Real life hominids as fantasy races?

How often is this done? the most obvious place would be in stone age game, Though I don't see any reason they can't be in more advanced fantasy settings.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4MF8UE/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I smell a shitstorm already

ASOIAF kinda does this. Instead of having fantasy races, there are fantastical human ethnicities/subraces. Neanderthals included.

Does anyone else here find our human ancestors extremely attractive?

modern dnd art, and wow for that matter, heavily bases dwarves on neanderthals. (aside from height of course)

i know the frostfell supplement for 3.5 introduced neanderthals as a race.
also halflings were kinda a real thing

beyond that, i havent seen it done

Neanderthals are literally dwarves.

Malazan did it. They refused to die/realize their time was ending. Humans proceeded to completely fuck them over anyways

We did a fuckton of interbreeding with other hominids apparently. I wonder how that was viewed back then? Like, was your tribe embarrassed if you brought a hobbit back from a raid as your new waifu.

Orcs

Neanderthal are kind of like Dwarves.

Hobbits from the Javanese islands.

So Neanderthals are dwarves
Homo Florensis is halflings
Who is elves?

Whole movies, RPG's, Video games and books could be made on this idea alone. You are sitting on a million dollar idea user, don't let it go to waste.

Homo sapiens

We are.

Then who replaces humans?

No one.

Neanderthals.

Have you never seen Quest for Fire user?

Ogres

Is there a bigger version of this picture?

Is anyone else a bit depressed that these species aren't alive anymore? Born too late to cuddle a Florensis; too early explore to galaxy.

Is the "too late to explore the galaxy" part of that saying even true anymore? I think they're gonna try to colonize mars within the next few decades, and most of us will still be around to at least see the first mars dome or whatever if that goes over well.

Now who replaces neanderthals as dwarves and actually looks the part. You haven't thought this through.

Elves are not homo sapiens. We are. Elves are something foreign and not human. They are magical in nature, and it's one of those thematic things that's pretty integral towards them being considered elves. If elves are even playable, they are fey like and more primitive versions of themselves from D&D or something similar. Or they can be the even more dangerous and unplayable fey things from the mounds and forests.

For what reason would Homo sapiens sapiens be elves? We are currently deemed of least concern on the Red List of endangered species by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature.

They have been saying that since the 60s mate. People predict shit like this every week. I have seen books from the 60s and 70s detailing what will be done next decade from bio domes (oldest) to robots and more.

If a future prediction sounds good it's probably bullshit. If it sounds bad it's probably bull shit. If it sound neutral it's probably bullshit. It's also bullshit if it's a prediction. It's all bullshit.

No Mars house for you or your grandkids.

ok so here is my thesis on the subject...

Our evolutionary family started way back with australopithecus (for purposes of this tree anyway)
australopithecus split several directions. One group evolved into the large and stout paranthropus group, known for prominent brows and jaws. This group was the ancestor of modern day orcs, orgres, and possibly trolls

Another lineage of australopithecus led to homo habilis which was very similar to our ancestral homo group, but was a distinct line nonetheless. It resembled our ancestral homo species in intelligence and tool use, but was in some ways more primitive. This lineage led to the first goblinoids. Their adaptability and cunning led to a level of speciation comparable to h. erectus, resulting in modern goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, and various other related species.

The australopithecus family continued with A. sediba, the direct predecessor of our homo family, which started with H. ergaster. Ergaster spread out of our ancestral homeland, becoming H. erectus and undergoing the previously mentioned speciation. One lineage, due to island dwarfism, became H. floresiensis, predecessor of modern gnomes and halflings. Other, more magically exposed groups became the ancestors of modern elves, and still others became H. heidelbergensis.

Heidelbergensis split into neanderthals and early H. sapiens. The neanderthal lineage was mostly assimilated into the Sapiens group through interbreeding, but some took up residence underground and became early dwarves.

So...anyone major Im missing?

Why would elves be more primitive than D&D elves? assuming these hominids don't all go extinct (except for humans) as they did in our world.

Denisovians

the denisovans were an offshoot of neanderthals, but they were not all that distinct. They got assimilated into real world asian populations, and i dont think they would have been the ancestors of any distinct fantasy species

Although their contribution to our family tree may have been the broad range of different dwarvish races

Been done...

Its so hard to be original

They were in a lot of the Conan stories, typically as savage creatures to be cut down with a sword.

Eh...I actually only recall two Man-Apes, one in "Rogues in the House" and one in "Queen of the Black Coast".

Interestingly, they came from two different angles. The one in "Rogues in the House" is from a tribe that is growing towards human form; more intelligent than any ape but not quite up to human intelligence. The one in "Queen of the Black Coast", conversely, is the last member of a primoridial branch of humanity that had evolved to the utter pinnacle of humanity, but then stagnated and started degrading and debasing itself.

Basically in Howard's Hyborian Age, apes can evolve into humans, and humans can devolve into apes. This happens to ALL humans races, too. The Atlanteans of the previous age reverted to ape form before eventually evolving back up into the Cimmerians. Beyond the arctic circle, meanwhile, there is a race of snow apes that would eventually evolve into the Germans.

God no. At least not in OP's pic.

Also apparently in some Aborigines and New Guinean's have DNA from an, as of yet, undiscovered species. So they have Sapiens, Denovisians and Neanderthal DNA and this fourth one.

Would you a neanderthal woman, Veeky Forums?

I would.

I mean...not THAT neanderthal woman, but conceivably there could be A neanderthal woman that I'd find attractive enough.

So... isn't this basically the retcon of the Halo backstory?

Well Neanderthals where stronger than Sapiens. So it's more accurate to say that she'd do you.

This is my magical realm.

>So Neanderthals are dwarves
I would actually oppose doing it on such simple grounds as it defeats the whole purpose of this matter. Neanderthals were very similar to humans but beyond their less neotenic features (primarily their stronger brow) the only real notable features was a more robust build, faster maturing, and a less efficient gait. They aren't short like dwarves and they don't have any features that relate them towards dwarves, if anything they are more akin to Orcs but I would oppose this relation anyway since it defeats the purpose of using actual species and subspecies.

>For what reason would Homo sapiens sapiens be elves?
We aged more slowly than Neanderthals, compared to Neanderthals we have a more efficient gait making us faster and giving us better endurance, plus we have more neotenic features. Put simply
>Humans age more slowly (a 14 year old neanderthal is pretty much done growing, a human might not even hit puberty by that age)
>Humans are faster and more dextrous
>Humans look younger and more feminine

and, there isnt anything innately savage, or violent, that we know of for Neanderthals.

>and, there isnt anything innately savage, or violent, that we know of for Neanderthals.
We don't have any real proof that they were more innately violent than modern humans. I mean there are huge limits to what we know about our relatives since they are all extinct and many ideas about them are pure conjecture. If you really wanted to base a setting on human species you could easily justify shoehorning races into categories, although I would try to avoid just making Neanderthals Orcs and Sapiens Elves and shit because it defeats the purpose. It is kind of like making a scifi setting and making all these fantastical creatures just for them to boil down to traditional fantasy races with reskins and new backgrounds.

They may have been more carnivorous than homo sapiens. One theory is that we out-competed them because we had a more diverse diet.

I want to see more hominid digimon since digimon is better than pokemon

In Mystera, they are

She looks like Eddie Vedder

I would like to see them with standard and nonstandard fantasy races too. At least Neanderthals, they lived until recently and some fantasy setting have civilisation dating back much longer. It dont even need to be pointed out that this race (well species) is actually real life non homo sapiens.

I'm surprised no one has brought up that silly Predatory Neanderthal theory yet

also speaking of that theory, check this book out, it includes not only that theory, but a whole bunch of other pseudo-scientific nonsense that would nonetheless make for a fascinating Science-Fantasy setting with some tweaking;

amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4MF8UE/

Some of them have a kind of rugged handsomeness that would do extremely well as an action movie star.

They all think of themselves as the humans.

Joke answer: YOU'RE the homo.

>Whole movies, RPG's, Video games and books could be made on this idea alone. You are sitting on a million dollar idea user, don't let it go to waste.

>million dollar idea

These don't exist. The execution, not the idea, has value.

Tell us the theory user

It's not so much a "theory" as it is an "art project".

So basically morlocks?