/EDH/ - Commander/EDH General

Dragon dildos edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-of-meletis-voltron-4/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post em

Getting pretty tired of seeing Zirilan. Hes cool, download another card.

>playing with friend earlier tonight
>we're both using new decks, his is Sidisi and mine is Sisay
>game 1
>get lucky with two mana, sol ring, and talisman of unity in my first hand
>get Sisay out by turn 2, zendikar resurgent out by turn 4, mindslaver infinite for gg on turn five
>game 2
>get lucky enough to draw just enough ramp to barely survive getting mana fucked
>a few lucky draws that allow me to skip certain tutors and expedite my plan
>because of this I'm more or less able to answer everything he does
>end up swing for game with 88 dmg flying, lifelink, first strike, hexproof, indestructible
>he gets super salty
>complains that the deck completely removes all chance from the game by tutoring
>yeah man, that's kind of the point
>well it's not fun
>this coming from the dude who runs Sidisi and Grimgrin, with tons of removal and forced sacrifice
too bad.

>only 4 deck slots per player
I can't put my playgroup on this.

Nah faggot, how about you make the thread if you don't want to see my bro Z man

Top commanders senpai. Not all

So it's worse than the original "put all the cards in paint" ones?

Angel of Jubilation doesn't stop edicts, it only stops sacrifices as costs (like diabolic intent or prossh)

Post your tech.

I'm surprised I've almost never seen anyone playing this in Gitrog. It actually works surprisingly well with very little effort, and the downside to running it is very low.

Of course, it'd be better if they were flying, but you can't have everything.

Just copy in multiple rows for the same player if you need to.

This in my Hanna deck, with Auratog and Chronatog as well. Gibbering Descent in my Mogis. Unspeakable Symbol in my Skittles.

Don't think tutors are secret, but I never see anyone play this one. I use it to reliably set up the karmic guide/reveillark combo when I need it.

In an aggressive token deck, this card helps win games. It's also really fucking funny with Doubling Season.

How much would you pay for this?

Same as the normal one

How many tutors do you guys put into a mono-black deck?

I'm at 3 now (Diabolic Tutor, Beseech the Queen, Sidisi) in a deck that cycles through pretty fast with 12 card draw spells and 3.3 average cmc

Haven't put any of the others because they seem a bit too much low-value, mana-intense or cost too much money. but i'm wondering if i should anyway.

can confirm, I run this in Ulasht and it makes alpha strikes obscenely dangerous

Getting a Vampiric and Demonic asap means you won't ever have to buy them again. They really are that good, and really are that irreplaceable. Cruel Tutor is good, if you're going to play Diabolic, may as well play Cruel too (artwork is sweet too). Being monoB, if you are (and should) be using Buried Alive + Ooze combo then Insideous Dreams is pretty good. Diabolic Intent works well with things like Reassembling Skeleton, Bloodghast, Entomb etc. This comes back to Skullclamp, Contamination, Infernal Darkness, Tutors, and how to power out MonoB in the first place (imo).

Forgot to mention, Transmute tutors. Shred Memory both helps as grave hate, as well as tutor chaining via Demonic Tutor/Diabolic Intent, getting Exsanguinate/Nim Deathmantle/haterock/Animate Dead/Skeleton etc etc. Same goes for Dimir Houseguard, but for 4cc: Damnation, Leyline/Helm combo, Crypt Ghast, tutor chain via Diabolic. The sac may also be relevant to you, if you like to reanimate other peoples creatures

So, /EDH/...

What's the funniest, silliest or overall weirdest kill you've ever made?

For me, it was when the mono green player ramped into avenger of zendikar, and I think it was both Ulamogs. So he had like, 22 creatures in total, and he had 24 life left. He already beat me to half an inch away from death, and then I draw what I need.
I cast rakdos charm, make everyone take damage equal to the amount of creatures. Then I make him draw 2 cards with pic related.

I love how that card allows you to target people other than yourself as well.

Reposting from last thread. Anyone got suggestions for my first voltron deck? I'm building it as part of a group of decks I can lend to other people, so I'm trying to keep it kinda budget.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/daxos-of-meletis-voltron-4/

Playing mono green. Already moved to 2nd main, no Concordant Crossroads, lone Azusa hits with Feast and Famine. Cannot continue to play permanents and draw cards. Play The Great Aurora for 45ish.

a) Sydri went from near combo + Memnarch to a mere three lands on table and massive hand size.
B) Azami happy with new massive hand and 7 or so lands
C) Prosh with lands and hand (and later found out, holding infinite)

Start with Vernal Bloom, countered. Dosan, countered. Summoning Pact, resolves, Eternal Witness, Dosan, countered. Something else, countered. Eventually runs out of juice, City of Solitude resolves.

Manage to do shenanigans with Holistic Wisdom and Beast Within to destroy Prosh landbase, get to a point where Staff of Domination + Magus of the Candelabra + Crossroads can loop Ulamog via Survival, Greater Good to draw via Ulamog, Greater Good saccing squirrel tokens to help fill grave, in turn helping fill library to not draw out....

Won by commander dmg with Newzuri. Did not involve putting +1/+1 counters on him either.

3 mana

So how do people feel about Kiki-Jiki as a commander? Is he seen as a Prossh tier commander?

>Playing infinites

Your friend is right, you're a cunt.
Go play legacy if you want to only win and don't care about the social aspect.

Cauldron Dance.
Every time I play it against a new opponent and either kill someone or get some insane value they got"wait what" read it.... Read it again. Then say "holy shit".

He was probably thinking Sigarda.

There's nothing wrong with having an infinite combo as long as you're not rushing toward it. Sometimes you just need to close out a game that is going on too long.

No, because Mono R is shit at tutoring combos.

Turn 5 is to long?
Don't play Edh.

I didn't say turn 5, in fact, I just said not to rush into it.

I'm just saying that having the chance to go infinite isn't bad, but making it your goal is a no-no.

Wasn't EDH but a week or two ago I boosted Mogis out on the second turn with a Dark Ritual and proceeded to draw nothing but lands and kill spells for the next 10 turns whereupon I won by Mogis damage.

We both agreed it was the most embarrassing game of Magic either of us could remember playing.

The look on new players faces when I cast this for the first time is always priceless. "Wait, you're doing WHAT to yourself?"

What the hell deck are you playing

Melek, I cast it either right before I go off or after I Fabricate for Belcher.
I think he'll eat removal every time you cast him, people know he's a combo and value engine like no other.

Read who I was replying to and get back to me.

Oh, I've also cast it finding no lands as a shuffle effect and +1 Storm count.

Salt story from last night

>Playing Edh with typical group
>New player comes in asks to play
>Sure.
>hes an old school player
>mid game everyone at about half life
>He play mass hand discard after setting up winter orb lock.

"Fun"

>Everyone is miserable now, even the dude because he had nothing to follow up with.
>Player 1 quits
>Player 2 quits
>I draw and pass
>Player 3 quits
>Winter orb player does fuck all
>back and forth for 10 turns.
>other players about to start new game
>dude asks if I give up
"Fuck no"
>Shuffle second deck and play new game on the second table
>Get far enough into it where the other dude can't join
>Quit old game and continue actual game
>He gets salty because now he's sitting out.

Fucking cunt players. Loved making him taste his own shit.

>ultra mythic is now in every set

Nice.

You're right, you guys were salty.

I'm still not talking about turn 5. I don't approve of the way he did it, but in general, having an infinite isn't inherently bad.

>When (you) don't realize that (you)'re that guy.

>le edgy spike player meme
Why are you in an Edh thread?

I base it off experience. In my experience when someone combos off its always been relatively unearned and anticlimactic.

A general rule of thumb is no MLD and no infinites. These leads to funner, longer, more swingy games. And more options in deck building because I don't have to build around MLD and shit and waste up slots.

Fun is subjective though. As a casual competitive I understand people want to go infinite. Or waste all your lands. But I don't think Edh is the format to showcase it in.

Inb4 spirit of Edh posts. Stfu morons, you've never even cast an Armageddon before. Stop acting like you support it.

Serious question. What would you do in that situation. Not past tense. So don't say "counter it"

Youd sit there for an hour and deck out?

I guess your playgroup has sissy rules, but my playgroup is entirely spikes. We have a good time with MLD and a few infinites and storms, and we have casual deck so the people like you don't whine. And it isn't edgy to say that a bunch of guys who forced someone out of a game were salty, just true.

Uhh about 5usd at most to be honest.

Scoop and start a new game, or play it out. These are the only options to people who aren't assholes.

Don't see how it's your fault that he had no removal in game 1

with Rakdos, Lord of Riots, does his cost reduction ability apply to the wastes mana of nuKozilek?

>Zendikar Resurgent
It's funny, I have that card, and I would totally use it, but the art makes me want to kill myself.

No

Nope.

No.

I would probably play it out, if they didn't have a wincon.

He wasn't forced out if the game. He decided to keep playing the current game and we moved on.

My decks are well made and can handle themselves against spikes. But I enjoy the social aspect of Edh. Not tutor tutor win. Counter. Counter win.
While those can be fun, its not when its every game.

I did scoop and start a new game. He had the option of quitting to. Not my fault he decided to lock the game without a board state. He was an amateur. Wouldn't even care if he killed me a turn or 2 after the lock. But he didn't.

>tfw Insurrection in a 6-player game with Mirror Entity and Druids' Repository on board
Sure I got hated out of the next game early, but it was so worth it

Yes.

Wrong

Why? You play it out and deck (and miss the next game)

If he had a reasonable threat to follow up with I would have scooped. But he didn't. Its like casting armegeddon and then leaving the game.

Go read the damn rules, retard.

Nope. Rakdos reduces generic mana, not colorless.

No, you tricked him with what I'm sure you thought was a very smart plan and then proudly talked about how you didn't have to play with the guy, all because you're bad at magic.

That's the thing, the next game shouldn't have started, and if you were already in a game, you shouldn't have joined a new one. If you started playing a new game while in the middle of another game, I'd probably be disgusted enough by your shitty manners to leave, but that's what you wanted him to do anyway.

Honestly, because I'm a stubborn autist and I really enjoy grindy games. Though as a Stax player I do agree that playing a lockout piece without a wincon is rather dumb, unless it's to lock down another player's imminent win.

Hope the gatewatch all dies in a fire

Card really is powerful though

I didn't even realize how funny it was until after actually. It was never my intention The second game was getting pretty heated and I didn't have time to keep drawing in the other game. So I just told him gg and moved my chair.

It was golden, delicious salt.

(You) really can't see how impolite it was to start up a new game in the middle of your other one? Wow.

what are some good ways to give my creatures flash in Rakdos colors?

Vedalken Orrery.

3 other players were sitting there twiddling their thumbs. And I was in a hour long haul. Fucking rights another game should have been started.

The dude misplayed and never followed up his lock. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of quitting. So I played the second game. After about 5 minutes I told him ok sure you win. Anyways back to the fun game.

Hope the dude sees the folly of his ways. And trys to be a bit more inclusive next time. Or at least follow up his lock with a win.

To clarify idgaf that he played the lock. I care that he had no intention of winning. Just sit there and... What waste my time? Fuck that.

Vedalken orrery
Winding canyon
Sneak attack
Through the breach
Quicksilver amulet
Deathrender + sac outlet

Yeah. Your salt.

You should never have joined the second game. You are celebrating the fact that your atrocious social skills and lack of basic courtesy offended someone. Congratulations.

thanks bro

Then the other three start a new game and you either scoop and join them or stay in the one game. Did you not read my post at all?

Guys remember if somebody tells a story in /edhg/, that story is false and didn't happen, so there's no reason to get upset about anybody's behavior in said story

For sure I can. He didn't see how retarded it was to sit there with a lock and just assume if quit as his wincon. Instead of an actual wincon.

He got what he deserved. And that second game was a really good one. The ones with cheers and "ohhhs"
Players like him and most of you never get to experience that because the type of players you are.

Are (You) not reading your replies?

T. spikes

Did you guys blow up lands and not get invited into the second game? Is it worth it?

t. samefag
Nice try, here's your reply.

i burned pinged someone down from 47 to zero with pick related. Not how i expected to end that game.

No, I never have to deal with childish shit like that because my group can deal with things like adults. If they don't like my deck, they scoop and ask me if I can play a different one.

Story time
>worked at LGS for school credit
>stole packs daily
>last day of school
>assume its coming to an end
>owner leaves the store
>says I'm in charge
>first time ever. Oh shit
>bag a full box of 7th edition and onslaught plus sleeve and binder pages
>comes back with Chinese food and cake
>tells me I'm a huge help and wants to hire me under the table full time
>fuck yea summer job at lgs
>steal shit all summer
>money in pocket every week
>they close down by winter.

Am I a terrible person?

My favorite was the time one of my opponents played consecrated Sphinx, then another cloned it, so they each drew about 50 cards, then on my turn I cast windfall and milled both those greedy sons of bitches out

They didn't keep inventory at all?

>implying all of your decks wouldn't be the same ux garbage.

Well stealing is wrong yeah, but that doesn't necessarily mean you caused the store to close

You already know the answer to that, if this is even a true story.

Nope if they didn't keep track of their shit or have cameras your not at fault.

It was weird. They knew somebody was stealing shit. But they thought it was dbz cards. Not magic. And I never played dbz so I wasn't suspect.
No idea how they did inventory. I was just stock and till.

I doubt 5 boxes worth of cards would hurt them that badly. But they were smaller than most LGS.

100% true. They had fake cameras.
A lot of LGS do actually. It deters 90% of theft and saves them thousands.

Is it considered BM to initiate an infinite for the win if said infinite only works when you are one of the last two players at the table and requires a lot of mana? At that point it's already late game and as far as I'm concerned it's just as legitimate as any other win condition when you're trying to take out your last opponent. Feels like something like that shouldn't really be considered "frowned upon in EDH."

>steal a bunch of shit from a small local business
>"Am I a bad person?"

I want you to think about this one

In my opinion the only thing that should be frowned upon is playing decks that are way better than your opponents decks

As long as there isn't a huge power gap between deck, anything goes

But that's 100% subjective.

The reason I ask is because my LGS has a casual EDH league where you get achievements and negative achievements for things that add up and at the end of the season determine the amount of tickets you get in a raffle. Infinites get you negative achievements and I'm not sure if the scenario I mentioned in my first post would count, but it's one of my new deck's better win conditions late game. However since it only really works vs one opponent, I'm not sure if they'd actually count it as a true infinite or not. It's not like I'm prematurely ending the game or anything.