EDH/Commander General

Already Sick of Spoilers Edition

Previous Thread

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Mwr3HimyrJU
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wild-gruudstuff/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-the-genius-powerhouse/?cat=custom&sort=
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1st for card draw

I believe it's often described as "Draw, Go" style of play where you do almost nothing but counter your opponents everything and then maybe play the game later on.

Has anyone tried out Gutter Grime? Is it decent Wrath protection?

Is mayonnaise a card advantage?

It just seems really slow. A 5-mana enchantment should probably be doing more for you than popping out X/X's every once in a while.

its okay, at least makes them use enchantment removal before wrath, worth trying out but ive had more success with fresh meat

1st for punchable smirk

If you put a lot of mayo on the table and people are afraid to place their cards on it, but you aren't then yes I guess it is.

Is this a real spoiler?

>thromak vs xenagos
>super scared of my roomie's thromak deck
>famous for quickly snowballing out of control
>my xenagos deck is newer but was constructed from a deck that my friends were already afraid of
>he starts building up respectable token base
>i get down elvish piper and start dropping my timmy shit
>end up keeping him under control with a 200/200 Hamletback with Lightning Greaves
>he's salty as fuck and i feel bad

sorry for tl;dr. feel guilty, and I just wanted to have fun with him.

I want to get him something super cool for his thromak deck because me and him like giving each other cards. he has all the budget typical stuff, so any secret tech i can give him?

I dunno, don't look at me.

If the purpose is wrath protection it seems fine though.

Fresh Meat is super good. Nothing wrong with both though.

Yup!

youtu.be/Mwr3HimyrJU

I can't even consider playing cards like Elvish Piper because a high priority 1/1 will never ever survive a turn.

I have a deck it would fit into perfectly but it just didn't work.

I am in love with this card

Anything that produces tokens or gives trample is good for Thromok.

Loxodon Warhammer?

Yavimaya Hallow for when somebody inevitably spot removes his Thromok.

I think Pytotitan is pretty cool.

It's hard to say without already knowing what he has or your budget.

Got myself Burgeoning and New Emrakul, which cards should I cut to get those 2 in?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/wild-gruudstuff/

ive had nutty plays with elvish piper like lightning greaves it up and have seedborn muse going to cheat a shitload of things into play but i ended up cutting it too because i like to minimize the number of cards that "need help to be good" if that makes sense

>Pytotitan
Phytotitan.

Keeps coming back after being devoured.

>tfw the only remotely interesting cards are Guay basic lands

>rebuilding outdated deck
>I'll wait until c16 comes out to see if there will be anything cool!
>never should have waited.

I like the manarock.

Meh. I'd rather play gilded lotus.

Oh come on. I really like the idea of ludevic + kraum at the head of an izzet legendary hall of fame deck

What was he even salty about? That he wasn't winning?

whynotboth.jpg

Also I have multiple 5 color decks, and the rock can tap for any combination of mana, unlike the gilded lotus.

I run 10 shocks/fetches in the 5 color decks too so domain should be guaranteed before I get 5 mana.

Definitely worth running.

I actually like the gay greeks. Their not all that powerful but it's always good to get more group hug.

Two 5cmc mana rocks seems a little much.

maybe undergrowth champion

how many games have you played with this deck? seems like your card draw and land count are pretty low for what youre going for

It's better than Gilded Lotus in any deck that runs 4 or more colors. The fact that it can tap for it's own CMC in 5color decks as early as turn 3 is ridiculous.

And before anyone asks, assuming you play it on turn 2 and each land you play is an ABU Dual then you'll have all basic land types on 3 lands.

i whipped him in tiny leaders because i run a mono red burn deck. he was kinda mad i was just repeatedly stompin him.

You're absolutely right. It is awesome in magical christmas land.

anybody know what it says?

20-ish. The land-count is fine with all the ramp available, plus the meta here is pretty casual, so slow games.

4: Scry 1, then reveal the top. If it's a land, put onto the battlefield tapped. Otherwise, draw a card.

>tiny leaders
I'd be mad from having to play that too.

That's actually not bad, is it?

Why not use the 4 colour commanders to make a deck out of legends you like but can't use together because of colour identity problems.

An example would be Artaxa,just run her with every Legendary Creature that cares about +1/+1 counters...Oh and a bunch of spells that do that as well.

ugh these guys just keep getting more and more boring
only one more to go, I suppose

>tfw Lorwyn will never get a new card in a commander product

Paying 4 to set a land or draw a card isn't bad or even that great. It's certainly not exciting.

No that's actually really fucking good, definitely adding it as one of my 99 in my Rashmi deck.

I play so much top manipulation already so I'll always know when a land is on top.

Boring? I've liked almost each one so far. What do you expect? I love their cheap and usually reliable effects.

The point is is that it doesn't need magical christmas land to be good. Its 5 mana in a 5 color deck or 4 in a 4 color. That's better than Gilded Lotus already.

>U/G

Of course it wasn't going to be bad. Two cost too, huh? Neato.

Hi there.

I honestly think the card draw cleric and mini Kruphix are hands down the best.

Cannot cannot wait for Ikra Shidiqi, my snake goddess. Confirmed black green and counter related, j wonder what she'll do? If she's playable by her own, this whole thing will have been a success for me

People actually liked Lorwyn, so don't expect to go back to it anytime soon.

It coming into play tapped is a major demerit.

So no, it's not better, but still really good.

>Black red partner
>selesnya partner, that kind of unblockable is NOT a common effect in those colors
>crazy blue token copy thing
>selfless squire
>breya
>akiri is a pretty scary voltron thing in terms of raw stats and you can get access to a lot of colors.

There's a few cool toys.

It's definitely a lil uninspired. Partners in particular, I think it's safe to say, were played a lil too generic and safe. But there's some decent gems here and there. Still missing the last golgari partner.

>it's on a Janky group hug card
Might as well not exist.

There is also flame kin village. But that is only played in elemental decks.

Akiri and Ravos were tailor made for me, and selfless squire is my new favorite card. It's like Zarya from Overwatch, sucking up all that damage

>Never again will we see an awesome Celtic-myth inspired storyline, cards, setting, without humans
>Now everything is Jacetice League adventures
>The uncomfortable realization that the Jacetice League actually started with Lorwyn

Every clan got a new legend except the Temur. They're by far my least favorite and I'm still upset.

Hello.

>People actually liked Lorwyn
They really didn't. They liked the powerful cards, sure. But the bitching about the setting and art was fucking incessant, because it wasn't generic cool guy stuff and stuff intentionally looked kinda doofy and whimsical.

>ravos
Yeah, it's not very different or special, but I like what it does quite a bit. I'm making an orzhov deck with Ravos and the blind gal for a fun little tokens/sac build. I like that there's an option for that now outside of teysa that doesn't paint itself into the combo corner.

Nice

Thats actually pretty good on getting your opponents things killed

I hate Jace so goddamn much. That character looks like an edgy 15-year old designed himself as magic card.

Wayne Reynolds illustrating from beyond the grave!

bear in mind that they'd have to put the gatewatch on it for some reason which,
sort of isn't possible seeing as how the first time they were "there" they actually weren't because the first planeswalkers were supposed to be printed in time spiral, but wizards didn't think they were ready (they weren't, they were actually played sideways back then.) so they were pushed back into lorwyn.

>But the bitching about the setting and art was fucking incessant, because it wasn't generic cool guy stuff and stuff intentionally looked kinda doofy and whimsical.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the best mythology, best races, best no-need-for-humans, Rebecca Guay galore (especially Bitterblossom).

You can pretend it didn't happen all you like, but it's actually one of the things I remember most about Llorwyn: how fucking upset the fucking manchildren were that a setting had the gall to not be generically "cool" or "grand" looking.

i dont really see all that much ramp, but anyway my point is that you have all this extra land drop stuff and not that many lands

35 lands is what i normally run but ive had to take out extra land drop stuff because 35 was not enough to take advantage of all the extra land drops

if it works for you thats good though

Reading a couple of the latest posts in blogatog it seems I was right when I shitposted about them making this year's product shit so we would stop asking for 4color and other "problematic" design spaces.

what i recall people disliking about lorwyn was faeries being OP and manabases being too shitty for awesome 5-color elemental decks

You remember very wrong. The manabases at the time were the most degenerate in magic's history, next to battle for zendikar with fetches. Jund decks would consider splashing blue for cryptic command. Control decks would curve cloudthresher into cancel/firespout and then cruel utlimatum. It was not a good time for magic.

>hating lorwyn
This makes me so sad as a newer player(started in Theros), because I started the game in a meta that was super into tribal. I came to love the flavor and the whimsy and shit, it's really what I associate heavily with magic. Knowledge of phyrexians and eldrazi and bolas came later, after the fairy tales and fun.

>jund decks would consider splashing blue for cryptic command

jeez i dont remember that at all

maybe i just couldnt afford the good lands at the time? what were people using?

Reflecting pool + vivid lands

maybe it wasnt the lands then i just remember i wanted elementals to be good but it wasnt

i definitely remember faeries being OP

>non-legends continue to be the most interesting new cards
at least it isn't blue

Enjoy your supbar Lotus that requires hoops to jump through.

Sure buddy. I'll just attack you and play a single spell a turn. Niv-Mizzet says hello.

Agnus Mckenzie tells you in a Scottish accent to lube up son.

I don't understand the Rakdos hype. The Time Spiral legend does it so much better. I'll give you the GW guy being unique, but it's still really meh. And sure the fish is decent, but the epitome of win-more.

As it should be. Five colour good stuff is boring as it is, let alone pretending leaving out a single colour would suddenly lead to interesting gameplay. It's not. It won't.

I just love it when the general MTG public keeps whining for something that's just terrible, and how they complain harder when their concept gets thrown in the shithouse.

This...

Actually looks pretty fun. Definitely has a place in my Rakdos Control.

Why do people do this? Respond to 5 people and then just write moronic one-liners. Whenever I look through the responses to actual posts this cluttered crap comes up all the time. Can I somehow auto hide posts that respond to several posts?

>jump through hoops

Oh shit, my 10 fetches and 10 shocks sure make domain a lot of hoops to jump through. It's as if my goal every game wasn't already to make sure I had every color available as fast as possible.

A bobbity boopie

I want to play this guy, but knowing my playgroup they'll just attack me until he's dead or I'm dead

>Why do people do this?
Same reason he posted the first post. To harvest easy (you)s. Attention whores are nothing new.

Will somebody please critique my humble Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rakdos-the-genius-powerhouse/?cat=custom&sort=

I'm gonna try it out in Queen Marchesa pillowfort shit, I like the idea of forcing people to fight each other because it's a pain in the ass to attack me, even if it blows up in my face a lot.

Mardu control

Lorwyn and Shadowmoor blocks were fucking amazing. Wouldn't have my og general Doran without them.

Blame it on this stupid idea that R&D has about players wanting to have relatable characters so they HAVE to include dark skinned, gay, transgender humans in every fucking set now.

There's no we'll ever go back to Lorwyn without it getting infested with shitty political idealogies. I say just leave it as it is. Please WOTC, don't revisit Lorwyn because you'll just muck it up with shit.

how likely is that they reprint doubling season in the non-red deck?

Won two games tonight, which is unusual for me. Zada deck went well with Siege Gang Commander on third to last turn and Goblin Rally on second to last turn, both with Purphoros down. Coat of arms on the final turn sealed the deal.

Niv-Mizzet was my other winner, though that game Mind's Dilation did all the heavy lifting. I actually didn't hit a single land with it. What won me the game was a Fumigate from one player that wiped the board and the threat of a Grimoire of the Dead that I stole from the other player. Made the Gisa & Geralf player scoop and I was able to Psychosis Crawler/Niv-Mizzet draw the other player to almost to death because I had a ton of clue tokens from Trail of Evidence. I could have finished him with combat damage, but for fun, I comboed out with Curiosity instead.

Low.

>infinite mana wincon
Neat, now we just wait to see how the mythic BG Partner is and see if we can build strictly better Tasigur

>playing lots of whacky stuff
>sounds like he had a great time
>for fun, goes for lame instant win combo
Talk about taking the joy out of a hard earned win.

Everything you did up to that point in the game didn't really matter when you could have just Niv Mizzet + Curiosity for a win.

>strictly better

Yeah because infinite fucking recursion AND draw is strictly worse than infinite draw and rampant growths.
Only one of the above guarantee a win, and it's not the tapped lands coming into play when you already have infinite mana.

>Everything you did up to that point in the game didn't really matter when you could have just Niv Mizzet + Curiosity for a win.

Which is exactly why I didn't play it until I would have won anyways. I put it in there because "that's what goes in there," right? But every time I can play it, I think, "Well, that wouldn't be fun at all." I've already ear-marked it to remove from the deck.

This is why I have trouble building Niv. He's one of my favorite legends and I love drawing cards, but comboing out with him always feels lame, and everyone assumes (with good reason) that you will.

And I still haven't found something to do with Dracogenius that I like.

There's no worse feeling than playing out a close and long match then suddenly one player going "well actually I had an instant win in hand all along but it wouldn't be fun to end the game until I felt like it"

Here, my noncombo Niv Mizzet.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/

Wins with Infnite colorless mana.

I'm fine with it.

TIME

TO

BREW

>Jund decks would consider splashing blue for cryptic command.
Hahahahahaha. That's fucking funny.