The machete: Sword or axe

Just had one of those pointless discussions. Not that it affects the game in any way but after discussing it now I'm curious about what other people thinks.

Should the machete be considered as a sword or as an axe?

Why would it be an axe?

It's of course a sword, but just more tip-heavy than other swords.

Some may assume as it can chop and cut it could be considered an axe, axes have more uses but that's the gist there ya go.

Whoever you had the discussion with, tell them they are a toilet drinking retard.

t. fa/tg/uy

Tell me, sir reverse satanic trips, what if OP was arguing for the axe?

It's a sword that does reduced piercing damage, but increased chopping/slash damage. It's very clearly a sword by virtue of construction. Axes tend to have the heads mounted differently.

Then he needs to get his face out of the toilet.

Is a falchion a sword or an axe? Same fucking question. It works by chopping.

What?

It's a knife.

The usual ones are big knives that work because they're relatively light for their size. They can't replace an axe as they aren't all that great at splitting and as their balance is usually more stick- than sword- or axe-like.

A falchion's a sword. They have comparatively thin blades and are clearly balanced like swords.

... knife?

Personally I treat them as brass knuckles.

Machete are like several modern survival hatchets in form and function, but that has everything to do with the cost of worked metal goods changing the design of utility axes and not the machete.

In actuality it's history is as a "utility sword" like a combat knife, designed to kill and cut through jungle brush.

Neither.

It's a fucking machete.

So you guys were discussing if a given thing is either of two different things?

Specifically, you were arguing if something that is almost identical a sword, yet is not a sword, is either a sword or an axe?

This is like me coming here and asking:

Is grape juice considered wine or beer?

And the only argument I have for beer is that it's liquid.

Assuming this is for game purposes such as feats or something... Why not both?

Nay, 'tis be a whip!

My friends all agreed it's a spear.

It's a thin, light sword

Machetes are thick and relatively short. I have a parang just like this.

>that sexy, sexy edge geometry
Where did you find that image user? Is there somewhere I can read about blade design specifications?

>Blade arrives before the knuckles
Holy shit a time-traveling axe.

This was basically the argument used, since its used to chop branches.

By that logic the cavalry sabre is an axe too!

The SAS Survival Handbook

sabers slice

A parang is just one kind, the typical machete is a very thin, light tool. A few millimetres thick at best.

Sword

It is the traditional melee weapon in Cuba, to the point that the current military still trains in machete fencing

>any blade designed for chopping is an axe

For fuck's sake, you people are retards.

Most machetes straddle that weird line between knife and sword, but I would consider them a knife. That said, "Machete" is a bit of a blanket term. For the most part they tend to be short and thick (almost similar to a Japanese sword in that sense), or a bit longer and thinner to the point where it's basically like a falchion or sabre.

A parang is not a machete

machetes are thin, light swords