So I heard Veeky Forums likes Five Star Stories?

So I heard Veeky Forums likes Five Star Stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QU5pMBLfobk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I tried. Really, I did.

I watched the movie, and it felt like an extended teaser, touching on ideas I wanted to see explored but leaving me unsatisfied, so I went looking for the comic to read, hoping it would provide a more structured narrative.

Instead of finding answers, I just found more questions, and while there's something about the comic's style that I find intriguing, the plot is just too weak to keep me interested.

And, I love the clothing designs, because they look like what a mechanical enthusiast might design with many outfits looking best suited for robots rather than humans, but I don't really love all the mech designs, because many look like what a fashion designer would create to walk down a runway during a robot-themed show.

this sums up my thoughts almost perfectly.

i really like the idea of FSS and i really want to like it but the actual thing has left me disappointed.

It's a very interesting series that feels like it was made for several different pieces of media in mind. Not just a manga, but an anime series, video games, card games, etc. The way it's set up as a manga it is physically impossible to "finish". It feels like more should have been done with it.

>And, I love the clothing designs, because they look like what a mechanical enthusiast might design with many outfits looking best suited for robots rather than humans, but I don't really love all the mech designs, because many look like what a fashion designer would create to walk down a runway during a robot-themed show.

Now that's a different opinion. Usually I see people complaining about the skinny character designs and praising the mecha designs (other than the the Gothicmade stuff).

You know the author was a fashion designer right?

If that's true, that makes a lot of sense.

Fatimas have cute outfits. The outfits are the best part of Five Star Stories.

Nagano has worn a lot of hats in his time.

LED Mirage burns Elder God Demonbane with his flamethrower.

He likes giving them to his robots too.

Skirts as well.

Here's a preemptive thank you for those nightmares.

Fatimas are so cute.

They've got nice legs. Especially Ikuhara.

I KNOW I SURE DO. It's wonderfully nutso and dumb. Nagano's a crazy madman who's impossible to work with and it shows so hard.

The way it tells its stories is weird, but I found extremely engrossing. It's kinda neat the mecha have extensive point-defence weapons, too.

All in all I really like it. I suppose its idea of a nutso feudal future has been an influence on my own creations.

...That, and I wanna marry the jagd mirage. The orange one, specifically.

>Now that's a different opinion. Usually I see people complaining about the skinny character designs and praising the mecha designs (other than the the Gothicmade stuff).

People who complain about the character designs are /a/ babies who are only used to seeing the same moeblob every year and get turned off whenever they see something that steps outside the norm.

I'm not sure how I would describe the character designs for FSS. They're fairly retro but at the same time fresh and unique.

>>extensive point defense weapons

Every damned notch on the armor is most likely some manner of CIWS laser or something. So many point defense laser banks, it would make a Bolo tank blush.

There, I said it. Even a Bolo tank.

>fairly retro

Didn't Nagano work for Miyazaki at one point? The way he draws is similar to how Miyazaki draws comics, iirc?

I'm fond enough of it, dunno why, that I'm having a bit of a bother dealing with the lack of translations past whatever volume it was it ends at.

It explains fatima physiology for one thing.

I've heard people link FSS and Nausicaa in spirit, I'm trying to remember if anything was said about employment while they were at it.

No, he was closely linked to a lot of Tomino's projects in the 1980s, especially Heavy Metal L-Gaim which is pretty much the dry-run for Five Star Stories; in fact, it was Nagano's dislike for how the series turned out (him having contributed a ton of material towards it) that led him to start work on FSS.

Gothicmade looks eerily similar to a Miyazaki/Ghibli movie. But I don't think the two have ever worked with one another.

youtube.com/watch?v=QU5pMBLfobk

>BD never

I'm still mad.

That scroll was fucking sexy as fuck.

L-GAIM. There's a name to conjure with.

I love 70s and 80s robot show names.

ADJECTIVE NOUN GIBBERISH is the best way to name any robot.