Daddy, I want to die

What mostly happens if/when a necromancer actually succeeds in reviving his loved ones?

depends on the setting
and how magic is handled in it

Skeletons don't talk back.

Wouldn't they have to heal the body first?

If you shove the previous spirit into the right body, they might have tons of wounds still open?

Or are the spirits kept in place merely by the will of the necromancer? Surely that's no way to live.

Noted

Same poster.

I've always liked the thought of spirits being closed off to the mortal realm, the God of Death is a jealous god. However, there must be holes in his defences, as with everything.

So when you finally die, boy is he going to be pissed that you stole souls from him, regardless of your intentions.

Way to contribute nothing fuck face.

Honestly the resurrection would depend on the quality of the spell. Necromancer revives are never perfect so I assume disappointing things happen.

You died already before we left home! Don't make me turn this hearse around...

Reviving a person through any means would take finding the immortal mote swimming through the infinite higher dimensions that do not cast their shadow on the four dimensions we perceive, and then reweaving it into the cosmic network of the body. Plus it has to be placed in the right point in the lattice, or the immortal mote will not have control over its corporeal form. Binding a false mote under the sway of your own will is much simpler and easier. This way you get neat imitations of your loved ones, and can command them arround. Their bod are easily repaired and fleshwoven to be much better since they are bound to you and your immortal mote, rather than trying to exercise will over a body that is not yours.

If you're able to do the former, it would be more efficient to basically shed your mortal form and rise to deity status. Finding a single mote among the infinite dimensions and their ever twisting and branching seas would break a portal's mind, driving them insane. Weaving the cosmic network behind the body is a lot more difficult than simple fleshweaving. A human, even a skilled magic user, cannot perceive it, so it would be like performing a surgery while blind and numb. So, if you are able to pull it off, congratulations on becoming a new deity. Now make sure to obliterate anyone who can name you beyond your new title. It will save you from being forced into the dreaming death.

That's just my setting, though.

So,
deities are fucked if someone knows them in their mortal life.....
I'm gonna copy that

It's one of my favorite bits from my setting. Basically, you could turn Jesus into an unliving Hastur thing if you could name him. I've partnered it with the Gods just being things that aren't tied to a domain and don't need research. They're just fucking powerful enough to weave themselves into the fabric of reality. Incarnations, like Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series, are the ones who actually do the business of keeping reality running. They're more like small gods that are just mortals taking on a role for a period of time.

>knowing god turns him into a tentacle man
Is this SMT?

It depends I suppose on the skill of the necromancer and how they choose to go about things.

The easiest and cleanest way to go about it is for the necromancer to bind their loved one's soul to an inanimate object, through which they can continue to interact with the world.

If only. No cool expressions of personal truths fighting by your side or being friends with Satan. Yet.

I was trying to go less tentacles and more mind-breaking horror that's now an unthinking, unfeeling piece of universal truth that doesn't give a flying fuck about you or the fact that it just bowled over your planet and caused huge mutations, insanity and destruction in its wake.

kek

They're likely not whole, and depending on the methods, the spirit is either puppeting the body, meaning the link of life is not there and the body continues to decay, or the spirit managed to relink to the flesh in which it's a true resurrection, despite something missing from the soul as the moment of passing is when the soul starts to fray.

In my setting (tm) reanimating the dead is done by shaving off a piece of one's soul and jamming it into the corpse before the dead person's soul fully departs while zapping the body with vital energies. Do it fast enough and you can actually fully revive somebody, though they'll start acting a bit like you. Take your time and you'll have a half-dead thing that recognizes you as master and doesn't think much. Do it to somebody with a soul too similar to yours that's too intact (ie, freshly dead) and you'll get backflow. Too much backflow and you'll be somebody else.

Well considering it was within the last 20 years that resurrection became at all popular, prior to that almost every attempt was utterly abominable

Nowadays the only ones who can afford it are the immensely rich and powerful

You can't revive the dead.
You'll never see them again Nox.

But user, I haven't even explained why backflow is a thing.
You see, souls very much want to be whole. When a soul isn't whole and is hooked to more intact soul, such as during a fresh reanimation, it will grab a bit of that other soul. Hence backflow happens if corpse soul amount > your soul amount.
Souls also heal, albeit slowly. Pace yourself and you can raise a zombie army. Fail to pace yourself and you'll burn through your soul. If you're lucky, you'll use modestly stale corpses and start getting backflow even from the trace amounts of soul left in the corpses. If you're not lucky, you'll use up all of your soul.

In most settings and situations it can't be done or goes horribly wrong. "I want to revive my loved ones" is a common non-evil (at first at least) motivation to learn necromancy in the first place, so typically the soul(s) in question are long gone and there's not telling if they can be found, what state they'll be in, if they even want to come back, or if they've already reincarnated.
Then there's the issue of the body, which likely wasn't preserved very well if said daddy wasn't already a necromancer, meaning he'd either be dropping his wife and/or kids into horrid withered/rotted shells or finding/building suitable replacements which when combined with the potentially poor state of the soul can lead to... instability to say the least.

So maybe he's already a skilled necromancer and he's present at his loved one's death with all of the appropriate tools and accouterments required to store the soul as it leaves the body and perfectly preserve the vessel. Necrodaddy could then raise a more-or-less perfect undead version of their loved one, with the caveat that as an undead they'll never physically change or grow (other than taking damage) which may have emotional repercussions and their new state of being may come with side effects such as a loss of or deadened emotions, hunger for living flesh, irrational hatred of the living, strange obsessions, or more.

There's also potential complications with gods depending on their individual stance on undeath. Could be the god of death hates being cheated, or maybe he's the more chill sort of Death that considers such actions amusing maneuvers in the great game he's guaranteed to win in the end. Maybe there's some form of fire or life god that regularly sends crusades/inquisitions to wipe out the undead. Suffice it to say there are many perils that await even the luckiest of Necromancers.

A living body without a soul is a very bad thing. See, the body needs something filling it, and remembers that it had a soul. And demons, among other things, can pretend to be souls well enough to fool a body and really want bodies.
Demon contracts with suckers are "You get X, I get your soul", which leads to the demon ripping the idiot's soul out and taking their body, then giving themselves the promised thing. But in the event of a necromancer fucking it all up, the connection between the body and the soul that was once in it lets demons go batshit: A demon who recognizes what they found can replace every bit of that soul everywhere with a demon.
This means zombies become demon-corpses (this is very bad) and anybody revived by the late necromancer is now irreversibly possessed (this is worse).

I wasn't ready for these feels

> What mostly happens if/when a necromancer actually succeeds in reviving his loved ones?
Steven King, Pet Sematary.

I BROUGHT YOU SOMETHING MOMMY!

I BROUGHT YOU SOMETHING MOMMY!

I BROUGHT YOU SOMETHING MOMMY

Assuming they achieve a genuine ressurection..
Retires, beyond keeping skeleton servants to do the laundry and stuff.

Otherwise, I guess they look into immortality. Can't have them dying AGAIN now can we?

What is this from?

Wakfu, a french anime.

Wakfu season 1

Bad guy finds artifact, goes insane obsessing over it and becomes immortal while his family leaves him and eventually dies. He realizes how much time has passed, hatches a plan to use the artifact to turn back time and wreaks havoc to get enough magic mojo to do it

He succeeds, and with his immense, world shattering power manages to turn back time all of 12 minutes

>cue the necromancer family pasta

That's depressing

See