Flames of War: Kill Hitler Edition

'cause MURRICA! fork year!

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk Listener Questions Form:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Other urls found in this thread:

flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=57
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What is the most 'Murrica list I can make? I'm talking bald eagle, apple pie & baseball, ride up and punch Hitler in the dick 'Murrica.

So, we both got our lists finalized. For some reason when I said making 2k was annoying for my list he decided to bump the points UP rather than down. Fucking ruskies don't understand the concept of "smaller is better".

Anyway, my list...

And my opponent's. I'm not entirely sure it's legal, RB says something about them having to have the same tanks in HQ, Combat, and Weapons platoons.

Overall strategy is hide like a bitch from the aircraft (because air superiority IRL means you get no AA options in flames, not even interceptors), kill his halftrack platoons and infantry with the artillery, and then kill something else and outlast the 76s and Valentines somehow (hide in buildings or forests and force him to close within 6" to even shoot, probably)

How good are hellcats and jacksons? They feel a fragile but fun when outflanking things.

way fucking good. esp. jacksons. hellcats can move like wind though...

go Black Panthers. they are FV and get all kinds of rules bendy rules...

plus, lots of Black Dudes with swag and dat BBC, yo...

Its a legal list.

But seriously insist on playing at 1500 points or something. 2250 points is way to much.

Definitely going to pick some up, love their design. Just need to decide on which one.

Definitely fun. You might actually need the Jacksons too, if your gaming group likes heavy tanks. New plastic kit for them, which is definitely a plus.

101st Airborne.

Nothing is more 'Murica Fuck Yeah!

Bald Eagles as the fucking logo.

Jumping into combat from out of the back of a fucking airplane.

Talk about your big brass balls.

>dat BBC, yo...

And we're not talking about a large Scottish grouse...

>Talk about your big brass balls.

"As the story of the Battle of the Bulge is told today, it is one of George Patton and his Third Army coming to the rescue of the encircled 101st, like the cavalry come to the rescue. To this day no member of the 101st believes that they needed to be rescued."

Might be a few of those, thanks for the warning.

Is that in stores yet?

I haven't seen it by me.

So just tell him to make the points lower? 1500 is standard, in my area at least. Just because he splurged on minis and wants to bring out all his toys doesn't mean you have to say yes.

Eh, we only get to see each other like twice a year now, and sadly I didn't play FoW while we were roommates in college. We and a bunch of our friends are getting together to just hang out and have fun over the weekend (and a bit beyond).. We're the only two that play, but I did manage to convince him to play a game where each of us has two 750 pt forces, so that we can hand two of them off to some semi-interested friends (or even just do the rather interesting clash we think we'll get between the two FV infantry lists we've made). I'm just going to try and wrap the absurdly huge game up quickly and hopefully next time convince him to do a more NORMAL sized game. At least it's not the 2x 1750 list absurdity we tried at his wedding, which took us three days to reach turn 5 on (admittedly because wedding prep stuff intervened a lot). Some of you may recognize that battle.

Hopefully I can convince him after the 750s game to do a smaller one, but he's always unfortunately been of the "bigger is better" type.

>America

If it walks, give it a bazooka.
If it drives, weld a cal .50 onto it somewhere.

>Finally find a small group of grognards in area
>They only play on Sunday mornings after church
>after church
>MFW my heathen ass hasn't set foot inside of a church in over 6 years unless it's been a pizza delivery

I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing, but this is the south. Just what I need is one of them to ask why I don't show up to service and take it personally when I say I'm not religious anymore.

>101st Airborne.
>Nothing is more 'Murica Fuck Yeah!
>Bald Eagles as the fucking logo.
>Jumping into combat from out of the back of a fucking airplane.

A valid argument, but the 82nd Airborne were called the All-Americans, AND they got Robert Redford in Bridge Too Far. That's pretty fucking Murrican.

A Bridge Too Far remains my favorite WWII War Movie of all time.

What about everyone else? Favorite WWII Movies?

>Favorite WWII Movies?
My top 10 after many long years of consideration:

Come and See
Big Red One
Cross of Iron
Tora Tora Tora
The Dirty Dozen
How I Won The War
The Thin Red Line
Days of Glory
The Battle of Britain
The Tin Drum

Honorable mention: Casa privata per le SS

Is hungariboo about?

wondering if i could start a hungarian force with german plastic grenadeirs and not have it be completely wrong.

Surprised I'm being summoned of all folks, but sure.

Strictly speaking, 100% autism here... no, they wouldn't be 100% accurate. Mainly you're looking at the gasmasks and mess kits that all German soldiers would have.

HOWEVER, these can easily be shaven off in most cases with the right models. The more difficult one, and the one that to my knowledge Hungarians didn't have, is the Zeltbahn (I think I got that right) Camo smocks. I've never seen a picture of a Hungarian soldier wearing one. You could probably get away with painting them up as rain ponchos though.

Equipment wise you're fine. Not only do most Hungarian weapons look close to German ones, they straight up used German weapons toward the end of the war, as they essentially became a different looking branch of the German army over time.

Best advice, look at how the Hungarian infantry that Battlefront sells look. Then think about whether or not the plastics you will be buying can easily be converted to roughly match. Best bet would be earlier war Germans, as their kit would be damn near identical. I would heavily recommend checking out PSC's early war Germans. I bet they would be a perfect base. All you would need from there would be a few panzerfaust/shreck miniatures and some HQ teams since the crusher cap wasn't used to my knowledge.

I would post one of my many WWII Hungarian pictures but I recently bought a new laptop and don't have them on here yet, sorry.

My 25 pdrs with CMPs and my British paras just arrived today from the PSC kickstarter. I haven't played since July, but I might finally get around to making that Canadian/British para list I've been wanting to play. Anyone have recommendations for good British para lists? I normally play a Canadian rifle company so I have most of the British mainstays

>the plastic 25lbers are already out

holy crap that's an insanely fast turnaround time for a kickstarter.

I'll need to keep an eye out for the next one they do like that. I've been burned in the past but that's impressive enough to win me over.

solid advice. thanks bro

no prob, I'm not a super familiar buff on all these things, but I try.

For what it's worth, 99% of the gamers you meet would never be able to tell the difference between early war germans and Hungarians if they were painted the same. Honestly the only give away would be gas masks and MP 40's, since the Hungarians have a pretty cool looking SMG that's very noticeable. So worst comes to worse, only a very dedicated Hungarian player would even be able to tell in the first place.

They were a couple weeks behind schedule but only because they were waiting on the decals to get printed.

>Letters from Iwo Jima
>Pic related
Actually, I loved pretty much all finnish war movies I've seen.

I've been wanting to see this one for ages, but I have never found a subbed version.

It's a very dry, matter of fact account of the battle. No cg and marvelously authentic gear, tanks and action.
In other words: perfect

If someone were ever to ask me what it means to be a grog, I would have to link to this, because this sums it up perfectly

>I loved pretty much all finnish war movies I've seen.
There's this one called "Lupaus" about the Finnish women's auxiliary, the Lotta Svärd, which I caught by accident one day and found to be fascinating. It was very formulaic/predictable but I do like the more obscure topics.

Links to any of these movies for streaming would be grand.

The Yanks are a Firepower Doctrine army, probably the winning doctrine of WWII

So the most Murican list would be an infantry company with all the CT guns you can muster.

How many artillery platoons can you fit into a late war Infantry company?

>If I do use Bulge I'll just settle for armored mortars in that case. Bridge at Remagen's 3rd armored units being reluctant leaves me feeling somewhat reluctant myself. Does their vet status make up for it enough or should I always take 9th armored units from there?
Reluctant is actualy better, since it makes them so much cheaper and vets are harder to pin anyways.

The Battle of Midway is one of my favorites. Same style as Tora, Tora, Tora except more Nips getting smashed by FREEDOM.

FLGS is putting together an order for Old Glory so I decided to order 9 of their Command Decision T-55s. Once I put them together and paint a couple I will post my thoughts. I'll need to sculp or 3D print the armor for the brow of the turret. Not sure if there would be a better way to go about it. The rangefinder is easy since it's a box.

>I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing, but this is the south.

Don't worry about it too much. It's not really their business what you do or don't believe.

I know it's hardcore JesusLand down there, but I'm sure you're not the only heathen living in the Deep South.

But if you start hearing banjo music... Run.

And if it makes you feel any better, it's not exactly sunshine and roses for non-believers up north either. Especially if your family are hardcore believers.

Hell, my brother is a Priest for christ's Sake. How do you think that works out most of the time?

Probably not as much fallout as I could have considering one of my uncles is a traveling evangelical preacher.

He's a super nice guy, he spends every waking moment trying to do something to help people, but man can he preach some fire and brimstone when he wants to.

But yeah, I don't mention jack shit about religion down here unless I know the person pretty well. The odds of some serious fallout happening is really low, but it's far more likely that you'll get worried over because you're not saved. Which is sweet that they care and all, but after turning down the 30th offer to come to church with them it gets old.

Honestly if I'm going to bitch about anything down here, it's the lack of wargaming, especially historicals, unless I want to drive to Nashville which is over 2 hours away. It's taken a crazy amount of work just to get a 40k kill team group off the ground, which was essentially started by me because I needed SOMETHING to get the fix and a lot of people got excited when GW "updated" kill team.

At least I can convert a bunch of historical type regiments for my guard and slowly get them hooked on history, but odds are it'll be years, if ever, that I can get any real historicals community down here.

>No recce
>Only template is air support
>Fighting FV infantry company with Bulldog and TA 3 everywhere
He's going to have a "fun" game there. Just make sure his tanks have to assault into defensive fire from one of those gun platoons of yours (6 or 25, they both penetrate side armor well enough), and enjoy his frustration.

It's FV infantry with TA 3, but I worry about the lack of longer range AT.

A platoon of AT guns and a Sherman & Firefly platoon still have to worry about 20 tanks.

my dddiiiiiiiiiccccckkkkkkk

So why did the germans have that large frame on top of their radio vehicles, anyway?

Radio antennae for a large-ass radio.

Oh hello.

Either that's a doozy of a typo, or...

I think thats the antenna but I could be wrong

V4 is coming up, with a revamp of MW and moving to points similar to Team Yankee.

radio antenna.

When are those coming out? I'm Spahbro from a few threads ago, those are perfect.

Plz no

No idea. THey published the image on their facebook right now.

Opinions? Lots of firepower, but not exactly mobile. Not entirely sold on the Pillboxes, but in EW they'll be a bastard to assault.

They just posted saying 15mm releases in January.

It has to be a typo.

Even if V4 launches with Mid-War, it will most likely have only one or two new books out by the time any tournaments start to happen.

Meaning anything not using the supposed TY style points would not be valid.

Also, why TY style points for MW, but not the other eras?

>Even if V4 launches with Mid-War, it will most likely have only one or two new books out by the time any tournaments start to happen.

The V4 rules will have a mini army book with them, just as V3 did. Certainly enough to run a tornament with.
>anything not using
Considering MW has just 2 package books ATM, it's the easiest to test the waters with.
>Why only MW
Because the other periods have a lot more content and thus more bother involved with porting them.

What is the recommended number of Leo 2s to take for a 100pts list?

It's a drying rack for the laundry day

5-7 if you want to have a good amount of support

It depends on what else is in the rest of your army list.

If you are going for a tank formation you'll likely want 4 or 7.

1 HQ, a platoon of 3, and perhaps another platoon of 3.

It'll be interesting to see how they compare to BF's!

This is a different wheeled recon vehicle than the kit BF are putting into plastic.

PSC really is being savy about what kits they are putting out. Not trying to directly go toe to toe with battlefront, but beating them to the punch on some solid kits that people will want in their armies.

Dear God no. TY points work for TY, but there is no way to make them work for the vast options of equipment and training in Mid War.

Oops, that's embarrassing. I see it now.

Actual link?

This is Veeky Forums after all. I could easily believe this is just trolling.

flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=57

Do note that the 100p MW is for Historicon, and specifically Africa

It's not too bad - any difference of 15 points can be represented as +/- 1 point in the TY system.

No more +5 pt upgrades though.

Huh. Okay then.

Not sure if I like it or not, but then again does it really matter if a full sized game is 100 points or 1500 points if the same stuff is represented?

The only reason they're really doing the whole "100 points" thing is because it sounds smaller than 1500 points.

Well that, and because games where 100 is the norm, like X-wing, are more common and popular than games like 40K where 1500 - 2000 is the norm.

Never mind that X-Wing is popular because most people aren't into the hobby aspect of tabletop wargaming rather than the way the numbers work.

But I think it'll be okay - just divide everything by 15, and if something would then cost 1/3 or 1/2 a point, force you to get two or three at a time.

Dammit, I did not type that captcha wrong. This keeps happening.

Does this game really do small shit? The fact heavy tanks come in a box of five kind of pushes me away from the game.

I think 5 is just a convenient number to box up, you generally dont get many games with that many heavies, and if you DID put 5 heavies down you'd have practically nothing else on the table

You lose resolution in points differences. I think losing 5 and 10 point differences in upgrades and between tanks. We can probably get by without it, but we will lose some ability to fine tune lists. They should have just divided by 10 to give us 150.

I dunno i sort of like the idea of one or two squads, a weapons team or two, a scout vehicle and an IS2 or Tiger, but the game seems designed for much larger games.

A lot of tournaments swing between low points and higher points. Future Tournament I'm going to is going to be 1390 points. I mean have you considered Bolt Action which is basically what you're after in terms of scale?

Because you'll rarely need anything more than 2-3 of some Heavy Tanks, like King Tigers or Pershings.

It's a company based game, not 'Lt Jackson, his drinking buddies, and a single tank and single gun they lifted from the armour'.

You're looking at around half a dozen platoons a game. Sometimes more. A dozen or so tanks, plus a dozen or so support stuff. A few platoons of infantry, with a few platoons of support.

If you want small scale stuff, try bolt action. That's a reinforced platoon scale, similar to 40k.

Seconding this.

FoW is for large company-sized battles, not small platoon-sized battles.

>similar to 40K

>similar to old 40k

FTFY

The Pz IV looks a bit janky.

Really hope they come with desert and europe uniforms; if they do then hey, Kampfgruppe Swoboda here I come.

stop I can only get so erect

Wats the stuff in the back for, more TY?

The Volksarmee which is the East Germans scheduled for next year.

Ah. No plastic t-55s tho?

No, according to all of the new stuff we've heard from Battlefront it takes a year of turn around time for them to get plastics into our grubby little mitts. And then Team Yankee was such a runaway success that it basically defied all of their expectations. So no. No Plastic T-55s. Maybe in the future when other companies start poking their fingers in that particular pie.

?

Sorry phone ate my post apparently.

So they're not doing plastic tanks, but they have plastic brdms for volksarmee?

Well the BRDMs are usable for the main Red Army as well. So I dunno. Maybe?

I guess we'll see. I doubt it though. The only thing keepijg me from buying uo a bunch of old glory BRDMs is that I don't know the platoon size and Old Glory sells all their command decision stuff in packs of 3.

He means "they'll do plastic T-55s when PSC starts stealing their lunch on them".

Though I'm feeling a bit more charitable, I assume they wanted plastic T-55s, since they're going to be in a load of other books.

Hey /fwg/ I have been playing for a while with friends, and when we first got in, we played mid-war. I played an American OSS platoon. Now I want to start playing late war with a local group. The problem is that OSS are all small bases, but I can't find a late war army that uses small bases as a primary force. Anyone got any pointers? Preferably an American force.

>tl;dr user only has small base American infantry, What do I do?

Sorry, user, but I'm fairly certain that the OSS are the only ones only on small bases.

A lot of the Volksarmee stuff was brought forward from the Soviet release we are getting in early/mid 2017.

I've only ever played a demo of flames of war.

I kinda wanna try it but have no friends that play anymore.

Should I just show up at gamestores/friends gamenights with TANKS skirmish game instead?

Do you think that would be a good intro? Is the set good value?

Only other 15mm stuff I have is 4 unbuilt Panzer IVs from PSC I got for doing a FOW demo years ago.

Tanks could be a decent tie-in, but rules-wise it is closer to X-Wing than it is to Flames of War.

Does FOW have any varient rules for Tank battles if I ever decided to make the jump?

Yes. It's called "using a Tank Company" (as in, Tank battles are integrated enough into the rules that you don't need any special rule sets for it).

It's very likely that your average infantry list will have at least one platoon of tanks, and if you choose to run mechanised or tank companies, far more than that.

A typical yank tank list might have 10-20 tanks in it.

Flames of War's scenarios also adapt in that respect. Most of the time, the attacker and defender are asymmetrical in terms of their objectives, special rules, deployment zones, etc. Some missions have you roll off for attacker/defender, but many use a priority system. Tanks attack Mechanised attack Infantry attack Fortified.

Thoughts on this terrain?

Alright, I'd add some hedges/bushes to the sides of those roads at irregular intervals but it's otherwise fine.