Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

No kitsune allowed

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq

Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Bloodforge: Infusions playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit

Legendary Vigilantes playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit

DSP's Forrest started a patreon for her own 3pp company: patreon.com/forrestfirestudios

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1iZe8cYfjLn1fvVEoWvSVIDMlOm9ldNAJ32dz1hhhdRA/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/1ys9ZDJXvCqVJylDY7-fLJdqkCwLRCr3dJ6fk96EOwd0/edit
rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/bench-pressing-character-creation-by-the-numbers/
pastebin.com/Fye2gddN
docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit#bookmark=id.23drnpxmfgf7
youtube.com/watch?v=MkqSNS9va5k
docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hello, i may play in a one shot, i've only DMed 5e, that si the extent of my experience with tabletop gaming.
Is there anything similar to an EK or in generally which are the best classes that aren't just magic casters? Thanks.

>I had to look, before it didn't but now it does. It's still being written, but once it's finished it'll be added to the doc.

Gotta stay on top of the finest memes, you know. I can only assume that this archetype is probably going to end up like Dragon Champion and get shuffled off into another book?
Granted, Kitsune /ARE/ villains by nature, and anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

EK? Eldritch Knight? It's a prestige class in PF, I don't know about 5e.

I think you might want to look into playing a Magus-they're swordsman types who can put spells on their blades and stab people with them.

Reposting both my spontaneous warpriest and my Pow:E Archetype combo docs

>Spontaneous Warpriest that gets oracle curse and revelations
docs.google.com/document/d/1iZe8cYfjLn1fvVEoWvSVIDMlOm9ldNAJ32dz1hhhdRA/edit

>Path of War:Expanded archetypes that are compatible with paizo archetypes
docs.google.com/document/d/1ys9ZDJXvCqVJylDY7-fLJdqkCwLRCr3dJ6fk96EOwd0/edit

OOOOOOOOOOOOH, THAT I LIKE!
Thanks I'm porbably going to choose that.
I usually would go for a Viking individual 5e fighter, but since in PF there are Gunslingers it feels way too out of time to do such a characters that's why i went for something like a EK. Thanks

Magus is a similar fighter-wizard hybrid that is actually pretty good at hitting things with sticks AND spells at the same time. Alternatively, you can get fancier and build an actual multiclass fighter/wizard/eldritch-knight/there-are-no-good-gish-prestige-classes-in-pathfinder, but that's up to you. If you do go into magus, some interesting archetypes (which are kind of like archetypes in 5e, except they're option and both add and remove stuff) are Hexcrafter, Bladebond, Kensai, and Edritch Archer if you want to play a ranged magus.

Zenko kitsune are pure. PURE! They have the [good] subtype, just like any archon or angel!

They're the only base PC race that has the [good] subtype, so they're literally the holiest and goodest and most benevolent PC race, period.

thanksthanks for the help

How would you stat PC selkies in Pathfinder?

>Try again!
Is there a good way to pull off a Ranger - Trapper Archetypes?

Traps by themselves don't look the best but I'm hoping there is some feat or class feature you can pair it with. Suggestions?

>d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trapper

Well, there's an OP I can respect.

Tell me about prestige classes, /pfg/. What's your favorite? Are there any you wish were better than they are?

user, Erinyes started out as angels, who also had the Good subtype, and look at where they ended up.

what about antipaladins? is it a class locked an evil allignment? I really like the idea of an antipaladin

>It's a "Party starts at level 1" campaign

Landsknecht is hands down my favorite prestige class, it makes one handed swordsmen viable!

How holy and pure is an angel-blooded aasimar zenko kitsune paladin?

Wait a minute, once they go aasimar, they lose the [good] subtype. That makes no sense. Why does mating with celestials make them less [good]?

Do zenko kitsune have to be pure maidens and boymaidens to be [good]?

Landsknecht is hands down my favorite prestige class, it makes one handed swordsmen viable!

Zenko kitsune have fluffy tails to maintain purity, angels don't.

Played a Pathfinder Chronicler a few months ago, it was pretty good. Gotta love being able to retroactively buy shit.

Yes. Normally, they're locked into Chaotic Evil, and the Tyrant archetype lets them be Lawful Evil, but at the end of the day, they have to be Evil.

I despise level 1 and everything it stands for now.

Especially for PbP campaigns, fuck level 1 PbP campaigns, I don't want to spend 3 months getting to level 2.

Are there any numbers for practical evaluating your character's mechanical abilities? Like decent saves\ac, decent damage for someone who wants to fill "damage dealer" role and such.
Not "maximum possible". Just something similar to "ECL*5 not-nova damage for the character, who wants to 'deal damage' ".

If there are no such things, then, maybe, you can give me some guidance, Veeky Forums? At least on "damage per round per level", "good saves per level" and "ac per level (while it is relevant)". Up to level 10 would be enough.

>party starts at level 1
>1pp only
>gunslingers and kineticists are allowed but with a bunch of homebrew nerfs
>unchained anything isn't allowed
>barbarians retroactively banned when you do more damage than the weapon finesse TWF fighter because their damage is too OP

>be Zenko Kitsune
>evil alignment
>still ping as good because good subtype

Is this too sneaky a ruse?

You forgot 20 PB.

Entitled babbies detected.

Heroes should start at their roots, level 1.

Pathfinder and APs were designed around 15 point buy, not 20.

Literally just ask for homebrew. Trap Rangers would be both fun and useful if you just get the DM to let you prepare X amount of traps ahead of time and toss it within 15ft as a standard action, with no -5 DC penalty unless a creature is in that square and no 10th level requirement.

Anything else you do is an exorbitant cost for barely anything of value, to the degree where just pretending you didn't have the feature and swinging a weapon like a martial ape is always more useful than using a trap in combat.

You'd ping as both Good and Evil, just like anything with a subtype that doesn't match their true alignment. It also means you get fucked-over no matter which kind of item you use, holy or unholy.

Yep

That doesn't even make sense, they all want to roll 4d6 drop 1, which is 18 point buy on average.

No, that's the only use for angelskin clothes anyway. Although rememeber you'll also ping a Detect Evil spell as well as a Detect Good spell, like Hellboy, but for the opposite reasons.

>using Monte Crook to justify anything

Throwing reptoid into this archetype is muddying the waters, it's just straight kitsune now, which lets me play with their features more.

A separate skin walker archetype is still planned.

>Monte Cook
>Aka the guy who intentionally put in bad options to trick new players

I love kitsune!

damn, well i mean i guess, but i don't like to play evil characters, unless the whole party is just a bunch of evil characters. Thanks

Archetype for what, Jolly?

What about the antipaladin appeals to you? If it's being a "dark knight" and inflicting fear on the enemy, Vigilante may be a class worth checking out. It's very versatile for other concepts as well - probably the best-made martial class among first-party content.

Vigilante, right now my time's split between LV: Vigilantes and KOP 4 (which is probably going to get a short playtest), followed by Legendary Kineticists 2 which is also going to get a playtest.

rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/bench-pressing-character-creation-by-the-numbers/

If you don't want to read the entire thing, the first two links in the text are basically what you're looking for.

>"this campaign will be low magic"
>and then GM throws incorporeal enemies at us
F-U-N

And yet he's right.

Ok, this is the last time I'll be posting this probably. There is pretty much no further room to push this.

I think everything is right.

pastebin.com/Fye2gddN

For reference some stats:
AC: 57 (59 against first three)
HP: 651
Fort: +43 (48) (7 lower against non Su, SLA, Spell)
Ref: +36 (41) (7 lower against non Su, SLA, Spell)
Will: +43 (48) (7 lower against non Su, SLA, Spell) (9 lower against mind effecting)
Bunch of immunities
CMD: 74

I'm not sure how much farther it can really be pushed.

That should be again non-mind affecting

What do you mean by that?

They should just count as higher CR.

You'd generally have a miserable time playing Antipaladin if your game isn't an evil party fighting a lot of good enemies

I just like the iudea of contrasting Paladins, with whom i have a love/hate relationship.
That's it aside from the fact that a Dark Knight is always cool.
Anyway if there's a vigilante class i may check it, but i'm porbably gonna try the magnus.

yeh I was thinking that, as i said, i won't try it out.

Well, it's a small archetype, I might expand on it later, but here it is, the faceless shifter kitsune racial archetype.

docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit#bookmark=id.23drnpxmfgf7

Can there be a separate kitsune general from the Pathfinder general please?

While I can't disagree, starting at level 1 is still dumb, unless you have a VERY interesting story to go along with it. Just start at level 3/4 when your classes are mechanically interesting, and then go up those levels

Why do you want to kill /pfg/?

>Actual worth, value, or content provided by kitsuneposters

>kitsune vigilante archetype tied to magical tails, like that one user kept posting pastebins for
>it uses the shitty version, 1pp version of magical tail
>doesn't trade out the appearance class features or the capstone for anything
>it also eats the 1st level social talent to give caster vigilantes the middle finger

Is this a test. Are you testing us right now?

>Actual worth, value, or content provided by pathfinder.

I know that art.

what the fuck

More than kitsune.

You get where I'm coming from now?

Originally it did, like I said, it's still something in refinement, but since I know the 1pp tails aren't great, that's why I threw on the ability to take additional forms.

Really, with all the archetypes people want this to stack with, there's no way I can make everyone happy.

If I move anything to 3rd level social talent, it can't take inquisitive detective.

If I replace unshakable (which was originally planned), it can't stack with warlock.

If it trades out the capstone, it loses out on a TON of stackable archetypes.

It should be obvious that this is meant as a stacking archetype, not a standalone, and if I made it replaces those things, it wouldn't be able to stack with nearly as much. In its current form it can stack with a LOT of stuff.

So I suppose the question is does pfg want a stackable archetype, or one that goes whole hog on things?

>>doesn't trade out the appearance class features or the capstone for anything
>GIVE ME THINGS FOR FREEEEE

Cant you do something like the DSP class template, but for archetypes instead of classes ?

Fuck em.

Just make a social talent that lets you change identities when you change your shape and call it good.

Thanks

This. HEY JOLLY, forrest wrote some rules for ACFs, they're ogl now, steal his wording and make some lightweight alternate class features!

>a character who has been played for about 30 hours is more memorable than a character just out of character creation and who has been played for 0 hours.

Go fuck yourself Monte, that's a retarded comparison.

As amused as I was to see where you took the archetype, it just doesn't feel like it DOES anything. Everything it does could be accomplished by just making social talents tied to race. Small, stackable archetypes are cool, but this is TOO small and steps on too many toes.

>GIVE ME THINGS FOR FREEEEE
>wanting to have an archetype that doesn't actually do anything
>not wanting an archetype to actually be transformative and interesting in the areas that it COULD be transformative and interesting, instead of treading on other archetypes.

I'm not sure how those work (I haven't checked them out.)

I might end up doing that, but I kind of like this for the moment.

I'll check them out once I get the chance.

This please.

Mishiro-san to Yamato-kun.

It's a horrendously cute mango about shark-toothed girl there and her almost-a-boyfriend.

Why the fuck would you need specific wording for ACFs, they're just archetypes that replace only one thing.

Unrelated, but here you go: youtube.com/watch?v=MkqSNS9va5k

That's fair, the things here feel more like modified social talents, so I'll probably go around and do that.

This is why feedback is good, since I wanted something smaller here. Perhaps I'll make something more involved for skinwalker.

I'm taking it off of the doc for the moment, but I'm going to keep it in the junk doc I have, use it for ideas for social talents and such.

So there was a way to kill him before. How do you kill him now?

>almost-a
user, have you not been keeping up?

As noted last night, Jolly's work has been added to the Malefex playtest here: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm also going to try and tinker with Make Do to make the initial ability better since it turns out the original secondary effect for it is redundant in Pathfinder. Suggestions on that score are appreciated, otherwise I'll flail at it once I'm more awake.

Expect more material Soon(tm).

So they can be applused after all archetypes are, swapping from only the final result and being compatible with things that alter abilities?

... Except then the thing that'd be swapped out no longer necessarily exists, or is considered a fair trade?

Y'know, the issue with archetype stacking anyway?

So what does everyone think of the Pathfinder Tales novels? I've heard mixed reviews but I'm interested in King of Chaos for lore reasons, but I'm having trouble finding a good torrent or justifying the purchase...

Seems kind of awkward to be honest. It feels like it might just be easier to introduce a new Racial Trait or two for Kitsune that let them do things - "When choosing Social Talents you may choose to take Magical Tail instead and gain a +1 bonus on Disguise checks." Or something like that.

Hell, maybe a single Racial Feat if it's that big of a deal.

So now Jolly's a DSP writer now?

>Jolly/Forrest team up when?

I think a social talent that did the same thing as the identity thing for change shapers could work. Like I said, I'm holding onto the archetype to salvage it since I still like the concept, even if it doesn't need to be a full archetype. That and more social talents are almost always good.

I know what you're referring to, but I didn't want to spoil anything

He's not necessarily adopted yet but he ain't /not/ either. I've been finding him fun & pleasant to work with, but he's also a gentleman who's worked for many companies and may wanna keep doing that.

TL;DR Jolly/Forrest teamup when they feel like it, hold your britches

The current list of publishers for whom I've worked

Published
>Purple Duck Games
>Legendary Games
>Wayward Rogue
>Storm Bunny Studios
>Flaming Crab Games

Unpublished
>Misfits Studios
>Avalon
>Everyman Games
>Playground Games
>DSP
>LPJ

Honestly when the DSP crew talks about their stuff, I always feel so mercenary. I go to who pays me, that's how I write. I mean I do have publishers who I like more or less, but I doubt I'd ever be a 'one publisher' writer.

Is LPJ that really shitty guy? Well, I guess you probably shouldn't answer that, but someone else can.

Maybe you should also have a list of publishers who you have discussed working with on future projects (such as DDS)?

Oh, nice. I've been shipping Jolly x Gareth for months now. Hopefully you two team up soon.

>Jolly couldn't help but shake his head in displeasure as he read the words on the monitor. "Why am I even bothering listening to these toolbags?" he muttered out loud as he quickly scrolled through the feedback he was getting from the morons on Veeky Forums. Sighing again he alt-tabbed back to his Google-drive page to continue editing.

>Without taking his eyes off the screen or halting his finger's movements across the keyboard, he leaned his head down and wrapped his lips around the straw sticking out of his Big Gulp. His Adam's apple moved slightly as he began sucking the liquid down his throat parched throat.

>He stopped as he heard the door behind him creek opened, and then swiveled his chair around. There in the door frame stood Gareth, a silk bathrobe dangled across his body. His hair, still wet from the shower, caused rivulets of water to slowly wind down his body. As he followed the course of those water drops, Jolly's gaze couldn't help but lock onto Gareth's clearly defined six-pack ab's which were still a little red, sunburned from the time the two had spent on his private yacht earlier that day.

>Gareth slowly sauntered across the room, leaning over to get a better glimpse of the screen. His face was next to Jolly's, and the newest DSP member couldn't help but notice how his nostrils were slowly massaged by the scent of Gareth's shampoo.

>"Not bad," Gareth whispered as he casually draped his arm around Jolly's shoulder. "I think this is looking good. Yeah, you're doing great." He smiled as he noticed Jolly's breathing begin to become uneven.

>"But, you know what looks even better?" he asked.

>"W-what's that?" Jolly asked, his mouth feeling suddenly dry.

>Instead of answering, Gareth reached over and slowly caressed Jolly's cheek. The two freelancers locked eyes and for a moment, Jolly forgot to breath.

I think DDS is the only one whom I'm currently in talks with for things like that. I also forgot to mention Silver Dollar Games in unpublished, I did some content editing for them.

I guess fighters ARE better than wizards.

Hey everyone, what's going on in this thread?

Oh.

So you're saying an ACF that replaces, say, the bonus feats at 2 and 6 of a class shouldn't be applicable if the class takes an archetype that adds new options to its list?

What. The. Fuck?

>everyman games

DSP, don't take this guy. He's tainted by Augunas.

I... What the fuck? Why? For what purpose? To what end?

Delete your post and think about your life.

What in God's name