Which alignment?

Which alignment?

True Neutral/Chaotic Neutral. When things go too destructive, or too creative, he throws a random wrench into the works. Corvo is that hopefully good to balance out the evil unleashed prior by one of his gifts

True Neutral was my first thought, but then I realised that might not be quite true.
The point to the Outsider is that he's a human, but with an inhuman perspective of the material world, he's not a force of nature.

He's fine with some pretty fucked up things, but sides with those who are oppressed or used for another's gain as that was who he was before becoming the Outsider. So he's maybe got some odd morality or personal code of his own.

I think on balance he's generally neutral, but he has some leanings towards the CG side of the table. He's fine with stirring shit up to entertain him, as well as give the downtrodden a chance to change things, if only to see what happens when you give a slave the ability to kill his master.

Shifts depending on the alignment of society.

The Outsider empowers whoever is out of power against whoever is in power. True or Chaotic neutral in classic terms, but in reality his alignment depends on society.

Neutral homo.

He's not a human though? There's implications that he's some Lovecraftian-esque horror, an ancient whale at the bottom of the ocean. He just uses the human form to interact with people because it's more convenient. I'd put him at Chaotic Neutral, he doesn't do things for good or bad, but because he wants to.

iirc, he has a human backstory.

Harvey Smith confirmed that he was a human boy that was tortured and killed as part of an occult ritual millennia ago. For some reason, he became empowered and the Outsider we know today.

Personally, I prefer eldritch void whale, but this is fine too.

I don't really see how they contradict each other.

Boy tortured and killed, became host for the void-whale.

Chaotic WHY ISN'T THE NEXT GAME ABOUT DAUD

Because Daud may or may not be dead.

I'd play a prequel about young Daud first making his name and founding his crew, though.

>yfw we get a DLC about Billie being a pirate

Would be neat. There're plenty of potential Dishonored-related games and DLCs I'd be willing to pay money for.

Chaotic Fuck You.

How does that make sense? He says he is "older than the rock this place is built on"

It was a lot of millenia.
Seriously though he may have been referring to the island of Gristol rather than the planet or something. For him to have been around before tectonic drift formed the land would be possible, even if it didn't happen for us.

I would say true neutral. When Daud sought him out he gave him powers like "Good job, you've got my attention. Do what you want with these" a pretty neutral action. And then when Corvo was beaten down he felt the desire to step in if perhaps just to see events unfold, but this decision could be taken as anywhere from chaotic good to chaotic evil depending on what Corvo does and despite that, he never shows any emotion beyond mild curiosity toward the situation. He simply has no strong allegiances or codes.

Interesting, I remember finding some Overseer journals that seemed to imply the whale story. Poor kid

Chaotic neutral. He gives people powers for shits and giggles

The alignment system was created decades ago to teach 11 yr olds how to roleplay.

Cut it out.

Because the Outsider isn't eternal, he gets replaced once every 4000 years ago. He/she/it only speaks for the void, which empowers the mortal who takes the position and serves as it's avatar of sorts. Keep in mind some of the details come from dev logs and twitter posts, but that's the character they had in mind.

>Harvey Smith confirmed
Don't ever take anything Harvey Smith says seriously

I see your point, but to me, the same way a Lawful God would only give people powers so they can enforce Order, a Chaotic God would only give people powers so they can uproot Order.

The Outsider seems more the kind who doesn't care what you do with those powers, he just wants to see what you'd do.

I'd think that's True Neutral.

He is outside of alignment.

I'd say he is Chaotic Neutral for that very reason.

He doesn't care whether the person he gives power to is a good or bad person, on that they are part of the down trodden masses.

His intention may not be to promote chaos or order but chaos inevitably follows his actions and he is smart enough to know this and yet keeps on doing it.

>Doesn't show himself to Sokolov since he's not interesting enough, despite Sokolov trying his hardest to meet him
>Shows himself to Emily and gives powers to some random butcher boy instead

I feel this is just an innevitable disonance on how you look at it.
Does doing nothing about the likely consequences of your actions despite knowing about them mean you're promoting those consequences?

I see your point, but at the same time, Paladins often could be argued to be Chaotic by that logic, since they enforce their rules no matter what, even if it leads to the destabilization and fall of Empires, because the Empire running on good principles takes priority over its continued existence, as long as something is clearly "wrong" with it at the moment.

"[The Outsider] is not classically a 'trickster god,' but he's done a few things that probably remind people of other trickster examples, like granting man some kind of forbidden boon. You could say he has 'Chthonic' or 'Underworld' god qualities which represent the unconscious, mystery, secret or repressed desires, creativity, etc. The 'Shadow Self' from Jungian archetypes. This aspect, in my opinion, is much stronger than the trickster qualities."
— Ricardo Bare
He gives it to people with potential. Corvo, Daud, Delilah - all of them are diffrent, but they stir things up.

That's why both paladins and alignment system are A-prime retarded.

True Neutral. He takes no sides, just chooses who to manipulate for shits and giggles.

I wouldn't go as far as to say they're retarded, they just need the right approach.

Hell, my Forever DM campaign is a divine heavy campaign where 3 different factions tried to simultaniously back the fuck off the entire pantheon of gods, with Vecna in the lead, because "good", "evil", "law" and "chaos" in the alignment sense are forces of nature like magnetism, thunder, lightning, etc, and by these factions view, mortals who try too hard to adhere to them are hopeless pagan zealots who don't even realize it.

Everyone falls into these categories one way or another, just not completely, and whoever is trying to do so completely is trying to be something he/she really shouldn't.

I'd say he's one of the best examples of Chaotic Neutral you can find. He's interested in what people do with freedom, he gives them power and sees what they make of it. He doesn't care for social structures, and really only embraces people who fit outside of the norm, who don't work well with law and society.
He clearly values uniqueness and individuality, as he wants to be entertained by what people do.