DwarfFortress

Dwarf Fortress Collabrative/ General since old thread died

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/mbvV7Xy
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17VNXKbgZSr--cOCQCYsBvsAlDiLJFK-uMn3o9EY9plA/edit?usp=sharing
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Quickstart_guide
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNbSUujzXbgNjJi_-WHTTTD
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is one inaccuracy here: Armok cannot have mercy.

New to dwarf fortress, how do I start.

Step one: Understand that losing is fun.
Step two: Lose until you get it.

Some of us are still losing to this very day.

Watch the youtube tut series by DasTastic, if you are a true elegan/tg/ent you can have fun losing while keeping your dorfs happy!

>Losing is fun

This is only half true. What it really means is "Losing is fun, as long as it isn't boring". Read up on the UI and if it helps write down how to do the simple stuff on a piece of paper nearby. Always embark in areas with high levels of awful things because they give the best chance of crazy shit happening. If you embark to a peaceful area with nothing bad whatsoever the game will just become a slog as you slowly make a giant fortress waiting for something to happen.

Hey all, we're working on a full on Dwarf Fortress Supplement for Gurps. If anyone wants to join in on the Fun, here's the Discord:

discord.gg/mbvV7Xy

Tales from the Bloodforge, my favorite fortress.

I remember the time I walled off the Weresloth annex of my fortress and the vampire ghettos. They were right next to each other. The next time people started turning I tried breaking the wall between them to have them fight one another.

They not only didn't but have formed a strange symbiotic relationship.

Life in the Bloodforge is just getting worse and worse.

The room of lost babies and left socks has gotten more stressful. I've had to put more guards to death.

The homeless caves down below are filled with slime again, and I'm not sure why.

The workshop maze has proven effective, but confusing.

The miasma dining hall's destruction is taking longer than I have thought, so I decided to wall it off.

Another herd of elephant has attacked, and killing them got even more blood everywhere, but I guess it doesn't matter since all the surface plants already died.

The Bee Room has reached the point that one need essentially swim through a solid wall of bees to enter, this has not problem difficult.

The Nobility is demanding things once more, luckily I have managed to give the hammer a mace constructed from flax. He still killed eight of our best artisans with it.

The goblin/cat breeding chamber is proving effective and the blood flow steady.

The forgotten beast that came from the lower caves was killed by a hermit living in the lower tunnels, due to the toxic fumes we were forced to wall it off. Many dwarves died.

This is a terrible world.

I'm waiting for LNP to update for the latest version because I want all the new stuff but I can't stand not having graphics.

Made a fort in a sinister haunted area with a lake just to see how I could do. Second year an undead horde shows up with two necromancers and I'm terrible so I get wrecked.

Try to reclaim on for the horde to be nowhere in sight. The necromancers are fishing.

My fort fell because I built too close to a pair of crust old necromancers' favorite fishing hole.

>If you embark to a peaceful area with nothing bad whatsoever
Solution: Play while drunk. Helps get into character and makes things interesting when you stupidly mine into an aquifer.

I had to scramble to wall up a two tile wide hallway before it flooded my ENTIRE fort instead of just the eastern wing. It was when I first started playing, probably only my second fort, and I hadn't yet learned that you can make doors waterproof. I wouldn't have had to have a dwarf valiantly drown himself because he stood on the wrong side of the wall he was constructing.

I too have made a similar mistake.

Except in my case it was in trying to build a magma forge by a volcano.
At surface level.

The volcano was pretty much right at the edge of a hill, which was two tiles away from another mound about five Z levels high. My plan was to build the main fort in the mound, the crafting district in the volcano hill, and connect the two with a pair of covered walkways cut into the side of each.

Instead I flooded the surface surrounding my fort with lava, set the woods on fire, and half my dwarves went crazy from smoke.

Works even better in a community fortress, where you weren't responsible for all the bullshit and some of the letters were installed by malicious pranksters. "Locks the front gate", my hairy, shriveled ass!

Levers, not letters. Dammit.

it didnt say "locks the front gate" it said "lochs the front gate"

OP back from the dead here. So how are we going to do this? Posting the save file In the thread or sending via email?

G-drive, Mega, something like that would be nice. Could be sensible to package the game itself as well.

OP here also bumping with pumpkin found at my community college.

What biome for the fortress?

jungle

Any mods?

OP here keep the thread up. Stories and cool shit are appreciated. Will get started on the fortress tomorrow. Whoever wants first turn spoiler your email and post it in the thread. Good night lads.

can't think of any off the top of my head, if you do include mods it might be best to zip the whole game file for download

I lol'd

bump

There is one inaccuracy there
Death is Armok's mercy

Just jumped on for a quick bit of DF before bed.
A giant cave spider killed about 5 of my dorfs while I wasn't paying attention.
I start sending in the cavern response squad, when the child of my fort's champion (a Swordmaster who has only once been sent to rest and has +60 kills) ran up and started fighting the spider alone.
After dodging a bunch and struggling out of web, he ended up biting it and bruising the brain.

His name is Oddom Esesherush ("Spinhandles"). He's three years old, and now has the tag 'Doesn't really care about anything anymore.'

A true dorf

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17VNXKbgZSr--cOCQCYsBvsAlDiLJFK-uMn3o9EY9plA/edit?usp=sharing

Okay if you want to be in the collab here's the signup sheet anons.

Currently fighting a wererabbit. Wat do?

Bumping

Is it sad that the only reason I could tell that this is false is the goblin/cat breeding chamber?

But why would that make it unrealistic?

The Blood Powered Blood Cannon Blood Turbines that power nefarious devices picture

Blood powered ballistas/forges?

What I found on a google search was screencaps of the picture in question, but it's good enough.

I like how it says "Fuck Year".
>Anons boner is mastercrafted and menaces with spikes of leather

Do you guys know where to find the save file? I'm setting up the game now.

Got a holy hand grenade in stock?

Calling it now,our fortress is gonna be called Antioch.

Just founded a fortress. Will this be acceptable thread?

You need to build a bronze colossus and drop goblins from it to execute them.

As a long term goal, that is.

so I just downloaded DF- how do I start playing?

Here's the fortress so far. I'll take first turn then. Any suggestions thread?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Quickstart_guide
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmNbSUujzXbgNjJi_-WHTTTD
Plus any other tutorial series you to and get along with, while the learning curve seems steep it is actually way easier than memes lead you to believe.
Especially at the beginning when you see this intimidating wall of commands at the right you have to know can get along just fine as a beginner using just a handful of them which are easy to learn.

Have fun user.

Thanks dude!

mine up! specialize in food production. Start the fast food franchise McUrist's

Dwarves so far. Have not found any metal.

Any requests for dwarf names? Who wants to be a motherfucking dwarf?

Beef Stonebeard, wrestler.

What tileset are u using, also call a dwarf Elias

I can't remember the exact tileset user. And so far more we have three crossbows so does anyone volunteer their lives for the fortress?

Hit me with some ideas lad. Show me the right way to do this fortress business.

Name one Urist

Woah man, let's not go crazy here.

Name all of them that

Step One: chop down some fucking trees
Step Two: dig under ground, create some temporary storage and a sleeping barracks
Step Three: work on building a fortress wall for mounting ballistae, catapults, and archers above ground

Urist Uristson-miner

Here on break but currently planning on building the Great Wall of Eat Shit around the settlement before I retire and give my position to one of you fucks. And my Dwarf shall be named Gus so don't fuck with him. And ideally I'm hoping for turns to be one week long but it can be longer if you want it anons. Will post more screenshots of our shitty fortress later.

What biome is the most "fun"?

Is he from Uristghanistan?