/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

>New Sage Advice - Rules Answers: September 2016
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Last Session:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What, no question to start the thread?

Here we go: do you like your fey scary, extra scary, or eldritch-horror-scary?

How does a tomelock compare to other casters? Can you get more utility out of an imp familiar than a book of shadows for the first 10 levels?

Hey there, anons. Race-building guy back again repeating his inevitable request for criticisms and suggestions as to which race to tackle next.

docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of races I need to get written up:
Pterran
Bladeling
Fey'ri
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Tengu
Spellscale

Criticisms brought up in the last thread:
* Racial feats are near-universally overpowered; need help toning those down.

* Many races are either bland, underpowered or both - need help boosting them up. Finding more "fluffy" racial traits and switching out the boring "free proficiency" skills is definitely on the list.

As an aside, could really use help figuring out where to go with the Spellscale and Yokai races. The former in particular... I wonder... Maybe go for a subrace mechanic based on Draconic Ancestry, and give 'em damage resistance, spell-like abilities and possibly other features based on canon dragons? Because, honestly, the old Blood Quickening mechanic probably wouldn't work in 5e and was kind of bland back then anyway?

Oh, I just realised... I've been focusing mostly on the crunch, but, maybe I should take a step back and try writing up racial fluff instead? Or should I leave that until I have all of the races statted?

Rolled 6 (1d8)

>1) Don't step inside the standing stones up on the mound. Those are the teeth of greedy, sleepy old Grandfather Ogre

>2) That cabin out by the woods, the man who lives there loves dogs. He has a dozen or more, feeds them from his own hands. He's raising the pups of the Great Hound deep in the forest, tree-high. He's not a man at all.

>3) You'll catch her sometimes if she's quiet, loping along with that awkward gait, watching the birds. When she whistles the men follow her and they never look at her mouth. Her legs alone must be twice their height, but they never mention it. If they come back.

>4) Always two of them. Man and woman. Husband and wife maybe, but they always wear the same face too. They love to measure - if you stand still by them they'll measure every part of you, down to the finger-bones. They love smaller things. They'll make things for you if you let them, from the junk they carry, but they always make them too big. They especially love children.

>5) Sometimes you see them flit by at night - bright-winged, butterfly-free. At a distance you can mistake the little ones for fireflies. But when you see the broader glow coming over the curve of the hillside you must remember to look away.

>6) The whole bottom of the river is covered in shells and they rattle when you cross the bridge. Shellycoat loves distracting travelers and getting them lost - down her gullet, if she's hungry.

>7) You find them in churches - abandoned ones - torturing themselves. They've a fascination with the crucifixion. Sometimes they'll come close to a village, inching along on those long fingers and toes, and try to lure out a priest to talk to them.

>8) You have to understand is it's not your wife, your husband. The thing gets into the ground and inside of them, makes them move again. It's not hair - how could hair grow that long? You have to cut it out of the corpse. Get that long strand and follow it back to the beast in the earth.

That's quite the range of scary. I enjoyed it too much.

Tbh, tome lock is a bit hit and miss. You have solid rituals as a tomelock but it's hard to get that ritual book filled up with good rituals unless you get lots of scrolls and wizard books through adventuring. Outside of the bonus cantrips, I would say just go chain if your main interest is the familiar. Plus, an imp familiar with at will invisibility and flying is extremely handy at low levels.

>too much
That's scarier than anything in that post.

Reposting this for the guy who wanted someone to write about a full moon ritual:

>49492710

Oh. I forgot an arrow.

This is probably getting a bit ambitious, but I'm actually starting to wonder if maybe I should consider working on more races. I'm currently contemplating the Centaur and the Girtablilu, maybe the Thriae, but still... anyone out there with greater knowledge of the many bizarre racial options that showed up in editions past? I remember the aranea, lupin, diabolus, rakasta (catfolk) and tortle from Mystara, and dimly recall the bariaur (Planescape), and Spelljammer's Giff, Scro and Xixchil, but what else is out there that 3e never touched up?

So my players are about to delve into a rather large dungeon. I've got the dungeon rooms and encounters mapped out, but scratching my head for treasure to reward them with.
The monsters are mainly slimes and other critters that can survive without food for long amounts of time (the dungeon is an old abandoned temple). Any furniture and such is long since rotten through, food stores ravaged by rats and the passage of time etc.

Do you, as a DM, use any tables to generate treasure in cases such as this, only use pre-placed loot or some other method?

Sometimes I use random generators, as long as they don't come up with ridiculous stuff for their level.

Other times, I place things players might want for their characters (and sometimes even talk to them about what sort of magic items they'd like), but make it a challenge to actually reach said item, through traps and puzzles, or tough encounters.

As far as explaining the loot they get, other adventurers have probably been to this dungeon before, and failed. Also, hidden stuff might be there from the original inhabitants before the slimes moved in.

Is alter self just ANY bipedal with the same basic shape or is it limited to humanoids?
For instance, is something like a bearded devil or a myconid fine?

Can I make a homebrew of Ragnarok Online in this edition?

Hey guys I know that this isn't the right thread, I'm a 5e player, I know very little of 3.5.

A friend of mine asked me to join a 3.5 game with them, I'm thinking in a Wizard but in 3.5 there is something like Arcane Focus or we should have the actual component?

talk to your GM

You have a spell component pouch.

This. Your spell component pouch is essentially hammerspace for any costless spell components you might need. You'll have to specify buying spell components with a higher cost while you're in town- but those are mostly higher-level spells.

Thank you guys.

Has anyone built any baddies using the Death cleric?

I'm trying to make diverse enemy casters, but it's a huge pain in the ass and need more than just Priest, Cult Fanatic, and Mage (which is too powerful for the time being)

I'm kind of at the point where I've seen so much spooky fey stuff that I just want to have the next fey the party encounters to just be genuinely nice and playful with no ulterior motive of eating them or stealing their firstborn whatsoever. I mean I don't think they're ALL supposed to be spooky

Well shit, me and my party happen to run into an abandoned inn and turned it into a makeshift stronghold of sorts. What do you reckon we can do with it? We are thinking of running an adventuring guild hoping to bring in some guys and make money out of it. So far we hired an archeologist Elf wizard and a Dwarf fighter NPCs into our ranks.

Depends on the time. I like fiarytale nymphs, rape nymphs, and murder nymphs in equal measure.

As far as cliche "adventuring guilds" go usually there has to be a near endless source of randomly generated loot nearby, but I suppose an archeologist is a step in the right direction. I suppose the real question is how's the location?

I don't know what setting your running, but in Forgotten Realms true adventurers aren't really common enough to warrant a guild.

If I wanted to make a character similar to pic related should I go Fiendlock or Vengeance Paladin?

Or both, so I can cash in on that smite+warlock slot synergy?

Shit, forgot the pic.

Vengeance Paladin is good, it'll serve your purposes nicely. I've slowly been working on a very Ghost Rider oath, but it's pretty shit.

Warlock slots are separate.

>Warlock slots are separate.
but can still be used to power smites. Devs confirmed it.

Any who knows if the coloring book will be uploaded to the MEGA?

Oh, shit then fiend paladin with oath breaker(For spell list) if your DM will allow. Take Blade pact or Chain pack(for aura synergy).

So I think I'm going to play a noble undying warlock that drank the blood of his vampire countess to become a diplomat of her court. As he levels up, her vampiric influence becomes stronger and corrupts his blood. What pact would be best for this? I was thinking about choosing tome and having his book of shadows be penned in his blood, granting him the additional magic power. Pact of blade also seems appropriate if I use it to summon a rapier.

Does this game let me play as a cat boy or kitsune yet?

You spelled "cat girl" wrong

Pact of the Blade is decent, but pretty much requires taking a level of fighter.

It is very doubtful that anyone will scan a coloring book and put it on the Internet.

Pact of the Blade is decent, but pretty much requires being a dwarf and picking a different class

Anyone here know anything about Adventures in Middle Earth yet?

I had my first session yesterday. Wanderers = Rangers, and the Wanderer is all about not fucking up the Journey phase of the game (they implemented rules for travelling). One of the lines under Known Lands is

"You know at least one place in each Known Land where you can safely take a long rest: a settlement where you have friends, perhaps, or a hidden cabin in the woods or simply a dry and defensible cavern or secret glade"

I take that to mean that while I'm on a Journey through one of my known lands I get to take a long rest there (important in AIME, exhaustion is an important thing). My DM just said NOPE. But I don't think he's really read the rules much...

>they implemented rules for travelling

NOICE. Checkin' it out.

Any 5e homebrew adventure modules that caught your eye, /5eg/?

Saw this one horror-themed one called "Sphere of Sunlight" haven't checked it yet but it looks like some effort got put into it. Additionally, I saw A Most Potent Brew and Horror at Havel's Cross which seem good for my newbie group who want a short burst adventure versus something like Lost Mines.

since in celtic religion fairies and the other creatures are extremely chaotic and deadly i would say extra scary, though not extremely, because half of the danger wasn't really the ill intents of the creatures but just their chaotic behaviours.
Of course christianity gave it a much more evil concept cause they always like to blame the religions they steal from.

I'm looking or some, but not having luck.

You can get adventuring COMPANIES sure, but guilds? Yeah, not really.

It helps that most D&D settings aren't filled with endlessly replicating monsters that re-spawn as soon as your PC leaves the area so the next group of players can get more XP and loot and dungeons once they get cleared out STAY cleared out as long as you stop more shit from wandering in.
In a MMO-type world adventurers are a much more consistent job because ultimately your actions are irrelevant and you can be replaced by any other group of similar adventurers because in effect you're the equivalent of mailmen; the mail never stops coming and thus there's always a need for mailmen.

Make him taller over time. And paler. And blonder. And more obsessed with fashion.
Those creepy fucking Cainhurst guys in Bloodbourne are excellent inspiration for pseudo-undead.

Why wouldn't you expand your "stronghold of sorts" into a "village of sorts"? those are much more profitable.

There's a difference?

had one of my players use Acid Splash on a locked door to get through it.

was this a mistake? I used AC and HP. But did I allow something retarded/potentially abusive?

Nah, the DMG has guidance to help it be consistent.

Acid Splash only targets creatures.

But overall something like that could be accomplished RAW with repeated castings of Firebolt, smashing the door down with a Strength check, using a portable ram or crowbar on it, chopping it open with an axe, smashing it down with a hammer, picking the lock with thieves' tools and a Dex check, etc. Doors can be bypassed by many means, magical and mundane.

Hey anons, I got some useful thread about making a mounted archer type subclass.

Now I'm gathering a list of viable mounts (getting those real exotic creatures too for your RP'ing pleasure). Now I've only been including creatures that are Large.

My question to you is should I also include Medium sized creatures in this list, because the races that are considered small could use them (there are some pretty nifty medium sized mounts like wolf/pony/panther/tiger/mule/mastiff, etc).

Obviously this would make a lot more work for me, but what do y'all think?

I would like a new character idea thats really fun to roleplay, and maybe slightly annoying.

My group never roleplays. Theyre all only in ot for the rolls and numbers. I love roleplay deep in my heart, and i want them to see how much fun im having, and join me, as everything else seems to fall flat in this regard.

what page/chapter exactly, do you mean? So I can find it when I get home from work.

Absolutely. Dog-riding halflings with slings are a staple of D&D.

One of my players asked me if she could try it herself. At the moment i found it extremely clever and allowed it, idon't know if i will allow it anymore, but who knows. At the end of the day roll whatever you feel like.

well user, i'd say that it's less about the character idea/premise and more about your ability to improvise and actively RP that is gonna make a difference. Perhaps approach your DM and ask him for more opportunities to engage in RP - social interactions, group decision making, etc.

Also I've found that it's vastly easier to RP characters that have flaws so dump your stats accordingly so that it fits. Maybe pick up some of the less "traditional" skill proficiencies so that your character can shine at situations beyond combat.

Welp then, guess I'll have to expand my mount list. Appreciate the input!

Any door that can be bested by Acid Splash wouldn't be much of an obstacle even without the spell.
Also, be weary of using it on locked containers as it may have an adverse effects on its contents.

How would you justify that limitation in- setting?

Sorry for the late response! I am here now.
There's a rule that Large creatures in 5e can wield large sized weapons and large weapons have doubled damage dice. Ridiculous. What do you? Here's my suggestion.
+2 strength, +1 con
Large sized
-disadvantage when using normal sized weapons, cannot use normal armor
-large sized equipment must be custom made, so buying a Large weapon costs 100x more gold, a suit of armor costs 10x more gold
With multipliers on the costs of equipment like this, the Large player will have generally lower AC than the others martials, and he'll be wielding things like a Large Greatclub (2d8) for most of the game instead of a Large Greatsword (4d6). He'll still be dealing more damage, but the difference won't be all that significant. One of the players in a game I'm currently in shoots enemies with a shotgun for 2d8 a hit and it's fine, not really a big deal.
By the time the Large player starts saving up enough gold to start getting higher end large weaponry, the other martials should already be decked out in magic equipment.

Also, they don't have any racial abilities outside of that because being Large already grants a lot of bonuses, like doubling carrying capacity and lifting weight and improving grapple potential.

I don't think money is a particularly well suited to be a balance tool in 5e considering you can't normally buy magic items anymore

Fuck off I hate you.
Players should be able to do that too.

>Aarakocra

I can't wait to find out the new and exiting way some fag thinks he can beat every single encounter risk free by flying. Thank god they only live like 30 years

"At least one size larger than you" should cover it and allow you, with other limitations, to leave the mount up to the imagination of the player. Unless you're writing up special rules for each mount...

>I don't think money is a particularly well suited to be a balance tool in 5e

Definitely not. Especially considering we're talking thousands of gp here, which most adventurers won't see in months of adventuring.

(you)

>Hi, this is my character. He's a Winged Tiefling!
>What do you mean Winged Tiefling isn't allowed? It's in SCAG! It's official!

What the fuck was WotC thinking, do they not know 50% of tabletop players are mentally 13 years old?

Here is what I suggested and allowed for a player in my group who wanted to recreate a half-ogre-esque character.
+2 Strength, +2 Con, Max for Str and Con is points higher than normal.
You have large size, advantage on strength checks and saving throws, your weapons deal +1d4 extra damage.

Is 4 points higher than normal.

And the drawback?

Races don't have Drawbacks in 5e.

That shitty half-ogre race is stronger than any other race though. Something's got to give.

Usually it's only 3 total, but there are exceptions like one of the dwarf subraces and half elves.
I think basing it more on the enlarge person spell like he did with the +1d4 instead of the large size weapon dice is probably the most balanced compromise you'll get, though if you ask me having giants as a player race would just be a mistake in general

Why are Eldritch Knights considered mediocre?

And with stronger I actually mean better, not literally higher STR (which it also has).

Just use the stats from the Goliath and refluff some things as needed. Giving Large size and ridiculous stat boosts to a PC race is a grave mistake.

Compare it to a Mountain Dwarf.
You get advantage on strength checks and saving throws, and you deal 1d4 extra damage and have a slightly higher threat radius due to reach.

You lose weapon proficiencies, armour proficiencies, tools skill proficiencies, stonecunning, poison resistance and darkvision.

Half giants are simple

>+2 strength
Large sized - Roll twice as many damage dice when attacking with a weapon, unarmed strike, or improvised weapon suited for your size.
Hurler - You can throw objects the size of boulders or halflings. You are proficient in throwing these objects, they are improvised weapons that deal 2d4 damage (this includes the bonus damage from being large sized).

The schools of magic they have access to just make them more blasty, which a fighter already is. If they had access to transmutation, for example, they'd be a lot more fun.

I'm currently working on one, it's an Adventurers Guide with notable one/two-session dungeons, pertinent random encounters/notable road events, that sorta deal. High adventure, Always-Evil enemies, and a bit of Lovecraftian background. My players so far have loved it, and I've been fine-tuning the dungeons across multuple campaigns, so I know they work fairly well. Still getting details typed out though, currently on the Dragonborn of the setting.

Because your spells are kind of shit, you get evocation which is mostly damage spells but because you get them late, they are trash. By the time you can cast level two spells, 3d8 damage is absolutely nothing to enemies of that CR, even the mighty 8d6 fireball is fuck all at level 11. Unless you go MAD and max out your int your saves will be pretty weak too.

The biggest draw to the class is being able to cantrip and melee, which honestly is great because usually casting a cantrip is roughly equal to an attack from a decent weapon. Until you hit level 11 when suddenly you're not trading an attack for cantrip, you're trading two attacks, yes your cantrip is gets slightly stronger, but it now costs you twice as much.

Every time you cast a spell, you're wasting the martial output of a fighter. Whenever you spend a turn fighting, why the fuck aren't you just a battlemaster or champion? If Eldrich knight got their own spells like Paladin did then they would be great, having access to some elemental/arcane based "Smite" spells that cast as bonus actions would be great, or spells that otherwise don't interrupt your combat pace, but instead they are fighters with a diabetic wizard stapled on his shoulders, an autistic younger brother that you have to take care of for mothers sake.

Herp, meant to say to you folks.

What would you give them to make them better?

I'm a new dm, i really can't figure out how to create a dungeon.

Best eldrich knight build.

Go Cleric, take Domain Arcane, take Booming-Blade or Greenflame blade as your cantrip, done.

Alternatively, go Valor Bard and be a knightly son of a bitch, use arcane secrets to obtain whatever spells you want to fit your theme better.

There's a reason they didn't make the Goliath Large size even though it should have been were it a NPC. Size changes a LOT of things and gives a lot of bonuses that are not readily apparent.
For example, pretty much every spell and effect dealing with extreme wind has exemptions for Large+ creatures.
Giving a race higher than normal stat boosts at lv1, fucking with bounded accuracy by increasing their max STR (CON is less important in the face of balance), giving them an extra 1d4 damage on every-single-hit ON TOP of the extra die that the Large size weapons they may wield is ridiculous.
You also have to realize that Large is not to Medium as Medium is to Small. Large takes up four times as much space as Medium, making it further unsuited for player characters.

>m-muh weapon/armor/tool proficiencies
Classes and backgrounds are more than enough to give whatever proficiencies you want. I concede that not having a skill proficiency from your race is a bummer, but neither does the Mountain Dwarf.

Aren't there literally random rules for it in the DMG? Use the donjon site too.

that's even stronger than the one I suggested what the fuck
>advantage on strength checks and saving throws
> Max for Str and Con is 4 points higher than normal.
are you a madman what is this

1/3 spell progression is really really bad

Themeatically, a dungeon is just a series of rooms and chambers but you need to consider a lot to make it more interesting than just Room A, Room B, Room C, ect.

Why was the dungeon built, and who by. How decrepid is it, are the rooms still in service and who by. If the original "owners" of this dungeon aren't around, who have moved in? A random tribe of kobolds? A warband of orcs who patrol the halls? Wild monsters and vermin? Has a blue dragon burrowed through walls at his leisure and made it into his new lair. Is it still infested by the magical constructs from the long-dead wizards?

Is the dungeon brazenly obvious, or is the entrance itself hidden in the wilderness, or even by magic illusions itself. You tell us what kind of idea you had and we'll throw some ideas at you.

What enemies do you want the players to fight, what is the end-goal/boss/chamber in the dungeon, what kind of environment is the dungeon in?

Make their spells the type that alter the battleground or cause illusions, ie the spells that do things fighters can't already do in their own. Their spells should be a sacrifice of power for versatility, not power for elemental power.

Different person here.

For starters, I would make it so that they trade 1 attack for a cantrip instead of getting a bonus action attack when they use their action for a cantrip. Greenflame Blade went a long way towards making the class that much better.

Being MAD is okay because the fighter gets double the stat boosts.

I think it's fine otherwise.

Looking over it again, I think it's fine.

Oathbreaker Paladin, Fiend bladelock, and grab the spell Find Vehicle from the UA Modern Magic.

The +1d4 extra damage is in leiu of extra die from large weapons. The "Largeness" of the class is built and balanced off the "Enlarge person" spell.

It's still too much.

Look at how the Goliath is set up, that is how a Large size creature made PC looks.

>The dungeon Master may permit the following variants
>MAY
"That is also in the SCAG. It's Official"

The goliath is a fucking copout that people obviously aren't satisfied with or this discussion wouldn't be happening at all.

Because most campaigns don't make it past 10th level, and because most people are too focused on Evocation to realize that Abjuration is full of spells that are amazing for martials.

I feel like there's an impassable problem here where people want a creature race that feels better than the others without actually being mechanically superior, but that probably can't happen. You either have to give up the balance or the appeal of being a huge dude.