I've been interested in converting D&D into minecraft, and have started setting some shit up. I want to create a 3-D...

I've been interested in converting D&D into minecraft, and have started setting some shit up. I want to create a 3-D, real-time D&D that isn't limited by premade campaigns and can be morphed into anything-- the proccess for worldbuilding is pretty simple right now, I just need to convert everything.

Some things, obviously, will not me able to me preserved-- such as complex spells what alter things mid-combat-- but I'd like to know what you think.

What version would you guys reccomend I use, and is there anything you think I should keep in mind?

Other urls found in this thread:

file.lunas.host/Public/Serbia.zip
file.lunas.host/Serbia.zip
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mods can help a lot. Just don't take the too overpowered ones. Pick simple magic ones.

I'm doing almost everything with custom NPCs and RPGitems-- simple enemies with low intelligence, like animals or undead, are controlled by NPCs, while anything I consider relatively intelligent-- while they will have an NPC model-- will be reccomended as "controlled" instead of just using a shitty AI. I can also somewhat mod, so I've made a bunch of tweaks to RPGitems.

>real-time D&D
Woah what do you mean by this? As in doing away with rounds? I like the idea of using Minecraft + GM tools to quickly lay down maps in a 3D space, but emulating D&D combat in realtime, is a massive and probably unrewarding task.

I mean what you explained. It would be complex and some spells would be removed, but I do like the sense of pressure/fast-pased thinking it causes.One problem with combat is that multiple enemies at the same time are much harder, while single, powerful enemies are much weaker.

>I mean what you explained.
I didn't really explain anything. Maybe this makes more sense in an edition I haven't played, what edition are you attempting to emulate here?

Sorry, English isn't my best language-- I meant yes, I'm doing away with rounds. Also, I meant to say edition when I said version-- I think either 3.5 or 4e would be best, but I'm not entirely sure.

>Minecraft
Fuck off, OP.

> Minecraft
Please consider picrelated.

If you want a really good modular spell system check out the PSI mod. It basically let's you program spell effects in game.

So you're making a fantasy video game.

Shit, what a radical notion.

That looks pretty cool. I don't know how it works, but it's cool.

Never said it was special, but I just wanted advice to make it as close to D&D as possible.

Direwolf20 on YouTube does a solid tutorial for it if you're interested in learning. Throw up a world download when you get something working, I'd like to check it out!

this is really intriguing
keep it up op

As you mentioned action economy is hugely important to D&D. Even if you implement AC and other D&D concepts, consider the 6 second round combat runs on. In these 6 seconds, your standard/move/swift/immediate or standard/move/minor/triggered actions have to be taken, and since some classes need to be using all of their actions in a given round, you should probably stick with the 6 second scale or not much less for how long it takes a player to do these things. So a move action is 3 seconds and a standard is 3 seconds right? But wait you need to implement a 3 second cooldown after using any kind of spell to prevent double casting or double attacking which would be standards in your move action. If you don't, casters will be popping out spells like they're going out of style and all enemies will be nuked down before they have a chance to reposition. But wait metamagic quickened spells are pretty important and they're free action in 3.5, yet still limited to once per round. So you'll need to implement a metamagic system with its own timers and remember that that quickened spell won't provoke an AoO. Speaking of, casting spells normally gives nearby opponents a free hit on you regardless of their other actions, so this is beyond the 3 sec move and 3 sec standard. You could implement this with something like a reactionary button for players that pops up when an enemy caster is casting near them, else something else would give them AoO, allowing them to make an attack without interrupting their own standard, but you'd have to program that yourself. Another common way to provoke is by walking through a threatened area, but remember this is realtime and, at 6 or so 5ft steps (yes MC uses 1 meter blocks but I'm assuming you're simplifying that?) per 3 sec, that enemy will only occupy a square for about .5 sec. I hope you have a resolution in mind for passing each others' threatened squares while taking simultaneous move actions, because D&D doesn't.

No problem. I'm likely gonna use a map a friend of mine made for /int/.

Here's the map, and an example of what it looks like up-close.

Well you've got my personal interest in this, I've been wanting an rpg minecraft for a while. Basically ever since I found out about Tolkiencraft, tried it, and saw just how horribly laggy and overall incomplete it was. Also the balance the second or third time around that I tried it was absurdly horrible, the boss you had to kill in the overworld before you even got to go to Middle Earth was virtually unkillable without cheating. I used all the buff stuff I could and still had to give up and tp in. Hilariously, even when the creator posted a single player Let's Play video, once he got to the ogre fight he faded to black, giving absolutely no tips on how it's intended to be completed, suggesting a need for cheats or a party in multiplayer.

I have a good deal of that already down-- It's actually very simple to change the cooldowns on items and whatnot.

However, the free hit/reaction thing is a problem, and I'll have to see what I can do with that. I could, for example, make casting spells apply a strong slow for a duration, stopping movement, as well as send the target a message whenever a caster uses a spell. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Also, here's a closeup of a map.

>send the target a message whenever a caster uses a spell
why?

Large-scale multiplayer would be difficult to implement. This is more for small-scale parties, as the "package/download" would include:

>A "Monster Manual" with tons of pre-made monsters
>Information to give every weapon/spell/skill possible, as well as how to edit them
>Explanation of how to add feats and chatnot (although most can be done by the players themselves)
And more, as well as a map.

Er, to alert the free-action shit. Not sure if it would be the best way, but it's an idea.

would you be implementing early firearms similar to Balkon's weapon mod?

I have used that mod; however, it's impossible to edit the damage values of them. It is possible to do, however, in one of two ways:

1: RPGitems, which would not cost ammo (although durability could be used in this way). Additionally, the projectile would be an arrow or a slow-moving fireball.

2: CNPCs, which has a bunch of pistols with varying damage. Only problem is it's impossible to change the image without texture packs, but I assume that isn't too big a deal. Also, additional effects (such s poisoned bullets) could not be applied, but it's still a good system for regular firearms, while RPGitems can be a backup for special ones.

>This is more for small-scale parties

Would it also be acceptable for single-player-autism? As in, would you allow NPC party members to help out in combat, or would things be balanced enough to allow someone to be perfectly fine going it alone?

Do you have a targeting system implemented? Players are going to need to quickly be able to target single or multiple enemies and/or single or multiple allies in realtime for spell effects and sometimes attacks.
Also, ranged attacks, aside from objects, terrain features, and cover from other creatures, still rely the attacker's stats and RNG vs the target's AC, not default-minecraft's Player skill based arrow shooting, so something like WoW's silly near-realtime stand and attack/dodge would fit well.
How are you going to handle stat-balancing for less combat-oriented world interaction like skill checks?

It would be harder, but still completely possible-- Custom NPCs (the best NPC mod right now) allows for basic followers. Casters would be difficult, as they would only have a couple spells, but anything else would be fairly easy to do.
If you could roleplay the rest, it would be feasible, yes.

Dodge chance does work, RNG is doable in most cases (In some, like NPC projectiles, it's pretty hard, although I can do it for hit chance.)

I'm not entirely sure about the targetting thing, I've been working on that. However, it will have to be some part skill-based-- you click on them, then the RNG works.

Gonna post a few pics of the map.

Good luck user, basement dwellers have been chasing this particular whale since the earliest days of the internet. It's where we got MUDs.

Thanks lad-- happy to hear it's not just me who's interested. I'm in Uni right now, but I'll post progress I've made soon.
Currently, I'm working on AI-controlled enemies that the DM can spawn in should they not need to control a monster-- giving them stats, what abilities I can give them, etc.
By the way, I'll be using the 3.5e Monster Manual. If anybody wants me to add a monster that isn't there, do tell-- otherwise, I'll likely skip over.
I'd also like to note I'm rather limited in models, but have a few resources (Erebus for insects, F&A for prehistorics, and a few others.)
I won't be able to make everything look perfect.

What mod are you using to make the minecaft world generation actually seem semi realistic.

It's a goof friend of mine who made the entire map by hand-- it's 20kmx20km. Lots of cool secrets too, like ice formations in the north.

There used to be quite a few Veeky Forums servers a few years ago.

Huh, really? Wouldn't have guessed.
/int/craft died a while ago, it's what the map was originally made for.

Damn,dude must have mad autism,props!

>made the entire map by hand-- it's 20kmx20km. Lots of cool secrets too

Hah, I was just talking to him-- he's happy his map is being used, since the server he made it for died.

Now THAT'S autism

I remember the Dwarf Fort ones. It was a neat experiment but blending the roleplaying part of RPGs into an existing game/community just didn't work out.

I'm not planning, really, for a server. Instead, I'm setting it up so that anyone who wants to make their own server for friends can.

The problem with setting up a server for anyone to use is that you'd need to give every DM admin commands-- which could be used by people to fuck up other campaigns.

Here's an example of a retextured mob-- I turned a Terror Bird into a Phoenix. It has the same touch attack and occasionally casts Searing Light.

Is there any monster you guys want me to try to make? Preferably something simple so I can go back to studying for midterms faster, but I'll try anything you guys want.

It still exists

gay

Kobolds?

Sure thing, I'll be right back...

Any chance you could link somewhere I could download that world?
If your friend and you are okay with that?

Sorry it took so long, here it is!
Kinda shitty, but you could spawn in an entire village of these bastards and whatnot, while focusing more on the important characters. It's a work in progress.
When I asked him about using it myself, he was happy to know anybody was using it, and said if I could find it, it was mine.

I'm not sure if this link works, but here's the current one. If it doesn't, (not working for me but I have shitty internet) I'll talk to the host to see what he can do.
file.lunas.host/Public/Serbia.zip

If not, I can send you the file, but I'm going to sleep now and I can't be arsed right now.

Good night, Veeky Forums! I hope this thread made you sick with autism!

Oh, and since the tail didn't show up for some reason.

The link didn't work, sadly.
If you ever find it after the thread 404's, my Steam name is Chromeliger.

And Im not usually a fan of Minecraft, but I really hope this project goes well for you. I look forward to any updates you wanna tell us.

Slimes Catgirls

I've been wanting to make another RP sever in the vein of the old Veeky Forums RP servers. But with mods!

This could be a real help.

So NWN?

Not necessarily D&D but I'm already doing this with others on/for an RPG server. We've been at it for about a year now and a little over halfway done.

I wouldn't even attempt it unless you are either a super autist or have others to help you.

I'd love a mod that just let you play D&D in a 3d, easily modeled minecraft world. Exploration would be mostly free range (you can mod some DM-controllable doors or traps or something i guess)

but as soon as combat starts, your characters get frozen until it's your turn. On your turn, you can move up to 6 squares or whatever your movement is, attack or cast spells in a certain area, etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, 4e would probably be best represented in this system. But I guess it's really hard to do, because I don't understand why someone wouldn't have already done it. It essentially requires very little interaction with the minecraft world, and just has to handle fairly simple combat rules

Doesn't the pixelmon mod do pretty good turn based combat? You may wanna look at that for ideas.

That's a great idea-- I'm not the best at coding, but I know a guy, so I'll see if I can do something like what reccomended

Ah, sorry. I'm uploading it on my computer but it's an absolutely massive file, so you'll have to wait.

So Luna explained the URL just got messed up, here's the proper link.

file.lunas.host/Serbia.zip

Enjoy Chien's 400km^2 of magnificent autism-- he worked hard on it.

Do you mean slimes or slimegirls?

Yes

I can do either if you tell me which you'd prefer.

Hey, OP, I think you have a cool idea and I hope you get it going!

Thanks lad!

Gonna be working on those soon, I suppose. Since they have the same stats-- unless you want me to to give them the same ones-- it won't be hard.