Whats Warhammer?

you have 20 words to describe war hammer 40k to someone who's NEVER played tabletops

Shit.

HOLY ROMAN SPACE NAZIS

POSSESSED SPACE NAZIS

ALIENS OF ALL SORTS

CHAINSWORDS

PUNCHING ROBO-DAEMONS IN THE FUCKING FACE

Looks like you're on the wrong board then, user!

Starcraft as written by Jhonen Vasquez.

you just shoot the shit our of aliens with supersoldiers and shit.

>can't be on Veeky Forums unless you like shit

Sorry 40kids, but this has literally never been true.

HAA

I explained it as "Starcraft but with tiny
models you build and paint and you fight using dice" when I was in the military. Even the retarded rednecks from the South understood, but I don't have that much faith in Veeky Forums.

Closeted Englishmen play with tiny dolls.

"It's like pretending to be creative as an outlet. Y'know, like plastic crack. There's monsters and tanks I guess?:

The worst part of 40k is playing the tabletop war game.

what do you mean its always been true

>Been playing the vidya
>Looking into the board game, seems cool
>Google "Warhammer 40k books"
>There might actually be 40k different books in this universe

Jesus fucking christ, can anyone with more experience lend me a hand? Where do I start? I'm scrolling down the wiki of books and it just keeps going and going, I could read the bible 1,000 times before finishing all these

Well shoot man, the best part is few of the books are connected, unless they're part of a series like the Ciaphas Cain books.

Just tell me what you're interested in right now and I'll see if I can't get you a good suggestion(s).

>Few of the books are connected

Oh, that makes it easier. I'm interested in larger events, stuff like the horus heresy or books with emphasis on the chaos gods or larger freaky space concepts, less emphasis on individual chapter shenanigans.

Not that I dont enjoy those too, but I wanna start with the world-building stuff so I get an idea of what everything else is referencing.

Ah, cool!

For the HH, I've heard that the first five books are all good, iirc. Then it becomes pick and choose whatever you want. There's a couple suggested reading orders for all the books if you really want to get them all. My personal favorite is Angel Exterminatus.

I'm afraid I don't know a lot of the books, but for non-Space Marine stuff there's 15 Hours, the Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium! series, as well as a few others around.

Sorry if my suggestions aren't up to par, dunno much about Chaos centric-books. Though, for the HH I'm definitely sure Aurelian and the First Heretic cover a lot of that.

>I'm interested in larger events, stuff like the horus heresy or books with emphasis on the chaos gods or larger freaky space concepts, less emphasis on individual chapter shenanigans.

Badab War, First/Second/Third Armageddon War, Damocles Crusade, Macharius Crusade, any Imperial Armour campaign are the good ones.

Most of the novels cover smaller battles though.

All of science fiction mashed together, painted black, with extra skulls glued on.

I know, that's why you're here :^)

>Veeky Forums was originally created to house M:tG, D&D, and 40K

Sorry newfag, but it kind of is.

Thanks folks, still have a ton of reading to do but it helps narrow it down a bit.

A combination of all the best ideas of sci-fi/magical/dystopian warfare from the 1980's which has been occasionally updated for the past 30 years.

take standard space fantasy,take away the fun and themes of good and hope and maximize the bullshit writing and price gouging.

Absurd and interesting universe; wargame is expensive and sucks, the company's insane- play the good video games instead. Pic related.

>Every 40kfag on here thinks 40k is shit. Still plays it anyway.

Don't even bother with the war game, play the rpg's or read the Black Library Books

A beer & pretzels game with cool models. Great to have fun with your friends. Absolutely Terrible to play competitively.