and Marionette dude, all the good removal in both colors, Pia, 8/6 menace car etc. Only lost 1 game due to mulling to 5.

I always go to the Saturday ones at 7pm. No way will I suffer through the midnight prerelease anymore. It seems like I have more fun with the evening ones compared to the midnight ones, and part of that is due to the people who show up. For some reason, the sleeze bags come out late at night. The stinky ones.

We're the energy counters fun to play with/did they work well mechanically?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but white and black seem to have the most useful number of cards, right before red. Am I correct in assuming this, judging from seeing all of the cards?

They're fun to play.
Consider it as r&d way to give creatures some higher powered ability but limits their usage with Energies so you can't play them infinitely without some effort from your part.

Maybe every other set, but I can see them doing that. They're getting greedier and want that easy money, while also looking like they're helping put older cards back into print

Black is pretty good but it needs blue or white to provider tempo or protection while you search for your payoff cards. I went 3-0-1 with pic related last night using blue to slow down the opponents and to filter through my deck and draw my bombs. The gearhulks are crazy strong, the black one won me all the games where I played it, fucking domo arigato mister roboto.
Energy is a cool gimmick in limited, if you have some decent energy cards go for it.

Went 3-1 with junk. Only got caught up on mana once and it cost me the game and match xd

What's the proper deck ratio for lands, creatures, and spells? I have been to a prerelease in years.

17 land, 15~ creatures, 8~ non creatures.

>just got back from working night shift
>have to do another one tonight
>didn't realize prerelease was today

I'm weighing my options, do I, 1. stay up and go to the prerelease at noon and sleep after im done, 2. buy the pack and scoop (doesn't seem worth it since I actually want to play) or 3. skip the prerelease all together and wait for aether revolt in the spring.

Man im pissed, I didn't plan for this at all.

How avout vehicles? Or are they a trap unless you get some good ones like the 2/3 flier or haste ones?

It depends on what tipe of deck you are playing, generally the trains are good though.

All the rare vehicles are obviously good, the other ones I would rank like so:

>Ballista Charger
>Bomat Bazaar Barge
>Sky Skiff
>Renegade Freighter
>Dragster
>Express
>Stomper

I may be undervaluing dragster but it just doesn't seem that great to me. Trading 4 mana for a servo and 5 damage doesn't seem ideal

prove that your flesh is not frail

go to the noon prerelease and play

back when i did snow removal as my job, i would sometimes sleep 2 hours a day for a couple of days in a row and i was mostly fine.

sleep deprivation is an accumulating condition. if you sleep 9 hours, then 2 hours, then 9 hours again, you'll be fine. it's when you skip sleep for a multiple days a row that it starts to fuck with you

just drink lots of coffee and have a healthy "whatever i dont give a shit" attitude and you'll be fine

The one that etbs as a creature can go in a creature slot but otherwise count them as a non-creature slot. Unless you have drivers, I think anything more than 3 to animate is a trap. 3's can be pretty iffy, even if you don't have a lot of 3 power dudes.

Anons, I really need you to sell me on this set. Standard lost its appeal ages ago, the only LGS in town is populated by tryhard Modern players who need to be reminded how to pilot their $1000+ decks, and nobody here plays Legacy or EDH anymore.

Sealed is all I have left. If the sealed environment is crap I just stop playing Magic for a few months.

Unless you're LSV then 3 creatures 16 land 21 spells.

That deck was nuts

Thats a draft deck tho mang. Sealed is a completely different beast. Of course if you can pull off a spells deck in sealed then power too yah.

>giving away a valuable card that you bought fair and square

8/10 Honestly mad.

Just got back from my pre-re. 84 players so 7 rounds, went 5-2 with BW go wide splashing blue for paradoxical outcome and the uw walker.
Also got a mana crypt in my prize packs, will take a pic when I wake up from sleeping after ~25 hours awake.

As in draft it or actually steal it? Because if it's the latter then you're a piece of shit.

Went 4-0

Stomped literally everyone I played against 2-0 in about 10 minutes

Did my Pre Release here, tokyomtg.com/events.html. I went 3-1 with a G/R energy deck with a Vehicle sub theme, won 2 Japanese packs.

Things I learned, vehicle are push stat wise but running more than 3 is not a good idea. Also if you make your deck right energy is not hard to come by and can make a big impact on the game.

Stand out non rare cards:

Renegade Freighter: turn 2 speedway fanatic, turn 3 smash with the freighter feels good. However even coming in on turn 4 with a 5/4 trample is still a good play.

Peema Outrider: No matter which mode you use this guy will put a stop to most of your opponent's ground game. Chaining one after the other turns 4 and 5 is even better

Spireside Infiltrator: Sealed has a lot of ground stalls I have seen. With this guy even if you can't make a good attack crewing with him at the end of your opponent's turn will start to add up.

Also while not great, Decoction Module came in handy when I faced a u/w deck with a lot of tap down enchantments.

All in all it was a good time, Japanese players are pretty chill the store is run by a German/Japanese guy. As for the set it is pretty fun I will have to draft it once it comes out.

As for the rares:

Skysovereign: If they can't get kill it the turn it or the creature that will crew it you win

Culticator of Blades: Pick your spot right and you can win once you swing with him. Be sure to have a way to protect him or at least give him haste

Bristling Hydra: Good all by himself, but if you can put more energy into him he gets hard to stop.

Inventors' Fair: Play it early and make some servos and you will be gaining life in no time. Being able to grab your bomb artifact is also nice.

Pulled one of pic related today. Is it one of the better ones?

Green is fucking awesome

count vehicles as non creatures for deck building

pick the ten or so best cards from the best two colors you pool, the rest is taken care of with good artifacts and curve filler.

Only get energy cards that are good by themselves at first . Then, when curve filling,if you have a shitton of energy outlets you can add stuff that just pumps your E count.

Remember servos are artifacts,so when counting how many you have for various effects, count fabricate cards as well .

Blue has shit commons but enough rares that you may go two color with just five U.

The color fixing is strong in here and the colorless cards make it easier to splash. Count every off color symbol in your cards as a "pip" you should have about one more sources than you have pips.

So if you get an Aether Hub and a Prophetic Prism, you could splash in a bomb gold thats only one of your colors, or maybe some premium removal .

Evasion is stronger here than in other formats. also

CURVE IS GOD.

KLD is all about creature efficiency, you do not want to be a turn behind on the board, especially with vehicles acting as reach.

But they make the exact same number of sets a year

If they start giving away legacy decks for free sure

Who the fuck plays standard?

5-0'd prerelease with UBw. MVPs definitely were the Aether Theorists that could both block early and dig out the necessary cards. Also got to blow up Metalwork Colossus with Noxious Gearhulk.

Vehicles make for some absolutely mean beats in the format. Renegade Freighter for an example is an insanely punishing common if you play it on curve, attacking 5/4 trample on turn 4 out of your normal turn 4 drop is rough times. Play your vehicles (not too much though), enough creatures to reliably enable them, and have answers. That is, artifact hate is definitely sealed maindeckable.

Rush of Vitality was a pretty sweet little trick that both saved creatures from removal and turned damage races on their heads while trading for relevant creatures. Definitely a card to keep in mind.

Nice to see a nongreen deck doing good. I like the use of dice on your basic lands instead of showing a pile of them, I'm gonna steal that

Went 3-1 with a janky RB deck with artifacts. MVP of the deck was Skysovereign. I don't think I would have won without it. I had a Diabolic Tutor, but only got to cast it once.

I don't think I'm doing a midnight prerelease again, I'm at work now and all I want to do is sleep.

I found blue to be pretty weak overall. It just doesn't have the commons to be a main color. Green is the best color in my book. Overall the format looks fine, sealed is a bit of a grind but there are a ton of ways to go over the top at all levels.

Rush of vitally is an insane combat trick

Yeah I didn't play against a deck with blue over the five rounds, other than splashing for things like Rashmi. Overall the blue commons fall behind others so the colour is weaker.

I hope you like thopters because that's what this set is. I can't bring myself to draft this set because I know it's going to be people chipping me down with 1/1 fliers the whole time. I guess I'm not playing until next year because I can't stand that shit.

4-0'd my local prerelease but it was pretty small at like 10-12 people

pic related was pretty much my deck

More servos than thopter from what I saw. However there are a lot of ways to deal with them between pingers and 1/x blockers. Overall the format looks pretty fun to me. Both beat down and control have a lot of cool tools, and aside from blue the rest of the colors aren't too bad.

Granted Green is the best color by a fair bit, and vehicles are pushed as fuck.

>puzzleknots

Did you really not have anything better?

>padeem
I haven't been watching this set because it looks stupid, but this guy would be fantastic in my Reaper King EDH.

The blue and green ones aren't bad if you are in need of energy. The black on is ok if you have a deck made to grind out games. White and Red are trash and should never be played.

what's wrong with puzzleknots? they did fucking work in the deck.

comboed out puzzleknot into aviary mechanic to play puzzleknot again in almost every game i played. felt like value every time i got one out especially with the other graveyard artifact recursion