Imperium Asunder

Chaos BTFO edition

Previously on Imperium Asunder: This is a 40k alt-lore thread with new legions to replace the old ones, new xenos races in addition to the old ones, and a bunch of other wild shit , new posters are always welcome.
Want to find out what the setting's deal is? Check out our wiki.
1d4chan.org/wiki/Imperium_Asunder
The wiki is still not as up to date as we'd like, feel free to post questions/clarifications/ideas

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=132WIdxvgdo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Where is the capitol of the Dark Imperium?

Terra.

THIRD FOR FUCK THE WARMASTER

So if Terra is the capitol of the Dark Imperium then that means the Dark Imperium is controlled by Chaos.

In what way has Chaos been "BTFOd"?

it's a joke

I don't get this... Is this some sorta Chaos Wank Fest? Should I be impressed or disgusted?

What is there not to get? I'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

Even though the point of the last thread was to work on the wiki, I don't think that happened.
Maybe we could open a Google Drive or something, so people who've been keeping notes can share them.

That's a great idea. Do you want to start one up?

I'm about to start a writeup for the conflict between Scions successors and the Eldar in segmentum Tempestus, which I'll call Warzone Tempestus. Anything I should keep in mind?

I think it might be a good idea to come up with guys like the Chaos Champions.
Atm only Cullen of the Bloodhounds is really detailed.
I suggested Kalvas Elsophar of the Behemoth Guard for Tzneetch.

Got no clue for the other two cult legions.

Might also be cool to work up a high priest of chaos character for the Asura.
Probably a chosen of Malal. I think I recall Alexios posting a guy.

Then there's chosen of the Emperor and the Legions of the Damned. Anwynn MacLior leads them, but there may also be a few other legendary figures.
Then there's the question of veterans of the long war. I came up with 3 dudes last thread that I'll post here for your thoughts.

Tlaloc Tzotz, Lord of the Count, the Blind Seer, the Exile
During the crusade and the heresy, Tlaloc was a member of Xun's inner circle. A librarian of rare power, even in a legion known for its command of warp craft, Tlaloc testified at Nikea and went on to play an important role in many of the battles of the Solar Rim campaign. However, on Prospero, Tlaloc seems to have come under a strange influence.
Whether a tome, a phantasm of the warp, or something else, Tlaloc began to diverge from the cautious Path of Heaven of Xun and Tepectitlan.
In the aftermath of the Heresy, Tlaloc initiated unorthodox experiments in the Warp, looking for better ways to fight the neverborn. Specifically, Tlaloc developed a ritual similar to the soul binding performed by the Emperor on Astropaths. While this protected librarians from the neverborn and increased their ability to slay them, it delved into strange xenos lore of the dancing eldar.
Xun was furious that Tlaloc had done this without approval, even as Xun developed his own method for soulbinding.
For this breach of trust, Tlaloc was cast out from the Legion, with nothing but a small band of retainers.
From then on, though allowed to meet with members of the Legion, Tlaloc was on his own. Xun being Xun, a path to redemption was left open. If Tlaloc could gather all the data, then he would be allowed back.
Still devoted to the cause of the Imperium, Tlaloc seeks for a way into the legendary Black Library of the Harlequins.
In this task, there is none he will not work with and nothing he will not do. He has raided Angelic Abbeys and Asuran Libraries alike.

(I'm thinking he still has his library card to the Sky Serpents. Xun basically couldn't condone his reckless acts, but seeing how the censure of Oramar turned out, he figured he'd try something different with his own son. The results are mixed.)

Pretty sure the loyalists currently have the most fluff bruh.

I literally don't have the time at the moment, too much work.

I aim to drop a fat dump of info in the Silver Spears section soon.

In regard to the Heresy, I think we worked out a whole bunch of good shit last thread, we just need to drop it in. I'll be adding Malphas, Vanaheim, and Terra to the Heresy section of the Negators page the moment I get a real chance to sit down and make it all look presentable.

Damn man, I would, but I;m not a smart man. I can't figure out Google Drive of Dropbox if I tried.

Good shit. Kinda reminds of Ahriman.

Yeah, Chaos being as powerful as it is is just a quirk of the setting. It more of a 30k wankfest than anything.

I might actually add a couple of things to people's pages as well. I understand people can be very busy.

>It more of a 30k wankfest than anything.

This, holy shit.

This is a setting for people who want to be space knights fighting spikier space knights.

Guilty as charged. Hell, Cybernetica cohorts are still a thing.

>Nofr'atos the Traveller
Like so many of his brothers, Nofr'atos stands in shadows dark as his plate. What is known for certain is that Nofr'atos was a captain in the favor of his lord, Graha'Nak. Stranded in the Sol Sector during the heresy, Nofr'atos lead the capture of the Second Sons world killer, Terminus Est.
With this ship at the head of his small armada, Nofr'atos embarked on a self appointed mission of justice, razing the world that had betrayed their oaths to the Emperor.
To this day, the Terminus Est is said to appear suddenly from the depths of the warp to pass judgement with strange and ancient bioweapons. Rumor suggests that an Oathsworn detachment protected during their censure by Nofr'atos provide these, but the survivors of the Terminus Est's revelations are seldom in a state to provide much detail, though legends of a figure in dark cataphractii plate, with a cape of human skin and a massive, bone handled scythe, descending amid shells that render life down to sludge to dispense personal judgement and the enlightenment of terror abound.

Unless you want to be undead walking tanks fighting space elves and robot skeletons.

>Good shit. Kinda reminds of Ahriman.

it's basically Ahriman but Imperial Asunder(so not Chaos).

Terra is ruled by the Warmaster. He has a tenuous relationship with chaos at best, and an adversarial one at worst.

Any one of you guys playing Eternal Crusade by the way? I'm about to go check it out.

And then this guy:

>Johannes Hoenheim, the Chiurgeon
One of Faustus' brightest, Hoenheim was there during the siege of Luna, one of the few Oathsworn to escape. Entrusted with preserving as much of the Oathsworn's work as possible, Hoenheim escaped with Knights Exemplar even as Luna plummeted towards Terra.
Hoenheim is a complicated man. On the one hand, he seeks to preserve the legacy of his gene-father, wandering from court to court in the East instructing and researching as the opportunity presents itself. At times he even creates stunning works if genomancy.
Despite this, Hoenheim is haunted by his memories of Luna, and, in particular, he cannot forgive the Judgement Bringers or the Paladins of Kor.
When his humors swing towards the cholera, Hoenheim will vanish, only later to appear reaving the Protectorate or attacking the Judgement Bringers.
It is suspected, but never proven, that these raids on the Protectorate are sponsored by various other states.
For Hoenheim's part, he cares little as long as he is able to extract some quantum of solace from his revenge.

if we're posting characters from last thread

>Ramiel Torm and the Crypt Vultures
After the tumult of the age of apostacy and the wars of interpretation over Alexios' great theological work, Euangelia Theologia, a few commanders of exceptional worth emerged from the ranks. Most notable of these new commanders was Ramiel Torm, who would come to be known as the Green Angel. Ramiel was a fiercely zealous man, but his zealotry was of a practical, calculating sort. Many foolish zealots among the Angels came to believe that the God Emperor had made them invincible, and learned to their peril the error of that sort of thinking. Ramiel famously said at the battle of Sotha, "The God Emperor may be on our side, but tanks are tanks."

Ramiel embodied the logistical genius of his genesire, quickly proving one of the most skilled captains in Imperium Minorum. He had an overwhelming sense of certainty about him, his orders always sounding like the most important orders ever given, and to Ramiel they always were. His ironclad authority trickled down to his men, making them a tough and reliable lot.

When the treacherous Void Dragon Shard unleashed its fury on the Unyielding Vigil, three chapters of marines were chartered for crusade, and Ramiel Torm was granted one. Little was yet known of the conflict, but it was said the enemy rose from ancient xenolithic crypts hidden below the Vigil Worlds. Ramiel chose to name his chapter the Crypt Vultures, saying that he intended to "stand over the iron bones of the enemy like vultures."

The highly mobile Crypt Vultures proved invaluable to the slow and purposeful Undying Scions, Helping to outmaneuver the Necrons. When the Necron assaults were broken and the battles turned underground to purge the Necron Tombs, the jetbikes of the Crypt Vultures proved ineffective. Ramiel had many of his bike squadrons re-outfitted as assault marines, whose short bursts of speed and mobility were far more practical in the cold and winding dark.

I think we need some more prompts and points of discussion. Anyone got anything good?

Let's talk WAAAGH: The Beast!

The Warmaster has only recently won, the firewall has stabilized, and the terror of old night has returned. An Ork Warboss decides these spikey boyz are worth krumpin, and starts a WAAAGH against the new Dark Imperium, as well as the cacophany of daemonic entities entering realspace in the wake of the Eye of Terra's birth.

Orkz vs CSM and Daemons. Let's talk about it. Major battles? Major characters? Resolution of the war?

Isn't the point of the beast to explain why the number of Astartes drops considerably between 30k and 40k?

Let's start with the basics. We want this war to be between the Dark Imperium and the Orkz. I guess that means we've placed Ullanor in front of the Firewall, since the location is not actually known.
The first important question is what state the Dark Imperium is in at this point. Has the Warmaster managed to get/keep a firm enough hold on his brothers and his citizens, or will the Eyes of the Warmaster have to take care of the situation by themselves? For everyone's information, the Beast rises to power around 1,500 years after the Ullanor Crusade.

I think this setting loses a lot of its appeal if the Warmaster is actively at odds with the Chaos gods. Likewise, while the idea that the Warmaster doesn't have full control over the Daemon Primarchs and their legions is cool, I think he should be in a position that if push comes to shove, he puts his foot down and the legions at least come do what he says. Maybe he can't execute summary authority like that often, but he should have it. If they aren't under his banner after all, why aren't they actively killing each other. Its chaos after all.

>I guess that means we've placed Ullanor in front of the Firewall,
I think it's supposed to be somewhere in Segmentum Solar?

>For everyone's information, the Beast rises to power around 1,500 years after the Ullanor Crusade.
I think timing wise the WAAAGH fits best while the loyalists are reeling from losses and haven't yet unified for the first crusade. Later half of M31, early half of M32.

>State of the Dark Imperium
Probably VERY ununified. The forces of Chaos rampaged across the territory destroying, reaving, and enslaving. This period is pivotal for the Warmaster, as he tries to turn a warzone into a territory. He's courting the chaos primarchs and trying to get them to rule territory for him as chaos marches, he's trying to keep the Dark Mechanicus in line, and most importantly of all he's trying to convince Imperial Citizens to get back to citizen stuff.

A cunning propagandist like the Warmaster might even use a massive WAAAGH to those ends. Suddenly he's fighting a defensive war instead of an offensive one, and defensive wars are a propagandists' wet dream. The Imperium must unify under the Warmaster or face certain doom!

>why aren't they actively killing each other.
They are. The Warmaster has authority and control, but it's tenuous. Controlling chaos warbands is inherently difficult, and he does his best, but they're still chaos. That's why he forms the chaos marches. He keeps the most chaotic and dangerous warbands distant from his territory and close to the crusaders. I feel like a lot of the people in this thread don't actually know what "marches" means.

>Surrounding the 'ordered' heartland of the Dark Imperium is the Chaos Marches, a screaming anarchy comprising hundreds of chaos warlord states. Some are ruled by Veterans of the Long War that still wear the colors of their legions, but most are ruled by warbands of outcasts, exiles and dissidents with their own ways. Some of these states may last for centuries or millenia, while others rise and fall in a matter of years. The borders between them are constantly shifting as Warlords rise and fall. The citizens of this area live in permanent fear that the Angels of Hell may come from the skies to reap and enslave, to sacrifice and feast.

I say we just skip the period that has his trying to establish control post-heresy. It can be summized easily. I think immediately after the heresy the traitor primarchs are going to most closely aligned.

The appeal of this setting is that its inverted from the normal 40k.

That is, loyalists are hiding in their equivilent of the eye, and the traitors are managing a galaxy spanning empire. The Warmaster is a more effecient administrator than the imperial senate, so its plausible he has to worry less about rebellions an the like.

To weaken this, he has to deal with the inherent back-stabbiness of chaos. Which is why he moves those types the the fringes.

To bring it back to normalcy, he has his eyes, everywhere. His eyes are the Inquisition ramped up to 100. They put down incursions and the like before the groups even have formulated their plans fully.

I don't think his control over the Dark Imperium should be anything less than the Imperiums control in 40k proper, and should in all honesty be considerably better.

The Beast should be far easier to handle for the Dark Imperium. A couple of things contribute to this, not the least of which being the fact that they actually have more than one Primarch and a single competent leader. In the OU the only Primarch left is Vulkan and they Imperium is lead by the High Lords, which has never been very effective.

I like the idea of the Warmaster using the Beast as a way to unite the Dark Imperium and cementing his position and power.

By the way, I thought of something related to something mentioned in the last thread, relating to the Warmaster. I think it was Enoch that suggested his eyes weren't burning orange, as much as catlike. This gave me the idea that the Warmaster's eyes should be special. Besides dark vision, he should be able to percieve things at incredible detail, even more than his bretheren. He could use this to analyse people's body language down to the smallest details, helping him manipulate them.

This setting is indeed a role reversal, but IMO an imperium that worships the Ruinous Powers in at least some capacity is going to have significant differences from the OU Imperium. A state formed by revolution (dark imperium) is inherently less stable than a state that survived and defeated that revolution (regular imperium.)

IMO, it's a bit of both. Inside the true Dark Imperium territory, the Warmaster rules with extreme authority, and has far more control than the OU imperium. On the fringes though, in the chaos marches, there is no law, no order, only war and death.

The Warmaster's imperium is smaller and more centralized, with decentralized client states surrounding it so that it is insulated from war with outside forces.

>percieve things at incredible detail, even more than his bretheren. He could use this to analyse people's body language down to the smallest details, helping him manipulate them.
totally unnecessary.
I mean, you could have his armour have scanners that read things like body temperature, heart rate, etc and it still seems less wanky than having sharingan eyes.

Wouldn't be too much of a stretch. All it would really mean is that his eyes can see further and percieve more details. All of the other perks would be (self-)taught. As for the heat scanners and the like he would likely still carry a lot of that sort of equipment.

>Ork Attack Moon appears over Terra
>Every Daemon in the System flocks to it.
>Orks are drowned in a tide of Daemons

its just not necessary. He doesn't need to have batman level observation. What does it add to his character that he couldn't already do? He was already a skilled manipulator. All it does it make him sound overdone.

This being a character that thrives on having a lack of information about him.

Well they would probably assault the millions of worlds around Terra first.

I'm in favor of him being remarkably perceptive, but not having batman detective vision.

which is what he already was. He doesn't need super eyes. perception is more about mindset than it is 'eye-power'

yeah I agree

So, WAAAGH: The Beast. Let's talk opening moves and how it starts.

Let's assume Ullanor is somewhere in segmentum Pacificus. The Warmaster has managed to consolodate his power and re-establish the legitimacy of the Imperium, but his hold over the outer regions is tenuous and several of the Legions who fought with him were not so much loyal to him as they were united against the Emperor. With that uniting factor gone, A significant part of his military might threatens to break away.

Ork Rokks start trickling in from Pacificus, invading and conquering a number of worlds very quickly. The WAAAGH threatens to gain momentum if it is not stopped quickly (it wont be) and there are rumors of a Warboss the likes of which the galaxy has never seen. There are more insidious rumors spreading that the Orks have some mysterious backer: Perhaps the devious Eldar seeking to destabilize humanity, perhaps some elaborate plan of Oramar, perhaps an effort by the Crusader States to weaken the Warmaster. The Warmaster's Eyes have conflicting reports from unreliable sources. However, it is clear the Greenskins are not acting purely on their own, for their might is relentless and their numbers unfathomable.

What does the Warmaster do?

He might not have the direct support of the other legions, but I don't think any of the traitors can rival him in regards to the support of the Dark Mech, Rebel Auxillia and Armadas.

Thats where his power really lies. Astartes are good, great even. But they are far to few even in 30k. The Warmaster control the human forces, I see him pulling out all the stops to show the other traitors that he IS the military power house post heresy.

Once he has a demonstration of force, I think you'd be pretty stupid to ignore his orders considering that he has his legion, the Judgement Bringers, AND the vast majority of non-astarte forces.

I mean, he couldn't take on all of the traitors combined, but I think he should make it clear that anything less isn't going to end well for the traitor legions.

From there all he has to do, is find a way to draw the Orks into other peoples territory, and have them come to him for help.

What happened to the Lamenters.

There are no Lamenters. All of the OU canon legions are non-existent, replaced by new ones. That means canon successor chapters don't exist either.

They were never made.

Well I guess they might have been. IDK who would have the most similiar geneseed though

The 20 legions of the Adeptus Astartes

I personally think he'd wait to establish a defensive front against these attacks before phoning in Balthasar and Aodhan and the likes. Showing that he can hold out against something like this with the sheer manpower of the Imperium itself is pretty important.

I also think he's the kind to conserve favours, too.

I imagine he'd send the Judgement Bringers, along with a vast muster of Imperial Guard, to reinforce the edges of Segmentum Solar against these attacks. Not to make counter offensives yet, but to show his subjects and his brothers that he can hold the line.

Then he might wait and see how the situation develops.

Actually, that's an interesting question, ne? Does the Warmaster have the backing of the four the way Abbadon does, to the point where when the Warmaster needs Balthasar to get off his ass and do something, the Blood God will send 8 Bloodthirsters?
Chaos still fights itself, but when the Warmaster speaks, the gods support him and the Legions fall in line.

This seems pretty good.
As well as this. I imagine that when he calls, there are some who claim that he hid behind Enoch and the powers of the warp. Perhaps part of the reason that he doesn't just Is because he's trying to prove the strength of his legion and his state. It ends up backfiring somewhat since it escalates the situation.

Yeah thats the way I see it. Fight all you want amongst yourself but when I call, you can bet the big 4 are backing me, so you better listen up.

I like this. That means the WAAAGH will be mostly repelled by IG regiments, imperial navy, and shit, and maybe what ends it is CSM getting involved.

I'm imagining something space WWI, with Imperial Guardsmen hiding in trenches/bunkers with autoguns and heavy bolters, holding back hordes of Orks while Chaos Commisars rant about the Warmaster.

So he holes up and forms the lines. In the mean time, I'd imagine that the Orks might also be raiding the other marches in Pacificus, which would be the Second Sons and the Behemoth Guard. Which seems like a huge mistake to put those two next to each other, now that I think of it.

Either way, if the Second Sons are on the same front as the Behemoth Guard, fighting Orks, you may well trigger flashbacks on Saul's part and have him start attacking the Behemoth Guard and exterminatusing worlds until the Plaguefather tells him to stop, opening an era of instability that won't end until after The Beast lies dead on [INSERT WORLD HERE]

you could go full puppet master, and have the Warmaster set up his defences to shape the ork attack towards the marshes. This lets him do 2 things, 1: reduce the threat to his domain and 2: force the otherwise spectator forces to join in. Without him needing to ask.

Well, I imagine that it's mostly IG and Navy assets that secure the line. At which point the full extent of this shit, and the Beast itself, reveal themselves.

When this conflict really gets going the Crusader States could attempt to make a push up around the Tempestus Gap into Segmentum Solar, striking while the Warmaster's forces are mired in battle with the Beast.

This would be the first real test of the Warmaster's regime. I imagine the big 4 give him more backing once he survives this mostly on his own merits.

I think the four dedicated legions are the most loyal to him, except for Enoch who's gone full Darth Vader.

>Balthasar Bornhold
He's not like Angron. Balthasar is a born nobleman turned stalinesque dictator. He rules over a many agriworlds, feudal worlds, death worlds, etc. These worlds tithes are valuable to the Warmaster, and Balthasar is his feudal bully, extracting levies of soldiers, grain, ores, and slaves, often through violence. Citizens of these worlds are usually insular, not knowing much about any "Imperium" or really that there's anything other than their world. All they know is red monsters coming from the sky to rape and pillage.

>Gengrat Vannevar
You can bet your bottom dollar Gengrat would have his fist so far up the Dark Mechanicum's ass he could turn their head like a puppet. The Warmaster would keep him close. Maybe he rules over a shitload of daemonic forgeworlds, churning out warmachines and shit. He's like the Dark Mechanicus equivalent of Sinistrum.

>Kashaln
Give him titles and people to rape/kill and he's a happy camper. I think Kashalnanon said they live in a fleet which usually chills in the warp. By the time of the WAAAGH Kashaln's a slaaneshi futa DP and his legion is probably shattered into like six billion warbands, most of which just like killing each other for fun.

>Saul Sheridan
Insane Nurgle daemon prince who wants to destroy reality. Some of his companies might form warbands which could be as loyal as any Judgement Bringer though, I imagine.Such warbands would be tightly regimented machines of war, and their auxiliary regiments of Imperial Guardsmen slash Nurgle Cultists would be major weapons in the Dark Imperium's arsenal.

Maybe the Warmaster diverting forces against W:TB is the impetus for Engerand mobilizing the 1st Crusade?

It also wouldn't surprise me some if the Warmaster miscalculates a bit on that one, specifically as the Astartes come to the front as per The Second Sons viciously attack the Behemoth Guard, which the Warmaster had accounted for, so that's not catastrophic, but Balthasar insists upon his hunt and being sporting.
After some major setbacks, the Warmaster has Anshul go slap some sense into Balthasar about the true nature of Khorne, but this process in itself leads to battles drawing away from the effort against The Beast.
Meanwhile, the Negators, who have no front to defend, show up, kill something cool and then lose interest.

>Gengrat
Hell yeah. Perhaps he never relinquishes control of the Red Planet and the Warmaster popes him Fabricator General to get him to stop looting the archives on Mars and go conquer the Forgeworlds that the Loyalists are in the process of stripping.

Afterwards, he may hole up on Mars, happy to obey the Warmaster so long as the Warmaster backs him up in having first right to any archaeotech

maybe 2nd instead since the 1st is meant to be the immediate counter attack once the loyalists reorg after their retreat.

making him fabricator general is lame. its just wasting another character opportunity for no reason. The Dark Mech has never been 1 unified group. Its a hodge bloge of hereteks who trade information and resources.

that takes a long time though. Remember, there's no fucking astronomicon. Old night is back and IA is essentially a second Age of Strife. The Chaos dudus are unimpeded by chaos, so they can stay unified, but for the Crusaders it's like being caught outside in a blizzard. You can shout all you want, but nobody can hear you, and even if they could, nobody can reach you. Only once sickass Malcador starts lighting beacons in the night sky can the loyalists start organizing, and that takes time.

Yeah, these guys seem like his true loyalists of each ruinous power, with the Judgement Bringers being the Undivided diehards.

I get the impression Anshul would care somewhat about Waaagh! The Beast because he does proselytize (right?), but he might not present a united front with the Warmaster's forces until later. The Iron Hearts and Negators seem like they'd only be brought in as the fight gets bloody, or when the Crusader States use the disruption as an opportunity to launch a crusade. The Iron Hearts would be defending their little empire and the Warmaster could probably pull Aodhan in by promising him something big to kill. In fact, bringing him in specifically to kill The Beast would probably make sense.

I actually think it's better if the DI has no Fabricator General, and part of the reason Gengrat sides with the Warmaster is that he hates the mechanicus and wants to start his own tech cult with blackjack and forgefiends.

then it hardly makes sense to attack them at all. They wouldnt even know the Warmasters domains are weakening.

better

Sure, but the idea I was going with is that when last seen, Gengrat is busy looting the Vaults of Moravec and the like on Mars, in part because he figures if he wants cool Heretek, he should get it now because the Warmaster is going to take it and keep it all to himself. Why? Because that's what Gengrat would do.
But if the Warmaster gives Gengrat a title that says "here, you have a right to all that cool stuff you love so much", then Gengrat can leave Mars without worrying about someone jacking his shit.
Since the Warmaster bestows the title, it naturally includes a proviso that Gengrat share with the Warmaster and make stuff for him when asked to.
It also means that when Gengrat hears about something cool in another march and that stuff isn't given over to the Warmaster, it's Gengrat who gets angry and pimp-slaps them. Probably with some sort of Warmaster bling to assert the Warmaster's authority through him.

It's less about being an actual Fabricator General and way more about performing power to keep people in line, since Gengrat is going to be running around trying to grab the shiny toys anyways. With him given some sort of nominal dominion over the Machine Cult (Gengrat's new, cooler one), Gengrat is no longer a threat to the system because he has been made part of it.

I dont see him wanting to have athing to do with the Mechanicusn.

Even wanting their junk

I agree with this post

I bet Gengrat wouldn't care much for their schematics and knowledge because he cares about innovation whereas they mostly forbid it, but he would totes care about their manufactorums and resources and shit.

>Meanwhile, the Negators, who have no front to defend, show up, kill something cool and then lose interest.

youtube.com/watch?v=132WIdxvgdo

>Leth Golath
>2nd Sarjent of the 3rd Negators Cohort
On the Volcanic world of Molgaath, during the Dark Imperium's retaliation against WAAAGH: The Beast, Leth Golath earned eternal glory. The world was a mekforge of the Greenskin's war machine, churning out mekanoid walkers, halftracks, planes, and any other constructions the MegaMeks could cobble together. Largest and greatest among these rusted iron monstrosities was the Gargant, an Ork construction akin to an Imperator class Titan in scale.

Sarjent Golath was armed with a Multi-melta cannon, a powerful new design produced by the Gengrat's dark techno-cultists. On his back was a powerful warp engine, which fueled his multi-melta as well as a pair of jump-jets. Soaring upward, Golath's blasts of superheated plasma tore into the thick armor plating and crippled the inner workings. Across several leaps he climbed the Gargant, finally coming to an overlook on its head. Golath then superheated his multi-melta, putting it into a state which would result in total catastrophic overdrive.

Eyewitnesses on the ground several kilometres away are reported to have heard laughter before the whole world turned to light. What amounted to a tiny star formed from the overloading multi-melta, creating an explosive blast orders of magnitude hotter than the sun. The burst sustained itself for several hours before burning out, and in that time the land and everything standing on it churned to molten slag.

What makes you say that?

>Not caring about their schematics and knowledge
Yeah, he'd not be terribly interested in all that except in as much as they'd contain new/lost crap. Machine canon means nothing, but a plan for a new deathray is still a plan for a new deathray.

On a related note:
The big difference between the Orthodox Mechanicum and what I'd been imagining for Gengrat is that I'd been thinking the Behemoth Guard claims that the Machine Spirit can be accessed directly without need to go through the channels of the Martian Orthodoxy. They see machine spirits as a specific type of daemon, a belief they support with the Xana II style control cortexes.
So they have machine mystics who speak in machine tongue when the Spirit overcomes them, that kind of thing. They identify Tzneetch a the great spirit who drives progress, and give him a bunch of names like Lightbringer.
If you want to draw a parallel to a real world thing, the Mechanicum is like the Catholic Church and the Behemoth Guard is like really, really crazy snake-handling Protestants who have been reading waaaaaay too much Paul.
'The Law of the Mechanicum chained the Spirit and allowed Stagnation, so the Omnissiah sent the Spirit, and through the Spirit, Progress became manifest. Thus by the Works of Spirit we live in the Omnissiah who is Tzneetch and our works are made great, for the Works of Law are Stagnation, but the Works of Spirit are Progress.'

>If you want to draw a parallel to a real world thing, the Mechanicum is like the Catholic Church and the Behemoth Guard is like really, really crazy snake-handling Protestants who have been reading waaaaaay too much Paul.

more like if the protestants were advocates of the book of Judas and the dead sea scrolls, but yeah. It's like reformed Mechanicumism

reformed with chayoss

>expecting anyone to understand some crazy christian parallel

In a more interesting topic.

I know a bunch of us are only here for the primarchs and the legions. So we should get prompts going to discuss that stuff.

>he didn't minor in theology

>Prompts
What are the chaos legions up to during the Beast's invasion
What do they do after the warp storms prevent them from pursuing the loyalists?

How about the century siege?

How is the Dark Imperium organized? Does Anshul have shrine worlds all over the place?

How about some strife on the same sides, who does your March or State hate and fight with when they get the chance?

Haha. Makes sense. I've been doing Ancient Near East with a bit of OT, Albright School style. Only doing Paul this semester because they're making me. (That's what happens when the ANE is housed in the Religion department.)

Do we have four non-primarch champions of chaos?

>Korne
Captain Cullen
>Tzeentch
Kalvas Elsophar (who i know nothing about)
>Nurgle
????
>Slaanesh
????
>Malal
Jafar Caan

Kalvas Elsophar is a Behemoth Guard dude who could be a potential chosen of Tzneetch. Basically a librarian and master of the forge who makes abomination engines and the like.
The basic idea is:

Kalvas Elsophar, like so many other Behemoth Guard was recruited from the mist-shrouded world of Terrodyne. He proved as skilled with the arcane arts of the warp as with command and soon rose to a position of prominence, at times augmenting the durability of his brethren and their tanks, at others, divining the outcome of battles. He initiated the practice of planning campaigns in a manifold, allowing him to inload data as it came in and exload situation reports directly to his commanders. Like many other senior members of the legion, he was close with his Primarch, who displayed a level of paternal affection and pride that astonished many outside the legion, and it is theorized that the Changer of Ways approached the Primarch through the medium of Kalvas Elsophar. It is unknown when Elsophar began to treat with the foul powers of the warp, but once introduced, perhaps during the Xana Compliance, they proved intoxicating. When Imperial records next clearly sight Kalvas Elsophar, it is in the Sol System, his fleet having been tasked with the Luna Compliance. It is likely that Luna was the first time the infamous Abomination Engines the Behemoth Guard were unleashed, where fragmentary pict-captures record the stuff of nightmares crafted from immaterium. Wheels within wheels within wheels crowned by a nine-faced flaming beast's heads duel with genewrought dragons even as coiling tongues of metal that writhe in the shape of winged serpents, their wings covered in eyes tear Imperial fightercraft from the sky. Kalvas Elsophar roams the galaxy to this day, unleashing hordes of daemons and his newest creations in his wake.

Neat.

Well, I know a bit of his backstory and know he leads the warband the Beloved Sons, but could never come up with a whole story/description/name for the Nurgle chosen. He worships radiation as the warm loving embrace of Nurgle and is spends a lot of his time irradiating/proselytizing around the galaxy. He has a huge huge army of ghouls at his beck and call.

As per , I'm thinking when Gengrat wants something, he sends Elsophar. Elsophar circulates amongst the hellforges to gather tithes and see what new wonders have been created. His own ship, which needs a cool name, is an archaeotech Ark Mechanicum presented to him by Gengrat. The ship's core has a belligerent and intelligent sentience and has been sanctified in the name of Tzneetch by Elsophar, who spends long hours in communion with it via MIU. The on board forge itself is bathed in the warp, allowing the construction of the infamous abomination engines even in realspace.
When a crusade is declared and Gengrat himself does not lead, Elsophar is the symbol of his authority. Elsophar maintains this position through ever more inventive horrors of technosorcery.

Essentially, Gengrat has 9 Forge attendants, who are the best of his legion's artificers. The membership shifts over time, with tzneetchy star screaming to get into that inner circle, but guys like Elsophar are more or less permanent members, having been blessed by the changer of ways.
So there's nine primary houses in the legion with many more lesser houses and even more splinter fleets.
Gengrat has a direct line of authority to each, but tends to let the legion and it's domains run themselves. When he calls, they come.

what kinda thinly veiled stereotypical naming conventions do Second Sons use?

I was actually going for something Colonial American, but as Chosen of Nurgle his name kinda has to be a reference to a disease or something. I contemplated having his name be Crabb, as in cancer, but that doesn't sound Space Marine enough. Karkinos is the obvious choice, but that's way too Greek.

Solomon Fect?

Decent, but he doesn't really infect anyone with anything. I'll think a little more about it.

Just a thought though, does the non-Primarch Chosen have to be a Space Marine?

Just my opinion, but I'd say an unaugmented human could be chosen, but it would require them to be quite exceptional, to be noticed by gods themselves while there are Marines with both superhuman strength and considerable if not superior intellect to choose from.

I was just thinking it might be interesting to have one be a woman. The Nurglite one especially. A mother's love, so to speak. Maybe the captain of the Second Sons Gloriana?

What would she have done to get Nurgle's attention?

Turned billions of people into ghouls by nuking their hive cities. The captain of the Second Sons largest nuke delivery system has probably ordered some pretty heinous atrocities. Especially after they fall to Chaos.

It's not anywhere near a fully formed idea mind you, I'm just mulling over ways to make the Champion of Nurgle not just "Typhus but with radiation".

I think that would be enough to get Nurgle's attention, but what would make her special enough to be chosen instead of a Marine? Does her personality make her the perfect choice? Is she capable of something more than a Marine?

Well, at the risk of sounding corny/cliched, love. She loves every single person she kills/mutates like their her own children. Maybe she ends up fused to the ship itself, so it becomes even more literal when she "embraces" the world's she comes to. Moreover, the Beloved Sons are just that. Her Sons. Her children, that she uses to deliver more people into the fold that is the nuclear warmth of Nurgle.

>Maybe she ends up fused to the ship itself, so it becomes even more literal when she "embraces" the world's she comes to.

Too much imo. The chosen are supposed to be the movers and shakers of the Dark Imperium after the daemon primarchs become basically demi-gods who are too high-level for mortal planes of existence. They need to be sort of down to earth in ways their primarchs aren't. What if she's sort of a Regimental Guard lieutennant who serves with the Second Sons and drinks the irradiated nurgle kool-aid? She finds out she has psyker powers and starts performing necromancy on her fallen soldiers, and it's the Second Sons so there are a lot of fallen soldiers. Same sort of motherly attitude, she's just keeping her boys marching.

Well, that does more or less sound like what kind of personality Nurgle would like. I'm not too sure about merging with a ship, nor of her raising the dead, unless there are limits to this ability.

With chaos, there's always a cost to power. Everything has limits.

Well, I did this guy for the Silver Spears:

>Cleophus the Immaculate
The master of the 7th Chapter of the Silver Spears is a monstrosity from the early days of the old Imperium. Known for his fair visage, Cleophus was respected by his colleagues as a war-sage matched by few, but as he grew in years and his remarkable looks soured his disposition grew cold and bitter. When the censuring of the Oathsworn was undertaken, Cleophus offered the attache to his Chapter sanctuary, on the condition that they use their gene-sorceries to sooth the changes wrought by time upon him. It is said that these traitors to their Brothers remain at his side to this day, their bodies twisted by millennia of grisly experimentation, Cleophus' closest ministers and advisors.

In the years since the Heresy, Cleophus has put myriad technologies and crafts to work on maintaining his beautiful visage, and, in time, many of these modifications have become unstable. Cleophus appears most of the time as an Astartes of supreme physical beauty, almost androgynous in seeming, but in truth he is a twisted mass of blasphemous genetech,

and in moments of rage or excitement his true self rushes to the fore, wracking his body with mutations so terrible and deadly that few have ever lived to tell of the true monster under Cleophus' thin veneer of humanity.

A consummate narcissist, Cleophus has somehow learned to transfer his mutation to his fellow Astartes via the shedding of blood - as such, those warbands in his service are nightmarish to behold. Doing so leaves him weakened, however, and he must constantly replace the blood he sheds with the vitae of the innocent. So it is that he campaigns endlessly through the galaxy, transforming idyllic paradise worlds into glorified blood banks, breeding men and women like cattle to enhance their flavour.

I actually intend on doing eight Silver Spears guys that generally stay in realspace, holding major Warp tears from which the rest of the Legion often emerges. This guy is one of them.

bump

That definitely works.

Sounds very Nurgle. I think it works better if she's independent of the ship so that way she can be taken down planet side and ride a palanquin while she raises zombies.

So to answer my own questions, I'm thinking that the Behemoth Guard exercises dominion over the Hellforges of the West. Gengrat himself has Mars for a personal forge.
Whether or not he has the title of Fabricator General doesn't particularly matter, Gengrat really doesn't care much about dogma, afterall, the revelations of the Spirit are perpetual and universal. What he does care about are his tithes of engines, blood, and knowledge.
The major forges are entrusted directly to his captians, but even smaller worlds are generally garrison ed by a chapter equivalent force, with precise disposition dependent upon the locale.

In this way, the hellforges supply the Dark Imperium.
I'll dig up some of the major worlds and briefly discuss changes, but Xana II is definitely a big deal, which probably generates some tension with Balthasar.

Agreed, but she should still be more than just a necromancer, I think. Maybe creator of a new disease, one that Nurgle accepted as one of his own? Just throwing some probably bad ideas out.
Indeed. What would be good limitations to this power? The cost for it? Maybe the first thing to consider is whether or not the ones raised from the dead have any intelligence left or are they just zombies.

so what kind of atrocities does the beast commit against the dark imperium to one up the stuff the books showed us

>Indeed. What would be good limitations to this power? The cost for it? Maybe the first thing to consider is whether or not the ones raised from the dead have any intelligence left or are they just zombies.

After a night's sleep the idea of a high priestess of nurgle really appeals to me.

What if you have to sacrifice X soldiers to nurgle to raise X/2 ghouls, so she's constantly sacrificing enemy captives

What if it requires a great deal of radiation so she needs Dark Mechanocultists to build her badly contained nuclear fusion engines which quickly degrade and need to be replaced

Ghouls are definitely mindless zombies though, I'm imagining the Plague Zombies Typhus has, except on the table they'd have some sort of rule to represent they're irradiated, like reducing the enemy's toughness by 1 when in CC or something.

Good ideas. Especially the fusion engine idea fits the Second Sons, in my opinion. How long would these zombies last? How many could she control at any given time?

>How long would these zombies last?
Eternally if everything goes right and she keeps the sacrifices and radiation flowing, mere seconds if not.
>How many could she control at any given time?
Lots. Whole armies worth, though she would have living soldiers and cultists as well.

Plus zombie tanks.

>Plus zombie tanks
>Zombie tanks
>Zombie
>Tanks
>mfw I read this
It makes little to no sense, but for some reason, I still want to see it happen.