/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Creatures from nowhere edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Link)
dropbox.com/s/lhpkz56kx9cjxqo/Athnahr.mse-set?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Backstabbing Nameseeker B
Creature- Human Warrior
When ~ enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each other creature named ~ you control.
Dash 0
2/1

Separately, does this need to be spicier, less spicy, or less boring?

Wojtek Broadshoulders RGW
Legendary Creature- Bear
RGW: Target creature gains haste and indestructible until end of turn. Put a +1/+1 counter on it and ~.
2/2

Did you intend for it to be able to get two +1/+1 counters on it per activation?
Also the ability just seems like the definition of "chinese takeout-menu" multicolor.

first swipe at common enemy creatures.

Agent of spite is too expensive. I get what you're going for with it, but that's still too much investment.

Workin' on common enemy noncreature spells now.

desu I kind of like it being costed that high. It's a pretty damned swingy card. I'll probably change it completely desu.

like the card, hate the name

nothing infinite about three 1/1s

aaand one more. Might be obscene in limited.

Noted. May change name in future.

what's shadow?

The same things as horsemanship.

>Expecting someone that doesn't know what shadow is to know what horsemanship is
Wew lad.

"Fleeting Passion" or "Fleeting Hope"

I lost track of the point, but now it's time to sleep.

Why don't the tokens just innately have haste?
Also needs to cost at least 1RW.

>Create three 1/1 white Soldier creature tokens with haste. Sacrifice those tokens at the beginning of the next end step.

Finished the mythics, which means the set is done! Compiling collages now for posting.

Okay, victory lap time, huge collages incoming. Commons!

Uncommons!

And rares! Thanks for all of the help, anons. I feel really good about how this project turned out.

I'd probably be better at this if I actually played the new Doom... oh well.

Set theme! Sorta. Kinda wondering if the ability should only be activated if you control no creatures.

And one more.

Legendary?
Very neat. If your set is about auras I'd love to see a living weapon version of living weapon.
Goes infinite with ashnods altar and an artifact sac engine but that's pretty hard to hit and really fair so its nice.
So this set is about recursion?

>Legendary?
Whoops, forgot about that. Well, there is only one in the reboot, but yeah, I'll take it off.

>living weapon version of living weapon
I get what you mean, but it's just kinda funny to read, you know?

Hmm, might have to up the recursion cost on the sword then. Though if I do so, I'll make the equip bonus better.

No set, I'm CO user. Just having some fun is all, taking a small break from, well, the CO set. Notice that Evergrowth and the Sword are both listed as 001/001. That said, I might repurpose the Sword into a CO artifact I've been having trouble coming up with an idea for.

Oh, and some Doom stuff because I'm a nerd.

After Maro bullshat us about why contraptions weren't in Kaladesh, I felt the need to come up with how they'd work.

Contraptions are DFCs and artifacts. Their front side has very little rules text in general. Assembling them is basically meld, except you can exile any number (greater than 1) of Contraptions at once. Contraptions only have effects when assembled, and generally have effects that boost the whole assembly's effectiveness or scale with the number of parts in the assembly. Contraptions usually have to be assembled by creatures; some Contraptions can ONLY be assembled by certain tribes, some require you to use a certain number of creatures, and a few might only require you to pay some mana. Some don't even have assemble costs at all, but those only add to other Contraptions. To assemble, you must fulfill all the conditions, but overlapping conditions don't stack - if one assemble cost makes you tap a Goblin and one makes you tap a Rigger, then tapping Steamflogger Boss would pay both costs.

Hrm, well, here's what I did trying to replicate Living Weapon. It really feels like Bestow is the best version of this concept though.

So... Link, basically? (mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Link) Yeah, I could go for that. It would be a nightmare figuring out how to represent it physically though. I'd like to see a mockup of exactly what you're thinking of.

Shadow (This creature can block or be blocked by only creatures with shadow.)

Pretty decent. Can see it in some specific decks.

This thing's amazing. I really, strongly believe it should not be a 4/4.

Grats :3 Now let's see how WotC prints those in Amonkhet.

This is really good and surprisingly 'balanced'. Should be a mythic.

>Card
SO. I went with the thread's theme, and made the first card. Then, regarding the flavor text, I had just a really strange idea.

>This is really good and surprisingly 'balanced'. Should be a mythic.
Cool. But... why mythic? I generally try to avoid making cards mythics just for power reasons, and usually do it for mechanical complexity. But if you can convince me to change it I will.

*snicker*

>left
Why is it a Vehicle? Why is it a land? I'd rather just have it be a Thopter that makes copies of itself or something.

>right
What the fuck?

>Grats :3
Thanks, man!
>Now let's see how WotC prints those in Amonkhet.
I'm excited to see their take on the same source material as well. I started this project before Amonkhet was announced, and I'm really glad that I finished before Amonkhet spoilers drop.

Not quite. Link is a casting requirement. Assemble would be an ability.

For us, it makes sense to leave mythics to just complex cards; but the true reason for them existing is draft play, and percentual chance of getting one. Imagine a set where this would be printed in such a way that it would be functionally printable (with auras, equips, etc),
It'd straight up win a draft/sealed match. In a constructed environment, shit goes insane.

5 mana =
>Angelic Destiny
7/7 First strike, Trample, Haste, Flying

>Shape of the Wiitigo
9/9 FS, Trample, haste

>Eldrazi Conscription
13/13 FS, Trample, Haste, Annihilator 2

>Sword of whatever
>Jitte of whatever
>Batterskull

>Why is it a vehicle.
No idea.

>Why is it a land.
>Thopter
A take from 'creature from nowhere'. Really hard to pull off the proc'cing of the triggered ability.

>Right
I have no idea either. You really need to jump some hoops to get the creature, but it does work, and feels like something a bit unattainable.

Np. But I actually do take offense when wotc prints cards we make :P

Good point. I never really think about draft, but that is what Wizards tends to design for. Changing it.

>>Why is it a vehicle.
>No idea.
Well, that makes two of us.

>A take from 'creature from nowhere'.
Maybe a manland that turns the land into a Vehicle artifact creature.

This is where we find out that time user is secretly MaRo beta testing sets on Veeky Forums

Just a random card I made after a friend's prompt, liked it enough to decide to post it here for feedback.

He doesn't whine enough to be Maro.

Modal cast triggers. This is so weird.

>As you cast ~, you may have it cost up to X less to cast, where X is the number of cards in your graveyard.

>When ~ etbs, you may return a creature from your graveyard to your hand for each G spent to cast it.

slow thread, have some cycles

Congratulations, time-sama! You're a credit to the thread.
It's inspiring to watch your sets develop - you have real talent for both card design and worldbuilding. Do you have any future plans for Unnamed Egypt-Inspired Set, or the plane itself? My favorite card is Ritual of Ancient Awakening, easily. Efreeti of Infernal Rites and Aneketian Idols are standouts as well. I love the sly reference to Library of Alexandria, too.

You should post these to /r/custommagic, they love this kind of shit.

Thanks, user! I really appreciate that, especially the compliment on my worldbuilding (which is far and away my favorite part of set design).
>Do you have any future plans for Unnamed Egypt-Inspired Set, or the plane itself?
The plane's name is Athnahr, and I think that'll probably end up being what I call the set. That seems to be a trend for set names and new planes (Innistrad, Zendikar, Lorwyn, etc.) As for future plans, I'd like to make a small set to finish up the story and round it out into a full block, but I think I need some space from the setting first. Fresh eyes and all that. But thanks again for all of the support, and I'm glad that you found some cards in the set that you really like!
>Godspark Shrine
I like it. It reminds me a bit of Thran Quarry, actually, but more cleverly designed. Elegant, simple. Good stuff.
I don't think I have the time to keep up with two separate imageboards, user! But I do make all of my stuff available in the pastebin (courtesy of COanon), so they're free to view the set in that fashion if they'd like, once I get the link added.

Random card because bump

God that card will see loads of play in EDH.

Anyway, I would like to actually see how Reddit reacts to some of these cards. Definitely need to get around to it at sone point. Though if I do go to Reddit, I'll only post my own cards. Reposting others' cards on the same site is fine, I think, but I don't want to share them on Reddit without permission.

And I'm on my phone, so I don't really have anything to post.

Yes, and I tend to have that problem. Was going for a politics mutual backscratching EDH general.
I'd like to figure out some way to reward the player more for hitting another player's creatures, but adding to that just makes it clunky looking.

Feel free to repost my stuff anywhere you want, man. I don't mind. Just let them know that Time user from Veeky Forums made it.

Also, here's the dropbox link to my completed Athnahr set. COanon, if you're around, could I get this added to the pastebin? Thanks!

dropbox.com/s/lhpkz56kx9cjxqo/Athnahr.mse-set?dl=0

Jesus thunderfucking christ. This card doesn't need the second clause, it's already at mythic with the evoke ability alone.

I want you to imagine the fucking nonsense this card could pull in Riku. hell, this turns sad robot into a cantiping off color rampant growth.

hell, outside of not getting access to black, this card would make Sedris look like a pussy because with him, you at least have to get cards in the graveyard somehow.

>specifying nontoken auras
I know this is to prevent a state lock from having two generous souls, but my body is fully ready for the insanity this concept implies.

Oh, cool parallel design right here.

Done.

That's what inspired me.

It's less exciting than you think.
>104.4b If a game that’s not using the limited range of influence option (including a two-player game) somehow enters a “loop” of mandatory actions, repeating a sequence of events with no way to stop, the game is a draw. Loops that contain an optional action don’t result in a draw.

Regeneration on this is too much. The instant speed makes it even more so. In most cases it's just going to be a 2-for-1.

It's basically Mending Touch + Prey Upon, both 1 cost cards. Multicolour makes it harder to play.

I'd call it good myself.

It's not a 2 for 1.

If you regenerate from a kill spell and then fight something your guy will kill, that's a 2-for-1.

Prey upon is also a Sorcery.
Also that's not really how combining spells together works cost-wise. When you combine spells, you pay for a premium, not just 1+1.

Regen your blocking/attacking creature and have it fight another one is the definition of 2-for-1.

>Also that's not really how combining spells together works cost-wise. When you combine spells, you pay for a premium, not just 1+1.

And multicolour cards are often more efficient than single colour cards to make up for being harder to cast. This is red and green, not just green.

>Regen your blocking/attacking creature and have it fight another one is the definition of 2-for-1.

Wouldn't it be 2 for 2? Since you used creature + instant to take out 2 creatures?

>That's what inspired me.
Wow, really? Never thought I'd be inspiring people in these threads.

You lost 1 card, your opponent lost 2 cards.
That's what a 2-for-1 means.

It could happen to youuuuuuuu

Maybe these should be turned-face-up triggers instead of death triggers?

Well, if your creature survived both fights. You used the damage removal from regeneration on the first fight if that's when you are spending the card so you better hope that the fight isn't with something big enough to kill your guy again.

God what a mess of rules. Kill it.

If it has to regenerate as a result of the Fight, its removed from combat before it can deal damage to the thing its blocking.

These are really clever. I like them.

See It's more than a combat trick.

Say you have a 5/5. You swing and it gets blocked by another 5/5. You regenerate your 5/5 and make it fight a nearby 3/3. The 3/3 dies, 3 damage is marked on your 5/5, then both your 5/5 and theirs deal 5 damage to each other. Yours gets regenerated and their dies.

End result, you lost 1 card, they lost a 5/5 and a 3/3. As long as the creature yours fights is smaller, the regeneration shield will be safe for the actual combat.

I'm about 50% sure I've seen this card on this thread before.

Ringanon here, I made one ages ago.

Yeah, sounds about right.

aaalright first draft of a complete set of common gold cards.

These are a little pushed for commons.

Literally all of them?

If no, which ones? They will almost certainly change in the future.

Ugh, having flashbacks to some uncomfortable experiments I had with representing guns as equipment.

Trying to incorporate 666 into a card. I'd like to use the actual value, instead of three 6's but this is all I could come up with, and even then I don't have a relevant ability at the end.

Obviously, it needs to create a 6/6 beast token. It is the number of the beast, after all.

Griselbrand uses a theme of sevens, so you could use that as inspiration.

SIX 6/6 demon beast tokens. You'd be paying 17 mana for it, so why not go all out?

Devil beasts, user. Devils are red, demons are black.

There are red demons and black devils, user.

They are very much the exception, not the rule. Besides, Devil Beasts go way better with the 666 motif!

There's one black devil from arabian nights and two red demons that are also spirits from kamigawa.

There's that red/black split devil from a Ravnica block. You can cast it using only black so it sort of counts.

It's still red and black color wise, regardless of what you spent on it.

Wow, didn't expect to get this much feedback. I really enjoy this effect, though I'm starting to rethink the main ability. Maybe something like
>~ deals X damage to each of up to X target creatures and/or players. Destroy up to X target artifacts and up to X target lands.

>7 mana
>6 damage to face + a 3-for-1
you might want to tone that down. But it's a cool idea.

Changed this slightly from the previous version. Upped the mana cost and recursion costs by 1 each, now gives equipped creature +1/+1 instead of +1/+0. Starting to wonder if this is really an uncommon now.

Point. So, the X damage to X targets ability I should keep, but ditch the destruction abilities? Hmm. Maybe pump your creatures by +X/+0?

Thatcher's Revolt was a perfectly fair card in AVR limited, a rather low power format.

For bored designers, try to improve/salvage this WhyMtgCardsmith "design".

maybe link the rest of the thread to whymtgcardsmith.tumblr.com so they know what you mean

I had a hearty chuckle at the Ult, because as written, it prevents them from losing the game to life loss. Well, ignoring the typos.

I like the first ability, but in order for it to be fair, the entire thing needs to be shifted downwards. Also, I hate designing Planeswalkers.

His spell is instant-speed.

Congrats, Timeanon. I will be going though all these over the next several minutes hours and giving you all the feedback I can manage, since I missed most of the process and I owe you some input. Three sets, one of which is a block, is pretty damn impressive.

I like this. Nicely done.

I like the flavor here. The last ability is really strong; it reads: "pay 3, get a 2/2 without needing a card in hand" which is very very strong. I think it can stay as it is, but it needs to be rare or something to compensate.

I remember these experiments I think. The Zombie set?

I see you've gotten back to cardmaking, Pinwheelanon. They could use more regulars around here.

>Agent of Spite
I love grandeur on commons, but this is a must-draft card in Limited and would be core in any BW Pauper deck. It's really goddamn strong.

>Frame of Essence
BG Thragtusk? Eh, unsure if want. It's neutered by comparison, so I can't complain too much. Not sure about shadow on the token, but I know your set has a ton of counter-shadow due to it replacing flying so it's probably "okay".

>Nightbear
Azorius Firstwing says it's okay technically, but it feels a bit off in those colors to me.

>Blasterbeast
This feels pushed. There are similarly-powered tramplers but trample is more fair on something like this. I get that it can't block regular creatures, but why would you block with a cheap 4/4 unless you were desperate?

>Bachalet's Finest
Power-wise it's fine, it's just not common material. Uncommon if you want it as a workhorse, rare if you want to keep it as a wincon, which it is more built to be. At rare it may or may not require a small costing tweak.

>Soulrot
Kinda neat. Not sure on the costing; something tells me it can be WB?

>Aleph's Breath
This feels like it wants to be uncommon.

>Youthful Glow
Probably fine.

>card
Still dicking with it.

(cont)

(cont)

>Mindblow
Bit too complex for common I feel, but just barely. Costing is appropriate I think.

>Passion for War
Bit too cheap, as has been said. 1RW I agree with as a possible cost. Instant makes this very strong as a potential defensive combat trick.

I like this. I feel like the counter cost should be 3G though, to make it a bit softer of a blow. Could maybe even be 2G.
>mfw regulars are trickling back
Did summer chase some folks away? Or was it just my shitty cards? *rimshot*

Someone made it last thread too I think?

>Morph as Evoke in some kind of reverse-trickery
It's clever. Too clever.

I like this. It's basically a common BUT it's appropriately raritied due to the complexity and added utility for Limited considerations.

Kek. I dunno if they could print that though; 4/8 walls could grind Limited to a halt, even at 6 mana.

So how should blue deal with -1/-1 counters? I know that it got infect in New Phyrexia and there are like two blue creatures that put -1/-1 counters on things in Shadowmoor or something. What conditions should be placed on blue placing -1/-1 counters? Should they mostly be self-inflicted or something?

From what I recall of blue and +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters, it should like to "use" them for things. Like, they should exist as a resource to do other things. So if you have a creature that can get +1/+1 counters, either it should get them in a very very blue way, or do a blue thing with them. I imagine -1/-1 counters would follow that. So if a blue creature gets them, it uses them as a resource somehow. If it gives them, it does it in a blue way, or causes blue things to happen because they exist to creatures that have them.

Personally I'd avoid it giving them out and stick to it using them itself as a resource.

Various random things.

That's what I was thinking for the most part. This is a card that I made a while ago, and I think adding and removing counters for effects is the way to go. Maybe transference of some sort as well, like from a creature you control to another, though that may not really be blue at all.

This reminds me of that dork from Lorwyn (I think?). I'd be fine with that sort of thing. It's nice because blue gets to move counters around with instants and sorceries, so you get that sort of utility there too.

This feels like a core set rare through and through. I like it.