/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Board wipe edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/howdy-partner-2016-10-24
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Arena_(novel)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not familiar with the character, but I assume that's a complete flavor design. As it's insane otherwise.

More or less. How best to balance it? Yeah, I am that bad at balancing.

Would there be a way to make rebound work on this? I'm not sure if it would cast next turn due to wording.

Use the wording from Soulfire Grand Master or use Suspend 1 or something similar.

>When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell from your hand this turn, it gains rebound.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/howdy-partner-2016-10-24

Fucking hell, should've made this Partner edition.

Perfect, thank you!

Posting bad ideas. A bit of interest in this last thread but we'll see where it goes this time.

I will say that I understand these might have to be reworded for one of two reasons: either it's too confusing and would work better by linking it to the creature then letting the creature tap in addition to requiring you pay the exiled card's cost, then you cast a copy from exile. OR, it's too much of a "you'd need new Comp Rules and that's no bueno" issue and that'd necessitate a similar change in wording, I think. But other than that, it seems like it could be fun. I did a demo for every color, even though it started out as a UBr concept.

I'm making a set with -1/-1 counters. There's quite a lot of cool stuff you can do with them.

Repeatable omni-destruction is not okay at five mana. Angel of Despair kills one permanent, once, at seven mana.
Also, if you build your deck right, and it dies, you will almost always win.
Weird to see a living bomb that isn't red.

You know what would be interesting? If it used -1/-1 counters instead of plague counters. Provides a hard limit on a very powerful control effect.

Thing is, even if you overprice these by a shitload, they're still too strong when repeated. Adding a "discard a card" to the glyph cost would go a long way to fixing this.

I tried this; more power to your if you can manage it. I'm not saying the design space is narrow; I'm saying I'm terribly uncreative. I'd love to see someone pull it off, but people tend to like +1/+1 counters better so you might meet a bit of resistance to the notion. I'd personally like to see it. Get yourself a set symbol so we know what cards are associated with your set. Card seems fine; green easily gets 5/5s for 5 at uncommon and it kills itself to not die, so it's diminishing returns. No trample means it can be chumped so that helps keep it fair.

Forgot to mention that I like the concept.

>Repeatable omni-destruction is not okay at five mana.
Yeah, didn't think so. Maybe...
>XWB, T: Destroy target nonland permanent with converted mana cost X or less.
Kinda wanted land destruction, but I can see why it's not the best thing to have.

>Also, if you build your deck right, and it dies, you will almost always win.
Should I just get rid of that aspect entirely? Or limit it somehow?

>Weird to see a living bomb that isn't red.
I thought about it, but that would really restrict what he could destroy. It seems that targeted Red destruction doesn't really hit anything but artifacts and lands, and I want this to at least hit creatures. Though, strangely, Red can boardwipe pretty much everything. Probably going to do an Obliterate reprint with Human Bomb art though.

>Dr. Death
Feels kinda odd for the ability to threaten to kill him as well. Though I will rebalance it somehow. Might just make it a flat effect.

>card
Eh... Not sure about this. I guess it's fine for an uncommon.

Well, my thought was that since you have to have the Glyph card to cast it to get the effect, as long as I cost them similarly to Cipher cards, it's alright because you're paying mana and tapping instead of dealing combat damage. If these abilities were just straight up on a creature, they'd be overpowered, but the fact that you have to have the card, cast it, then get the activated ability I think softens the blow a little. Ain't saying it's perfect, but I think it's worth exploring. Of course, if it balances better, I'm not that opposed to making them turn your creatures into Spellshapers; I love Spellshapers. I'm just seeing about what can be done to keep it as low-drag as possible.

Well thanks man, glad you do. It's not often I come up with something people like, sad to say.

Student seems fine. At first I was going to ask why he doesn't just filter the mana himself, but in the case of sets that care about artifacts, it can matter and the extra step really isn't that big a deal.

Going by Gold tokens, I think it should say
>Sacrifice this artifact

Having to deal combat damage is a much riskier proposition than a tap. They should be much closer to creature abilities than spells.

>Human Bomb
Oh wait, I forgot I was looking at High Priest of Penance before. How's this?

This compares more to phyrexian obliterator than it does to HPoP.

Oh yeah, forgot about that guy. Though that effect isn't what I'm going for, I want destruction, not sac.

Well you have a guy that locks an opponent out of attacking you without evasion and kills one of their lands/important permanents every turn unless they have non damage removal.

Well if that's the case, then I suppose I can take the Spellshaper route with them. Shame about the extra wordiness, but I guess it's necessary to make the keyword work. Also, speaking of that, do we like Glyph or Rote better? Rote makes more grammatical sense, if that matters.

I like this version; feels like Stuffy Doll and Vindicate had a baby.

Ugh, I dunno, do you have any ideas?

OK, maybe
>Whenever damage is dealt to ~, it deals that much damage to each other creature and each player.

Sounds somewhat like Souls of the Faultless, but it'd have to be RW if it dealt straight retributive damage. It'd have to be lifeloss if it were black.

Jesus, this got way more complex than I thought it would. Last idea for now: The same as but the targets are chosen at random, and HB can't target himself.

Ugh, or it would just have to be a trigger on attack or combat damage to a player. I guess I could live with that, but I would be disappointed.

Inspired by the 4 colour commanders.

Let's do a mox, sure. What could go wrong?

I don't think eldrazi need any more acceleration.

Missing legendary.

Looks fine, 3/3 for BRGW isn't going to scare anyone.

Why not just a blanket tap for C to fit in with the other moxes?

page 10 bump

Looks fine, although pretty high on value.

Just my take on a black Simian Spirit Guide. Figured it'd rather play from the yard than the hand.

>whenever ~ would be dealt damage, prevent that damage. If you do, put a -1/-1 counter on it.

If not when.

Yeah, I didn't exactly bother to look up a correct wording.

>If ~ would be dealt damage, prevent that damage and put a -1/-1 counter on it.

I think you mean "Battle Royale", "Battle Royal" would be something like

>Each creature deals damage equal to its power to the monarch.

That's actually a common misconception. I looked it up before I made the card name.

super peeved that they just put random abilities on partner cards instead of making cards that would, you know, actually be cool partnering up with other legends.

Extremely fun design space to work with, though.

>samurai without bushido
reeeeeeeeeeeeee

aw fuck, I missed the perfect opportunity

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaboo

bushi tenderfoot says hi.

I missed my chance to joke about the 4-color commanders being split cards.
Little did I know that that was actually going to be what they were based around.

Bushi tenderfoot isn't a samurai. It's a soldier, the flip side is a samurai. And it has bushido. There are no samurai without bushido.

you were totally right tho

he'll be a samurai one day

Figured I'd try my hand at making the transforming weapons into a mechanic

The commanders so far are pretty lackluster.

>double strike and lifelink
>lackluster
inb4 le boros sucks because combat is boring meme

Uninteresting might be a better word then.

Tryin' a full cycle for each two color combo. Really like how Dimir turned out.

probably works better like this, Sakashima considered

>Lazav without Hexproof or mill interaction

m8 wot r u doin

I wasn't aware that Lazav could have a partner.

Also wasn't aware Lazav could copy commanders. You know, considering they never enter graveyards...

>they never enter graveyards
>not using graveyard recursion to tuck into hand and avoid casting costs
wew

yeah, and Haakon makes a great commander because he can steal infinite babies. Right guys?

>Haste, first strike
>T: ~ deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player. Activate this ability only if ~ is equipped.

I wasn't sure on how much p/t would be fair.

I know this probably isn't the best place, but where would I find information on the Arena novel characters? I'm wanting to put together some cards for them and can remember basics, such as one was greedy and one was fat, but don't remember which was who and other specifics. The wiki is... lacking

Any thoughts on P/T? She's kind of meant for commander (Though that being said, I'm not too familiar with commander), and she's meant to be really anti-red, and 7 toughness is pretty good at keeping her from being burned out while still leaving her vulnerable (Disregarding her ability) to other forms of removal

Any suggestions on how I can cut down on text while maintaining some of the flavor of the card? He's meant to feel like a mythic being who watches over all living things and makes sure that the circle of life is going as it should.

Tell me exactly what you're trying to do with this.

She's meant to slow a game down to her pace, with her ability punishing players for being overly aggressive and playing low end cards. Particularly, mono red is meant to have a lot of difficulty dealing with her, though I don't really want her to be too strong against all the other colors.

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Arena_(novel)

>mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Arena_(novel)
>The wiki is... lacking

>Whenever an opponent casts a spell from his or her hand, exile it. Put a time counter on the exiled card. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.
>X: Put target suspended card with converted mana cost X or less on the bottom of its owner's library. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability.
I don't get why it needs the last ability to be activated by anyone though.

B

Sorcery

You draw a card and lose 1 life.

Obsess 1B (you may cast this spell for its obsess cost. If you do, you may search your library for a card with the same name as this card, reveal it and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library. )

I'd love to find more art to make a cycle.

I'd rather use Replicate.

doot

I would've expected it to make tokens based on Equipment, at least going by the name.

Remove the other other from his second ability, because even theros gods count the devotion they gain from themselves.
Change
>on all creatures
to
>on each creature on the battlefield.
or
>on each creature you control.

I would raise the equip cost to 3

Seems great, really patriotic.

Well, my Idea was something around an armed ragtag militia formed to defend their town from invaders (that's why call to arms), where each land was a town. But yours is great, too.

>card
I would lower the cost to 2BB, but due that second ability 3BB seems like a fair cost.

New Phantom Lady. Note that the first ability isn't Hexproof, and can target things you don't control.

>I would raise the equip cost to 3
Sounds good.

>Seems great, really patriotic.
Thanks, though I changed it to get away from counters. Now it's a +1/+1 pump and your choice of a keyword (haste, vigilance, flying).

>Well, my Idea was
OK, I can see that. Though I guess my problem is that counting lands is way more Green's thing. Actually, a quick query on MagicCards for the string
>each land you control
or
>number of lands you control
found 0 in mW, 2 in mU (one is Terraformer, which affects lands, not count them), 2 in mB (and one of them is Herald of Leshrac, which has its own twist on this), 1 in mR, and 12 in mG. And for the 6 in multicolor, ever single one but Dakkon has G in it.

I guess you could count Plains since it seems like every color can count its land type without issue. Or maybe leave it as-is and just add G. I guess in that case it would be easy to justify by making them Human tokens, since you could then point to Innistrad's Human GW tribe.

>Dr. Death
That, and there's already a legendary enchantment that does -1/-1 for all creatures at 2BB. I guess making him a creature could be used to justify it having the same cost... but yeah, I'd rather play it safe for now.

Her first ability is Canopy Cover's "offensive hexproof" which is green innit?

Black Condor. Not entirely sure where to take him, since he boils down to "angry, strong, flies".

I honestly don't know what color "offensive Hexproof" is in. Really, I think it's more of a "bug" than an intended ability since all the cards with it were made before Hexproof was a keyword.

Decided to see what sort of room Partner has to play around with. First of the House Masters

I guess its going to count Plains instead.

>Dr. Death
If its was only that second ability, 2BB would be fine, it would be like a magus of night's reach (or betrayal ?) from kamigawa, but with deathtouch and that third ability, it has to be 3BB.

>Stormy Knight
It would be a really annoying in commander.

>Dr. Death
Night of Souls' Betrayal.

>Stormy Knight
Hmm, up the cost? I want to keep the ability as-is.

Still trying to balance Human Bomb.

>Stormy knight
Hmm, yeah. I think that for 3WU it would be nicer.

>Andy
I would change his cost to 2WBR, and his second ability's cost to being just T.

>Stormy Knight
I meant upping the cost of the ability, but OK.

>Andy
Unfortunately, I just came up with another design as well. I don't want to post it because I think HB has taken up enough space already, but it removes the first two abilities and replaces them with "2: Prevent the next 1 damage to ~, when you do, put a charge counter on ~." basically.

>Retaliation
I think it should give you the choice to have it deal damage, otherwise it can tie the game in some cases. Very rare cases, but still, it's not very hard to fix.

Also, I feel like I should recognize you. Are you Savage user?

>Stormy
>andy
That works too

>it deal damage,
You mean directly to the player ?

>Are you Savage user?
I don't think so, I'm the horsemanship user.

>converted mana cost X or less

>You mean directly to the player ?
No, say
>[...] damage, you may have it deal that much damage to target creature [...]
The "you may" should prevent a tie.

The four color Commanders spurred me to do this.

I know. For some reason MSE has a hard time recognizing that, and I forgot to fix it.

He can't be me; Horsemanshipanon makes decent cards.

This Stargirl makes more sense, but I worry about the cost of it all. Cheap tutors are abusable tutors. But, artifact tutoring is traditionally cheaper so... I honestly dunno all told.

>Solitude
I'll take one in monoblack instead.
>Ignorance
I'd prefer the last ability on a cheaper creature, personally. Also if these dudes are supposed to be Commander Gods, I'd think they'd have abilities that do things when they aren't on the battlefield, like gods tend to do from their homes in the clouds or whatever.
>Indolence
This is interesting. Not sure if too oppressive, but at the cost.. what the hell, why not.
>Life
Hah. HAHA. I love it.
>Scarcity
This is a neat ability, but I'd rather the first mirrored the last with respect to creatures somehow.

I like this version much better.

How much should this cost? (Assuming it has GUR)
>Counter target spell. Distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.

???
Seems more GWU than URG, your mana drain for +1/+1.
1GWU

>Stargirl
Based on Lin Sivvi. And I'm not too afraid since you still have to pay the equip cost, and outside of Living Weapon, Equipments aren't direct threats.

>Mech Batsuit
Thanks.

URG because the original idea is inspired by... Trap Essence, I think its name is. Though GWU does make sense.

This costs 4UU when attached to a creature (Draining Whelk), but that puts all the counters on one creature. I'd cost it conservatively at 2GWU.

>Lin Sivvi
I figured, but also remember Equips are more universally useful in any shell than Rebels. You have a point about them not necessarily being immediate threats though.

Speaking of equips, that gives me an idea.

This seems fun. Though I think I'd make it an ETB trigger, so it can interact with things like flicker or recursion.

>Lin Sivvi
I realize that.

Oh, and this is a problem I've been stumbling on for a while now: Is there any good way to portray a character who can turn himself to light and back? One of the Freedom Fighters characters does that, and I have no clue how to go about doing that.

Goddamn the spacing on this image is fucked. I'll try to fix it.

I actually was going to make it an ETB trigger but this way reads a bit better and is a touch less wordy somehow. Being able to flicker it to make it better is a decent idea though. Hm.

>coat
This looks pretty alright.

>light
Need more details. Do they end up still being able to interact with things? Or are they literally made of light and therefore intangible. Because if the latter, you could make them become an Enchantment until end of turn and lose all abilities. Or, you could use phasing.

>details.
Light isn't intangible. How do you think lasers work? Anyway, I'm just going to let Wikipedia explain it for me. The character is Ray Terrill, superhero name... The Ray.
>Ray absorbs, stores and processes light; uses the energy to fly and create destructive bursts of coherent radiation. His energy capacity is virtually limitless. He is capable of manipulating light externally to create illusions and even solid light constructs, as well as render himself and others invisible He can convert his body completely into any wavelength on the EM Spectrum. No physical harm from impact can come to him in this form (as demonstrated when Lobo punched Ray through his skull[9]). This process can also be used to "reset" damage that his physical form has already sustained (seen in the story "Ray Gets Shot In The Head[10]" where a bullet was lodged at the base of his skull; Ray was told by doctors he would be paralyzed from the neck down, but after turning to his energy form the damage was healed instantly). As pure energy, he can travel at the speed of light and cross space unassisted.

>phasing
Pic related. Though I wouldn't oppose using flicker.