Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Gone But Not Forgotten edition

Discuss the lore and viability of Warcraft as a tabletop setting.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NncSTz5V9G4
rpboyer15.github.io/sounds-of-the-storm/vo/vo_hero/Gazlowe/Gazlowe - Default/Gazlowe_KillUther00.mp3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Warsong and Shattered Hand were full on warfare, due to Ogres (which likely in original universe got defeated in rebellion of Kargath + retaliatory campaign of Grom and likely Blackhand; and likely their final Emperor was not born in MU).
I like to think that the reason the Warsong didn't cross the portal during the first two wars was because they were still finishing off the Gorian Empire
it's not canon, but it makes sense

So what stopped him from hijacking the Forsaken back in WotLK?

the Helm of Domination seems to only be able to control undead that were created by Arthas or his followers

also the Forsaken seem to have developed a consciousness that prevents them from simply being controlled by necromancers

Thunderlord is my favorite leather transmog, minus the stupid belt and hat. Female rogues and druids (and even monks) look so good in it. Trolls and orcs especially of course.

my DH mog is an unholy combination of Thunderlord and Orgrimmar because I have no good looking actual leather armor

The pants, gloves, boots and chest are good base items

So, did Dindu imply we were heading into the Twisting Nether?

probably to Argus to save the Army of the Light

Threadly reminder that Lord Garithos did nothing wrong.

How are the trolls faring? Last time I checked the lore nearly all were on the verge of extermination, specially the great empires remnants.

If we presume that Grom killed his Ogre Emperor (who had one head and thus not Ogre-Magi) before Kargath started his rebellion (as Blizzard forgot that Kargath was clearly older in Warcfraft 2) when next one was on the throne (the one from Highmaul, forgot his name), then I presume that in MU Kargath's rebellion was more successful in killing Ogre Emperor, which helped in crippling Gorian Empire so hard that Orcs could spend most of the time in Nagrand, while Ogres fell under control of the Gronn.

Yeah, their racial ability is breaking out of mind control. Not being minions any more is their whole deal.

Gas the Alliance. Gas the Horde. Enslave the Scourge.

Forsaken forever.

fuck Sylvanas
Putress did nothing wrong

Neo-Scourge strong.

>fuck Sylvanas
Dear god, yes please.

Forsaken lack the og scourge's bro-aspect.

She is a rotting carrion whose lukewarm cunt is probably oozing with necrotic pus, not your waifu.

user, I'd be willing to listen to you if you didn't have such objectively shitty taste.

>not tapping necro pussy
>normies.jpg

>og scourge's bro-aspect
T. Thassarian.

youtube.com/watch?v=NncSTz5V9G4

>barely gets to second base

Not even lewd

Bad. Darkspear trolls literally don't have a racial leader right now.

Only race in the game to not have one, the troll hate is strong in blizzard.

The Orcs have a racial leader?

Saurfang, Thrall, AU Duratan...they at least have some options, yeah.

Thrall a shit.

Saurfang is literally the PERFECT orcish warrior, embodiment of all the martial honor shit.

He really is. He'd be the best Warchief, if only he'd actually step up to it.

> Forsaken lack the og scourge's bro-aspect.

That was retconned away. The Arthas book even cut out Arthas calling Kel'thuzad his friend. Nowadays, it looks like every major Scourge commanders except for KT (who was threatened into serving anyway) was a complaining lackey.

And does breaking free from the LK automatically get you that?

That's not really a retcon, so much as a detail skipped over.

Besides, Blizzard has shown that they pick and choose when they acknowledge the canonical relevance of novels.

Reminder that Garithos is a forced villain who was only in TFT to make the Blood Elves enemies of the Alliance.

He is known to be the BEST at wielding axes in all of Azeroth, and you have to duel him in an arms warrior quest

>He is known to be the BEST at wielding axes in all of Azeroth, and you have to duel him in an arms warrior quest

There is a lot of trolls that would likely want to dispute that. But then, trolls use axes differently to WoW warriors so I'm not sure it counts.

He's also well-aware of his own shortcomings and surprisingly diplomatically-minded

He has every trait a good warchief needs

Except that it's not just that bit in the Arthas book. There's also Arthas getting triggered at KT telling him he has a role in a Ner'zhul's plans, talking about how he has contempt for his Undead subjects in the Foight From Lordaeron, and dreamstabbing Ner'zhul.

Outside of the Arthas book you have Road to Damnation and and the Naxxramas trailer having KT threatened into the Scourge, Anub'arak saying he was dragged into the Scourge, Arthas plotting for the Death Knights to get clobbered and his commanders to get whooped.

Eitrigg too. I really hope we get sub race options in the future because I'd love to play a gray orc.

I'm pretty sure that, aside from that tiny bit of friendliness between Kel'thuzad and Arthas right before the latter sailed off to Northrend again, no Scourge character has ever shown any affection for another (up until Thassarian and Koltira, and even that was explicitly frowned upon).

When you pretend to join the Scourge in the one questline in Zul'drak, they do all seem awfully nice.

>IMPLYING MORTAL INSECTS SHOULD HAVE ANY SAY

and then Arthas lets you kill Brokuru because "lmao I thought it'd be funny, next time it's your ass in the fryer"

All are equal in undeath.

Arthas: I would not let my subjects be slaughtered by this rabble.

Oh totally.

Except for the Lich Kings.

And the Banshee Queens.

And the highlords, and the barons, the dukes, the thanes, the lords, the ladies, the blood queen and blood princes, the overlords, the grand apothecaries, the archmages, the crypt lords, the commanders and all the other military ranks.

But other than that, totally equal.

Given the way we see the Scourge act literally anywhere else, I can only assume that Drakuru ran a more relaxed department. Of course, since Drakuru is so fond of you (it really seemed like he wanted to be the Kel'Thuzad to your Arthas) it might just be that everyone is kissing up to the new hotness.

Absolutely not
The Agamands are sign of that, just cause you break free doesn't mean your free forever.

Honestly it has less to do with the method and more to do with the individuals. Only strong willed people are forsaken because otherwise they couldn't be forsaken (at least first generation/pre-bolvar).

>inb4 an independent ghoul/zombie who was so weak-willed in life the Lich King couldn't get him to DO anything
>because you can't bend a will that doesn't exist, or something like that
>world's laziest undead, literally just sits there
>probably doesn't even realize he's undead

I point all of you to TFT's Undead Campaign, where Arthas saves some Crypt Fiends and gets a Shade. Who both tell Arthas that they're sticking witb him. This is while Ner'zhul lost his grip on the undead in capital.

I loved this quest line so much. The Forsaken even call him "The Lich" as an honorific. He was suppose to teach necromancy too.

>Bloody NEET ghouls shitting up my /rNECROk/

And Arthas acts protective of them.

Plus, nowadays it seems like a commonly accepted thing that Anub'arak hated serving the Scourge but I never once got that impresion in TFT.

Saaaay, if you were to run a Warcraft campaign, set after TFT and largely ignoring WoW, how bro-tier would you make the Scourge? Would Arthas remain the bantz-god instead of a saturday morning cartoon villain?

Would you allow your players to play as members of the Scourge trying to regain control of the Forsaken?

all undead are equal, but some undead are more equal than others

>tfw I'd be tempted to have even mindless undead seem like they're enjoying themselves

Forsaken a best

I would make the Lich King split-personality Skeletor

Sometimes Arthas is in charge, sometimes Ner'zhul, both have different (evil) plans that occasionally run against each other

Meanwhile Kel'Thuzad is the one actually running the scourge, because the Lich King went a bit crazy after Arthas put the helmet on

They're straight fucked. They've lost Vol'jin, their only character with any sort of development. They've got basically no leadership material with any kind of screen time, and they effectively don't exist as far as Legion is concerned.

Unless Legion has a surprise Troll patch in the middle, there's probably no chance we see the Darkspear for this expansion cycle.

>Unless Legion has a surprise Troll patch in the middle,
>implying 7.3 won't be fel Zandalari attacking the Broken Isles

>fel Zandalari
>implying Rokhan won't go around recruiting the other Trolls, including the now-utterly-broken Zandalari
>implying we won't see troll armies storming the Legion's strongholds

But then I'm also the guy last thread who was hoping for all the neutral races to get mobilized from Mogu to Murlocs and everyone in between.

Wouldn't surprise me. Course, I'd prefer it if the next encounter with the Zandalari would have us siding with Rastakhan to face against Zul.

It's not gonna happen, but I can dream.

It's WoW... there's always going to be a Troll patch.

except in Wrath and WoD
>rip Drakkari raid
>rip Vol'jin being relevant as Warchief

I wish we'd gotten that Drakkari raid. It was in development and everything.

Oh well, at least Trolls are still more plot relevant than Panderans and Gnomes.

>Plus, nowadays it seems like a commonly accepted thing that Anub'arak hated serving the Scourge but I never once got that impresion in TFT.

A bio for the Crypt Lords said they joined the Lich King without getting forced.

>Saaaay, if you were to run a Warcraft campaign, set after TFT and largely ignoring WoW, how bro-tier would you make the Scourge? Would Arthas remain the bantz-god instead of a saturday morning cartoon villain?

1. Like they were in WC3.

2. Arthas shouldn't have been the Lich King instead of a piece of it.

>Would you allow your players to play as members of the Scourge trying to regain control of the Forsaken?

Sure.

Would probably run it with the players as an incarnation of the Horsemen actually, only answerable to the LK. Depending on how it goes they could either go on jobs with Arthas or serve Arthas the LK by going around and clearing out Azul'Nerub or recruiting Vykrul and similar tasks. Maybe going to the tomb of Sargaras and poking around to find out what Gul'Dan was up to and similar things.

And yes Arthas would be bringing the bants with him. or one piece of the LK which would be a completely alien existence and closer to the ancients and wild gods than who it had been previously.

>playing a TTG as a merry band of death knights going around doing the Lich King's bidding
sounds pretty fun desu

blame Titan (or Overwatch I guess...)

>Plus, nowadays it seems like a commonly accepted thing that Anub'arak hated serving the Scourge but I never once got that impresion in TFT.
His probably most famous line in TFT is "agree implies I had a choise". He submitted to the Lich King because he had to, and makes that pretty clear. I don't think he really hates being undead, but it's more because he's resigned to his fate. He's serving the Lich King whether he wants it or not, so why bother complaining?

Yeah. He's making the best out of a bad situation. His quotes with Arthas in Heroes of the Storm and death quotes in WoW indicate he's really not too fond of the Scourge.

What's he say in his banter with Arthas? I don't play enough to hear those lines.
I do like his banter with Zagara, the Zerg queen,
"Eheheh... nice.. legs..."
To which she responds, "Eugh. Creep"

when you kill Arthas while playing Anub'arak he says "FINALLY I AM FREE OF YOU"

and while we're on the topic, best HotS line
rpboyer15.github.io/sounds-of-the-storm/vo/vo_hero/Gazlowe/Gazlowe - Default/Gazlowe_KillUther00.mp3

>Warcraft
>lore

>Bubblehearth
I miss those days.
At least the Garrison Hearth has a faster cast than the bubble lasts.

It's no sillier than 40k lore.

>tfw Glyph of Righteous Retreat got removed in Legion even though it was one of the silly cosmetic ones there wasn't really a reason to remove

It's not removed, it's built in now.

>His probably most famous line in TFT is "agree implies I had a choise".

He doesn't say that. And the WC3 Crypt Lord bio says they sold out to the Lich King. Also, WC3 established Ner'zhul looked for dark souls for his army (like Kel'thuzad and Arthas) and Anub'arak was a Nerubian (who were villainous in WC3) king.

>He doesn't say that
technically the line is ""agreed" implies choice, death knight"

>the most hated combo in the game becomes baseline
>Path of Frost reducing fall damage gets completely trashed
wew

Not in TFT.

As far as individual tribes go, both the Darkspear and the horde aligned Amani do well.
The unaligned a lot less so.

huh, he doesn't

I know someone said that at some point but now I have no clue who and when

It's from "Road to Damnation" the short story that was released around the release of Naxx that had Kel'thuzad's backstory.

>Anub'arak: The nerubian race, yes. Then the master came. As his influence spread, we made war upon him, foolishly believing we stood a chance. Many of us were slain and raised into undeath. In life I was a king. Today I am a crypt lord.
>Kel'Thuzad: In return for immortality, you agreed to serve him. Remarkable.
>Anub'arak: 'Agreed' implies choice.

The short story and Naxxramas trailer have it that Kel'thuzad was threatened into the Scourge. Which is weak since WC3 established him as a a loyal servant who joined after getting impressed by Ner'zhul's power.WoW went around saying all the camaderie we saw in WC3 was all a fib or not there.

Apparently bro-tier evil was too confusing for WoW's target audience.

I took it he just realized there how there is no turning back and the weight of his decision.

Kel tried to bitch out at the last second but then realized it was cool afterwards

it's like bungee jumping, but with skeletons

So was the Lich King not actually being Arthas. We couldn't have that.

He was threatened with dying and getting turned undead.

It wasn't needed. We already had his WC3 backstory.

>It wasn't needed. We already had his WC3 backstory.
"spooky Uther is fucking with grain"
great backstory

>WoW newb alert

>He was threatened with dying and getting turned undead.

So he knew there is no dancing back from here. Dude already traveled alone to the north pole on the advice of a creepy voice in his head and he was already obsessed with death.

before patch 1.11, Kel'thuzad's backstory was "school shootings are hard when reliable personal firearms are less then 20 years old and only belong to dwarves, so necromancy"

eh, he was more like frankenstein doing mad experiments.

To be fair the biggest problem with Frankenstein's creation was that it was extremely deep in the uncanny valley and thus spooked everyone around it, this lead to it being mistreated and becoming an actual monster.

>WoW newb alert

The Keeper set is great for monks.

slootified version.

yeah. The part of the story where he goes into felix's house and talks to the old man was incredibly cool. Same with him saving the swiss loli.

forsaken are literally communists

Stalin wasn't as whiny as Sylvanas is though.