/STG/ Star Trek General

Space Suit Dave Edition

Last Thread: A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RJudJ9S579A
youtube.com/watch?v=6K7C7f9tqtk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Sarina, not Lauren. And poor Julian. He really needs help from Miles, doesn't he?
I meant what I said. Sarina works for SI and infilitrates S31 when she sees Julian again, and knows about his James Bond style fantasies, and plays with him over them. So she's a Bashir girl.. Interestingly, after a bit, O'Brien and his family go to Cardassia Prime at Garak's request to help the rebuilding, and we get to see Keiko browbeat a terrorist into surrendering. Which impresses the hell out of Gul Macet.

>Sarina works for SI and infilitrates S31 when she sees Julian again, and knows about his James Bond style fantasies, and plays with him over them. So she's a Bashir girl..

That really does seem more Lauren's style than Sarina's. Either way, ouch.

>Interestingly, after a bit, O'Brien and his family go to Cardassia Prime at Garak's request to help the rebuilding,
I could only imagine the response being "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAH! No."

>and we get to see Keiko browbeat a terrorist into surrendering.
Well, she is a Japanese Hate Ghost...

Wait, no, a Japanese Hate Ghost wouldn't have browbeat him, it would have cranially detonated him.

Hrm...

Keiko is basically everything that's soft and sweet about modern Japanese culture, sanitized for a Western audience. She freaked out about the idea that O'Brien's mum or gran actually prepared food by touching actual meat - like, from an actual animal - with her hands. Somehow, I don't see her as ever having kicked her enemies to their knees, taking a knee behind them, extending two digits and screaming "TEN THOUSAND YEARS OF PAIN!" before kancho'ing them into orbit. (In her defense, doing that would be awful, and someone who actually did it would be awful. THREATENING to do it, on the other hand...)

I wonder how she'd react to the Kiryuin Sisters, who have lived by the sword for the better part of two centuries. (Albiet with long periods of nothing but smacking each other with bokken whilst they were chilling in what I can only assume was a SWEET Japanese manor innawoods on Ba'ku.)

>I wonder how she'd react to the Kiryuin Sisters,

She'd probably thing they're horrifically out of date and if not stereotype, then certainly as peculiar as Worf's incredibly old-fashioned, highly at odds with reality notions of Klingon traditionalism, and that they have little to no place in the 24th century.

And she wouldn't be wrong either, they are horrifically outdated at the very least

So no one else saw that Q brought a mariachi band to Picard's wedding?

Well what other type of band would he bring?
Of course he'd bring a mariachi band
You know how hard it is to get a real live band in a future with no money? You have to like actually convince these assholes to travel out there to perform on promises of political favors or some shit. Thank god Q can just pop a band into existence for free.

>You know how hard it is to get a real live band in a future with no money?
As a Q? Not very.

>You know how hard it is to get a real live band in a future with no money?
You do know that even if Feds have done away with fait currency. They could still barter for your services. Feds really are commies at times since money is kind of worthless to them.

So has anyone archived all the Ark Royal stuff? It would be a shame for it to all go to waste.
And if there are still anons interested, we should figure out how the Ark Royal itself is outfitted. Since we have so many interesting characters as crew, it should reflect in the build of the ship.

What class is it? Constitution? Enterprise/Connie Refit? Excelsior?

Excalibur class I think.

The fucking huge one.

It's a holding box for all of Starfleet's crazy so it would have to be fairly huge.

Also so much innatubes.

All the pics I've seen depict it as pic related
Though hell if I know what it's called
Really I think the Ark Royal is a class of its own as the ship is supposed to be a fucking floating city so any massive ship would do this Ascension class for example is listed as 1400m

So what's the crew pop. like on one of those? So when you say city, do you mean like a total of like 10,000 people could live on this ship comfortably? We are talking like SDF-1 size for people moving, right? So you could have like an actual mall in the heart of this thing?

Well since it's in the left of pic related, I'd say around 1-1.5k. Not stupidly large, but bigger than a Galaxy.

>And she wouldn't be wrong either, they are horrifically outdated at the very least

Perhaps, but they're Augments, and thanks to that Ba'ku rejuvenation field, they have the bodies and some of the mental plasticity of teenagers again, so they can learn real fast.

As for being outdated, well... They're descended from Japanese Augments who escaped from Khaaaaaaaaan's Eurasian types before the end of the Eugenics wars, fucked off innaspace, and settled a planet somewhere. They were born in the early 2200s (like, pre-2210,) became embroiled in a plot to control the planet which led to Ryuko confronting her mother with drawn swords on some kind of orbital mind-control platform, destroying The Device and watching her mom seppuku herself.

Deciding "fuck this," they split, left to head out innagalaxy, joined Starfleet, and derped around until the Four Year War that Project Axanar would have showcased. At that point, they stopped all holding back, rose quickly, became Captains of Ares-class Heavy Cruisers, and towards the end, used their swords and defended a space station from a ton of Klinks with bat'leths and shit who were using the disruptor tetryon field trick to disable all the feddie's phasers. They had a last stand and survived it.

Then came the end of the war, Some People knew what they were (IE, Augments,) and told them that their careers as Starfleet Captains were over... But that they were still wanted by some people; had they ever heard of Section 31?
Satsuki quoted Article 14, Section 31. Then they both drew their swords and pointed them at the guy and told him in no uncertain terms that if Section 31 ever crossed their path again, it would have made a pair of lethal and implacable enemies; go ahead and ask Kiryuin Ragyo and the Klingon Empire for references. That guy let them leave peaceful, they left, and then they began derping around the galaxy on their own.

At some point, they wound up on Ba'ku, chillin' and regeneratin'. The Ba'ku probably thought they were weeeeird, especially since instead of stabilizing at a nice calm ambiguously thirtyish age, their Augment genes meant they stabilized as late teens. That suits them just fine.

I imagine the Ba'ku probably didn't have much use for them teaching their youngsters the fine arts of kenjutsu, or even kendo, but they were probably happy to just leave well enough alone, live-and-let-live style, especially since it's an ugly truth that any pacifistic society needs to have someone around who's willing to do violence on their behalf. The Kiryuins might well have stepped in and kicked Ruafo and his crew the hell off the planet at the point of their swords (and phasers; they're not stupid) when those guys wanted to be shits.

And after Star Trek: Insurrection, of course, they'd have decided to get back out for a spell, gone and reenlisted. They never lied, but through some kind of bureaucratic clusterfuck and/or the actions of someone sympathetic to them, never got called out on their claims to being 200-year-old former Captains, or their stated nature as Augments. Then: Space Whale Time, because we can't do without these crazy superexcellent ladies, and we don't want them anywhere near a crew of normals.

So, yeah. They're super-weird. Comfortable with bloodletting, insist on wearing swords whilst on duty (and usually whilst off-duty,) quick to resort to violence when the ship is under attack (but not as quick as, say, Lt. Cmdr. Reed, or Dave Innatubes,) and consider Section 31 to be kill-on-confirmation....

Keiko would be horrified.

Making threadcaps is exhausting. Should we just start a 1d4chan page instead?

If we did that, we'd need to start including everybody's headcanon then. That one user's anti Borg starfleet was pretty cool, if a bit long winded.

So, did we ever decide on the captain for the Ark Royal? Last thread seemed inconclusive.

>Gul Macet
Let me guess, he's on the committee of street lamps and other public light fixtures??

No, that's Madred. Macet is the first Cardassian that the guy who played Dukat played. Macet's basically head of the Cardassian military, such as it is. And is still rocking those chops, as well as being the nicest Cardassian period, making an effort to make O'Brien feel welcome on Cardassia.

what the fuck is all this fanfiction.net bullshit and why has it taken over my trek thread?

Every general has a few. This is Veeky Forums, after all.

>my trek thread
Don't see your name on it.

Did he ever get his hat back?

> Be Kiryuin Ryuko, Lt. J.G., Security Division.
> Slam your fist into the hardwood executive shipping & receiving table in the Aft Cargo Bay Office. The table makes a satisfying sound.
>> This shit is unacceptable! That's the third time this MONTH that hostile boarding parties rendered the environment unfit for habitation and only Dave was properly equipped to deal with it. I know the jokes everyone makes about Security personnel, but just because my subordinates are wear red shirts does NOT mean they're expendable. The standard EV softsuits are such crap that they hinder us in a fight. My sister, myself, and Lt. Reed are the only people on this ship who can fight effectively in the damn things, and they don't offer any protection whatsoever. Shrapnel goes right through them. Yesterday I had to use a Jem'hadar's ketracel tube to tourniquet my ripped sleeve. We NEED Solanae suits.

>> No.
>>> Dave is in on this conversation. He's not present, but his voice comes through your commbadge nontheless.
>> We've had this discussion before. If people can mistake others for me, it will lead to Bad Things happening. Trust me on this.

>> We have to do something, Dave.
>>> Ensign Emily Sansnom is in on this, of course; it's her office.
>> My Cargonians were driven back from those Jem'hadar she mentioned when they deployed acid gas grenades. Shit started eating through our masks. It's a good thing I had a hover-pallet loaded with a heavy crate in the area, you were busy killing their saboteurs Innatubes.

>> I've got it!
>>> With a snap of her fingers, Lt. Sommers interrupts.
>> Tactical Conn Exosuits.

>> What?

> Cont.

>> Tactical conn exosuits. Squadron 5's armorer put together the specifications. He reverse-engineered the Solanae exosuit, extended-duty tactical operations kit, and Peregrine fighter pilot's suits. They're overengineered, armored low-profile body armor environmental hardsuits with EVA capabilities. Take a look.
>>> Displays the specs on Pic Related. Noises of assent come from all around.

>> Should be fast enough to get on, good enough to wear for an extended operation. Sturdy in a fight, flexible enough for melee, hardy enough to stand up in a firefight.
>>> This meets with your approval as a professional purveyor-of-the-peacemaking-arts.

>> I know it's comfy enough to wear for long stretches whilst sitting down and operating a console, so it's good for use at duty stations as well as in a fight. I have one in my ship.
>>> Runabout Anne approves.

>> It's complicated, but looks properly ruggedized, and doesn't seem to use any particularly exotic materials. The armorer already built it to self-adjust to a certain degree, so it shouldn't fuck up our logistics too badly. The only hitch I see is that we'll need to stock the lockers with extra helmets for Andorians and other species with unusual head shapes, but... It can be done. We can begin replicating them shortly.
>>> The Cargo Bitch approves.

>> Okay then. We'll feed the old-style EVA suits into the industrial replicators and start stocking these. Cargo, Security, and the flight decks should be the first general issue roll-outs, followed by Engineering, then the airlocks, then the internal suit lockers.
>> Obviously, our custom suits are going to be the first ones. Don't forget the girls on HMS Stealth.

>> When do we tell the Captain?
>>> The Cargo Bitch sounds worried.

>> We don't. Once we're rolling them out to Engineering, I'll have a talk with the XO. We'll butter her up with customized suit just for her, she'll turn on the pheromones and smooth everything over.

>>> How shit gets done.

What scene gets you every time?
For me its gotta be this:
youtube.com/watch?v=RJudJ9S579A

Look at his face. He's like "Christ, these kids suck."

Should we add "mary sue fanfic" to /stg/ bingo?

youtube.com/watch?v=6K7C7f9tqtk

In " a fistfull of data" Worf modified a combadge to create a, albeit limited, forcefield generator.
Considering the amount of tech inclined crew onboard surely a more practical version could be wipped up for Security?

In the various Trek games featuring in-person combat, you can indeed wear portable shield generators.

Ever since JJ, we've got no good new original continuity material. And in fairness if there's one fandom that has been totally overrun with fanfic since day one, it's Star Trek.

If Trek took all its technology to its logical conclusion, Starfleet would be entirely automated with no meat crew at all. Sometimes you need to just not have things because it's a convention of the genre.

Alright folks. I gotta go have lunch with my mom, but I threadcapped all of what happened in the last thread. Until then, I leave you with this.

Might be no bad thing. The Idea had merit but now it's just a trainwreck of fetishes and cliches.

>The Idea had merit but now it's just a trainwreck of fetishes and cliches.
Considering that Star Trek started as one man's sci-fi story made up of fetishes and clichés. I don't think /stg/ is doing that bad a thing so long as we kind of keep the spirit of Trek alive.
Like having a lot of exotic and hot alien/human ladies aboard as crew and recurring villains/annoyances.

Have you anons spoken with your mothers lately? Friendly reminder that they'd probably be glad to hear from you and hear that you're doing alright. Especially if they're the ones who got you into Trek in the first place.

Anyway, threadcaps incoming. I'll start with the first one.

Aaaaaaand I'm spent! If I missed anybody/anything, sorry, but hoooooly crap that last thread was packed with Innatubes and Innatubes Accessories.

I have a question regarding Starfleet Ranks.

Would a captain serve as a first officer to a flag officer, when aboard a starship? I know it's not unheard of for a captain to serve as adjutant to an Admiral. But does an Admiral get a commander as their Executive Officer or does it scale up?

Typically speaking, an Admiral would not be the direct commanding officer of a starship. An Admiral would be directing fleet operations from a flag bridge, which is separate from a ship's command bridge.

But if an Admiral was wearing the hat of a ship's captain, the ship's XO would probably still be a Commander, not a Captain.

Thanks kind user.

Someone suggested a Vulcan who went off the rails but it was contested by multiple anons.

Someone else suggested an old Rigelian who was trying to survive to retirement and was real sick of this shit.

It was mostly ignored but mildly disliked.

So if, for instance, an Admiral was commanding a fleet from aboard a Galaxy class ship, they would command from the battle bridge while the ships general crew commands from the normal bridge (or the inverse)?

So what era of Trek do you guys prefer the most? I like most eras well enough but I have a soft spot for TNG era tech. If we go too far in the future in Trek, it seems the setting turns into Doctor Who which I have a large distaste for. Not Dr. Who itself just Trek turning into Who. Time shit always kind of goes off the rails unless you do it a bit campy at least imho.

Nope. He'd command from the center chair in the primary bridge.

2278 to around 2315. The rise of the Klingon killer fleet in a Post Organian Treaty environment, to the change of mission to a pure exploration focus as the Romulans become ever more insular. It's a very fascinating era that can be played as a simple war RPG, to spy games, to something where you have old war dogs incapable of adapting and pushing for interstellar war.

I'm of a similar opinion. Trek rarely handles time travel well. Even "good" time travel episodes suffer from paradoxes and plot holes most of the time. That isn't to say that time travel isn't a god idea in a science fiction show, it's just not the banker that the writers seem to think it is.

As for my favourite era of trek? Well that's a tough one. I love the aesthetic of the WoK era. The Miranda and Excelsior are personal favourites. But I probably have more affection for TNG/DS9 as a setting.

Honestly I want to see a bit of the Cardassian War era, between the 2. Maybe a story revolving around Maxwell and his crew aboard the Rutledge.

What the fuck even is that monstrosity?

USS Freudian Nightmare, standing by.

So far the only stuff that seems particularly out there to me is the 'centuries-old girls that look underage teehee and also they have katanas because why not just stuff every weeb trait we can into this'

There should be several; there's certainly enough material. Then we could play bingo for real.

>2278 to around 2315
That reminds me are there any strong schisms happening in the UFP during this time? It seems the Cardassians have fallen and the Romulan empire is falling apart. And the Klingons are on the war path again. So I would think this is the perfect time for Star Fleet to expand and up gun a lot especially with all the Undine dicking about. Not quite the Terran Empire but something enough to make even Borg think twice when entering UFP space.

Right then, guess I'll put forward a third idea for one. Criticise/deride as required:

>Liberated borg drone, previously a starfleet captain
>reinstated once disconnected from the collective, but her time with the borg greatly affected her mannerisms and approach to problem solving
>Gives zero fucks about putting spin on their actions for starfleet approval, only cares about the optimal solution to the issue at hand
>Fell out of favour because of this; as brought up in the previous thread, you can bend or outright break the rules if you can win over the admirals in the aftermath, but if you don't care for that kind of politicking (and have a dash of good old fashioned cyber-autism) it'll bite you in the arse.
>Gets relegated to the Ark Royal; still loyal to the federation and its ideals, but not an officer starfleet wants in the public eye.

Attitude to the crew/approach to command:

>Mixed.
> On one hand, she appreciates the way in which the crew have organised themselves to be insanely redundant in case of attack; any assailant will meet with a swift response, either from Innatubes, Cargonia, security or frankly any one of the other madmen on board. Multiple redundancy and decentralisation means increased resilience.
>On the other, actually commanding them is an uphill struggle; Innatubes is a law unto himself, Sansnom does her damnedest to brush incidents in Cargonia under the carpet, and so on.
>Overall approach is thus controlling, but usually accommodating. Not upset by breaches of federation protocol if they serve a purpose, infuriated by being left out of the loop on major events on board.

(cont)

Personality/other traits:

>Clinical and cold. Analytical. Pragmatic.
>Something of a control freak. Has to know what's going on on -her- ship, leading to friction between them and many of the more cavalier crewmen.
>Soft, slightly clipped speech.
>Augmented physique and senses from remaining borg implants; as having them has saved her skin more than a few times, stays conspicuously quiet whenever the dangers of Augments comes up in conversation. May be turning a blind eye to Hipps' genetic tampering.
>Secretly worries that they never really regained their humanity; former peers shun them, people stare at the cybernetics jammed into their flesh, and ideas that seem perfectly reasonable to them are rejected as "going against the spirit of Starfleet". Has yet to seek counselling over this, partly because they fear being right, and partly because they'd probably just get punched and told to pull themselves together.

>Nope. He'd command from the center chair in the primary bridge.

Wrong! Only a TOSSER or a BOSS would do that, and amongst Starfleet Admirals, only James T. Kirk may lay claim to the title "Boss."

A flag bridge is a specialized command center optimized for fleet command and control, it would be neither the Galaxy's main bridge nor its battle bridge. Imagine an old admiral and a bunch of his staff in a room, the centerpiece of which is a giant map table, with lots of viewscreens on the walls all around, displaying tons of fleet-level relevant tactical data that aren't what the guys flying the ship need to be worrying about, but which are what the guys flying the whole fleet need to know.

Not fucking underage, you dipshit. Think "Just enlisted out of High School" rather than "Lt. Commander age." And that's a relative thing - you'd only really notice it if they were out of uniform.

I... Actually KIND of like this one, not hugely but more than the control freak Rigelian and the frankly cliche off-rails Vulcan, but I don't think Starfleet would entrust someone they don't actually TRUST with command of a vessel as xbox YUUUUGE and dangerous as the Ark Royal. It may be a maniac containment zone, but it's still an absolutely gargantuan Explorer++ starship. Not something you want someone you aren't 100% certain about in command of...

Though, she would also be one of the good reasons why Spinebreaker Trogarch isn't necessarily the best sort of counselor for a ship: people hold off seeking help on their issues for fear of being punched right in the goddamn face. It's a great way to get the number of visits to the counselor's office down, an absolutely terrible way to actually treat people.

> cont.

Oh hell yes. That really completes the set.

I'm going to assume was human before getting Borged. Possibly received her Borging one one of those vanished colonies the Federation and Romulans were investigating at the end of the first season.

Maybe considers that technological enhancement is a valid means of enhancing standards of living and the experiences of life in general if used responsibly and bemoans the fact that the Borg have done for cybernetics what the Augments did for genetics.

Has point blank refused to have any additional implants removed beyond what is needed for safeties sake. Considers the metal as much of her body as her meat. Believes the division between machine and living to be false reasoning. This may be part of the reason why she has occasionally referred to the Ark Royal as some sort of a living thing.

Rather than futilely trying to control the crew and get them to adhere to any sort of order instead just tries to direct their madness along useful lines. Or at least into pursuits that aren't too dangerous/insane. Lessons were learned after Chief Engineer Barclay disassembled what was left of his Reality Violation Engine after the whole "Doom Horizon" incident.

Actually, why IS Spinebreaker on this ship? I don't imagine she went to Starfleet Academy. Civilian specialist? This ship full of eccentrics seems like the absolute worst place for her. Can you imagine Chief Engineer Barclay entrusting this madwoman with any of his problems?

I can't. He'd probably be broken in half in one punch, and never speak to her again. Like, turn around and walk the other way if he happens to even see her in the halls. And as good as courtesans and holodecks may be for general morale, they aren't much good at resolving real issues.

Seems like this ship needs a REAL mental healthcare professional. Or more like an entire staff of them, given the ship is ~1,500 crew strong.

As for ex-Borg of Starfleet... Ehhhh...

Well, shit, now she has a pic What's her name?

Actually, can we assume that she just got transferred aboard, and Rigelian Hardass and Matriarch Spinebreaker retired together, had a nice violent Klingon wedding ceremony the entire crew attended and applauded, then flew off back to Qo'nos to make a political power-bid?

The pic is just a generic one from the STO wiki.

As for Barclay; Matriarch Spinebreaker Trogarch can't be any worse for him than Troi.

She would be a civilian specialist merely hired by Starfleet rather than being part of Starfleet in any real official capacity. As a woman of the aristocracy she would be well educated but as a Klingon woman in the increasingly traditionalist Klingon Empire she would never be able to rule her house. Instead learned how people (mostly just Klingons) worked to aid her house in less overt ways.

She ended up on the Ark Royal because of political shenanigans getting half her family, including her husband, killed and her House stripped of all titles. The reason in large part for this was because she had always been supporting of greater cooperation between Federation and Empire and when the Undine stirred up shit and the war happened this looked very bad.

Whats left of her family sought refuge in the houses of friends, the protection for service of renowned captains and work as mercenaries. This was basically the death of House Trogarch as she had no husband for the name to be rallied around. She found refuge in the Federation due to them being allies. Due to the fact that she was still technically part of the ruling caste of an Empire they were at war with they needed her out of sight and they dumped her in the Ark Royal and she was a qualified psychiatrist educated at a very prestigious Klingon university.

A few years before the current date Rigelian Hardass and Matriarch Trogarch did get married and moved back to Qo'noS (short lived and half-assed Fed/Kling war was over) where she used her husband as the banner holder to call what was left of her broken House together. There were objections that were settled with contests of bare knuckle boxing that despite knocking on in years Rigelian Hardass won. Because he had no legal Klingon name Rigelian is now Serene Lord Trogarch.

oh hey here's a funny character. He's socially awkward in a way that Starfleet generally wouldn't accept
>well he needs a waifu, she can be equally anti-social
wait what?
>and a quirky side cast of characters
I really don't think that's necessary...
>oh and of course the half snake sex-goddess that is also similar to the original character, besides being a Borg-lizard.
Guys maybe we shouldn't overthink...
>oh and the original premise needs a redress to make it as over-the-top as possible
Really this could have been an in-joke or...
>oh and then there's this other character with a dark and confusing past...

Maybe, just maybe, Dave Innatubes was a funny side character, at best, rather than a single member of increasingly sexualised cast. What's the point of having a quirky, anti-social mad genius as a character if everybody else is also a socially awkward, insane genius. Contrast is an important part of any intriguing character. Without a base-line of normalcy, the insane antics of Nn oddball character become the mundane actions of a Mary Sue.

You've basically made All Ricks, No Morty (But also the Ricks are invincible): the setting.

>The pic is just a generic one from the STO wiki.
Hrm... If I still had STO installed, I'd take the time to customize the ex-Borg Cap'in.

It would also explain why Faith "Snek Innatubes" O'Mally is welcome on this ship. To someone who's into mechanical and genetic augmentations, the crazy mods she has, to the point of inhabiting a wholly-engineered bio-and-cyber-integrated-from-the-ground-up body, has got to be "fuck the Borg, this is transhumanism done right."

>As for Barclay; Matriarch Spinebreaker Trogarch can't be any worse for him than Troi.
Troi was never physically abusive, nor did she actively make his neuroses worse. I must register my outright disbelief at this statement.

> Matriarch Spinebreaker Trogarch's arrival and departure on the USS Ark Royal.
Hrm... Not bad. Gives her and Rigelian Hardass a non-stupid and kind-of-badass but graceful exit. Kind of a "House of Quark" situation, only where he did the right thing and stayed married to her.
I imagine that the applause at their wedding was thunderous. Probably moreso than is typically considered appropriate.

Fine, you want a straight man? I'll give you a fucking straight man. Hold on to your tits, prepare to be underwhelmed.

The courtesans remain on the ship as the Spinebreaker's most notable legacy.

Who counselor is now? The Romulan madam and representative of that band of courtesans? probably not as she probably doesn't have the paper work.

Ship needs at least one telepath. A real telepath, not some borderline have to be touching the target Vulcan or half-baked empath.

Recommend Aenar for no other reason than I think they look cool and they are basically Andorian equivalent of elves.

Don't want/need a straight man, whatever that is. I'd just prefer if there was more merit to /STG/'s first attempt at actual collective headcanon than "is quirky but also infallible space Jesus."

You ain't wrong user, and I'm the faggot who came up with borg captain.

I second the Aenar as the new ships consular. Preferably one that isn't shut in like the other Aenar and is actually very ok with "embracing cultural differences" to promote mental and spiritual health?

I don't know. Troi did on several occasions take the piss out of him to senior members of the crew. As someone who does suffer from quite a lot of the shit Barclay's character seemed to be aiming for I can honestly say I would rather receive a bit of physical abuse and would consider it a a good trade. Bruises heal a lot faster and don't wake you up a 3AM every mourning for a month or two with a no breaks reruns of all your mistakes and sins on loop for hours at a time because the brain is a merciless bastard with neither brakes nor eyelids.

And was Spinebreaker ever actually described as abusive? So far as I remember all she was described as was a no-nonsense direct attack method in everything.

Hence hiring "entertainment" specialists to improve moral. Why wait passively for problems to be carried to your door. Set out and break those problems before it gets to that for the good of all the crew.

In any case it's not much of an issue now if she retired to go back to her homeworld and rebuild her House.

>You've basically made All Ricks, No Morty (But also the Ricks are invincible): the setting.

> INTRODUCING!
Ensign Moriarty B. Skinner

Moriarty "Mort" Skinner is 28 years old and still an Ensign. He's an Environmental Life Sciences Engineer, who reports to a Lieutenant J.G., who reports to a Lieutenant, who reports to Lieutenant Commander Reginald Barclay, who reports to the Captain. His duty post is Life Support Control Room #30, which is located in the far aft starboard side of the USS Ark Royal. It's a room which is full of LCARS consoles and acces panels that allow manual access to the life support subsystems for a good chunk of the ship.

The most noteworthy thing about Moriarty B. Skinner is his name, which was chosen because his father was an Englishman named Sherlock, and his mother an Englishwoman named Irene. Despite this, Moriarty does not speak with an English accent but a carefully-cultivated neutral Federation accent. He dislikes old literature, and the detective/crime drama genres in particular, and sometimes thinks about changing his name simply so people will stop joking about it. Seriously, his friends - all three of them - ALL gave him giant, hardback volumes of A.C. Doyle stories. He's read them all. He doesn't like them. The secondmost noteworthy thing about him is that he prefers a breeze, so he wears the skant. He's not in any way unmasculine, Scottish, transgendered, nor is he receiving regular fellatio whilst on-duty. He just prefers a breeze around his legs, and the regulations permit him to wear a uniform that grants one.

He's neither gay, nor straight, but comfortably utopically bisexual, though in a safe-for-late-20th-century-television manner that only ever sees him in overtly romantic or affectionate embrace with women. He's not neurotically insecure around people he finds sexually attractive, nor is he a studmuffin the likes of James Kirk or William T. Riker.

> Cont.

He's a crewman, an engineering officer who does his job, does it well, and goes home to the cabin he shares with another Ensign eight years his junior. His hobbies include handbuilding antique clocks, collecting a geological sample from every planet he takes shore leave on, taking a paper and pencil rubbing of the dedication plaque of every ship and starbase he's ever set foot on and collecting them in a large book, and he has a green belt in shotokan karate.

It is safe to say that without the work done by Ensign Moriarty B. Skinner, the USS Ark Royal would be an objectively worse place to live and work. He's a very good life sciences environmental engineer, and under his watch, LSCR #30 operates at 99.98% of theoretical peak efficiency greater than 90% of its uptime, which is 2.1% higher than any other Life Support Control Room on the ship. His evaluations regularly feature the words "punctual," "efficient," "dedicated," and "reliable." Despite this, he has not been promoted, which does not worry him, as the average age for a promotion to Lieutenant J.G. throughout all of Starfleet is 29.

When the ship goes to Red Alert, Moriarty follows the regulations to the letter: He takes the Type 2 Hand Phaser and its belt out of the lockbox in LSCR #30, wraps it around his waist, and sits back down at his post. He does not take the precaution of locking the door, as that is not prescribed in the regs. He certainly does not hide in the Jeffries Tubes entrance in LSCR #30, lying in wait to shoot any hostiles who invade the room from a concealed position as his coworker does, and he files regular reports about her behavior in this matter that are summarily forwarded by the Lt. J.G. he reports to straight to dev/nul. Nor does he have any off-regulation weapons, booby traps, computer programs of hostile intent, personal sensor spime network, body armor or shield generator, nor any other array of extraordinary personal measures. He follows regulations to the letter.

Jesus Christ mate passive aggressive much

I didn't say Troi wasn't a shit, just that Spinebreaker would be worse, since Troi actually listened to Barclay, attempted to resolve his problems, and eventually realized that the late-80s "oh god, this neurotic guy is so funny" gossip was totally in the wrong for her as a mental healthcare professional and stopped doing that shit sometime around the time she got her ass promoted.

Whereas yes, Spinebreaker's nickname is very accurate, and her "therapy" technique was explicitly described as being to "punch the soft out of these weaklings and bring out their inner Klingon."
I'm actually imagining the old Captain ordering Ensign O'Mally to attend therapy with regards to that whole "So, you woke up in a new body; do you have any concerns that you're not, you know, you anymore?" continuity thing, and the two of them spending the entire therapy session glaring at one another and circling aggressively. Then the time's up, Spinebreaker says "good session," and O'Mally nods and slithers off back to her post.

Hey, a valid complaint was raised that the only crewmen we were featuring were quirky weirdos. So I provided a non-quirky, perfectly well-adjusted non-weirdo, a literally model Starfleet officer, who follows the regulations and exercises the leeway they give him, without finding ways to snap the intent behind them over his knee like Spinebreaker Trogarch would break someone with mommy issues.

I feel as though something interesting should happen when this guy grows a beard. I know it's missing the point of him, but I feel as though he wouldn't be complete without it.

Oh boy, I just had a thought: This ship doesn't have a Tactical Officer, does it?

>Rugoth, son of Goroth, of the House of Trogarch
>A Klingon warrior brought into the house of Trogarch by the Matriach herself after her mate died but before the house was dissolved.
>Fled with Spinebreaker as her personal guard, protecting her from all threats until they gained asylum from the Federation.
>Obsessed with weapons to such a degree that many consider him borderline insane, is senior tactical officer aboard U.S.S. Ark Royal.
>Responsible for ship to ship combat, has made many changes to the weapons systems, some of which Starfleet is very leery about.
>Modifications include but not limited to: Dual Spinal Phaser Lances in retractable housings, Wide Angle Quantum Torpedos both fore and aft, Rapid Fire Phaser Turrets, and a Quad Phaser Cannon that splits the bow seam on the nose of the ship.
>Said Torpedos are literally three torpedos worth of reaction mass crammed into one casing.
>Hates Innatubes with a passion not because of his reclusiveness, but because he has yet to share wine and spill blood together.
>Respects Jitters commitment to prepardness despite his cowardice for battle.
>Thinks the Matriach chose a fine mate.
>Has feelings for Grand High Cargo Bitch.
>Has made Klingon love poetry for said cargo bitch.
>Has yet to send them for reasons he cannot understand.
>Has a younger brother named Guroth who is better with weapons than he is.

Na, CMDR Jitters was the tac officer

>This ship doesn't have a Tactical Officer, does it?

There's the Kiryuin sisters, but real talk if I had to make a choice between them and this guy I'd pick this guy any day.

>>Modifications include but not limited to: Dual Spinal Phaser Lances in retractable housings, Wide Angle Quantum Torpedos both fore and aft, Rapid Fire Phaser Turrets, and a Quad Phaser Cannon that splits the bow seam on the nose of the ship.
Can I just say that this sounds like more weaponry than a starbase packs?

Jitters was security.

Same here. You know what Star Trek, even this variation, doesn't need? Anime.

> Ensign Skinner grows a Beard.
>> Ensign Skinner knows environmental controls.
>>> An entire Naussican raiding party was turned into a pulpy mass of shattered bones and eviscerated organmeat on the floor when Ensign Skinner cranks the gravity in their section of corridor suddenly up to 50g, in a stunningly destructive move that Space Suit Dave went on record as saying was "slightly overkill" and which Lt. Commander Reginald Barclay quoted at least a week to fully repair the damage from; said damage included severe structural damage to the three decks above and the hull, as well as the total annihilation of the deck plating on which it happened.
>>> Ensign Skinner was immediately referred for mandatory psychological evaluation and penciled in as a possible promotion candidate to Lt. J.G. come the next round of crew evaluations.

Also, I figured out who his roomie is. Give me a bit to find a good pic.

DS9 would like a word with you.

It's not a lot considering the ships size.
The Phaser Lances are forward only, though they are angled slightly away from each other at the business end for a wider arc of fire.
The Wide Angle torpedos are a full 180 degrees, and besides this and their increased destructive power, behave the same as normal ones.
The Turrets cover the gaps in the main phaser array but are less powerful, which they make up for in volume of fire.
The Quad cannons in the bow is an enlarged version of what the Defiant used, but the firing arc is shit despite the hitting power. at only about 45 degrees.

If anything, It should have a point defense phaser emitter system for those pesky shuttles/fighters/torpedos considering she is about the size of a small space station that can warp.
I skipped the beam banks because they're stupid.

Oh, another thought:
Should the Ark Royal have Ablative Hull Armor ala Voyager? What about a secondary deflector?

And yet, we can clearly see that the vessel has beam banks, and tons of them.

Remember, the ship needs to pass outward muster as a "normal" Starfleet vessel. So it'll be rocking phasers and quantum torpedoes. But with this much concentrated eccentricity, they'll all be purple-graded top-tier Legendary phaser banks and torpedo launchers with the kind of power that a station-class reactor can put into them.
Probably the launchers are also armed with additional, off-regulation munitions that can be loaded and fired as necessary, like tricobalt devices and shit.

Otherwise, the truely egregious, major modifications are restricted to the ship's small craft squadrons. Remember, Ark Royal is a CARRIER. She has three Peregrine squadrons, a Runabout Squadron and a Delta Flyer squadron, all of them maintained in full combat spec.

> Point Defense
There is no greater point-defense available to starfleet than phaser beam banks which have been properly programmed for point defense, except possibly a squadron of fighters dedicated to shooting down incoming bullshit.

>Split the hull in two.
Wahahahahahaaaa whaaat?

> Ablative Hull Armor
Well, if we import one of the eccentrics from Voyager who got a good look at that atemporal ablative hull armor tech, possibly. But I imagine that otherwise, the Bureau of Temporal SticksUpOurAsses has that shit quarantined tight behind a wall labeled "break in case of chronological incursion."

The line that bisecs the upper and lower portion of the saucer. You see it here really well. At the nose is where the quads would go, in a recess of course.

That's not the Excalibur or the Seraphim, friend. Not even close.

I should probably stop posting all of these fan-made ships.

This is not the Space Whale you're looking for.

THIS (pic related) is the Space Whale you're looking for.

Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiit. I've been thinking of the wrong ship the whole time.
Then just make a cubby holein the nose for the Quad cannons. Don't forget the shutter for when it's not in use. Can't look like we're SEEKING trouble now, we're Starfleet after all.

We don't start fights.
We finish them.

Dunno if we're keeping borg cap, but thought I'd scribble something over the portrait and roll a bunch of times on a random name gen

Installing forward-mounted cannons on a space whale that turns slow as shit? Are you SMOKING the gaght? Eating the Talaxian Spaceweed?
SMOKE the weed, EAT the gaght!

> We're Starfleet.
>>We don't start fights.
>>We finish them.

That said, this? This is truth. This is such truth. Such truth I felt it needed to be quoted separately. For truth.

>We don't start fights.
>We finish them.
the maquis are rolling their collective eyes user

Okay, so what if the space whale has multiple captains, each unaware of the other as they all report to different bridges and generally follow whatever order Starfleet throws at them

>Also, I figured out who his roomie is.

> INTRODUCING
Ensign Aiko Demora Sulu.

Assigned to USS Ark Royal fresh out of Starfleet Academy, Aiko is a chronic overachiever, from a long line of chronic overachieving Starfleet officers that have become something of a dynasty, with an unbroken line of Starship service dating back almost 200 years. Some people would rebel against such a sense of legacy; not Aiko. At twenty years old, Aiko applied to and was accepted to Starfleet Academy at the age of 16, having achieved some college-level educational qualifications at an age when most teenagers are still Sophmores or Juniors. A lifelong Starfleet brat, Aiko has lived practically her entire life aboard one vessel or another and frankly, she knows how Starfleet ships operate more instinctually than some rear admirals.

Aiko was named for two of her distant ancestors; Sulu Aiko, the mother of the legendary Admiral Hikaru Sulu, and Captain Demora Sulu, the daughter of said luminary. During her final year at Starfleet Academy, she admitted to her roomie that she saw it as more or less an inevitable fate that if she didn't wind up dead in action or the ship retired/destroyed, she'd eventually end her Starfleet career in command of USS Excelsior, NCC-2000, as has every Sulu before her since Hikaru. This statement made its way to the shrinks, and got her labeled an eccentric with possible delusions of grandeur. Nevermind the fact that she's RIGHT, and every Sulu since Hikaru HAS wound up commanding that vessel until the day they retired. It's kind of a Starfleet tradition by now; it was enough to get her labeled, and the label got her assigned to USS Ark Royal.

That was a mistake, or possibly a cunningly calculated move.
> Cont.

Does the whale have a size comparable to the SSD Freudian Nightmare?

Aiko is assigned to the same cabin as Ensign Moriarty B. Skinner, with whom she does not get along. His "do my job, do it well, and wait patiently for more responsibility to be assigned to me" approach to his duties ill-suits her, and she thinks that he lacks for ambition and drive, and should be reassigned to a starbase, or even a ground-side installation. She is young, driven at everything she does, both her hobbies and her work. Aiko is a tactical officer, equally adept in the tactical analysis role as at a weapons console, and only slightly less of a helmswoman than she is a tactical officer. She isn't yet assigned to one of the Ark Royal's squadrons, but she's got her eyes set on Squadron 1 or 2, in the Delta Flyers or Danubes, viewing it as a fast track to promotion, which she can parlay into fast-tracking herself onto Ark Royal's bridge by demonstrating skill and decision-making abilities in a high-stress, high-autonomy environment. Currently, she's assigned as a junior tactical analyst, but her skill and her family name has her wearing a Lt. J.G.'s hat, reporting directly to Lt. Kiryuin Satsuki.

Aiko never goes off-shift when there's work still to be done; double shifts are common for her, triple-shifts are not infrequent, and quadruple shifts have been known to happen. Usually when this kind of thing happens, Lt. Kiryuin orders her to either go the hell to bed, or be manually restrained and taken to sickbay to be sedated. She has had to resort to such measures to get the driven Ensign Sulu off her feet before she collapsed at least once.

Ensign Sulu bonded fast with the Kiryuin sisters, following Ryuko's claim to have personally known her namesake ancestor Aiko, first officer on USS Amaterasu, NCC-1689 under Captain Kiryuin Ryuko in 2243-2244. This claim was proven true by Ryuko's relating a family legend to Aiko, that being the reason why Aiko's name was traditionally Japanese, but Hikaru and afterwards followed Western naming conventions.

>Generic everyman paired with a classic turbosue

I can dig it

When she's not focusing on her work or angling herself for promotion, Aiko pursues her hobbies vigorously. She has had a fascination with the art of dressmaking since she was ten years old, and is a certified expert in Starfleet uniforms, past, present, potential future, alternative, special purpose, and even alternate reality. She frequently designs and prototypes new uniforms, simply for the pleasure of it; her dress uniform designs, in particular, tend to be considered far more comfortable and stylish than Starfleet's regulation issued uniforms, and practical and ruggedized enough for everyday use if you don't mind semiformal attire. [Pictured modelling an early-2660s 'Grand Exploration' era Starfleet uniform.]

This hobby led her, in her mid-teens, to her second hobby, which is historical simulation reenactment in the holodeck; anything from the pre-Federation, Earth Starfleet era of NX-01 Enterprise, to reenacting the major battles and minor skirmishes of the Dominion War. Her knowledge of history is exhaustive in the domain of Starfleet's major and minor clashes, skirmishes, wars, and oddball encounters, and she has recently raised the possibility that the historically-recorded death of Charles 'Trip' Tucker, chief engineer of NX-01 Enterprise, was falsified, citing multiple and extreme incongruities with the state of NX-01 in the historical record with its state as of the time of the loss of its chief engineer.
>> She never realized that this discovery drew the wrath of Section 31, who did in fact falsify the historical record of Trip's death. Luckily for her, the Second 31 operative who attempted to silence her drew the attention of Lt. Hela, who dragged him into a closet, interrogated him, and arranged for him to die in an apparent freak accident involving unwisely playing with an Assimilated Tribble.

> cont.

Most recently, her list of hobbies has expanded to include kendo and kenjutsu, thanks to the influence of the Kiryuin sisters. She isn't very good, and her last ancestor to be actually combat-effective with a sword was in fact Hikaru, a legendary fencier in French rapier style, but she's rapidly driving her roommate crazy filling her half of the cabin with shinai, bokuta, FREAKING KATANAS SERIOUSLY ARE YOU TURNING INTO ONE OF THOSE CRAZY NUTS TOO, and Kendo armor, which she gleefully merges with Starfleet uniform design aesthetics. She's taken to wearing a tanto blade with her uniform, and cited 'utility knife' as an acceptable device for an officer to wear, as well as a phaser pistol which has been modified with a hardware infinity-modulating chip to defeat Borg adaptation.

In an emergency, she's located very near to the good hardware, working in a tactical analysis room run by Kiryuin Ryuko, and follows the room proceedure; as the juniormost officer in the room, she dons a Tactical Conn Exosuit and arms herself with a full-auto-capable compression phaser rifle with which she covers the door, while the nextmost junior officer dons armor and draws their weapon, etc. As a tactical operator operating tactically, she's more robust than most Starfleet officers, though that only makes her about average on the Ark Royal, which sees weekly hostile boarding actions, but she's getting a rapid education in the school of on-the-job training in that field, since Ryuko frequently abandons the tactical analysis room to lead her analysts in counter-boarding operations. Aiko does not mind this, seeing that on this ship, the best defense is to be a robust motherfucker, and combat commendations can only help further her career.

Captain Imogen Bailey it is!

That was pre-Dominion War Starfleet.
After getting the shit kicked out of them for that attitude, the mood has changed, and post-2375 Starfleet would look a lot like post-2275 Starfleet in attitude towards foes foreign and domestic.

No.
Not EVEN close, thankfully. It's about 35-50% larger than a Galaxy-class; longer, wider, with a far bulkier engineering hull, but it's not "obliged to camp in the corridors" huge.

Thank you. I try.