Old Veeky Forums vs. New Veeky Forums

So, here's every argument about the Veeky Forums community summed up:

>Old Veeky Forums was better. We were more creative then.
>No it wasn't, it had Smut/Shitposts/Autism/Quests/skub.
>Nu/tg/ still has Shitposts, Skub, and Autism, and to be fair, some of the smut was pretty good. Remember Heretical Love Quest?
>We're still better off than we were then.
>No, we're not.

That's pretty much it. The benefits of old Veeky Forums were that it's lack of rigidity and narrow topics led to some amazing discussions and Content, however we also had to deal with the Smut, Shitposts, and other problems with a totally raw discussion forum.

The benefits of nu/tg/ is that it's mostly work-safe, threads generally stay on topic, and content is limited to the core concepts of what Veeky Forums is supposedly about. This is, however, at the cost of limited content generation/creativity, and the rigid behavior that comes from every board being self-contained.

Basically, there's no reconciling these to states of Veeky Forums you either take the good with the bad when it comes to an unlimited forum, or you deal with the totalitarian behavior the mods exhibit trying to keep Veeky Forums railroaded.

So, which is the better option?

Finally got rid of those quest cunts

Old Veeky Forums. Pretty much every gem we have that made Veeky Forums great came from that era. I'd rather deal with Shitposts and Smut posts and have nice things than deal with the monotony we've seen the last few years.

I agree with you. Quests need to have their own board, but they also need a mod that cares enough about them to let them suceed. If the mod running /qst/ actually gave a damn, and worked with the community to draw attention(such as moving Risk and other games threads there, or increasing the post limit) then we wouldn't have any of the issues we see on here every time that issue comes up.

>caring about quests

I didn't care, filters exist for a reason.
I kinda miss the old community, it felt like a family. I could recognise people based on the way that they typed things, whether or not they used punctuation well or used fancy words. I kinda miss that. The site has grown a lot as a whole and every board is feeling the repercussions. The autistic thing is arguing about old vs new. The new people aren't going anywhere, and us oldies mostly either moved on or have stayed and adapted.

On the topic of quest threads, I always filtered them out but they did add a huge amount of life to the board. People from quests now barely participate in other content, so the overall life of Veeky Forums is diminishing.

I kind of really liked the era up to and shortly after rubyquest. I feel the influx of copycat quests diluted the community here. Lots of bitter assholes trying to police other people's posting habits. I drifted away from Veeky Forums for other reasons too after that. It's important to remember that we change too, and things and places can become less brilliant not because they get worse but because we don't like them as much.

You'd have to wonder though... if Veeky Forums management suddenly returned to the way it was circa 2007-08, would we return to our former glory?

I wasn't part of old Veeky Forums and new Veeky Forums seems fine so

also it does seem like people only care about old Veeky Forums because it was functionally a subreddit

people only cared that they could recognize others and get good content sometimes

>stayed and adapted.

I've hung around, but I no longer draw or write OC or even participate in discussions outside of the chance "how's this boardgame?" I mostly just lurk WIP and save character art and pdfs now.

Would love to return to the drawthread, but the shitfest it stirred up last time just broke my spirit.

All we need is more creativity.

I'd actually argue that current Veeky Forums is more like reddit now. Everything is too linear and confined, and we have this concept of Containment boards/threads. Old Veeky Forums was great because someone would post an orc holding a little girls hand, talking about being LG, and half-way down you'd see someone post the tearjerker story of Thrag the Barbarian, and his adopted daughter elle.

Maybe, it's an interesting thought.
I don't really think that the problem is moderation so much as the userbase and the board culture completely shifting. Ideas used to be fresh and original, now the catalogue is filled with filename, webm, art, and question threads that have been posted hundreds of times.
I doubt it could ever really go back to the "glory days", let's be honest here, they weren't all that glorious.

stop abusing content creators and maybe they'll stick around

That's kind of hard in that we've kind of propagated our own limitations in thinking. All these unspoken rules and stigmas about random threads, and generals.

>how dare people have different interests, the audacity

Posted in the dying thread.
Have a screencap.
Both old and new Veeky Forums likes a screencap, right?

The mod didn't help matters. Half the reason we're in our current state is that he bowed down to others with the idea of /qst/

I really hope that Lowtax did buy Veeky Forums. We need new management.

Wait...
What's so bad about skub? It cured my grandmothers glaucoma and cured my hereditary baldness.

>let's be honest here, they weren't all that glorious.
speak for yourself

I'll cherish the long intelligible discussions of the wayback.

Last significant brainstorm I participated in was over a year ago.

I'd agree that Veeky Forums has become very reddit like. People tread threads the same way on both sites, when they are fundamentally different.
Veeky Forums should be more open to discussion, but it's degenerated into the same threads everyday, just like reddit has been for years.
Not saying it wasn't always like that, but in the past there was a lot more creativity and unique discussion, whereas today everything feels very samey. Not many unique opinions or ideas, because just like on reddit, Veeky Forums users have developed a mob mentality that actively fights against people who don't fit in or complain about the shitty threads the newfags post daily.

A good example of this is quest threads. There was never much hate for them in the past, barely anyone complained. You either clicked on the link or you didn't. Now people get triggered just by seeing the word quest, and they feel the need to go out of their way to complain. I guess the site as a whole has just become more immature.

Yeah but now she gots parkinsons and I hate to tell you its been reported skub gives pube hair

Last significant brainstorm I even saw on Veeky Forums was a homebrew chapter called the Huge Marines. They had one strategy: HUGE. It was awesome... then it died after three threads.

the monotony has gotten to me too, that's why I just skim entire pages until I see an image I like.

very rarely there will be an interesting suggestion made, but they're crucially underrated or get shutdown with toxic behavior

I mean, if I was mod, I'd allow quests, but they'd have to be in an original setting, or in a Veeky Forums-related setting. No German Hollow Quest or Boruto Shit.

that's a fine line you're walking when you put a conditional filter on criminally unoriginal folk.

I'd argue that there is no definite Veeky Forums related setting. Quests are a form of role-playing, just like any other RPG, there is no reason for them to not be allowed.
The problem is when people complain about them, saying that they don't want them, instead of filtering them out.

that was like what, over a year ago?

I think there's a pattern emerging...

Well, just know that I, who started a few days ago and has no clue about about old Veeky Forums, am super happy I found this place, and am always excited to visit and see what people are talking about here, despite not all of the topics being interesting to me.

So, I mean, I like nu/tg/. Something's going right.

Alright, what about Anime Setting Quests? That was, I'm sure, what drew 90% of the rage towards quests.

I'd say take the time to learn the board culture since you're new, but it's pretty much non-existent anymore.
Have fun newfriend

Whatever, I'm fine with it.
How is it different to a tabletop system that draws inspiration from anime?
Let it roll, I don't care. I've had quests filtered for years so it doesn't affect me.