EDH/Commander General

Mono-color edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Thread topic: Who is your favorite mono-color commander?

Its a little early to be making a new thread, shit user. The old one was on page 7, barely over the 300 reply limit, and night time Veeky Forums slows down incredibly.

>>Who is your favorite mono-color commander?

>tfw resolving an Aether Flash at a table with TWO token decks
Man I sure got some dirty looks that night

I like azamI best, Wizards are just so much fun

What are some "oh shit!" creatures you love to play? Preferably white (non-angel??)

What does that even mean?

Elesh Norn, Karmic Guide. Not white but Kikki-Jikki

I'm building an inexpensive Alesha deck, what's some spicy tech and what should I keep in mind while building it?

Creatures that you say 'Oh shit!' when you see them hit the board opposite you?

Ebonblade Reaper
Behind the Scenes
Break Through the Line

I too am building a somewhat cheapo Alesha deck that is based around ETB triggers and combat damage effects, it's been fun in testing if a little inconsistent

I'm not going to be needing my magic cards or edh decks very shortly, should I just burn them all or sell them dirt cheap somewhere? I don't really care about money at this point.

>spicy tech

You all niggers are listening to that bearded republican?

I don't know why he wants non angel ones, but usually an "oh shit" creature is one that makes the board take notice. If you cast mulldrifter nobody gives a fuck, if you cast avenger of zendikar people get worried, if you cast avatar of slaughter people will literally start chimping out if they don't have the removal, because the board state has just radically changed.

mail them to me

Nope. I'm not paying money to give someone like 2k worth of cards, particularly someone who lacks finesse when punctuating.

If you're interested in selling I might be in the market for some more cards.

I'm willing to come pick them up.

Sure. I have some staples, a bunch of fancy fatties, a few fancy things and a metric fuckton of commons. I just need them all gone, I need to get on with my life. I would rather the decks stay together, but Fuck if I know what happens when you get them. It's like 60lbs of cardboard.

Easy

>Oh no I didn't punctuate right on Veeky Forums
>all the anons are going to be upset
>Why didn't I just type correctly because it is the only way that someone would ever be able to criticize me.

Shut the fuck up you dumbass cunt. Burn your fucking cards, or go to your LGS and rip them up in front of everyone. Since it will fit your dick ass way of life. Record it, upload it to youtube. I wanna see it faggot.

Oh shit. I just realised you wouldn't live in the same country so it most likely wouldn't be easy shipping, sorry.

I hope you can find someone else though and a FLGS might buy them all off you quickly if you need them gone.

Jesus that last thread went fast.

I don't know if you're still here, but what are your thoughts on combining Enduring Ideal with Hive Mind?

How are you that butthurt about punctuation?

>Punctuation user is quitting magic.

Thank God, one less shitspewing troll in these threads.

What kind of curve is everyone running? I recently cut deadeye navigator from a list just because you have to put in 8 mana before it does anything, and some people think the card is good enough to be ban worthy. I think the only 8 drop in my deck is Insurrection, which pretty much wins the game if it resolves. What cost cards do you run if they don't win the game for you on the spot?
9? 8? 7? Lower?

I want to hurt my opponents. Who's a more fun commander for doing that, Anya or Hidetsugu?

I'm worried Hidetsugu will result in combo kills too often

what is a good blue white green commander?

Rafiq, room, Derevi, and angus Mckenzie are all pretty strong

Rubinia and jenara seem playable

Literally everything, I think Bant is the only colors where every legend is playable in some form.

Are you? You sure seem to be, since it comes up all the time whenever you see a sentence that doesn't end with a punctuation mark.

So, to bother Veeky Forums you just have to talk about punctuation? Neat.

Play Derevi with Winter Orb.

is Legendary Creature a good commander?

Only in certain deck.

sure

Can't you just do the same thing with voltaic key?

Let winter orb ice everybody's lands but tap it just before you untap?

Arcades and Treva are pretty ass tier.

Depends if you run magical christmasland or not.

But Derevi is a Commander who does it. So she's cool.

Very cool

I was just curious

Plus she has some other combos that fuck everyone over. Basically anything that stops things untapping is a combo with her.

Temur and Abzan, special mention to Sultai

>tfw copied the wrong thing

is Dragonlord Dromoka a good commander?

Daghatar being playable is a bit of a reach

Not really. Might be okay, but in general Trostani is better, and Kametra can do neat things too. Use what you've got, but be mindful of the future.

Sure, but there's always better ones in colours. Depends on what do you want to do, really. Sometimes I'd rather run Grand Abolisher.

Against my better judgement (and now that I know more about deckbuilding), I'm reassembling Shu Yun. Pray for me.

What if I want to run Legendary Creature in other deck?

Terrible even if you have fun and because reason.

Should I try to convince my casual group to let me play Richard Garfield, PHD?

How are Mina and Denn? I pulled them in a draft and they look... OK, if a little lackluster.

I like using them in the 99 for ANGRY OMNATH

post fun

Baru, Fist of Krosa. Nothing apeals to my inner Timmy quite like giving all my creatures +15/+15 and trample.

Shit can get stupid real quick.

I cannot stop building with red. Someone please help me.

I already know the fancy shit you can do with her.

So what are some win-cons with this brown cow?

I'm currently running Palinchron/Deadeye Navigator and the Time Walk infinite loop because none of my other decks have room for them and I have no idea what else you do to win in Simic.

Roon if you don't plan on attacking with creatures but want to use them.

Derevi if you hate your meta as much as it hates you.

Angus if you have cash money and planeswalkers

Rubinia if you want to play a specific archetype for the colors.

Just found this card. Better Story Circle? I'll take it.

Only good if you have something that produces any color of mana

>Not just running Forcefield

I've always really loved this card and apocalypse hydra and I'm curious if anyone has any spicy tech to having him be an enjoyable commander experience. Should I just make it a five color cheat big shit out deck or do something else with it I've never attempted a five color before.

You'd have better luck putting him in the 99.

No.

Can anyone post the screen capture of "leaked" 4color commanders

If you want to keep your decks together instead of selling card by card then I'm happy to buy a full deck or two, depending on the commander.

So I want to build an Abzan enchantress deck.

Which commander should I use for the deck?

Howdy Folks, I have a question.

I really love the colors in mardu and want to build a new comander deck from scratch using mardu but idk what comander to play. I own Kaalia, Zurgo, Oros, and Tariel. I wouldn't mind picking up Alesha or the new Marchesa.

I kinda want to play Kaalia( bought her last december with my christmas money for $35 bucks) but I'm not a good/cut throat enough player to really get to play her more than once and I don't want to drop a bunch of money on the deck for a rare game. I also play super casual either with my friends borrowing my decks (no one will build their own) or random games with other casuals I meet randomly.

Queen Marchesa seem right up my alley with pillowfort/stax but I think I want something radically different from my current decks.

Zurgo.dec seems super linear but really fun for a few games and would definitely shake things up at my tables. i guess i could give him assault suit and do weird politics.

Alesha is odd. I've never done hardcore reanimator but idk about the 2 power clause. Seems to have many of the same pitfalls as boros weenies.

Oros/Tariel don't seem build around enough to be anything other than utility creatures for other decks.

I don't now what i want to do but i do know i want to play mardu.

My budget is about $30/month on magic so I'd like to keep it on the cheaper end so I don't sit on a quarter/half a deck like I've done with Kaalia.

Most of my collection is RTR/Theros Block

My other decks include: DURDLY TURTLES
Derevi Tap Shenanigans
Oloro life durdle
Nekusar.dec

Thank you for the help.

#
I hate it when people don't know how to pilot their own decks or know how their own combos work.

>guy gets a shit eating grin on his face as he slams down Mike & Trike.
>"does everyone concede?"
>everybody groans
>i ask him to walk me through the combo, as that only seems fair
>he stares at his cards for five minutes
>"hmmm, I guess I need a sac outlet"
>the game continues as we quietly chuckle

Have they been leaked yet?

I doubt they're real.

Holy shit I never knew about that combo I knew what it was after reading. How stupid is this guy normally?

Has anyone put any vehicles on their decks?

I've been considering the mythic one or the one that loots.

I have an ethical dilemma Veeky Forums.

Last weekend at my local commander group, a player took what he called "optimal" a little too far IMO, and I would like some opinions on the issue.

We have a table with titania, uyo, Anafenza the foremost, skullbriar, and sharuum. Titania gets a slow start and plays his commander on curve, but it gets taken by uyo using desertion. We do another round of turns around the table before titania says "if nobody kills my commander, I'm giving uyo the game. " We do another round of turns on the table before uyo plays a flip jace and backs it up with a walk the aeons. The anafenza player then uses a path to exile on the jace to top uyo from going off.

Here is where things get ridiculous. Titania generates a bunch of mana, then copies acidic slime five times, then loops strip mine twice, utterly destroying anafenza's mana and effectively removing him from the game. When he was questioned about this sudden turn of spiteful aggression, the titania player simply said "he had path and didn't use it to hit titania earlier." The titania player then starts giving uyo a shitload of free elemental tokens and uyo crushes the game by taking extra turns.

We then had a strange and sour philosophical discussion that went in the circle of "you can't force me to play removal on the targets you want" into "You can't force me to choose not to destroy your lands."

Is spiteful politics going too far? What should a player do when they have a nuclear threat and a reason to use it?

I think the two you mentioned and the mana rock one are the most likely edh playable ones but the problem is I don't currently have a deck that can really crew a vehicle reliably, I would need something with more random bears and aggro creatures

They are all awful. I cant see them being played for anything other than a joke.

Oh yeah. I don't have any decklist for my other decks but mardu cards i think are something i might want to use and I have are.

Assemble the Legion
Mardu Ascendency
Cackling Doom
Nahiri the Harbinger (foil)
Aurelia
Tajiic
Elspeth, Suns champion
Master of cruelties
Sun Titan
Rakdos/Boros Charm
Karmic Guide
Reveillark
Mother of runes

That's probably not too helpful.

Ghave to chump things until you get your board working?
Doran to slow down aggro?
Anafenza if reanimator is a problem in your meta?
I really don't know about Abzan since nothing lends itself directly to enchantress, but BW Daxos is solid.

Is Titania that dude's fucking waifu for laifu or what

My theory is, if GW enchantress is so good (which I made a SIgarda and Jenara deck before), why not add Black and get all the amazing enchants it has to offer? Heck I could even reanimate some of the enchantresses a lot easier with Black bring backs after people think they've gotten rid of them.

What about the ones mentioned? They don't seem so bad.

Nope. The dude just forgot to get a homeward path for his deck and apparently didn't draw any way to interact with the uyo player as long as he held titania.

>Heck I could even reanimate some of the enchantresses a lot easier with Black bring backs after people think they've gotten rid of them.
In that case you could go Teneb or Karador to cut down on recursion slots, and use black mainly for tutors.

So i moved away from both of my playgroups and started playing online, and i want to keep my decks casual and fair because my rl decks are kind of bs. But i just end up getting destroyed, is there a fair causal commander that can hold its own? Currently have hazezon and karametra.

That's just petty politics, the Titania player should be embarrassed. He didn't play the game to win, or stay alive, just wanted to mess with everyone else. Complete dick.

It can be very annoying playing a team game that no one else is in on (which is essentially what happened, I still don't know why he targeted someone other than the guy who took his general, he does realize if he kills the player she will go back to the command zone right?). I would say nobody did anything wrong, but if you guys want a change of pace to stop the salt from flowing try out some team based formats (2HG, star, emperor, for 4, 5, and 6 players).

I don't put too much stock into politics because people can lie to you, or you have people holding grudges from game to game. I don't know what kind of table talk you were involved in to let it go that far. That being said posting about this was pointless if the titania player won, then this was just the optimal play

Enchantress isn't worth playing without green and white so I think you're on the right track

A lot of great enchantments deal with tokens so I could see a sweet ghave enchantress deck working well, if your meta called for it you could even slot in some combo pieces that are enchantments like Earthcraft and doubling season

Good enchantments that deal with tokens

Awakening zone/4 mana bfz version
Bitterblossom
Cathar's crusade
Saproling burst
Doubling season
Parallel lives
Honden life's web (could run the other two as well, the white is pretty weak but the black one is decent)
Intangible virtue

I used to play Selvelva ramp just to drop fatties or a huge genesis wave and it was pretty cheap online maybe $30-50 and pretty powerful, but also just fun and you can easily play to the power you want.

You are running amulet of vigor in Karametra, right?

Ghave works well with a lot of enchantments (oath of the ancient wood, doubling season, cathars' crusade, harden scales... the list goes on) but personally I like the idea of Anafenza at the helm instead. Bonus points if you run evershrike and rancor.

Reread what I said. They are all awful.
Compare those two to inferno Titan or flip jace. They are worse already, and that's not even factoring in the fact that the other two don't need to be crewed.

They are seriously all bad, in an eternal format like this there are too many good cards to even consider them.

King Macar would like a word with you.

Awww dang I do want him to be the helm sometime. Should Child of Alara be more at the helm or another 5 color?

This was passed all the way to the end at my conspiracy draft. Its a legitimate threat seeing how deck out is a real danger in those games

Smugglers copter has a niche in decks that desperately need good-rate looting, but also have tokens. Mono-white and mono-red for example. Cultivator's caravan is a mana rock of an average rate that has a place in a deck that needs a 5/5 on demand for some reason. Those two have plausible niches in non-CEDH. Most of the decks posted here aren't viable in CEDH, so it's a notable exception.

I've just retired my 15th deck. I just don't know where I'm going now.

The current remaining lineup:
Borborygmos Enraged Combo / Land Shenanigans
5 Color Zada
Tasigur Reanimator (building)
Norin ETB abuse (building) (mostly chaos-free)

What have I missed? I'm considering Rith Tokens (I've built it before, and I did enjoy it quite a bit), but I'm trying to see what other fun I may have missed out on. What's your go-to fun deck?

Pic related, it's everything I've ever built.

The problem with Progenitus as the commander is that hard cast and Command Beacon are your only ways to get him into play. Child is probably the best 5 color commander because it's a control engine by itself. It will buy you time to churn lands out of your library and set up your cheat into play effects for Blightsteel/Progenitus/etc. If you want to go rogue then Reaper King is better than people realize and gets a ton of style points.

>deck out is a real danger in those games

>draft CN2 twice
>first game nobody votes, nobody becomes monarch, nothing interesting happens
>second game picked off first while everyone ignored the guy with Weight Advantage and all the 0/4s
>nobody wanted to play a second game
still mad

Have you seen the other art? This one looks like it copied the foil wrong, check it out if you haven't seen it though

Hokori dust drinker, winter/static orb, opposition, glare of subdual, dismiss into dreams, lux cannon. Derevi is tons o fun. Dropping a fat Mikeaus wall is not bad as well since he's there to draw aggro away from other threats while able to go off on derevi at any time. Freed from the Real is an alt activator for your tap effects but umbral mantle can jump around.