I'm sick of D&D. I hate AC, I hate Challenge Rating, and most of all...

I'm sick of D&D. I hate AC, I hate Challenge Rating, and most of all, I fucking hate levels and having to give out "XP" for battles. Unfortunately, my players are illiterate cro-magnons, so they refuse to learn a new system.

Fortunately, I think I've come up with a reasonable work around. Every week, my plan is to introduce a new houserule that we'll be "trying out".
>Week 1: Roll under mechanic. Now, you roll under your ability score instead of using a modifier
>Week 2: get rid of AC, each type of armor reduces damage done based off of type of damage dealt. Also, you get a chance to dodge or parry each attack. Start using 2d10 instead of 1d20 for ability checks.
>Week 3: Give players the option to buy any feat from any class at any level for a certain number of experience points.
>Week 4: Change Consolidate Wisdom and Intelligence, and get rid of the Charisma stat. If the character has higher than average CHA, charge extra XP (now simply called 'character points') for a feat, or give extra XP for low CHA
>Week 5: Give out points for roleplayed personality traits. If a character has a positive trait that makes them stronger, they can take a feat for it. If they have a trait that makes them weaker, give points for it.
>Week 6: change all dice to d6. Convert damage to d6, and make ability checks with 3d6 instead of 2d10.
>Week 7: teleport characters to Russia in 1917, where they fight shapeshifting beavers with FTL technology
How long do you think it will be before they realize we're just playing GURPS?

I'd start calling shenanigans around week 2 or 4, I think.
Week 1 looks cosmetic (unless of course you fuck up implementation) and week 3 is a great idea.

>not being able to come to a consensus by communicating with your group like civil adults

They'll never realize you're playing Gurps, because nobody plays Gurps. Nobody plays Gurps because Gurps is an unholy mess.

Also, anyone in your group who can math-hammer is going to catch on that you're up to something on week 2 with the adjustment to AC. I think it's worth pointing out that you're adding an extra roll to the process (if it's free, nobody's ever not going to try to dodge or parry) without removing a roll in compensation, which will slow down the game to a nonzero degree. On week 1, they might just think you're trying for the simplicity of AD&D skill checks.

I'll be really fucking suspicious around week 2, and I'll be calling quits around week 4. I don't think I'll realize that we're playing GURPS (nobody plays GURPS), but it wouldn't really matter.

The ignorant will think of a toad caught in a pot on slow boil... the enlightened will see you're liberating your them.

And you're deceiving your own group passive-aggressively... why?

Because some people forget the main component of RPG's. Blame video games.

There's a special kind of crazy person on Veeky Forums.

They can't get over the fact that D&D is popular. It eats them up inside. It makes them upset and angry and insane, and they make posts like this because they feel lonely and ineffectual.

>They can't get over the fact that D&D is popular.
If you've watched as much of the D&D process as some have, you would be mystified, too
KODT stopped being funny years ago. Now it serves as aversion therapy and a handy PTSD trigger.

If the GM is forced to run a system they despise for a group of people unwilling to try anything new, then they deserve it. I was in a similar boat; I discussed that I wasn't having fun and was getting burned out, and my group refused to try anything else. I didn't want to abandon the group, and I truly believed they would have fun with another system if they just gave it a shot. Some "home rules" later, look at that, turns out they liked it and everyone had fun.

It's like getting your child to eat something different. Yes, you are decieving them, but at a point it becomes a necessity. If you can't force and don't trick them into somethign new, you'll end up with someone like my cousin that's 7 years old and eats literally nothing by cherios and penut butter.

And yes, I do belive that comparing players to bratty children with shitty diets is accurate a depressing amount of the time.

>And yes, I do belive that comparing players to bratty children with shitty diets is accurate a depressing amount of the time.
Find a different group. It would be better for everyone.

Mayhaps it would be different for everyone if you never DMed again, you selfish, delusional mouthbreather.

GURPS is shit though.

Why? We all had and still have fun.

> I didn't want to abandon the group
Faggot

Probably people who never DM'd and really like D&D?

>I hate AC
Use alternate DR rules for armor.

>I hate CR
then determine what you consider appropriate challenges for your players. Don't look at it.

>I hate levels and giving out XP
Levels are inherent, sorry. If you don't like giving out XP though use milestones.

You're the cro-magnon and you're a shit DM who wants the system to do everything for him. Please go back to playing video games.

>>Week 1: Roll under mechanic. Now, you roll under your ability score instead of using a modifier

Okay. I'd mumble something about THAC0 but I'd be able to live with it

>>Week 2: get rid of AC, each type of armor reduces damage done based off of type of damage dealt. Also, you get a chance to dodge or parry each attack. Start using 2d10 instead of 1d20 for ability checks.

I'd start having suspicions at this point. You're clearly trying to go for normal distribution and I'd expect the 3d6 soon.

>>Week 3: Give players the option to buy any feat from any class at any level for a certain number of experience points.

This is where you'd lose me. You're removing classes and leveling up as a mechanism. It's an okay way to handle character growth but if I want to play a game where leveling up isn't central to the game, I'll just play something other than D&D. Hell, the whole reason I still play it is because sometimes I just want to play a tabletop game with emphasis on game.

I'd just suggest we switch systems at this point

>"you still playing D&D on Saturday?"
>"naw. the DM added a bunch of weird house rules and nobody knew how to win anymore."
>"why'd he do that?"
>"some kind of beaver-transformation fetish i guess? not sure, i left when he ruled that all my clerical buffs spells were invalid"

>GM my homebrew every week
>players thank me each time and tell me how much they're looking forward to next session

you guys don't know whwt you're missing out on

The DM needs to have fun too. He isn't running the fucking game out of the goodness of his heart. If he is he needs to stop that shit.

>If the GM is forced to run a system they despise

>"despising" D&D

Man, you're some weird kind of joker, aren't you? We're not talking about something like getting stabbed in the kidneys or drinking draino, we're talking about a roleplaying game that's really not all that different from the skeleton that forms all roleplaying games. In fact, you could even call it the skeleton that forms the core of all modern roleplaying games.

If you "despise" a system that much, you've got bigger issues than rolling d20s.

>we're talking about a roleplaying game that's really not all that different from the skeleton that forms all roleplaying games
>In fact, you could even call it the skeleton that forms the core of all modern roleplaying games.

>actually believing this

D&D babby spotted

>I fucking hate levels and having to give out "XP" for battles.

OSR didn't involve as much proactive experience tracking. XP was generally equivalent to how much treasure the party amassed, and tallied up whenever the party decided to camp, end the adventure for that day, or reached some other kind of intermission.

You could always pick up some older (pre-AD&D) books and give that a shot, or download a retroclone like classic Labyrinth Lord.

cro-magnons had larger brains than modern humans you know

>Switching to GURPS rather than sticking with D&D
You are doing the right thing user

Elephants have larger brains than modern humans, what's your point?

>implying elephant aren't smarter than us.
If they had hands humanity would be over

>what's your point?
elephants did 9/11

The humans know, shut it down!

This made my day. Thank you.

Week 8: bring out WFRP 2e.