/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General Anonymous

Benevolent Whimsy Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
No waifus or husbandos except for Merid Who Held the Whole of the Blackblock Under Her Hood.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No Y Signs allowed.

Previous Kalpa

How do you like your Orcs, in terms of appearance?

The Classic:
>Tusks
>Shades of green
>Buff
>A bit of a temper

is there any other way?

aren't those Bosmer

Well, there's some variance in terms of ears, noses and nipples.

Bosmer are not yellow.

Peeg teeties are mandatory.

>Confusing the Golden Beauties with those mud color cannibal barbarians

Wrong guy

/tesg/ failed me.

Why did Alduin attack Helgen?

To kill Ulfric? To free Ulfric? To kill you? To free you? Popping back into existence right above the town?

I tried Googling it but it's all HUEs theorizing in broken English.

I doubt he cared about Ulfric, Probably dropped by to see you, after going to see if ol'Paarthy was doing ok.

Like this but with a kind of "chubby" bear body

Didn't they send him forward in time from the Throat of the World? I think that's the direction he flies in from during the execution. At least, after seeing that ritual I thought that he literally sees Helgen minutes after they use the scroll on him.

We /early/ today? I don't mind.

It's gonna sound boring, but it's probably just destiny. As pointed out he would've re-materialized at the throat of the world and target the first settlement he sees to spread the word and see if he still 'got it'. Turns out he does and Helgen is fucked.

also, I hope we get the 50 mil or 49999999

Where does this dragonborn expect to go after he has jumped this height presumably, off a mountain.

Hermaeus Mora's harem I believe

The dragon keeps flying while engaged with him, like Gandalf, that or he uses the "Become Ethereal" shout

Plot convenience.

Here, I've invented a new shout for you.
MUN BO LOK
"MAN FLY SKY"
Shout of flight.

I still gotta do the Valenwood one.

Neat

Post other ones.

Also, Merid a shit.

:^)

heh

You cheeky fetcher.

alright alright I'll post the ones I have and hopefully I'll feel like making one for valenwood

I made the ones for High Rock and Morrowind in red text, which is ugly as fuck. I'll redo them one day.

Maybe he was just going for the nearest dragon he could sense (that wasn't Paarthurnax).
Too bad that one particular dragon was not exactly a dragon.

>orcs in Morrowind have samurai armor
>orcs in Oblivion have noticeably similar Eastern-influenced armor
>orcs in Skyrim have big dumb lolgeneric fantasy orc armor, despite being regarded as the best smiths in Tamriel

Fuck you, Ray Lederer.

forgot pic

It still looks rather eastern actually. Sure there's a ruggedness to it, but it's still rather decent looking.

>Whines that he likes the eastern-influenced armor
>posts armor that is clearly inspired by Chinese and Mongolian armors
Pretty embarrassing, IMO

This.
According to Morrowind lore, orcish armor is based on High fucking Elven designs. But nooo, gotta make ork things crude as fuck.
At least they didn't forget about heavy cloth badding.

The point was that it's big and dumb, and not sophisticated like elaborates.

I didn't really mind the Orcish armour in Skyrim all that much. But that may just be because I loved the fact that it has a top-knot.

The more I read about Molag Bal, the more I realize that he's a petty, spiteful prick. I mean, he made vampires solely to spite Arkay.

It's almost comedic, actually.

Elven armor was pretty nice, other than the pauldrons.

All Daedric princes are petty and spiteful pricks.

>the ancient Nordic battle technique of flipping the bird

I'm in a new campaign, and this happened.
>I'm a dunmer caster, self serving but practical
>GM opens up with a modified version of how ESO starts (he's used the game as a rough basis for plot and as a convenient way to be able to explore the setting himself between sessions)
>Our party was abducted and left in cells in Cold Harbor
>The dremora bring in a human healer/priestess of the divines, who brings us food and helps explain what's going on in short bits as she can
>Eventually she sneaks us weapons and we break out, take out the weak guards on duty, and make our way to an adjacent set of cells that also had promising abductees
>Add to our ranks (me, a nord berserker, and an argonian scout) a nord fighter and khajit skirmisher
>There's also a strange dunmer woman who claims we'll need her as her god is our only chance at escape, the NPCs all hate her and we decide to leave (instead of kill her as the argonian and I consider) when she somehow gets out of her cell herself
>Eventually make our way to the top of the tower, ensuing battle with a strong dremora warrior and mage nearly kills the PC nord and does kill the khajit
>Priestess prays for help, to no avail
>Dunmer woman pulls out a ceremonial dagger and says that her god will save us if we present a sacrifice and suggests the unconscious nord, says she can't do it because it must be someone the victim trusts
>NPC nord and argonian debate this, I accept the dagger from her and compliment her initiative, saying I trust her, then stab her
>She dies horribly, her body and the dagger melt away
>A portal opens that leads back to Nirn, we jump through
>Told OOC that she was definitely a cultist of Boethiah and was receiving power from her
This is going to end badly for me, isn't it?

Just get in good with Boethiah yourself, afaik that's exactly the kind of shit he loves

That's what I'm worried about. I helped GM with a lot of study and prep for the game and he is raring to go with using the Princes.
While my character is all about the "easy power" route, the drawback of constantly looking out for being betrayed himself is just about the worst one possible; he's fine doing unscrupulous things to be successful, but would really rather not have his standing be so unstable.

Boethiah gives no shits. Betray his priest? Sweet, good job guys. I'm sure Mephala and Boethiah were close to metaphysical orgasm when the Tribunal betrayed them and Nerevar.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you didn't do the right thing.

It's always fun when killing someone has unforeseen consequences.
>playing post-apoc GURPS campaign
>get told to go save town besieged by a death cult of motorcycle farmers
>find out that they're actually not after the town, just after a religious opponent hiding in the town
>decide that we can't just hand her over to the cult, since there's no guarantee that the cult won't come back to raid
>kill the cult leader and install the religious opponent as the new leader
>turns out she's considerably more fanatic, believes that her god talks to her and that she'd destined to conquer the world
But we figured that at the very least she liked us, so it's not our problem for a while.
>tfw no UESRPG game to play in

Anyone who plays UESRPG want to give me some ideas about how to speed up combat? I love it's depth but it can be boring after a while

For a shitty mod I'm working on, are there any in-universe examples of someone studying the Giant language? I know they don't have a written form, but that they do have a language.

The really like spiral designs. That may play in a bit with their language.

I don't play, but I'm curious; what causes the combat to slow down?

The combat it quite deep, weapon reach and size are important, multiple ways to defend, resolving defence can result in being able to choose from multiple special effects, of which there are many, there is a wound system with multiple levels of wounding with different effects depending on what body part it hits, resolving all this takes some time

Giants and nords share Atmorans as a common ancestors. You can use the Atmoran animal totems for Giants. Preferably drawn with swirls like said

Well, ultimately what I really was hoping for was a few Giant names and perhaps random words to throw into the speech.

The mod is based on a thread on Veeky Forums a while back, what if a dragon was the mayor of a town. Thus secret Skyrim village-esque thing with a dragon at its heart and several unusual inhabitants

Other inhabitants will include a fire atronach to attend the forge along with an orc. The giant is a mammoth-herdsman. There's a Seeker that mostly keeps to himself, but also has a library of sorts, a Spriggan Matron is alchemist and does some regular farming

>"Then of course the swirls, which we Nords paint the same no matter whichever clan we belong to, because the Giants speak only ONE language and it's in our best interest to talk straight with them".
Can't think of any names. Nords apparently call some of the swirls they make "Giant-Come-Shiny Swirls", so it may be the case that Giant language is equally primitive (having names like Big-Fist, Far-Wanderer or Blood-Pouch).

>The mod is based on a thread on Veeky Forums a while back, what if a dragon was the mayor of a town. Thus secret Skyrim village-esque thing with a dragon at its heart and several unusual inhabitants
So like that one chapter in Kind Edward?

Had to look it up since I haven't played Daggerfall. (Assuming you meant King Edward?). At 12 chapters and 114 mentions of "dragon", could you give a quick summary, or will it all have to wait until tomorrow (EU fag)

And I know the thing would be horribly lorebreaking, but here's the gist of what it

>Dragon that made a pact way back with Tiber Septim (see skyrim book: There be dragons)
>Service ended with the end of the Septim bloodline
>Made new pact with blades
>"I'll fuck off to the mountains and never do anything, you can send a regular guy to check up if you don't trust me"
>Over time dragon attracts creatures willing to settle with him
>Over centuries even a small town
>A group of men and mer, daedra and others who all have rejected their regular life for one reason or another
>One day mountain just goes fuck it, collapse, uncovers dwemer ruins, town gets fucked by automatons, Dragon asks for help from the only one he can trust when he's unsure when the blades will ever check up on him again
>Paarthurnax
>Paarthurnax likes his mountain too much, sends the dragonborn.
>Up to you to re-establish the town

>think of a question for /tgesg/ in the middle of the week.
>forget it by the time the thread is actually made
fug

Eyyy I have a character with coming from a place like that as their backstory. Except they were in a lonely valley in Highrock.

How comes giants have pointed ears if they are men?

What's the pre-Thalmor political structure like in Alinor?

>start researching TES lore
>Some chucklefucks sunk a continent with a sword move
This feels so out of place in the same universe of the games I've been playing. I live it

It's a metaphysical kind of fucking up.
Turns out some morons thought it was a great fucking idea to cut the uncuttable.
Reality didn't like that.

That actually sounds pretty awesome and fits in to the TES world

Now, this happened a month ago, so I might have mentioned it them, but Scrollhammer 0.713 is out.

The major change is that the Dwemer have now been added as their own army, with their own special rules and units. Their rooster is pretty limited in comparison to some other factions, but they're able to take Animunculi units.

The other big thing is that armour rules have been revamped to make super heavy units more easily to kill. Which is a good thing, since you could exploit the old system if you really wanted to.

>so it may be the case that Giant language is equally primitive

In telcraft, a scoring is a thought which mainly stands for howmuchness. Some kinds of scorings are whole scorings, broken scorings, and "true scorings" and "dreamt scorings" (although in truth, "dreamt scorings" are no more dreamt, nor any less true, than "true scorings" are).

Among the whole scorings are one, two, three, and so on; those scorings which are dealt with in the deed of scoring itself. "None" or "emptiness" is also a whole scoring. Those scorings which are greater than none are called laden scorings. For each laden scoring, there is a matching nimble scoring (from "nim", meaning "to take"), which is less than none: these scorings are called nimble one, nimble two, and so on. Emptiness is neither a laden scoring nor a nimble scoring.

A broken scoring is made by breaking a whole scoring into another whole scoring. Thus, if three is broken into two, the outcome is three halves (or one and a half), a broken scoring which lies between one and two.

The true scorings include the broken scorings, as well as those scorings which lie between broken scorings. There is no broken scoring which, when manifolded by itself (or foursided), yields two; in other words, the fourside root of two is not a broken scoring. Instead, the fourside root of two is a scoring which lies between broken scorings; thus, it is a true scoring.

The dreamt scorings are made by putting in a new scoring, called i, whose fourside is nimble one. Every dreamt scoring can be written as a true scoring, together with the manifolding of a true scoring by i. Thus, 2 + 3i ("two with three times i") is a dreamt scoring.

Are you okay?

Thought it was about nuclear fission.

user, do you know what "atom" means?

Someone wrote a whole wiki in an alternate English which tries to eliminate or replace all Romance and Greek words.

Yeah, it's a kind of microscopical electrocharged plum pudding.

Reality usually doesn't like anything wacky enough to break it, and it always snaps back at whomever tried to break it, and sometimes it just throws its hands up in the air and lets the pieces fall where they may; we call these occasions dragon breaks, but ask the dwemer about the former.
Of course, this is just one view of the overall.

That sounds extremely autistic. And a tiny bit interesting.
But mostly autistic.

Is it some kind of nationalism-fuelled project?

"Atomos" doesn't refer to the atom, it's an old greek word meaning 'indivisible
"Pankratos" likewise translates to 'almighty' in greek.

I wouldn't call what happened at Yokuda a Dragonbreak. It didn't have anything to do with time.
Just because something breaks, it doesn't have to mean Time-Dragon breaks with it.

This. It's about dividing that which cannot be divided.

Dragon breaks are also something I have had a hard time grasping. What is the simplest way to put it? How does the timeline recover?

>What is the simplest way to put it?
There's a big Time-Dragon overspirit that's in charge of all Time.
Now, the Big D tries his best to make sure that all things happen more or less linearly. However, the Big D has been abused a lot over the years, and he's not all that sound of mind.
Normally, it's not all that hard for him to keep track of Time. You drop something, that thing falls, in that order.
But sometimes, things which are really hard to comprehend can try to make several things happen at the same time, or the wrong way around, or whatever. And when these things get really bad, Time-Dragon just kind of goes "Fuck it" and snaps. Presumably he binges on ice cream while crying, wondering why people can't just treat him nicely.
When he gets to his senses again, and an ambiguous amount of time has happened, he's back on watch and tries his best to make sure that things work again, plus he tries to salvage whatever he can out of the broken time, so that it makes some sort of sense.

>How does the timeline recover?
Time-Dragon works a lot of overtime, and call in his FemDragon agents (they're all called Jill), to "go into" Mundus and try to set things straight as much as possible. It's not a full recovery, but the guy tries.

Thanks, the effort is appreciated

No problem, it's fun answering questions.

We don't know. That's the short answer. There's a lot of things we don't know about giants, like the relationship between Nordic giants and supposed other races of giants.

I will, however, say that you can't call giants the same as men, despite the shared ancestor.
Furthermore, it's not the case that elfine ears means that there's elves involved. Goblins have the same kind of ears, and other creatures have ears that might resemble elven ones.

>wouldn't call what happened at Yokuda a Dragonbreak. It didn't have anything to do with time.
>Just because something breaks, it doesn't have to mean Time-Dragon breaks with it.

Let me explain it like this:
Push reality=reality pushes back so hard you break in half at best and disappear mysteriously at worst
Push reality in a confusing way=reality getting confused and giving up, breaking you in half, making you disappear, unbreaking you, giving you a milkshake, and letting you get away with it all at the same time with valid, permanent outcomes; this is a dragon break.

Yokuda pushed, reality pushed back and sank their ass
Dwemer pushed (possibly pushed the wrong or right way), reality erased them in one chronological direction (forward in time)
The events of Daggerfall dragon break: reality got overloaded and took a smoke break, came in and gave everyone an A+ and a promotion
Red Mountain: Vivec used CHIM against reality, it's super effective! Nerevar dies two ways and both are valid because reality hurt itself in its confusion.

I hope I'm on the right track here.

It doesn't have anything to do with how "confusing" an event is. It has to do with great force being applied on "reality" in conjunction with chance.

The Warp in the West is a stellar example of the Numidium enforcing a great strain on time, made critical by the more or less equal chance of all the possible things happening. The Fall of Yokuda on the other hand was a deliberate action with one possible outcome. There's no strain on time having to keep track of everything if time doesn't have to worry about all the possibilities.

Is it safe to say, then, that all of the Dragon Breaks just happen to coincide with the various games in order to account for the non-canon nature of any player's actions and don't occur outside of those "time variant" areas?

Of course not.
Have you ever heard of the Middle Dawn?

The first conceived Dragon Break was a tool to "solve" the drastically different outcomes of Daggerfall's ending, but there's no reason whatsoever to assume that there's some arbitrary limit set up by either lore or writers confining Dragon Breaks to the periods of the games.

Lets have a BIG question
What are your predictions for the nest latest in-game timeline?
When will it be? End/middle of 4E? Jump to 5E?
What will happen? Will Tamriel be unified again? Will the Dominion or Empire rule? Or will the glorious Orcs take it all?

>Fear

Whatever it'll be it's gonna be shit.

What can you tell me about mannimarco and his divinity,will he always be a moon or will the jills or something turn him back to mortal?

Okay so what, if any, is the relation between Y'ffre and Hircine.
The Wild Hunt seems like something Hircine would be into.

The dragon break created three mannimarcos: the mer, the lich, and the god. So... yes?

>turn him back to mortal
Probably not, as Moonimarco and Mortalmarco are no longer the same being. So he can't really "turn back".