Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Boss fight edition. What are some big baddies your party has taken down?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Kineticists of Porphyra IV: End of an Era playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1XTgiUdDSrTCvATEDeDJ4MnbDgS6KEBLu2e9mjj5fwaw/edit
Broken Shackles Playtest: app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/59701/broken-shackles-test-play

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/herd-animals/moose
d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Megaloceros
docs.google.com/document/d/1xQMlB45-UFEWCB2ffqoBUMhR-t4afSXLk29fgTJNVyw/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/1fALiSRTmfZGb6k_7YccrTy6-FXou8yhaSqA_MukmXpg/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1Rx0a2T6p_ADX0I74-yonZLc2NPyUuVSqACEFOZ1Oahk/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/16HubBmutUy1muWdRQy09jFtnIE6fa2WUYewK_CM-89Q/edit?usp=sharing
d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores
pastebin.com/DZH4ESNR
paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/magicJar.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Golarion is a fucking theme park and you know it.

I've always liked theme parks. They're fun.

Went to one at least once every year back in my childhood.

I've never actually played in the default setting, always in ones made by the DM.

What is the best Winter-themed animal companion you can take as a Druid?

>implying the real world isn't a theme park

Dark Stalker
Giant Octopus
Shadow Demon

My games fall apart before they can take on anything really big, like a Dracolich.

What are some neat enemies I can throw at low level players (3-5 or thereabouts) in a campaign heavy on undead and aberrations? Evil Outsiders and maybe Monstrous Humanoids? work too I suppose.

Bonus points for creatures larger than Medium.

Moose.

They're big, they fuck things up, they can move at speed through 5 foot snow-banks and they can be ridden.

And as far as pathfinder stats them, they're actually decent in a fight.

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/herd-animals/moose

Skeletal Champion
Skeletons
Burning Skeletons
Hell Hounds

Let's see if your players remembered to buy blunt weapons.

A megaloceros is arguable even better, since it's a DIRE moose that can be ridden around like a demented Mountie. d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/animal-companions#TOC-Megaloceros

Tell em about your favourite character you've played anons.

An Inquisitor that was on the hunt for the blood mage that had killed a beloved priest in their homeland. The Inquisitor was going made trying to find the fucker and he started believing that every NPC was lying to him about not knowing what he was talking about.

At one point, the blood mage appeared and captured the party. He used his magic fuckery to force black blood into the Inquisitor (DM forced me into picking up bloodrager).

At first I was pretty mad about the forced bloodrager, but I worked with it. Every time he used his bloodrage, his sanity slipped a little more until he eventually lost it and attempted to kill the party. They subdued him and brought him to a church to try and have him purified, but the zealots they took him to elected to hang him instead.

CORIANDER D. VIGARO
COOKER OF MEALS
SMITER OF EVIL
PUNCHED A LICH OFF A CLIFF WHILST NAKED ONCE
IT'S A LONG STORY

Yeah I dunno, I just read them.
The owod city books are more fun than most adventure books to read, and give you stuff to use.
The d&d equivalent is region and city books. They're typically the better books, ime.
If you just want dungeons you could look up 1 page dungeons and the like.

Eh.

Pick a single country and it's just a setting.

This desu.

The ribbon knight was tailored to fun.
Alas he died at level one.
But here be the late noble spirit's good tale. As his allies have lived to later regale. A goodly soul and man of good deed, the ribbon knight saw guild halls all filled with greed. He read through the rulings and bylaws of old, and hatched a plan candid and bold. By challenging the head tailor to a contest of blade, he stole his position and head tailor was made. He sought to reform the malpractice of men, but shortly was ousted from the city just when, a group of adventurers sent forth to a cave did the ribbon knight valiantly (not really) did save, from the bandits poorly hidden in the wilderness trees to which the ribbon knight tied his foes in the breeze. A flourish of ribbons and a city guard notes, the knight fixed the stitches and cuts of their coats. Toward the cave with the heroes he set out for a quest, against the threat of an evil monsters abreast. Before their arrival at unfortunate scene, the band met a traveler bursting at seams. His wagon was broke and his aura was wicked, yet the ribbon knight prepared his needle for fixes. Approaching the stranger's tattered old clothes, the blue yarns and brown silks were already chose. The amorphous man of indistinguishable features, was but a coat covering four tiny creatures. They attacked and they bit and they all latched on tight, but the ribbon knight's armor held up to their might. With pity and confusion at their useless onslaught, our knight tried to reason while all others fought. Offering the creatures absolution and amenities, the ribbon knight fell to four natural twenties. An unmarked grave, ribbons flowing in the sun, too noble and brave, to survive level one.

rate the 3 homebrews I made, /pfg/:

The Empyreus (a debuff/support class rolled into a warlock/vitalist chassis)
docs.google.com/document/d/1xQMlB45-UFEWCB2ffqoBUMhR-t4afSXLk29fgTJNVyw/edit

WIP: The Sigilist (a daoist / onmyoudo-inspired 9th level divine caster)
docs.google.com/document/d/1fALiSRTmfZGb6k_7YccrTy6-FXou8yhaSqA_MukmXpg/edit?usp=sharing

WIP: The Mechanist (an alchemist that trades away all his alchemy for mechanical stuff like powered suits, jet packs, nanomachines and cannons)
docs.google.com/document/d/1Rx0a2T6p_ADX0I74-yonZLc2NPyUuVSqACEFOZ1Oahk/edit?usp=sharing

I'm also brainstorming the Vajra - a Martial class (somewhat inspired by the soulknife, son wukong and of course, indian myths) who wields a shapeless, formless weapon known as a varunasta.

She's my favorite by virtue of being the only one, sadly.
Just got done leveling her to 11 and finished copying 50 spells from a dropped spellbook that was carried by a Simulacrum of the BBEG. Now I still have 8 spells to add from scrolls, FCB, and 3 more from leveling. And I still need to grab 3 more spells for Helen.

It's been a long night so far.

The trick is to rarely ever go into the deets about it, user. If anything they're handy more or less for comical effect. Because not only do we want it to not get awkward as fuck at the table, but also tits aren't what defines the character; it's their actions, motives, and deeds.

That's the character's actions, motives, and deed. Not the tits.

But that's an idea for a sort of misdirection-type character, I'm sure.

How to play a youxia? I want to get my wuxia on.

Man, she's getting more french.

Hey, Veeky Forums, need some advice.
I am joining a friend's PF game part of the way through and they are just about to raid a very large raider camp. With talks with the GM my character is a barbarian pit fighter. Lots of killing and forced to fight once friends, and once friends betraying said barbo.

So what are some good PTSD triggers and how to play it properly? With the Pit Fighter able to do the combat performance class ability, I know he will have episodes of hearing the roar of the crowds while fighting on occasion, anything else anyone can suggest?

So the optional piecemeal armor system actually seems to work fine, apart from being boring as hell. Instead of changing it, I think I might go for a more Monster Hunter inspired overlay onto the system that goes along with the piecemeal weapon system I'm building at
docs.google.com/document/d/16HubBmutUy1muWdRQy09jFtnIE6fa2WUYewK_CM-89Q/edit?usp=sharing
Having new exotic beasts with MH-like attacks to hunt down sounds more fun to me than buying materials in a store, and it could add a way of obtaining minor bonuses and customization without fucking with WBL any further. Would it be overly cumbersome to introduce a minor crafting system beyond PF's regular one just for that though? We're talking like +1 to Climb checks and half a trait bonus for getting the right dragon teeth and Huge beetle shells.

The only time I have female characters is when I have high Cha. Jokes can be said of how I got such high Charisma.

That being said, unless it is trying to be sly with an NPC (which shouldn't happen often), your character gender (male, female, or attack helicopter) really shouldn't have to be brought up often.

Find a copy of "Forge of War" from the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Chapter 3, "Scars of War" has roleplaying suggestions.

Anyone got some points for a poison build?
DM said he's open to any not obviously broken 3pp on the SRD.

Right now I'm thinking an alchemist but then the poison is a bit overshadowed by bombs and mutagen.

Poison mechanics don't work that well in Pathfinder.

Toxicant, take the Mutagen discovery. Grab Vivisectionist. Dip 5 levels into Guild Poisoner for Treacherous Toxin, and build into the Sap Master tree of feats, plus one feat for Accomplished Sneak Attacker. Get a Merciful Toxic Virulent Snakebite Dagger. Enjoy having a DC 15/19+1.5x level+Int poison

I hate the cha = big tits maymay

I don't mean for it to happen. Just literally, my Paladins, Sorcerers, Oracles, Clerics, everything I've played that had Cha was female.

Blame the Wizards.

Cha does says it increases your physical appearance.
d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores
>Charisma measures a character's personality, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and appearance.

Speaking of spells, I still have a few to go. 10 to be precise; seven spells of up to 5th level, and three more being 6th level. I'm kinda braindead on ideas at the moment, so suggestions would be lovely.

Here's a large chunk of Elsbeth's spellbook for reference to what she already has at the moment. Note: this list doesn't include her maneuvers, SLAs, or her Mythic spells.
pastebin.com/DZH4ESNR

>thinking big tits are attractive
plebeian tastes

Sorry mate, I love my tits big and lactating, held up by a round pregnant belly.

Don't be hatin', ya hear?

Even while exploring, infiltrating, or fighting?

Big tits isn't necessarily improving appearance, retard

That's fucking hot and you are a man of exquisite taste.

Appearance can mean a load of things that aren't physical appearance.

Magic Jar is the typical counterexample: You swap bodies with something and you keep your original CHA score.

It was a joke, jesus fuck calm down.
Do you keep your Str/Dex/Con?

She refuses to not come along. Her magic is more powerful thanks to her goddess.

paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/spells/magicJar.html

>LGS game
>Decide to try
>GM "Ok, if you want to play a class out of core, though I only allow 1pp, you have elite array, if you play core class you have to roll"
1080ยบ and moonwalked away

>Balance starts being a problem, she can't power-attack quite like she used to, and being sickened half the time don't help.
>Eventually convince her to borrow a firearm so she's not risking herself and her child as much
>even slight weight gain elsewhere than just the belly forces her to stop wearing plate in the last few months
>But it's true she can follow; she's got good con, and let's face it everyone was walking slow cuz of the dwarf in the first place so one more with that pace won't change a thing.
>On the upside, if anything happens, she *is* as close to a temple as you could ever get a family to live
>Once she's recovered enough to start in the front line again, daddy long-range can keep baby safely on his back
>Although after the first fight you learn we need a lot more silence spells on him.
(btw personally I like a small handful rather than huge knockers. but not flat; there's gotta at least be something there)

I havnt read much pathfinder, but Is there a wall of the faithless type thing, I heard something bout a moon or something but is that true?

No, the wall of the faithless is unique to the terribad pantheon of Toril, whose gods are such petulant assholes and permatriggered overentitled toddlers at best that they were starving to death from lack of worship despite (or perhaps because of) the level of influence they were inflicting on their worshipers.

It's a terrible fucking idea, the kind of thing you just implode the crystal-sphere containing those gods outright and be done with it.

I have very little good to say about any of golarion's deities, but I'm relatively certain even they would never be able to agree enough to get something like that built up.

So, I did a thing.

you did a pretty okay thing.

Is that a balding fat man stalking her?

also i read that you get absorbed by your afterlfie after a while, According to one of the devs i asked on a forum.

in regular D&D yeah (the wall of the faithless is a nasty, and literally infernal deal with devils and demons to sell them souls. good job, lawful good deities).

Well, not in a bad way, you have to understand. First, resurrection and reincarnation still work from there; the soul does hang around for a little bit making things easier for friendly clerics, but after that, afterlife is where you're getting called from.

If you're not a devout follower of a specific god (in which case you go to their personal realm) you go to the plane/layer that most fits your life. CG? Fighty? More of this stuff would be great? Asgard. Have fun. Even Baator is pretty much what those ending there wished for, to a point; yes it's a horrible, harsh environment, but pretty much everyone except the strongest and most already evil start at the bottom of that hierarchy and claw their way up from there. Of course if you had no real drive or willpower you'll just be one of those chatty skulls that eventually gets crushed or eaten or just dissipates.

From there, those willing and capable enough will become agents of their deities, or may evolve like the devils do into a more physical incarnation of the plane. Others meanwhile will just enjoy the conditions; whether that's being a faceless mook in big drunken battles for the next who knows how long, or laying back enjoying nirvana until you just become one with the universe as one might say. At that point you're finally well and truly gone, but there's plenty of new souls made from those same places you dissipated into to take your place, much like corpse in ditch became wormfood became plants became meat became the proteins your mother's body built you with.

So there's many ways out, but to most, it's lay back and let yourself fade out without a care.

Or, you know, some angry assholes stick you in a wall that literally tortures and tears your memories apart before selling your soul bits organ-legger-style to demons and devils.

But i mean in pathfinder, do you get absorbed?

Does this happen in 5e as well? I thought petitioners just lived out eternity in there plane of existence, not get absorbed, Well thats what i read on wikipedia at least

Yes, according to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide:

>THE AFTERLIFE
>Most humans believe the souls of the recently deceased are spirited away to the Fugue Plane, where they wander the great City of Judgment, often unaware they are dead. The servants of the gods come to collect such souls and, if they are worthy, they are taken to their awaited afterlife in the deity's domain. Occasionally, the faithful are sent back to be reborn into the world to finish work that was left undone.

>Souls that are unclaimed by the servants of the gods are judged by Kelemvor, who decides the fate of each one. Some are charged with serving as guides for other lost souls, while others are transformed into squirming larvae and cast into the dust. The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself.

Okay, but what does it mean to be "truly false and faithless?"

Has anyone ever explored Kaer Maga in a campaign? We're running Godsmouth Ossuary this weekend as a prelude to a campaign focused on the city and its Undercity.

>if you dont declare true faith to us you're going to suffer for all eternity no matter your deeds

Thanks

Yeah, today's Inktober prompt was creepy, so I killed two birds.
I poked a little fun with y'all there.

So what happens to the unborn and the people with little brain development?

False - Saying a deity is your patron, but not living up to their tenets (pacifist worshiper of Tempus, worshiper of Hoar who forgives his enemies, etc.)

Faithless - Either not believing in the gods, or deciding that they are not worthy of your worship.

I think in general if you're going to use poison you'll want multiple attacks so that the DC and duration stacks. Probably the only thing shuriken and darts are good for.

I think alchemist in particular can coat their weapons in a sticky poison or some shit.

I think unborn go to Lathander since unborn are "youth" and within his influence. The simple minded are turned into larvae.

Try asking in the 5E thread.

So if your like a normal dude who doesnt want to be a outsider, you get absorbed by your plane, huh, but according to one of the devs, a god can still retrieve a absorbed soul iirc

so regardless if its dnd or pathfinder, if you dont want to be a outsider, you get absorbed.

Divinity is no escape either.

If you run out of worshipers, you fall into a coma on the Astral Plane. It takes a lot longer, but you will be absorbed there.

Now your characters have a reason to seek undeath (lichdom, vampirism, etc.), or a way to become an outsider while retaining your identity (becoming a shade, a final revelation, or mastering an outsider bloodline).

Or theoritically do something like remake the entire cosmology like how they justified the changes in dnd various editions. but that would require far more than a single diety or god.

Not every time.

3rd ed came about because Vecna entered Sigil and became a greater deity.

4th ed happened because Cyric killed Mystra with Shar's help.

5th ed happened because a lot of stuff happened across several novels, but several gods were involved.

I love how entering sigil just broke the entire cosomology.

>Gender is irrelevant
>He doesn't build his characters to incorporate their gender as a theme

You know, Ripley became so good as a character BECAUSE they emphasized her motherliness in Aliens.

Naw man, every character should have the same priorities and important character traits that I say they should have.

Golarion is probably more resilient than Toril.

It just feels like you're missing out on a wide assortment of character backstories, potential arcs or wrinkles in personality by making your characters effectively genderless, people say that doesn't affect a character but it does.

Something like the woman seemed "too old for marriage" going out to adventure because the alternative is being a spinstress, or the sensitive young man who hides his emotions beneath a steel suit because his dad beat him for "not acting tough like a man," or hell something classic like a mother protecting her children or the father ripping and tearing across the Worldwound for his missing wife.

And don't even get me started on non-human races and non-traditional sexualities or genders, you think you can talk about a hermaphroditic Tiefling without mentioning them embracing or rejecting their peculiar societal position? The female half-orc that wants to be something more than just a wet hole in her Orcish tribe?

One of the greatest tragedies of the setting is Paizo trying to reject gender roles being a thing in the setting, when they're an excellent way to further delve into a character and their mindset.

This isn't strictly a pathfinder question overall, but we're playing pathfinder so I thought here's as good a place to ask as any.
Joined a group playing pathfinder at uni, I think most other people in the group are also new to each other, and the DM wanted us to all roll stats. Those whom were present at the first session got a range of rolls, nothing too bad or massively good, however the person who came in the second session claimed to have got 12 14 14 16 16 17, which isn't impossibly good but has less than 0.037% chance of getting that or strictly better.
The question is should I obliquely raise the issue, or wait to see if it becomes more of a problem (so far it's just that he has nigh every skill as good as anyone else)?

Either it got lucky and he'll play as normal or he is a constant fudger, and will cheat any roll possible.

I roll in front of DM for this reason.

How come Infinity Mirror Stance is so fucking bad? Am I misreading it?
It essentially lets you coinflip against the first attack someone makes on you and if you win it tge attack is negated and the stance is over and you have to switch off. It's literally garbage. You dont even pick which attack it is. Please tell me I'm missing something here, because this is too bad to be even a level 1 stance, let alone a level 3 one.

How can you make undead feel the joys of being alive temporarily or is it impossible?

Do you not know how good Mirror Image is? Jesus.

Yeah, you only get one for now, but it scales up to 5. Mirror Image is amazing and they ain't giving that shit to Martials.

You can reactivate the stance at any time (as a swift action) to re-gain images.

There's a psionic power that lets you share sensations.
Probably works on undead.

You can't reactivate a stance, you need to stance-dance over the course of two turns.

Also by the time this stance gets good you have a level 8 godstance to be in.

You don't get 8th level stuff at level 8. You'd get a 4th level stance, which there aren't any. You need to be level 5 to take a third level stance aways.

They only get the coin flip if they hit. If they miss, you still have your image. (Unless they miss by less than 5 which is stupid, but balance reasons)

>You don't get 8th level stuff at level 8. You'd get a 4th level stance, which there aren't any. You need to be level 5 to take a third level stance aways
2 images isn't when it gets good user.
As I said, by the time it's a good stance you'll have an ultimate superstance to be in instead.

>They only get the coin flip if they hit. If they miss, you still have your image
Wew how powerful
Meanwhile EFlux level 3 stance exists.
Or the SCrane one. Or the RHourglass one.

At least it's not as bad a stance as the Golden Lion flanking one. You need at least 2 rogues for that one to be worth shit.
>2 Rogues

or sandman bards, or vigilante stalkers, or snakebite strikers, or hey, guess what? warlords get to give their allies their Charisma bonus as a flank modifier instead of the basic +2, isn't that nice?

Biggest problem is both are surprisingly easy to qualify for (surprise surprise, the wall's highly profitable...)

Most people are going to worship the gods to a limited degree; they don't have the power or ability to understand, and might not be able to survive even in a simple farming community if they can't do something like forgive an enemy.

And faithless? The gods are REALLY good at causing that one. There's not only the Athar over in Sigil; who do have a point since the gods are neither omnipotent nor omniscient - in fact they're rarely much more capable than a level 17+ cleric or wizard in their own demiplane is... hint hint.... But there's also utter bullshit moments reminiscent of a certain trumpets time in golarion, where deities on toril do utterly nothing for even devout worshippers despite the direct and illegal intervention of another god or goddess, or refuse to give spells for petty-ass reasons, leading to the destruction of entire sections of their faith by rival faiths...

Enough to make you consider that they've been finding sales at the wall more useful than allowing the normal flow of souls to function properly... And to remember that they can literally just choose what alignment they count as despite their acts.

The kind of act that inevitably attracts some epic level attention.

It's nice, sure, but it's still tohit bonuses that your martial buddies don't really need. Properly built melee strikers miss very infrequently as it is.

even on the tail end of a full attack?

Initiators usually don't do those or get full BAB on each hit because of course they do.

yes, but initiators using single-attack strikes have everything riding on one attack, making missing effectively as good as being crowdcontrol'd that turn.

True, but their rolls are fuckhuge already without need for help.

But they didn't do it at the cost of the rest of her character, which most people who make gender into a character's theme go well beyond doing.

Ripley was a badass, and when she started protecting that little girl it felt normal; perfectly natural. As in why wouldn't she take care of an unarmed innocent, she's a badass, she can handle this shit. You expect heroes to protect kids. It's what they do, no matter their first name is Arnold or Ellen.

Just like Samus in the first three games, Ripley just *happened* to be female.

That's as far as you can get from a certain dwarf in baldur's gate.

so gods are assholes and utterly petty and imcompetent.

They're extremely powerful though, so it's that incompetence you see in CEOs and tinpot dictators, as opposed to the incompetence you see from the chucklefuck trying to convince you you have to get the expensive package from geeksquad to protect you from windows bigtits virus 2000.

You know how Dragon bloodline Sorcs can take Dragon Desciple to be even more Dragon-ey

Is there a prestige class an Aasimar Inquisitor can take to be more angel-ey without being constrained to lawful good? I just want to live my NG life and slay demons

Could someone liek baba yaga dethrone a god in a circumstance?

probably not because the god can always just retreat to their own realm where their power is "i win in my own pocket universe", but she could probably force'em to stay holed up in there indefinitely. And that could spell trouble when worship starts dwindling.

Gods are at their most vulnerable in their own realm, that's how Desna's mentor was killed, that's how Nocticula has such a high demon lord kill rate, and it's why you can only truly kill Deskari in WotR if you follow him into the Abyss.

Ok with each adventure module, whats hte canon outcome for each? I am guessing ' the bad guy loses' as most of the time if they own it would screw up golarion as in the baba yaga modules.