YuGiOh New player

Recently started playing YuGiOh with a friend of mine (we play magic quite a lot and thought we'd give YuGiOh a try),
and there are a handful of concepts in this game I just don't understand and I would really appreciate it if someone could talk me through some of my issues.

So in the game we played My friend managed to summon a Red Eyes Black Dragon and I had no monsters on the field, how do I stop him from attacking me ?
Every monster I had I had to put into Defense position just to not lose the whole game, then that monster would die and I could never get to a position where I could tribute summon for a stronger monster, this mechanic seemed broken to me.

In a situation like this, where one player has a really strong tribute summoned monster, is the only way to deal with that Spell and Trap cards ?

Second of all, can you tribute summon 2 monsters as soon as the second monster has been summoned ?
So for example:
>1 card is already in play, summon another 4-star monster, tribute them both, get out a 7-star monster then attack ?

And one last thing.
quick Spell cards, whats the deal here?
Can I play them in my opponents turn even if they are not set (i.e, instants in MTG)
or are quick spells just effectively trap cards that can be activated during your opponents turn.
If that is the case, why not just have them as trap cards, makes the quick spell system seem pointless.

Any help here would be fantastic, I would just rather talk to someone about this than spend hours looking on obscure forums for similar questions that might not even exist.

Other urls found in this thread:

yugioh-card.com/en/rulebook/
yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Missing_the_timing
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29705390
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>So in the game we played My friend managed to summon a Red Eyes Black Dragon and I had no monsters on the field, how do I stop him from attacking me ?
It's good to have a Trap card set, like Magic Cylinder for example, that can stop the attack, reverse the attack back at the opponent, activate an effect, etc. There are also quick play (I think that's the name) Magic/Spell card which can be activated under certain conditions. Sometimes Magic/Spell cards, like Swords of Revealing Light, can stop your opponent from attacking you directly for 3 turns. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but once you play some more and get used to the rules and see certain situations play out, you'll get used to it. Even though your opponent may be biding their time for an attack, you can start preparing your side with monsters and a strategy. Effect Monsters are really good for this situation, allowing you to take advantage of their effects even if they get destroyed.

I haven't played Yugioh for many years, like since Ancient Sanctuary t was a new booster pack. There are a lot of new card types and rules that have changed the meta game completely. I'd suggest just getting familiar with the basics first though, like Normal, Effect, Fusion, Ritual monsters, then Trap, Spell/Magic cards, and what you can do on what phases of a person's turn (Main Phase 1, Battle Phase, Main Phase 2, etc.). Good luck and have fun!

Oh and to add to that, my strategy suggestions may be different from others on here since I like to play with 'mill decks' (having the opponent run out of cards), which isn't necessarily a valid strategy I'm guessing in the meta game nowadays. It worked pretty well in the past though (most times).

>If that is the case, why not just have them as trap cards, makes the quick spell system seem pointless.
I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they allow for you to play from your hand versus using valuable space on the field, like Mystical Space Typhoon. Of course then you lose valuable space in your hand, but it really depends on the strategy of your deck and the situation.

(OP)
>In a situation like this, where one player has a really strong tribute summoned monster, is the only way to deal with that Spell and Trap cards ?
Spells, Traps, or just special summon a stronger monster. In competitive Yugioh, the answer to a single Red Eyes Black Dragon would be to special summon 10 times in one turn and end up with a field full of monsters all strong enough to kill that red eyes and that all have actually good effects on top of that.

>Second of all, can you tribute summon 2 monsters as soon as the second monster has been summoned ?

No, a tribute summon is a normal summon, and you can only normal summon once per turn. Special summon more is the answer to this problem, has been since nearly the beginning of Yugioh.

>Quick Spell cards, whats the deal here?

You can play a Quick-play Spell from your hand on your own turn, even during your battle phase or your draw or standby phase. After you set a Quick-play Spell, it suffers from the trap spell limitation of not being able to activate it the turn you set it. Also, you cannot activate Quick-play Spells from your hand on your opponent's turn, you still have to set it to do that.

>I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that they allow for you to play from your hand versus using valuable space on the field, like Mystical Space Typhoon.

You do still have to put the Quick-play Spell in one of your Spell/Trap Zones to activate them. Same with normal spells, if all of your Spell and Trap Zones are full, you can't activate any Spells from your hand until you make some room somehow.

>You do still have to put the Quick-play Spell in one of your Spell/Trap Zones to activate them. Same with normal spells, if all of your Spell and Trap Zones are full, you can't activate any Spells from your hand until you make some room somehow.
Oh right, duh, thanks for that correction. I'm trying to get back into Yugioh and I'm really rusty as you can see. I'm gonna monitor this thread and help when able to.

Yeah, I haven't played in a long time, but I still follow the game a bit, I know what decks are played competitively and what most of the hot new cards are.

Thanks for the advice guys, really helps!

Summon sattella knight x, it allows you to special summon satella knight y from your graveyard. Satella knight y now lets you pull another satella knight x from your deck. Now you overlay your x and your y and summon shark knight which can steal your opponents red eyes black dragon and use it as a hostage. When your opponent then uses dark hole your shark knight still survives because it sacrifices its hostage, yugioh is dark like that.

I stopped playing a while ago. last time I checked lightsworns were wrecking everybody's shit.
how fucked are lightsworn decks today?

Just going to give you a link to the rulebook because it's guaranteed that you'll have more questions later

yugioh-card.com/en/rulebook/

Lightsworns are shit now. No stopping the powercreep train, gramps

I remember going to nationals with frogs. Got close to top, but that's what I get for using gambling cards, damn you Za Warudo! Frogs still competitive nowadays or...?

Kinda. Frogs always seem to be veering tween cancer and humour. They've gotten a rank 2 Xyz, Treatoad, that has crazy effects. Shit, every deck that can is running Bahumat Shark so they cheese it out. It is actually that good.

lmao $3000

konami a shit

the game was shit when it was first made and it's been shit the entire time

fun? yeah, kinda, but still shit

I looked this up and apparently it is a reward for winning a tournament or the championship? Is it a valuable card in terms of facing the current meta game?

It's a genuinely good card but it's two years outdated and it isn't enough on its own to make Lightsworn a dominant deck, just a minor competitor

*one year

get out while you still can. This game will drain you, physically and emotionally. You can never safely build a deck because the next ban list that turns your $5000 deck into a $100 pile of steaming garbage could be literally any day,

Don't sink any money into this game. If you have, cash out as quickly as you can. Put it towards a game with a future instead if you want to keep gaming - either an LCG, a minifig game, or just some TTRPG books.

Yugioh is dying, and it's not the only CCG that is.

Don't do this if you enjoy it.

Just buy enough cards for a deck or two and play casually. It's fun.

Don't play the physical game. It's a massive waste of time, money, and energy.

If you're going to play, play via LackeyCCG or one of the dedicated YGO online cardgame programs.

The game has evolved into a money-printing machine for Konami and the meta only gets more fucked up with every release and ban-update.

Any charm the game had displayed during the time of the original YGO anime is long since lost in the TCG's current state. Likewise, it's communities tend to be pretty awful. (There's a reason why you hear about break-ins and robberies related to YGO cards)

Good thing no deck costs anywhere close to $1000 anymore. The best decks are only $200 at most. Hell you can make a meta deck with only 3 structures these days.

>The game has evolved into a money-printing machine for Konami
That's literally all it ever was

>Yugioh is dying

Slaydra pls get out

Since you mentioned Red Eyes Black Dragon I'm assuming you're playing yugioh casually.

>So in the game we played My friend managed to summon a Red Eyes Black Dragon and I had no monsters on the field, how do I stop him from attacking me ?

Your solution to this is monster removal in the form of a spell/trap or monster effect. Man eater bug, ryko (the lightsworn dog), fissure, most trap holes (regular, bottomless, chasm of spikes, etc) can destroy red eyes before he becomes a bigger problem.
The second solution is finding monster that can't be destroyed by battle like Krebons.

Also tributing 2 monsters for one is a really bad idea even in the most casual setting. Since you're familiar with Magic try to think of it as summoning a CMC creature of 8 that is 2/2 in terms of stats with no worthwhile ability. Even at the start of the game cards like summoning skull were the de-facto one tribute monster.
>But it looks cool
Then try using cards that act as 2 tributes for the tribute summon of a dark monster or way of special summoning the materials so you don't waste too many resources (Or even using the opponent's monsters as tributes, ie soul exchange, monarchs stormforth, etc).

>Second of all, can you tribute summon 2 monsters as soon as the second monster has been summoned ?
Only one normal summon is allowed per turn, a tribute summon counts as a normal summon.

>quick Spell cards, whats the deal here?

Versatility, the game is very quick and the fact that trap cards can't be used the turn they are set means a lot of them (even if their effects seem broken) won't be usable the moment you need them. Quick-play have the best of both worlds if there is a time window when you can use them in your turn you can drop them from your hand or set them in main phase 2 in case you might need them in your opponent's turn.

I honestly want to make sure that you aren't playing with the anime rules, and that you know the starting life total is 8000. Don't be afraid to use your life points as a resource.

>you get 1 normal summon a turn or set a monster in defense
>a tribute summon/set is a type of normal summon/set
>gemini monsters require tributes to normal summon if the are over level 5
>quick Spell cards can be used on your opponents turn
>they aren't traps because you have to set a trap, quick plays can be used like a spell, and can even be used straight out of the hand during your own turn.

and just because I know you have no idea
>once per turn is only on your own turn, unles it says during either players turn or could only be used on your opponents turn do to the effect requiring them to attack for example.
>destroy is not the same as negate (mystical space typhoon doesn't stop an effect)
>if you are losing a card and can chain an effect do it, last effect activated is the first to resolve.
>yes XYZ, synchro and pendulum monsters are a thing yes they are powerful, no the aren't inherently broken or that powerful the can be defeated.
>synchro material are just sent to the graveyard not tributed
>becoming xyz material/Detaching doesn't count as being destroyed or leaving the field.
>if a pendulum monster on the field no matter the zone is destroyed, tributed used as a fusion or synchro material, it goes face up on the extra deck
>if its detached from an xyz monster or sent from the hand for tribute or material it goes to the graveyard.
>the also go to the graveyard if when they get played they got negated and destroyed
>pendulum scales are everything in between the numbers (scale 1 to 8 cand pendulum summon anything with level 2 through 7 from the hand or face up in the extra deck)
>a pendulum summon even if its 5 monsters is a single summon so if you negate that summon all the pendulum monsters summoned get negated

Also I forgot have fun with the game, and don't take it too seriously, its can be fun to play competitive, but yugioh is a casual play first game

If vs When

Effects with if in the wording will always work.
>If this card is added from your Deck to your hand by a card effect: You can Special Summon this card.

Effects with when in their wording can be interrupted by card effects.
>When this card is sent to your Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon 1 "Peten the Dark Clown" from your hand or Deck.
In this example, if Peten is sent to the Graveyard by a card that destroys/sends/discards and THEN DOES SOMETHING ELSE, Peten can't activate its effect because the last action wasn't "when this card is sent to your graveyard". An example of a card that can interrupt optional effects is Soul Taker.

>Send 1 monster on the field to the Graveyard and its owner gains 1000 LP.
The monster is sent and then the player gains LP immediately after, with no chance for the player to activate the optional effect.

Full details: yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Missing_the_timing

IN the anime you didn't need tributes, did you?

I've been gone for like two years and holy shit what happened. I'm in actual stunned disbelief at how ridiculously cheap Burning Abyss are considering they're still good apparently. Am I in fucking pandemonium?

Reprints and a new rarity system.
Now if they stopped rarity bumping cards yugioh could be a very cheap game.

Konami actually tries to make good cards accessible to new players, unlike WOTC.
That said, I prefer Magic's mechanics to yugioh's.

Timing is honestly cancer, along with sending/getting destroyed/destroyed in battle/... makes the game more difficult than it needs to be. Just look at hearthstone, very easy game. Hearthstone's problem is that it is shallow, but yugioh never had that problem because of searching and much more intricate combos, certainly not because of a bloated and overly complicated ruleset.

I don't know about the original duel monsters series, but Arc V follows the rules pretty well.

They didn't at first, battle city was where needing to tribute to normal summon high level monsters was introduced.

While YGO may suffer from power creep they do at least work at keeping some of the more iconic, older cards viable. Blue Eyes, Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl have all recently had support printed for them.

Maiden is old and busted, there are much better "with Eyes of Blue" monsters these days.

Also, mentioning Blue-Eyes will trigger rage. Cause holy fuck, they are nearly as bad as Kozmo.
The Dark Magician cards are pretty good, and people won't leave the game feeling slightly angry after watching you cheese out several 3k beaters, at least 1 powerful synchro and maybe a R8nk Xyz as well.

I'm looking forward to trying something with the new Magician Girls. Anyone have lists?

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29705390

The problem is the 2 of you are clearly playing old yugioh, which is far more frustrating and broken than modern yugioh. Try and pick up a couple of newer decks and then start playing with eachover.

Incorrect.
Old Yugioh was frustrating and broken. Modern Yugioh is frustrating and broken in different ways.
Yugioh has ALWAYS been frustrating and broken, and not always in the same ways. It is currently in a state of frustrating and broken that you, personally, find less frustrating and broken than previous iterations, but it is still frustrating and broken nonetheless.