fantasynamegenerators.com/
donjon.bin.sh/
eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources

/wbg/ discord: discord.gg/K3EzE

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion_light-gas_gun
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrothermal-chemical_technology)
novelstales.wikispaces.com/file/view/The Immortal - Borges.pdf
spaghettiart.tumblr.com/
sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Are there worlds separate from the mainland in your setting? Moons and planets, different dimensions, dream worlds?

>Do the inhabitants of these planes originate there, or did they come there from somewhere else?

>How does someone travel between worlds?

>How much contact and influence do outworlders have on the mainland?

What are some advancements in ballistic weapon can be conceivably made in the future? There's self-propelling bullets, like gyrojet (or bolters). There's obviously gauss/railguns.

Anything else interesting for the future personal weapon?

>Are there worlds separate from the mainland in your setting? Moons and planets, different dimensions, dream worlds?
Not anymore. The world-spanning Empire from long ago had small colonies on the nearest and largest moon, but it remained dependent on supply shipments. When the Empire collapsed, the few living in those colonies had no means of keeping themselves alive and starved.
With a very powerful engine. The technology to create runestones, the most powerful known energy source, has been lost.
They still have their role in fables, and occasionally there'll be a play or a novel about them, but nothing direct, 'cause they all died.

You could do Mass Effect-style firearms. High-tech railguns with built-in computers to account for wind, distance drop, etc. and adjust course accordingly.

>You could do Mass Effect-style firearms. High-tech railguns with built-in computers to account for wind, distance drop, etc. and adjust course accordingly.
Targeting computers is not really what I was asking.

Well what did you mean, then?

I meant specifically futuristic means of propelling the projectile.

that depends on how you want to propel the bullet.

Typical controlled explosion like with regular gunpowder? Something else?

I want something fancier than explosions inside the ammo propelling pieces of metal. Like what I originally mentioned.

The future of guns in non-projectile based. Laser/maser/phaser/sonar/etc.

I can't wait till masers are mainstream (you can totally build one yourself today with a broken microwave)

A while ago I made a thread about wanting to create a setting with both japanese and greek influence.

After getting sidetracked for a while, I recently started on the project again, beginning with the gods.

Lady Sun (amaterasu expy) and Lord Moon with an army of stars loyal to them.

Gods (basically protogenoi) for Sky, Earth and Ocean and one poor schmuck for the underworld.

Then five dodekatheon stand ins based on the 5 chinese elements, follewed by an army of japanese katana wielding angels, dubbed tenshi (I want them to actually serve the amaterasu expy as messengers)

Then a bunch of animated objects seen as small gods, a forge god based on those indian superweapons, a typhon expy in charge of natural disaters and gods for all the other races, from oni and kitsune to the minotaur.

The only other idea I had, before I start to work on the individual races, where hoplites wielding naginatas instead of spears.

An user suggested the sake and saganaki back then, so that´s what I call the project now.

Just wanted to write this down and hear a few opinions on this still scarce information before I continue. Thanks anyway.

Well, you could reasonable assume there's more advancements put to heat management. I'm not much of a gun guy but can't you still melt a barrel of an LMG by, ya know, just firing it for a couple hundred rounds?

I recall reading that on military-sf.com/ from the OP
There are a decent amount of hypothetics on that site

Both Greek and Japanese mythologies have some notion of patron deities for each city-state and each town, respectively. If those are your influences, it'd be odd not to have them in your pantheon.

You mean like the situation with ares and athena, right? Don´t know about the japanese, but I´ll look into that.

But do I have to model the city states after the gods or the gods after the city states?

Neither needs to be modeled after the other, necessarily. It's more just that most towns would have a god or goddess whom they believe specifically protects them above other cities.

In terms of Shinto, there are a couple different types of shrine; the one relevant to what I'm saying housed a local god (or aspect of the Buddha in the form of a local god). It's called an ubusuna or gongen.

The Discord link is invalid.

Anyone got some pdfs about medieval weapons/warfare?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion_light-gas_gun

The basis of my setting is that there are other worlds/dimensions/etc., and the earth is being invaded from them.
>Do the inhabitants of these planes originate there, or did they come there from somewhere else?
Unknown. The Infernal Legions obviously are not native, as they are made up of varying different creatures. The Celestial Host may be, but are not willing to give details to the humans about themselves.
Tearing holes in reality. Most are temporary, closing long enough after forming to allow just enough time to traverse it. Though there are larger ones that show no sign of closing, but they may be being held open artificial, since they are the main invasion points for the Infernal Legions.
The earth is being invaded, and the invaders are winning.

>>Are there worlds separate from the mainland in your setting? Moons and planets, different dimensions, dream worlds?
The universe is vast, most of the setting's locales are within a single galaxy, isolated to two galactic arms. A large majority of extra dimensionals live in their own plane.

>>Do the inhabitants of these planes originate there, or did they come there from somewhere else?
Came from a different continuum altogether, their number grows as they continue to spread their influence.

>>How does someone travel between worlds?
For the native inhabitants of the galaxy travel between planets is limited by technology. For the native inhabitants of the other plane, the plane's intrusive influence on the universe bridges connections allowing those inhabitants to move to and from. The process for establishing the bridges permanently damages the fabric of space around it, and is therefore used sparingly.

>>How much contact and influence do outworlders have on the mainland?
Contact varies, but most of the galaxy's native inhabitants are used as test subjects or in a similar fashion to zoo animals by the outworlders.

Sonic weapons are painfully under-appreciated.

The Historical Wargames thread maintains a substantial library of such things. Here's a direct link to their Medieval section:

mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval

Other planets and so forth do exist, but the technology to travel in space does not exist, so it's not something I've bothered to develop. Other dimensions definitely play a role, though. There are two main dimensions aside from the material world; the Etheric plane and the Chthonic plane. The first of the two is composed of pure formless energy, and has various uses in magic. The other is a lightless realm notable for entropy working in reverse; ordered systems form spontaneously despite the absence of life. It's an infinite expanse of machines and architecture that has arisen over billions of years in accordance with its own physical laws.

There is no life in either of the other dimensions, though the Etheric plane was home to a Demiurge-style deity countless ages ago who ultimately created the material world.

With extreme difficulty. There is only one person alive (well, sorta alive) today who is known to have visited another dimension and returned. He spent years researching occult geometry and metaphysics to calculate the exact time and location of a near-convergence of the planes, and spent a fortune to build a doorway that was open to the Cthonic plane for only a few seconds. The fact that he was eventually able to make it back was mostly a matter of luck.

That fellow mentioned above brought a bit of the substance of the beyond back with him when he returned. It appears as a fluid that can variously serve as an inexhaustible fuel source, a chemical weapon, or a means of reanimating corpses. It also converts any other fluid into itself when it reaches a concentration over 50%. Suffice to say, the world is getting strange lately.

Sure they're are other planets but I don't really flesh them out. No other planes that the world knows of. No dreamworlds.

The four moons however. Dresh the red moon, Akos the ringed moon, Vorgos the pale star, and finally Balt the blue gem

All the inhabitants of the world were created by the gods or came about naturally.

They don't Sure magic exists but nothing powerful enough to travel between worlds

None. Balt has life. Hell it's an ocean world but the people on the main planet know nothing of the people or races on balt.

Use the power of love.

What is the purpose of it, anyway?

Electrothermal-Chemical guns (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrothermal-chemical_technology)
Guided bullets
Stacked ammunition guns
2 stage chemrails/chemical boosted magnetic weaponry

You can combine a few of those as well, ie. gyrojet stacked ammunition.

I always liked the mass effect gun system.

Each gun has a micro computer that estimates the mass needed for a perfect shot, shaves it off of a ceramic block, and then launches it with
>mass effect fields

Was it ever explained how the special ammo system worked? It seems that the pellets the guns fire could just magically be infused with 'fire' or 'acid' without much justification.

I always thought it was silly that the main defence in Mass Effect could be completely bypassed by laser rifles yet no one uses them because they are apparently 'to advanced', despite having literal gravity controlling magic space rocks and the energy to power fleets of space ships.

MASS
EFFECT
FIELDS

So I know a lot of campaigns and settings out there have Lizard men/lizard folk in them, and mine is no exception, but I wanted mine to play to the strengths of the trope without being too boring or too strange.

In short; how do these guys sound for lizardmen?
>Herpetons; average height of 7.5 feet tall
>Poisonous bite that slows the body and mind of enemies
>Society is fiercely hierarchical and uses a caste system
>Lizard people are hatched from fertilized eggs, but have a very long 'shelf life' until enough warmth is gathered to incubate and hatch them
>When a lizard man hatches they imprint on the first living thing they see, who they respect and admire as much as you would a close and loving parent.
>Therefore, lizardmen are almost never born in front of their parents and are instead gifted to a military commander, a high-priest, a king, a taskmasker, etc.
>The lizard person adores this person like a parent and as they grow finds it easy to obey their commands, as such their society is very rigid and based heavily on honor
>Lizards even trade their eggs with humans so the human nobility can hatch their eggs in front of their children and get loyal and strong bodyguards for the young prince or princess
>Otherwise the Lizardmen value hard work and dedication along with order and strict social codes; etc.

Is this a cool gimmick?

>average height of 7.5 feet
I hope you mean "length". That height is almost detrimental.

>poisonous bite
>nobility get them to imprint on their children
>fertilized eggs of a sapient species are a trade good

>That height is almost detrimental.
For a cold blooded, warrior race I'd disagree. They aren't sneaky or anything though, that's very clear in their mechanics.

>poisonous bite
>nobility get them to imprint on their children
>fertilized eggs of a sapient species are a trade good

Why are these green texts?

Is this part of North America?

Greenland? Yea technically it is.

Finished this off just a moment ago; honestly, it took a LOT longer than I thought it would... But I drew everything from reference so I'm happy about that.

>What IS Equatorial Dinosaur Density?

Equatorial Dinosaur Density is a term originally coined by Monster Hunters to explain the distribution, density, and availability of Dinosaurs (as opposed to Mammalian Megafauna) in correlation with North and South of the Equator, Id Est: The farther you go north the less Dinosaurs you'll find & the farther you go south the more you'll find.

This term was officially adopted at a later time by naturalists and ecologists; who coincidentally had a different, less popular name that no one used and was quickly shelved.

Your planet is very weird. Are those brown strips mountains?

>Your planet is very weird. Are those brown strips mountains?

Oh, no- They're badlands, what basically happened is the interiors fresh water ocean basically dried out a few million years ago and left the rest of the world high and dry

So at this point in time both continents are connected and it's simply too large and the polar oceans are too far to carry water over that great of a distance; leaving a massive ocean of sand encircling the world that's unoriginally called "The Ring".

Anyone ever seen anything good on the psychology of immortals? Especially those who are isolated in small communities? Not elves, since the ones I have in mind were marooned by some temporal fuckery with a relatively 'modern' outlook.

It's hard to really find anything "good" in terms of immortal based psychology, as other user have said in the past when discussing this topic, immortals are often written from a mortal perspective, and the issues that they face are ones that are essentially "made up" by mortals. The challenges increase when it comes to trying to find immortals in literature, since immortality by itself poses challenges as far as writing goes. As far as writing goes, we're often looking for a "fitting end", and when immortals are involved this often thrusts the immortals in play into very particular situations - such as those where they would choose death when they have little reason to otherwise.

The attrition mentality, the memory dilemma, the necessity mindset, are all notions that we as mortals, when faced with the prospect of a life without a mortal coil, can come up with, but in application it's hard to conclusive say what would actually happen.

The premise that you've set up has specifications, but it's not close to specified enough. Isolation, small communities, modern outlooks, trapped in an environment - but we don't know about the basis for these immortals, we don't know about their objectives, their motivations, their norms. How did they achieve apotheosis? This in turn affects their mindset. What is it that actually threatens them? Have they achieved strictly time based immortality, or are mortal necessities no longer a consideration?

If these questions are what you're trying to find the answer to - unfortunately a large part of those answers need to be made up by yourself, and fit together with consistency. There's no inherent right or wrong to it. On the other hand, if you're trying to explore them as a culture further, you first need to know the answers to these questions, in order to make a better "fit".

>Anyone ever seen anything good on the psychology of immortals? Especially those who are isolated in small communities?
Yeah.
This.
novelstales.wikispaces.com/file/view/The Immortal - Borges.pdf
Probably the best "psychological" study of immortality I've ever read. It's, of course, purely speculative but it offers a look at immortality that I think is more mature and balanced and generally more clever than anything else I've read.

There are also two fairly interesting movies on the subject: One is a Japanese Anime called "Sky Crawlers" which mainly expands on Borges'es ideas about time-perception-distortion and gradual decay into not-giving-a-fuck-ness and loss of any sense of reliable identity, the other offers a very contradictory point of view and it's called "The Man from Earth". Both are fairly interesting to watch.

Personally, I've based my extremely-long-living race on Borges'es immortals quite heavily.

I really like your art. It's very clean and exact.

So I have been working on setting for a while now, and so I wanted to share what I have and ask for help with fleshing things out.

The real world earth exists in one of two mirror dimensions. There is the dimension we know, and an opposite shadow dimension. The shadow dimension is the place that all dead inhabit and magical energy flows freely. Magical energy does exist in this world, but in small amounts and usually trapped inside objects. Travel between the dimensions is normally one way and only done by dead spirits.

History in the primary dimension went as normal until 1531. Haley's Comet, an object of immense magical energy, was on a collision path with earth. However, instead of hitting the earth it exploded as its magical energy tore a hole between the worlds. This tear also released a flood of magical energy across the world acting like a giant bomb. The northern ice cap melted and western Siberia was scoured of life.

This great disaster caused a shift in human history and a dramatic change in the worlds climate. Sea levels around the world rose, flooding many major cities. Some dead men from the shadow world found ways to cross back into the primary dimension. Spirits that inhabited the primary world that had for so long scrounged together what little magic they could find suddenly had access to excessive amounts of energy. And the beasts that were the native inhabitants of the shadow dimension also found ways to cross over and prey upon the inhabitants of this world.

The point where I want to use this setting for a game is ten years after the split. Im running out of space in this post so my next one will be about what happened between the impact and then.

Bump, working on a post about souls.

So with the link between the worlds opened and Siberia devastated most of the crossover between the worlds happened there or further south in western asia. With all of this activity and the rising sea levels people fled west. The tide of immigrants caused trouble with the westerners. The cultural and language barriers only made things worse.

One of the dead men who crossed over was the former roman emperor Nero. He brought with him legions of former roman soldiers and set out to rebuild his empire. His time in the shadow world taught him how to manipulate magic and allowed him to raised the skeletons of fallen legionaries from the earth. His forces overwelmed anyone who stood in their path and their corpses added to his ranks. By 1535 they had retaken Rome and all of Italy. As the legions spread outwards they found that they zombies and skeletons grew weaker as they got further from the emperor limiting his borders to about 500 miles from Rome. Without need to feed the legions, the undead armies are relatively harmless to the people who dont attempt to fight them and accept roman rule.

The flooding in Europe and the addition of the undead Romans scrambled the nations. The holy roman empire spread east, France settles its border with New Rome. Spain annexes Portugal and is invaded by France.

London floods, and the moves its capital to Coventry. Refugees from the flooding are sent to Ireland, the Irish clans (also suffering from flooding) squabble with each other for territory but halfheartedly unite to try and push out the British. In response Henry 8 leads a campaign to conquer Ireland.

In South America the subjugated Aztecs raise an army of spirit warriors to slaughter the Spanish.

In the Ottoman empire and Arabia spirits with access to magic manifest themselves and claim to be angels of god sent to rule over men. Many people accept these angels as their rulers creating kingdoms that shatter the Ottoman empire.

I want to also point out the Rome would be under water, Nero built a new city on the new coats, but did not change its name.

Other than that thats most of what Ive got as far as larger worldbuilding. Most of what I wrote is stuff that pertains to what the players will experience in game. Any questions or comments help to try and keep fleshing things out though.

I need some help with my souls.

I have some established ideas:
>Gods create souls for 'their race'
>>Human souls are created from various objects and materials
>>Moradin smithes dwarven and gnomean souls in the sunforge at night
>>Hobgoblin God is ascended mortal, cant create souls, shares his own instead
>>Elf God is dead and the race survives by reusing souls; reincarnation. 'Half-elves' are elves with non-elven souls.
>>Many races, fx orcs and halflings, perished because their god died in the God Wars long ago

Death, the Grim Reaper, was a god of the Harvest, now he collects souls. Why is a great question, I havent found a good answer. He cares not for the praise of mortals, not after the 'his death' or something similar divine equivalent, however he still endured while all other gods indeed perished.

Valkyries, a class of angels, seek mortals souls worthy to fight for their course. They only take pure souls only and only after they have died. Angels do not swear allegiance to any God and they accept all races.

Devils/Daemons/whatever-name make faustian deals for mortal souls, even before the mortal is dead. I not sure what else to do to make them more involved.

Dwarves turn to stone as they age, this is their death. I figure they create their own 'afterlife' as a physical Hall of Ancestors. This is how far I have gotten with them, what happens with the souls (fades?), interaction with Death, interaction with living dwarves?

Hobgoblins share a divine spark, rather than a soul. They must give it back to their God. Individuality corrupts the spark and is socially a taboo. A "black-jack karma" is created

I need help expanding on these ideas; the 'endgame' of the souls, afterlife and purpose. What to do about humans and gnomes? Im also working on a lizardfolk race, but I dont know to even do about their soul creation, much less about their afterlife. Gnomes were created by Moradin, after he took over the soul creation for the dwarves, because he wanted his own

Wormhole tech for some crazy shots. Why make a calibre to shot through walls when your shot can just warp through it?

And then go a step further, what if you could shoot through time? You shoot the gun, bullet disappears and reappears 3 hours later, making this method useful for assassinations.

Random thoughts;
The Church and the Vatican should have some strong opinions on this, along with other religions. Even new religions could have spawned.

Likewise science probably got a kick in its ass and started reexamining 'supernatural' occurrences, trying to expand the science of the dual realm.

Death cults could arise, making arcane rituals involving mass slaughter/suicide to breach through the veil.

On a societal level a change in perception of "the crazy folk" would probably happen and is taken more seriously. Gypsies, charlatans and magic vendors appears.

Do you have any weird impractical weapon in your setting?

My has a long staff with triple blades on each end. Many careless warriors decapitated themselves trying to hit the enemy.

Dwarf souls could congeal in their Halls of Ancestors, seeping through their mines, winding through their rooms and corridors like the roots of a rotten tree. They could be the "soul" of a fortress, a heightened reflection of the mood of the clan. When illness strikes the people, illness strikes the mine, and the whole latticework breathes malice. It could explain "tantrum spirals", the secret feuds of families cooped up for centuries -- that kind of thing.

You could solve your soul-end problem by focusing on the gods. For example, the gods could themselves be incomprehensible essences of -- things. Their created "peoples" aren't made in the same way you or I make something, they're the natural splintering and paring down that happens when the Godly meets the Real. Each dwarf is just a tiny mote of what Moradin really is, cut off and given life inside reality. But this is just where God and Reality meet; the gods themselves are untouched.

Humans, in that sense, could be reality given form. Though I don't want to push too far that way, because then I'd just be suggesting my own ideas.

Hobgod could be trapped within reality despite divinity. Like an ant caught between two taught pages, if that makes any sense. Constantly splintering and splintering and splintering, and for real, while those splinters desperately try to keep their godhood together.

Demons could be stealing what godhood they can, to weaken the gods or to consume for themselves or for whatever other end you wish.

D'you mind if I steal some of your stuff?

Royal Chamber is an enchanted 4-shot revolver. Bullets are named after cards.
>King of Hearts
>Queen of Spades
>Jack of Diamonds
>Ace of Clubs
Every single one has a different effect upon impact.

Also there's Immitis, direct opposite of a Misericorde. It's a greatsword incapable of killing off an opponent for good, always leaving its victims concious and alive. Even after beheading someone, the body's still alive and capable of moving, as if it was still whole.

I'm a HEMAfag but I have a strange soft spot for huge scythes. Even when the wielder is wildly spinning around with insane momentum. They'd be omitted in any written works but in-campaign things are more fun.

I forgot to talk about the church. The Vatican, being in rome flooded but because the flooding happened gradually rather than all at once they were able to move most of the people and artifacts out. But all of that was seized by Nero and destroyed. People still call themselves Catholic, but no longer have any official leadership. In time the religion will split but for the time beign things are floating on.

In additon most people really dont understand what is going on because the traffic if mostly coming from the shadow world to the primary one. Those that do come over also dont have much of an understanding other than "I died, I went to the other world, and now I am back here years after my death." So the general consensus is that they were in some sort of purgatory or hell. Some monks debate whether or not they are doing what is needed to get into heaven. The truth is that all dead end up in the shadow world and that religions are based on magical events that happened in the past because of spirits that got a hold of power or individuals that were simply born with it (Jesus for example). The religions that built of around that are simply stories.

Cults are defiantly going to be a thing. I like the idea that some people figured out that they could open a portal by killing lots of people. In fact I will have that work. It would be funny if a cult opens a portal and just some random peasant walks through confused as to what was going on. That or a beast, (most people call them demons since they think the shadow world is hell) comes through and eats people becuase its just a big predator that eats people.

Another note about the beasts/demons and the shadow world. So when a person dies they get a new body almost immediately int he shadow world. This is like their last chance. If they die in their new body their soul is destroyed forever. The demons in the shadow world prey upon the animals and people that get sent over.

The Byuronic Railway Cannon is a weapon of terrible magics. Its barrel launches a pillar of phosphoric salt with the force of a small volcano. One shot could level cities. It has been compared to several religious events.

It is powered by great sacrifice. In this case, its own creation. You see, its railway is over a hundred miles long, and connected to precisely nothing else. It leans on a carriage which itself has no fuel, and in any case has no purpose. It was build on an island a thousand miles out at sea -- shipping the materials out there was ludicrously expensive. It just, *just* manages to fit one small fishing village within its range.

The politician who suggested it was shot. Interestingly, the cannon's efficiency increased by fifteen percent.

Does anyone know exactly how a coup de grace was delivered on wounded soldiers in medieval times, like the exact area to thrust into?

It's not like a specific manoeuvre or something. You just kill them. Though wikipedia says in a throwaway line that the most common way, with a misericorde, was down through the neck and into the heart.

Throat makes more sense. It's where the important stuff is concentrated and no pesky scull to get in the way.

there are a few specific ones i've heard of. this is one in armoured combat, i've also heard of, with a rondel/bollock dagger, going:
- through the helmet ocular (eye slit), through the eye, into the brain;
- under the armpit, through the mail voiders, right into the lung/heart.

if you can sever the jugular/carotid it will obviously kill eventually, but have you ever watched the chechen soldiers video? doing a throat slit is not an instakill.

I need some help thinking of names for emperors...

The empire has a German theme (like Holy Roman Empire and the Warhammer empire). They have a tradition of the emperor taking on an imperial name when he is elected, like the pope takes on a papal name, or the Roman emperor taking on their name. The names are supposed to be grandiose sounding, but also work alone as names.

Anything German/Latin sounding that has a meaning of something powerful, magnificent, grandiose, is good. Here are some examples I've come up with but not sure if they're good. Also I'd appreciate input from any German speakers about whether they sound good.

Magnus/Magna - definitely a strong sounding name, but a bit generic.
Sonneken (sun-kin) - , not sure if it sounds good in German.
Eisenfaust (lronhand) - sound good in English but not sure in Geman.
Verteidiger - hard to read in English, also probably sounds bad in German.
Löwenherz (lionheart) - generic, but cool sounding in English.
Invictus/Invicta - also a bit generic.
Seraphine
Makellos
Geistrich
Vermögend
Siegfried

what did you use to make the heraldry on your map?

I need it in a specific way, and also the most humane way. I saw that line on wikipedia but I couldn't find a source for it anywhere, so I decided to look elsewhere.

Yeah, I mean obviously probably wasn't an exact science back them, but if it makes them suffer needlessly I can't use it.

This sounds good, thanks

It's just placeholder stuff I took off google images and put on a shield background. I planning to redraw them eventually so I'm not just stealing existing stuff.

not the guy you are talking to but thanks for that link.

>D'you mind if I steal some of your stuff?
Sure, go ahead, I have gotten a lot from Veeky Forums myself.

>Dwarf souls could congeal in their Halls of Ancestors
as their "body-statue' crumbles, and like the rumble still lies on the floor so does the soul. Yes this is good.
The pervasiveness of the dwarven souls, keeping old grudges alive beyond one dwarf generation. That their souls perpetuate illness and mood, even to the physical (not the problem, kinda cool actually) suggests that the 'relationship' goes both ways. Im not so sure of living affecting the dead, but it could be a good way to do 'dwarven afterlife'. Im now beginning to question if there should be a general Hall for the entire Cavern city or it should be a more Clan based.

>[Gods are] the natural splintering and paring down that happens when the Godly meets the Real. Each dwarf is just a tiny mote of what Moradin really is, cut off and given life inside reality.
This is actually a pretty good description of what I want the Hobgod/soul to be. Not sure about the reality splintering, I want a more mythological driven world.

I want real gods, gods that walk the earth and interact with it and its inhabitants. This requires a redefinition of Faith;
>Faith in a material God means trust in the God to be a beneficial force in the world and to ones own life. Faith means following the teachings of the God, letting the God guide one through life. Faith also in gratitude from the gift of life and answered prayers.
Atheism is a delusion, maltheism is not, and actually a thing; the gods did go to war and that fucked up the world.

>Demons stealing godhood
This a good idea.

Dwarves got their physical Hall of Ancestors, Hobbos are 'reabsorbed' by their god and elves are reincarnating themselves. Still need something about humans, gnomes and lizardfolk.
Gnomes are created by the dwarven god, smithed in the sunforge (that's where the sun is during night time). They are primarily nomads, walking between cities

>I want a more mythological driven world.
Ironically, I was inspired by the Greek myths -- the idea being that the true "God/s" Xenophanes talks about turn into the lower, more human, more real gods who bicker and have sex with mortals.

>Equatorial Dinosaur Density
I want this to be a real thing.

I marathoned Killjoys recently.

So, anyone building some lawless frontier settings?

A fair bit of this sort of plays in to what I was thinking, but there's a lot of new ideas in there too. I can expand on those. A lot of the 'time' and 'ennui' problems I'd just sort of kicked down the road, assuming they'd go into cold sleep for years at a time, with systems (or others) to wake them, ala the Sleeper Service when it became desirable. Still runs into the holodeck issue. I based a lot of their 'personalities' around a news story I read about a hermit a while back, who had lived in the woods alone for nearly 30 years. Christopher something. Said that his personality evaporated, and it simply became irrelevant - he just was. Combine that with a line I read once, that time just makes us more of what we are, and I figured they'd have an incredibly simple, stripped down core of 'sapience' that was closer to a very clever dog, or something from blindsight, than a human unless there was a sudden and desperate need for it. Then the 'personality' surfaced.

Yes, two. One is a not!African state given law in the form of shotguns. The other is after the whole world's been made lawless frontier, and new empires are only now rising.

What's Killjoys?

It's a (relatively) new show on SyFy. About a trio of space bounty hunters. Though less of lawless frontier and more of company town dystopia.

It's pretty fun.

Looking to explore the resulting society and culture, mostly. I think part of the problem is that they aren't really threatened by much and there aren't many left. It's a low fantasy !earth, set in roughly the modern day. The immortals are.. considerably more advanced than modern !earth, even with the precious few actual researchers among them.

It also doesn't help that while the total number started at around 30000, their factionalism cut things down quickly, with the survivors numbering at around 800, all from a single group. They started out in a huge range of time periods (1600AD to 8200AD), so it seems difficult for any cohesive culture to form given that the first thousand years were struggle and work and mass die offs, followed by nearly immediate warfare with their factions after a stable society with resourcing was established. Nasty feeling I might have to alter them seriously to get anything coheisve.

They're a carry over from another game, a dodgy homebrew wargame with some bolt on metaworld aspects. It detailed the battles of the factions of our group of immortals throughout history, with each faction having a different 'outlook' on what they should be doing with mankind (the object of the game was to win a battle every two-three hundred years or so, allowing you to change the course of history a bit. We'd try to guess what the world would look like and factor things in to decide what the world would look like when the other 4 'factions' were defeated, blah blah, given what had happened to the world with what we'd done to it. Bit of fun, killed a few afternoons. Decided we wanted to play a game set in a world in which the non intervention faction won, allowing for them to sit quietly in the rub-al khali - being a part of the world without affecting it.

The year is 2060. The gay bug has broken out of the jar and the government doesn't know what to do. Is this going to lower the population? Will this further the government's power? Are the globalists behind this act?
Man and man next to each other. Back in 2016 thus would be no issue. Now, now is different. Man next to man is now man bending over man. For rape.
Rape. Common,legal, and encouraged. That's that the school taught us at least. And they made us practice it too. Gym class was replaced for Rectal Opening and Lubricating class. One by one we were forced to be taught that being gay... was good.
That's just the begging of the story. Less than a year later it didn't take long to see these acts take place in the real world. The real, gay world. At the bus stop is where I first saw it. A poster saying, "Gay is our Fave!", with a smaller font beneath it saying, "Gays live longer and are smarter. Insert it today."
Insert it? I turned my head over my shoulder to see an older male bending over a 20 year old male over the bus seat. The younger make crying and begging for forgiveness. The older specimen didn't have it. He slammed the younger smaller male to the floor as he tried to crawl away. He was raping the "twink".
And that's where I first saw it. It wasn't the last time. Sometimes I'd see gay rape take place every corner I turned, multiple times a day. For what reason?
Soon the government gave up on exterminating the gays. It was a bug that was spread all over America and too big to contain. That must explain the commercials I saw.
Those commercials included Viagra, with two men. Porn commercials on tv, with men. The government gave up didn't they? No. Don't be fooled. They implimented this and encouraged this.
Gay rape is legal, encouraged, and common.

Ive been trying to come up with a magi system that folllows the first rule of thermodynamics. SO far Ive found a way to incorporate healing as well as possibly fire into this, however I have not come up with too many more.

I dont want to stick to the basic elements of earth, wind, fire, water, ect but I want to be a bit more creative. However I'm hitting a wall.

My gods represent "laws of the universe" and as ones theme is "as above so below" I figure there cant be only positive powers that do thigns, but negative as well, and a way to harness it just like any other. Ive come up with a race that is resistant to poisons, sicknesses after creating a global epidemic that wiped out most of the worlds life. I really like this idea, as they are the counter to my health race.

Any other ideas on how to manipulate energy into subtle "magic"? I'm not too big on major magic, but I do enjoy the thought of it and making it feel spectacular, yet not over the top.

Kind Words, Anons.

If you'd like to see more of my stuff (usually with more in-depth descriptions and details) you can always peek your peepers at my work blog: spaghettiart.tumblr.com/

In the end regardless of whether they're mortals, or immortals, having some sort of conflict is a bit of a necessity in order for things to "move", so to speak. It doesn't always have to be a threat, but it does have to be some sort of impetus. Otherwise you hit that sense of stagnation that people commonly associate with immortality.

At the end of the day though, a society is still built up from individuals, and individuals aren't necessarily monolithic - even if immortality wears them down over time. In the case of your specific scenario, it's not unfeasible for a culture to establish - just that the scale won't be as substantial as say the "culture" of a whole race and such.

Writing about immortals, and trying to convey that sense of "time" can result in very substantial gaps in between, where the motivations, the thought processes, and the tendencies of these individual immortals get overlooked. When you don't have those, a "cohesive culture" can seem nebulous. I like working with massive casts of immortals, but even then, most of the action is played out via mortals.

At the end of the day, if a certain mode of thought appeals to you - like the other user's suggestion, then perhaps modelling an entire culture based on that mode of thought would be a fitting way to go. Ultimately for a subject that's so "up in the air" it's better to go with what actually interests you.

how would you guys feel about a /wbg/ pdf archive?

Anybody here working on a post-apocalypse setting?

If things like tractor beams or repulsion fields exist in your magical fantasy universe then you can use those to propel a projectile.

How this would actually affect weapon performance and whether or not it's better than a normal railgun or other electromagnetic gun really depends on how magic repulsion technology works in your setting.

Yes. I have a setting where the earth is devastated and demons invade. Now humanity has to fight back against them.

Curious, does anyone else here worldbuild for fun as opposed to for a game? Or am I alone?

I'm definitely considering it. I've never played D&D or any TTRPG before, but it seems so fun.

I've been worldbuilding for nearly a decade, a bit of writing on the side. I don't think anyone else will ever really see the result of it, it's just become something I do by now. I've long since stopped playing TTRPGs.

I do. Though its generally for writing that I'll never actually get around to. But I do thoroughly enjoy the creative process.

Hey guys, like one month ago i saw a wiki link here with a big questionnarie, it was amazing. Sadly i lost the link, anyone has it?

I'm chipping away at a post-apocalyptic setting where a plague has killed 98% of women.

Battletanx?

Working on a WW1 era post apoc setting.

vic and blood?

Yeah, i'm working on a exoplanet colonized by humanity after an incoming catastrophe on earth, after hundreds of years they still don't know if the apocalypse came or not because they can't contact earth.

Nah, this is where I got the idea.

At present, im world building for world building's sake and that I enjoy it. I however am leaving ample room for the possibility of making a game or book out of it. At this point my only goal is to flesh out the world.

I build worlds for its own sake, although I hope some day they come in handy.

Yes. Think ancient Sumeria, with buried titans and trench lines stuck in time.

There was a war. Everything fell to war. They split the soul, yes, but they also killed time. They drew the eye of God.

No one knows much. But the farmers farm, the smithies hammer bronze, and merchants travel between new cities. But they carry ration-bars in the backpacks worn by soldiers two hundred years ago, and the priests pray to iron gods of logic.

Sometimes metal men walk the dust. Sometimes the roaming starships pass overhead.

>the white place
A Drumpf convention?

Before i spend time fleshing out the idea, do you guys think it'd be a bad idea to have an isolationist island nation with cygnar/khador-esque arcane steampunk tech in a setting that is otherwise similar to the Forgotten Realms in terms of technology and society?

Everything depends upon execution. It could be an absolutely horrible idea, or a great one.

Are you interested in it AND its role within the wider world? Would your players be interested in it, and are you interested in making it interesting for them (if you're building for players)? If yes, then it'll probably be good. If no, then it'll be shit.

Whatever you do, don't just plonk them down in their own little world.

>sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/
If it's this, it was shit.