MTG EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Blinking bullshit glass cannon edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Did anyone find anything interesting in Kaladesh for their decks?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-turn-6-win-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golgari-attempt-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/krajy-experiments/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mrs-steal-yo-girl-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Spicy tech for brago incoming, though it's decidedly not Kaladesh. Set looks very meh in my opinion.

Here's hoping 4 colour phyrexian mana commanders are coming in the new precons.

May or may not be true, but its the only thing we really got so far.

R8/H8/Coment8

>someone screencapped it
I hope it is. That just totally satisfies my inner Vorthos. Flavorful and powerful cards just totally salts my steak if you know what I mean. Like Soul of New Phyrexia. Fucking perfection, totally captured the feeling of the plane. I also love Elesh Norn and her sexy pseudo-mechanical bio-organic body.

>foil sliver overlord
That's like $120 worth of card right there.

Questions for you:
>What does Xenagos look like?
>Is Rakdos just generic fatties and burn.dek?
>What are you tutoring with Sidisi? Just normal combos like Mike + Trike, or Exquisite Blood + sanguine bond?

This card would be crazy powerful if read "until that opponent becomes the monarch".

It's still pretty crazy in brago stax, but requires some patience before dropping it.

>toss it out while brago and strionic resonator are on the field to exile 3 things with 2 open mana
>use it with winter orb up to totally clusterfuck people
>use Karn and liquid metal coating to turn their lands into artifacts into creatures, and then exile them so they can't come back which could be some flicker MLD if you're lucky with your setup

Everything is pretty crazy if you're in magical christmasland user

To be fair, I used to run a full artifact tutor suite in my Brago with a ruthless prison-stax setup, you'd be surprised how often I'd get silly things like Blightsteel and Jin Gitaxias on the field at the same time, or using Tezzy to tutor up Sol Ring, and Fabricate to tutor Strionic resonator in the same turn.

Did your friends hate you?

>Foil Sliver Overlord
When I got into magic, I asked my friend what was a good strategy to use. He said Slivers are very powerful and have different abilities that will teach me the mechanics of the game.
He now regrets that.
It's usually just mana ramp into Overlord, get out crystaline sliver (shroud) and then decide if I want to turn all my slivers into O rings or make them indestructible.

Xenagos used to be multiple medium creatures that I would buff with instants and bloodrush, While the creature that was targeted by Xenagos would pull agro. It didn't work well enough so I changed it to manaramp into fatties, then a few instants that give trample, deathtouch, and double strike with a few lures like golgary decoy.

Rakdos is pretty much that. Some artifacts and new Eldarzi (I don't play annihilator), but mostly other cards that deal damage themselves or have flying.

No, it's a meme deck. Combo where you draw your deck (mostly swamps), discard X cards to do X damage to everyone, sac dark sphere to take X/2 damage. You're the only one alive.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-turn-6-win-edh/

Yup. I play 1v1 non-french almost exclusively and I only brought out that deck when someone thinks they're really good for winning with bullshit. Every game was "tutor tangle wire and winter orb, hit with brago, then win because no one can do anything".

Recently I dismantled the tutor/artifact thing because wins were far too easy, and turned it into some sort of hybrid glass cannon/leviathan thing. The artifacts and tutors went into Memnarch stealing things and colourless ramp which is much MUCH more powerful, but seems to draw a lot less hate for some reason.

It's the same reason I had to take apart my Maelstrom. I built him, he was extremely powerful, then no one could beat it, so I slowly stole things from it until he turned into Uril. Cantrips are just too powerful in non-competitive metas.

>That's like $120 worth of card right there.
You're probably thinking of foil Legion? Overlord's only around thirty, closer to $10 for the Premium Deck Series version.

>sliver legion
Yup, that was the one I was thinking about.

The deck is about $200.
But I also bought the Time Spiral sliver deck as well.

>open kaldesh packs
>get hangarback walker masterpiece
>friend opening get's solemn masterpeice
>buy it off him
>mfw my favorite deck is a Newzuri deck

So, what do you think of the news regarding Commander; Anthology?

Masterpiece sad-robot kinda looks like a Xenomorph.

I just bought Plunder the Graves and i have no idea what to do, i'm new to commander and people here seem to be kinda competitive so how can i upgrade it to be effective?
Pic unrelated

I hate his fat belly. He looks pregnant. I mean I know he gives birth to value, but come the fuck on wizards.

Nothing beats the OG

First things first, don't fall for the self-mill trap. Reanimate at your leisure with Meren, but don't rely on her because she will draw hate. I like to play toolbox with lots of options. Spore Frog, Fleshbag Marauder/Merciless Executioner are your best friends.

Should i go for a sort o -blink but reanimating with Meren or should i go for a sac your shit and give me tokens with Mazirek? Both seem to be strong but i need to decide a direction for the deck so i can start making upgrades.

Oh, and lots of ETB effects or effects that trigger when things die. Generate value and force people to sac things. Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos are great, along with Butcher of Malakir, who is already in the precon. It's a pretty solid deck out of the box, so just grab some general gudstuf like Ashnod's Altar and From Beyond.

Meren is probably the stronger of the two, and you won't need to rely on her if built right. Mazirek can be fun and offers a more unique strat. I personally run Mazirek in the 99 because I have a nice amount of sac outlets.

Hey guys I wraped up my Ghave combo shit

working on Derevi to be a dick next

Wondering if Kaalia land destruction is viable. The plan is to destroy lands in an effort to protect kaalia from getting fucked off the table

Thanks, i'll put together proxies to try the cards you suggested and a bunch of other cards that seem to go well with the deck if i find any.

>astral slide
Can't believe I forgot about that card. I was already planning to include 6 Runes of Protection. Thanks user

No problem. Good luck, user.

>4 mana do nothing

You mean a 4 mana 7/7 that usually comes down and usually attacks immediately because it's one of the best voltron commanders and they usually run tutors for equipment?

Every Ruhan deck I've ever played with usually swings with Ruhan the turn he comes down. A 6 mana 6/6 is blah, but a 4 mana 7/7 is fucking bonkers.

>Ruhan
>One of the best Voltron commanders
>A vanilla 7/7

Ruhan is literal garbage, dude. Compare it to Rafiq; at its worst, Rafiq is a 4/4 double strike, meaning it hits you for 8. Even fucking Shu Yun is a way better voltron commander, on the same colors, than Ruhan.

Rate my decks, /edhg/.

Yes, I like blue.

Would you think I'm a cool enough dude to let me play my Glint-Eye deck?

>Vanilla with a downside
>Best voltron
You're fucking dumb. There's literally no reason to play it, as there's nothing but better options. If you own all the good shit like swords, you're better off smacking them into actually useful commander.

Fuck yeah, but the best nep is the one that animates.
Got a Kraj list?

Would play with/10, Nephilim decks are pretty rad. Ink-Treader is a fucking riot, there's nothing quite like a mass Pongify or Act of Treason.

Trying to learn to ramp properly. What's the difference between cards like pearl medallion, marble diamond, Sakura-tribe elder and journeyer's kite? Wouldn't the pearl medallion and Journeyer's kite be best? Surely reducing your casting costs and being able to get more than one use out of a land tutor is ideal?

Describe Ramriez DePietro, Progenitus, and Teferi. Especially Progenitus. Also, what kind of sleeves are Isperia, Ramirez, and Karlov in? They don't look like cheap-ass Ultra-Pro, so why do you love those lists more?

At least Karlov looks like Dragon Shield, but who knows

Upping it right now. I'm still missing a few pieces I really want (e.g. Umbral Mantle, new Selvala, Morphling, and Thornling) but playing him has been a blast nonetheless.

I've played against a tuned Ink-Treader. It was pretty miserable, the guy would draw his deck at will and answers for whatever. His wincon was repeated polymorph effects in tokens he had made for us in order to eventually deck us out. Gotta say it was an impressive deck.

Ramirez is a turbo-vorthos pirate tribal deck with a focus on flavor. Proggy is timmy enchantments with some pillowfort, nothing is more satisfying than Tunnel Vision-ing Replenish and getting all the Honden in play. Teferi is a spike/johnny artifact combo deck, soon to be revamped into stax. I could give you the lists for them if you want.

Choice of sleeves is largely arbitrary. Except for Ramirez, which deserves my best for being my pet deck.

And yeah, this guy () got it right, they're Dragon Shield.

Versatility. Pearl medallion makes everything white cost less, but you can use marble diamond's mana for everything else.

It ends up depending on your deck and the colors you're running. For example, I have pic related in a kitchen table landfall deck. It lets me play an extra land a turn and I can also use it to trigger landfall in my opponent's turns.

See what works best for you and your strategy

can someone tell me how to make my deck better?
while staying under $250

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golgari-attempt-2/

I'm running gahji focusing on token swarm. Right now I'm running 13 mana fixers/doublers/ramp. So I'm in RWG colors. Game plan is to ramp hard, put out tokens and swing like crazy.

I'm sure there are more cards like this, but right now I can't think of much more.

disregard that, you have to tap it too, I can't read

How is a 7/7 for 4 bad? It doesn't matter that he's vanilla, he a big target regardless and ends games.

You realize that without ANYTHING on him he's a 3 turn clock? In a voltron build, that's easily obtainable even quicker.

Not only are you in the colors for mass removal, youre in the colors for control. I've played against both Narset voltron and Ruhan voltron, and Ruhan ends games a lot quicker.

He attacks randomly. You could end someone in 3 attacks giving him some evasion, but the random aspect makes him bad compared to other voltrons.

>You realize that without ANYTHING on him he's a 3 turn clock?
What the fuck am I reading? Do you play nothing but french?

3 turns is fucking forever. On top of that, he attacks randomly so you can't actually focus someone down. Any half decent voltron will kill you in one turn.

If Narset takes longer to kill someone it's merely because she's taking infinite extra turns and extending the game. Ruhan is ass.

and he's a vanilla 7/7, anything can block him

why would anyone use him as commander is beyond me

Here you go.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/krajy-experiments/

I have no idea how I managed to fuck the spoilers so badly in my previous post.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he has no place in the game. He's a politically neutral facesmasher in good voltron colors, whose cost scales nicely for lategame casts. He's a "for fun" kind of commander.

>I've played against both Narset voltron and Ruhan voltron, and Ruhan ends games a lot quicker.
But this kind of shit is retarded. Narset is leagues better.

First of all, you're never ever going to get to hit someone in the face with a big beater for 3 turns

Secondly he attacks randomly so even if no one tries to disrupt you're not actually putting anyone on a 3 turn clock because you aren't gonna hit the same guy 3 times in a row.

Narset kills by going off and killing everyone on the same turn or by taking a bunch of turns in a row without other people taking turns

Ruhan is only a fit for casual environments, if anyone at the table gives a shit about disrupting you they will.

Look at Rafiq, who costs just as much mana. Not only does he get double strike by himself, but adding swords on him does a LOT more than doubling the damage. He allows other things with on-player damage effects to trigger twice, including the swords you stick to him.
You can decide for yourself whom he attacks, and he's got green instead of red, which goes a lot further for keeping him on the board.

I do kind of want to build Rafiq but even the casual decklists are weirdly expensive

Just build Uril

Has new Grenzo been working well for anyone?

>have twelve decks with an average cost of slightly over 100$
>at this point I could've had a finely tuned 1500$ deck
>keep brewing jank instead
>got plans for at least two new decks
God damn, why is it so fun to build new decks?

The only time I have been able to play it my opponents scooped because I had 7 creatures out already.

Sounds like it would be more useful in the 99 than as a commander

It was in my 99, I've played that deck about 20 times since i bought it and that was the only time i've played it yet, oh well.

Two mana: end the game?

seems dece

I dont want to win, I want to turn creatures right and ruin boardstates/tutors.

>Devoid Eldrazi

I know your pain user. I have 2 decks right now, working on a third, and I already have 2 others planned for once my current one is done.

Plus, I'm unemployed, so my acquisition of new cards is painfully slow.

I know your pain, user. I mainly build decks to lend over to friends who don't play commander to see if they end up buying/building one, so I'd rather not spend a lot of money into just one deck

Dear other Kraj Players,
How much work does Arcanis actually do in your deck?
I've thought about putting him in for years but it just doesn't seem that great.

With all the untappers it's not unreasonable to draw an extra nine cards per turn cycle for very little mana, often more. And being able to bounce Kraj is a nice boon. It also happens to be the case that I think Arcanis is really cool.

I want to build a mono-green deck that shits on blue and black. Who's the best commander for this? Dosan the Falling Leaf seems like my best bet.

Have any good ideas for a powerful wincon? I currently have taking/reanimating the other guys fatties, herald of leshrack, and mirror-sigil sergeant. I also think I want to cut a few things for more card draw and tutor effects, any recommendations?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mrs-steal-yo-girl-2/

Wait foil overlord is $120? I got one in a box from my uncle when I first started playing a couple of years back. The box had a bunch of onslaught fetches as well so I guess it isn't that surprising.

best game ever last night

>ephara control vs brago stax vs sedris reanimator (me) vs zada combo
>ephara starts with sol ring + thought vessel and has venser sojourner in play on turn 2
>brago's start is just fast enough that its mostly brago vs ephara in the early turns as sedris ramps and zada just makes some 1/1s and misses land drops
>turn 5 or so its starting to look like venser ult is going to close out this game, we have 1 more turn to deal 2 damage to venser
>using brago + act of authority and some other stuff brago manages to kill a good number of ephara's splicer golems and other creatures so that if just one more is removed, zada will be able to swing enough goblins to stop venser ult
>my turn is before zada, i ramp a little more (my game so far has been a very slow ramping and nothing else), and then i cast bone shredder, everybody thinks im going to kill another of ephara's creatures but i have other plans
>i trust zada to figure out a way to stop venser ult and i realize that ephara only has 3 cards in hand, so it looks like brago might be about to take over the game once we deal with venser ult
>so instead i target brago with bone shredder, brago player is extreemly butthurt "you just threw the game away" etc, etc
>i admit if ephara had some counterspells in his 3 cards my plan mightve gotten us killed
>but zada ends up pulling some interesting shit with assault strobe and attacking for enough to knock venser out of ult range
>now the game is more even, no more archenemy, i have nothing on board but i do have lots of mana and everybody is decently high life total except brago is at like 25
>brago attempts to board wipe all of ephara and zada's big boards of tokens and creatures, ephara counters
>brago's rest in peace is in play so it looks like im not a threat at all, i only have sedris in play and no graveyard
>ephara and zada swing out on brago
>before my turn begins i activate desolate lighthouse and discard palinchron, suspense builds

cont.

How do you make rafiq good

tutor up a Finest Hour

Welp, in finally happened.

>play sydri in 6 man free for all
>few turns in and I'm sitting at 53 life
>tutor for Water Tower, then cast it
>friends see it and are ready to hit me as soon as I use Water Tower's ability
>cast Sydri, then give life and more to Water Tower
>pay 50 life and gain it 5 times and off them one by one
>everyone stares at eachother slack-jawed

Glad I kept that bit secret until I actually pulled it off.

steel of the godhead.

Have you ever considered making a Mimeoplasm deck that acts like a Kraj deck with access to necrotic ooze and other black goodies?

>i start my turn with thirst for knowledge and hit the nuts, deadeye nav + reanimate, i discard deadeye and massacre wurm
>i start by unearthing palinchron, zada responds by killing sedris with pyroblast
>palinchron untaps some lands but i end up exactly 1 mana short to recast sedris, unearth deadeye nav + flicker palinchron
>instead i cast reanimate on deadeye nav
>but ephara was sandbagging hinder
>i am able to wipe the board with blasphemouts act and recast sedris but palinchron is exiled by unearth at end of turn, im no longer able to combo off the rest of the game, and ephara still has ephara and some artifacts in play
>zada is out of gas and has no creatures so he meekly passes the turn
>ephara topdecks consecrated sphinx and seems a lock to close out the game since my combo was taken care of and zada has nothing going on
>me and zada are about to agree to scoop even after connie died because ephara now has 8 cards in hand + 2x venser's journal, but i have disciple of bolas in my graveyard and i want to at least see what my new hand looks like before i scoop it up
>my turn is mostly activated abiltiies so it doesnt immediately suprirse me when ephara has no responses as i draw 6, gain 6, then use ingot chewer twice to kill his journals and shriekmaw his creatures
>im finally out of mana and move to combat, in response ephara taps out for cyc rift.
>i have a great hand but im ready to scoop after that, zada player was inspired by that turn though and says he wants one more turn before scooping, he has 5 mountains and 4 cards in hand, nothing else
>but ephara is tapped out
>zada looks at his draw for turn and gives a malicious giggle
>i thought this was just a formality turn so my heart is racing, is he really gonna do it?
>zada casts mana geyser
>then he casts zada and dualcaster mage
>then he casts heat shimmer on zada

everybody was freaking out, it was amazing, this is why i love edh

>10 mana to kill the whole board

what were they thinking?

>pay 50 life and gain it 5 times
I don't get it, how did the water tower's ability gain you life?

cutthroat bant control

rafiq doesnt need much support to kill people, a sword or jitte, steel of the godhead or something

you need to dedicate most of your deck to stopping everybody else's plans

its not top tier but it can be strong

Wait never mind I'm a retard

sydri makes the artifact a creatures and gives it life link

Sydri turns artifacts into creatures and gives them lifelink.

>sydris abilities
>1 blue mana: make non creature artifact a creaturre
1 black 1 white mana: give target artifact creature deathtouch AND lifelink

i mean its not like they could be much more careful with the design of the reservoir

sydri is the card that enables weird stuff, by turning noncreatures into creatures and giving them creature abilities

wotc shouldnt be designing noncreature artifacts with the worry that somebody is going to give them lifelink

Wait, lifelink works on Aetherflux Reservoir's ability too?

Yes, because the water tower is dealing 50 damage. Have fun.

>Whip of Erebos + Tezzy/Anything that turns artifacts into creatures+ this

My knowledge of the stack is a bit rusty, but that's not the correct order to do an inf combo, right?

The way you say it, he casts heat shimmer, copying zada (immediately removing the zada copy ofc), then copying dualcaster mage, which no longer has any spell to copy since Heat shimmer resolved already.

He'd need to cast zada, then heat shimmer and in response cast dualcaster mage copying the heat shimmer, so it'd keep copying the original heat shimmer after the copy resolves each time.

In fact, doesn't that just give an infinite loop and end in a draw, since there's never any MAY wording, so as long as there's legal targets, you need to keep copying things?

Or exquisite blood. No need to make anything a creature.

Granted, it might not be as effective as lifelink since it looks at the actual amount of life lost, so if they're only at 30 life, you'll only be getting 30 life back.

Use this and basilisk collar to be able to use Water Tower in any deck.

If you put the copy targeting Mage on the stack after the original spell the new Mage can copy the original Heat Shimmer. Also you may end the stream of Mages by redirecting the last copy to Zada.

Who destroyed the RIP? Ephara? Your and Zada aren't playing the normal enchant destruction colors

i actually thought something similar to you, my understanding of the heat shimmer dualcaster mage combo was this

>have any creature in play
>cast heat shimmer
>in response copy with dualcaster, the copy targets dualcaster, the copy targets dualcaster, etc etc
>the original never resolves until youre done

but it works differently with zada

>zada and dualcaster in play
>heat shimmer targeting zada
>trigger creatures copy targeting dualcaster
>dualcaster clone comes into play, copies the original heat shimmer which hasnt resolved yet
>etc etc etc

not sure what you meant about a draw situation

the advantage of animating/lifelink is that the life gain happens simultaneously as the damage is dealt, not as a triggered ability

>so if they're only at 30 life, you'll only be getting 30 life back.
false. You will set them to -20 life if they only have 30 and you will gain 50

You dont need to turn it into a creature, you just need to give it lifelink