The 12 Towers

Thread remake, made one a few nights ago but it was late, and it got pruned.

Hopefully this one takes off, I stopped working on the game towards the end of the summer to sort out my life. Currently working on the 3rd Edition Beta game.

> What is The 12 Towers?
This is a heavy PvP board game for 2 to 12 Players.
> Dice?
Using d6 for now.
> Cards?
600 cards in the core
> Character Creation?
Not really/Not yet. Players take the role of 'Keepers'.
> Do you NEED 12 players to play?
Not at all. It works fine with any number; 1vs1, 6vs6, 4vs4vs4, whatever you want to try. 12 Players is for advanced gameplay.
> Website?
Sort of, working with a BGG post I haven't really used. Working on building a base following for now.
LINK -boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/202491/12-towers
> Available to buy?
Not yet, hopefully next year.
> Why post?
I put a lot of faith into Veeky Forums this past year, and everyone has been extremely helpful and supportive.

> What's new?
For those that followed along (Again I apologize for going silent for a while, been busy), the game board and cards are getting a complete redesign.

First off, I fixed Weapons & Armor. I made the HUGE mistake of using even numbers (4,6,8,etc) in the game that primarily uses intervals of 5,10,20,etc. EVERYTHING is now intervals of 5's and 0's, so there's no more confusing, shitty math.

The game board will remain the same size for now, 32x32 inches. Yes, that's a big fucking board, but it seems to be working for now. I turned a lot of heads at the Fan World Convention in Canada a few months ago (Overall the convention sucked balls, and I'm never going back again).

The regions of the board are much cleaner and organized, so there's no confusing intersecting lines that I have to put arrows. Pic of the board in the next post.

Pic related is 2nd version beta, which I won't be using anymore. Updated pics in a minute.

If you have questions regarding the game, just ask. OP will be here most of the night working on stuff.

update pic 1/2

This is the new board design. Still using the dodecagon style to perfectly fit 12 regions.

The Outer most regions are where the Towers are placed, and Keepers start the game.

Mid circle is what I'm calling "The Fields". Designed it to be a typical forest area, that doesn't really belong to any Tower specifically.

Inner Ring is "The Arena". This is basically the central terminal between all of the Towers. There's no more short cuts like the previous board. To claim another tower, you'll have to brave The Arena to get to the right pathway.

Damage from weapons and spells do not travel into or out of The Arena, so I'm expecting a lot of heated battles going on here (Hopefully I'll have this ready to test, and get videos of gameplay by the end of this month).

Update pic 2/2

New card design I'm working on. I added symbols to all of the Towers to help colorblind people (That was a big concern, and I think they turned out nicely).

Also, I added symbols on the left side of the card to represent what the card is, rather then the mid line text that said "Spell, weapon, etc", got some heat for copying M:TG too much.

Finally, the Event Cards will no longer have artwork. Instead I'll add a small batch of RP text to describe what has been discovered, and give some clues as to what the card can do for you. This has been saving me a TON of time, but if you have a different opinion or idea, let me know.

Like I said, I'll be working on lots of stuff, and if you'd like to know more about the game, just ask!

This is impressive. Read the bgg description, can you explain power, how it works or give an example?

Why does this feel like if the TempleOS guy made a boardgame

Power is basically everything that you are, boiled down into one simple number.
I've played a lot of gamed, like Talisman for example, where you have to manage Strength, Magic, Money, Followers, etc.

For a standard game, everyone starts with 1000 Power. That number is divided between your Keeper, and your Tower.

Keeper Power - Used to cast spells, Control Events, and how much damage you can take before you die.

Tower Power - How much untouched reserved power you have (Can be transferred, or "siphoned"), your Tower HP before it's destroyed.

It's a game within a game to keep your Power high, and reducing other players and Towers to zero. Now 1000 might seem like a lot, but keep this in mind. Weapons now deal damage between 10 - 80, and spells cost between 5 and 60, all of that adds up pretty quick.

My first few test games lasted about 25-30 minutes, 2vs2 team battle, 1000 power standard. This can obviously be increased or decreased as necessary.

No idea what that is but I'll look it up

Realized I didn't finish what I was going to write in the OP.

> Character Creation?
Somewhat, working on a few ideas.

Players take the role of 'The Keepers'. Here's the TL:DR shitty lore I wrote about this.

Keepers are basically part of a royal bloodline. These characters control their respective Tower, and watch their claimed lands. Every so often, they venture off to fuck shit up (ie, you playing the game).

Keepers rise and fall, succeed and die, it's the natural order of things. Now this ties into another project I've been working on as well.

Behold this shitty MSPaint pic I did. This is my version of Campaign Gameplay (or how to get groups of players together and play multiple games).

When you start the game, you're the 1st Generation of Keepers. The player/s that win this round name the Generation. The NEXT game pushes the timeline forward 100 years, or the next Gen. In the pic is an example of a group playing 9 games total over 2 months.

For now, there's no character creation or development, but hopefully I can get some work done on that in the future. As of now, your Keeper on the board is just an icon that moves, attacks and cast spells. The real RP is with the Towers.

My group needs this game, when will it be available?

Unfortunately not until next year, still working out the kinks with basic gameplay.

However I'm getting close to testing with the new version, which might be enough to get a solid Kickstarter going.

Now THIS is what interests me

Thanks, it's a work in progress, but I tested it a few times.

Got a small group of me and 3 players to try it out. Worked nicely, and someone came up with the idea to name the Generations.

Additionally, I figure there could be ways to give victory points or something related to the winner. So they get a bonus for the next game. Maybe a list of perks to choose from.

One bump for the night, otherwise the thread can die.

I'll post again in a few weeks when game testing is under way!

I wrote this some days ago but dont see if you reply so again:
RP text may use white font, specially if the background is a dark color, if the background is a light color may not. For most of this cards if not all I prefer white. Ask in /gd if you want more information about colors.

I know it saves a lot of time and you are working in other stuff but use a image/artwork behind the RP text like pic related. May be one different for each card-color or just the same for all of them

Gotcha, I'll experiment with some white text, or even black bordered white, either way I agree, gotta fix that

Oh fuck I completely forgot about this game.

can't wait for the release, OP. Ill put a reminder of it somewhere this time.

OP here, here's a question.

How the hell does Tabletop Simulator work? It's been suggested many many times, but I seriously cannot figure out this wonky scripting technology.

Some progress today, getting to work on weapon cards.

Sticking with the simple outline design. My detailing artwork is shit, and this saves time. Can't wait until I have the proper funds to hire actual artists.

Randomly tried this idea, turned out nicely, thoughts?

Original design just had some detail within the weapon outline. Tried a glow effect around it.

not Cones Of Dunshire?

lol I watched that episode a few days ago, everyone kept saying it

This looks like fun. Both the look of it and what I can see of the layout of gameplay.