EDH/Commander general

Steal Yo Shit edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golddec/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/commander-2016-edition-decklists-2016-10-28
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prodigy-of-the-firemind/
pastebin.com/2V6ia9fr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gimme some of that Saskia tech you guys have been brewing.

how come i never see pic related being played?

do i like bad cards?

Third for:
Virtual card advantage is strictly worse than card advantage.

>tfw trying to find ways around the exile clause on Magus of the Will
Only thing I got is Riftsweeper and Pull from Eternity. Otherwise I got nothin'. Definitely putting him in Sedris though

Token copies.

Step one: take Saskia
Step two: take 99 random cards
Step three: throw them out the window
Step four: build a good deck instead

Because token decks can make tokens more easily than that. It's a possible inclusion in Rhys, but he already has phenomenonal token generation

9 mana mostly
For 9 mana I can have a praetor and another thing.

>hating on Saskia
Are you one of those people who hates precon commanders until someone breaks one?

How bad at magic do you have to be to think Saskia is bad...

My dream with Saskia is to give her double strike, equip her with an Inquisitor's Flail, and have a Furnace of Rath out.

Followed Footsteps on Magus. Slow but it works.

I ordered Yidris deck and can't really decide what to do with it. Hermit druid, Storm or/and Doomsday maybe. Any opinions? Pic related kinda.

Storm.
Cascading through your deck with Palinchron + Heartbeat of Spring is a lot more fun than playing doomsday.

I'll never stop being amazed what scrubs /edh/ is. Saskia group slug is absolutely viable.

No, i'm one of those guys who think four colour commanders we're a terrible idea.

I'm sorry if my spikeness bothers you.

Seeing ghave and reyhan, i can't not build it.

i did buy 3 burgeoning to put into decks, too good not to pass up

I agree that 4C was a shit idea.

but Saskia is one that actually looks fine. maybe her and Atraxa for Superfriend times.

Friendly reminder that Saskia does crazy damage with a doubler on the field because her ability is triggered. Ball lightning tribal finally has its commander.

I don't know that she requires any "tech". Just the usual token vomit + mass buffs (Shared Animosity, Cathars' Crusade, True Conviction, Aura Shards, bla bla bla) will be extremely dangerous.

Add in some ramp and a Sunforger toolbox (Naya Charm and Tears of Rage to win the game) and Bob's your uncle.

Why do we have two threads?

2/2 tribal with Jamuraa and two damage doublers. Every bear is lethal.

If you had the choose to play Time Stretch OR Expropriate....which would you choose?

I only have room for one in my deck, both have their pros and cons, so Im leaving the decision to /edhg/

Jamuraa is a continent on Dominaria, user.

Better for storm is Breya

Well, I like Doomsday. I think I want to include it either way. I'm just wondering, if there's any other reason to play Lab Man. I'm also wondering that how many rituals should I run and other such things.
Still, I'm not entirely convinced with mana flares, I don't want my opponent's to benefit from my things.
Anyway, I care about power in this case, I want to build a deck that can win games in a strong meta.

I disagree, she's more permanent based combo general. Yidris seems to be much more flexible.

Weatherlight Daddy obviously, fuck if I remember generic fantasy name.

>Sidar Kondo
More like generic Star Wars name.

Expropriate. It's more fun.

Technically he is right, compared to something like 5c hermit druid or storm combo all these precon commanders are pretty weak.

That being said, every commander product is pretty weak compared to that shit, so why post? Is there some imaginary point that you think is OK to play at, and everyone that plays above that level is a competitive spike that doesn't belong in the format, and everyone that plays below that level is a scrub that needs to get good? Who decided on this point? Would it have made you happy if they made a commander that really was stronger than the strongest decks in the format, maybe something with "at the beginning of your upkeep if ~ is in your command zone, you win the game"

If it wouldn't, whats the "correct" power level of the format according to you, and why do you get to decide it?

how good/bad is gonetee?

mediocre

endrek uses black ramp better and half the time you steal total garbage

too few flicker effects in monoB anyway

cloudstone curio is a must, obviously

generic black guy, not interesting
not bad

Very bad.

Anyone have suggestions for cards or themes for this deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/golddec/

I'm trying to make it fun but not awful like my all Guildmages list.

He won't hold up in a real competitive meta, but he's playable. Obviously taking stuff from other decks means you won't always get useful stuff, but he's really easy to use over and over since the stuff he exiles can be cast even when he's removed.

Conjurer's Closet and Cloudstone Curio are alright, but given you're in black, it's easiest to just sac and recur/reanimate him. Don't forget Panharmonicon and Strionic Resonator too.

Tawnos's Coffin is stupid good with him

Full Decklists have been revealed.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/commander-2016-edition-decklists-2016-10-28

So, been playtesting atraxa deck a bit on tappedout, it's been a lot of fun. Best moment so far was a T7 allkill with 6 creatures with all at least 5 +1/+1 counters on it, then using a Kalonian Hydra/Mirrorweave combo to wipe everyone's board and get 6 triggers of counter doubling.

Of course, ideal circumstances etc, but still, t7 is pretty early.

Also, Reyhan and Ghave interact nicely if you have anything that increases the amount of +1/+1's placed on something. Reyhan's ability allows you to get 2 +1/+1's extra for 3 mana instead of a single +1/+1 for 2 mana.

So, what are people brewing from this set?

>Saskia
Human tribal token horde, Sunforger secondary, wins through Overrun effects or Angel of Glory's Rise infinite combos

>Sidar Kondo and Silas Renn
Double striking ninjas; small creatures with "when this creature deals combos damage" triggers given double strike; Cephalid Constable, blue Daxos, Trygon Predator, etc.

>Atraxa
Voltron. Put swords on her and swing. Slight preference for equipment that create counters, like Jitte, colour rings, etc.

>So, been playtesting atraxa deck a bit

I meant the default out-of-the-box one.

Alright /edhg/

Ive retooled my Niv-Mizzet Spellslinger deck a good amount by removing any unneeded pieces that didnt live up to expectations and cleaning up the manabase and artifact package.

I still have room for 1 card.

The point of this deck is a semi-competitive Spellslinger Deck with Niv-Mizzet at the helm because I like his ability, lore, and everything else. Im also a big Izzet fan thanks to Ravnica.

What FUN card should take up the last slot? It could be anything from a weird interaction, or maybe something just goofy/janky, or maybe even just a card powerful enough that it has to be included. The exception is no infinite combo pieces (Curiosity, Mind over Matter, etc).

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prodigy-of-the-firemind/

Yeah, she looks pretty good straight out of the box. LCS is thinking of doing a commander league with the decks with each week allowing a small amount of changes to the deck. Gonna at least throw in Mazirek and Bloodspore thrinax for when we can do the changes

Just brewing counter synergy Atraxa. Fuck the money I would need for superfriends so just gonna do easy stuff like +1/-1 counters, lands with counters, etc.

List looks pretty good. If you don't want to run Curiosity (and I highly recommend you do. Sometimes you need to end the freaking game.) I'd suggest any wheel of your choice. Wheel of Fortune, windfall, etc.

Or Volcanic Offering. That little bastard does some work.

Post yfw gay kings drops turn 1 burgeoning into turn three consecrated sphincter.

Burgeoning is so dumb. I fear a turn one Burgeoning much more than a Turn 1
Sol Ring.

Burgeoning is one of those cards I really want banned, because seeing those Turn 1 in Sevala Decks, Maelstrom Wanderer Decks, Omnath Decks, and Leovold Decks makes me flip shit.

Was looking around for cards similar to tuskguard captain, giving everything with a +1/+1 a keyword, and I think Ainok Bond-Kin for first strike and Mer-Ek Nightblade for deathtouch might be interesting too.
And I'm definitely throwing out Languish and Necroplasm. Probably also Thrummingbird.

Also fun is to turn all of your creatures (all with a healthy dose of +1/+1 counters) into master biomancer before dropping down a few smaller creatures. Or say... your commander. Instant 40/40's

Turn one burgeoning, turn 2 land tax, turn 3 scoop.

>all these red players complaining
Just don't play any lands and he can't benefit from it. Learn some counterplay you troglodytes

For bondkin, I'd just replace it with archetype of courage

burgeoning doesn't synergize with his endstep ability though
how exactly to you expect land tax to trigger when you have more land out than your opponents?

Burgeoning synergizes with any form of card draw.

I'd sooner use him in 60 card.

Burgeoning runs you out of gas so fast though. If you open a 3 lander with Burgeoning you've effectively taken a mull to 5 with a colored Sol Ring. Part of why Sol Ring is so good is that it's so much acceleration for so little all in one card

Burgeoning is strong, but comparing it to Sol Ring is a little overboard

>two weeks ago start a card order for a deck i want to build
>about to submit card order
>suddenly notice c16 spoilers are coming up soon
>"i'll wait to see what's in those deck before i sink money into new cards"
>delete card order
>c16 decklists are up a week later
>literally every card i was going to order is in the decks
>in shock at how good the decklists are
>end up ordering all 5 decks instead

True story.

You can do this in any UGx deck if you want though.

burgeoning isn't that strong unless you have some way to get more lands, like horn of greed, land tax, cultivate effects, etc. it's true that it's basically card disadvantage if you can't make proper use of it

occasionally though you will get the cards you need to take full advantage of it and it will launch your deck into fucking space

I'm trying to work out a Yidris list without making it just a weaker Maelstrom Wanderer. So far I'm thinking:
>spells that you can play for free like Pyrokinesis and Snuff Out
>spells that are really good when cascaded into like Ancestral Vision and Boom/Bust
Are there enough cards like those to build a deck around?

Super friends with Atraxa sounds really fun, but where's a good place to start? Should I look at 5 color super friend lists? They seem to all have a lot of red walkers. Besides doubling season/ chain veil what else should I get in addition to the precon?

>get Atraxa deck
>get Deadeye Navigator
>get tutors
>get Planeswalkers
It builds itself.

Oath of Nissa is pretty much a requirement for Superfriends.

Anyone? I get my question was a bit broad, but in the past all my gold-themed decks sort of floundered with lack of purpose.

I mainly want to run janky gold apocalypse cards and split cards.

>archetype of courage
Hmm, good point.

Also, holy shit I underestimated Astral Cornucopia in Atraxa. I keep forgetting proliferate is on any and all permanents.

Ajani, mentor of Heroes, both Tamiyos. Venser, Narset, contagion engine, keep in the deepglow skate from the precon. Add Deadeye navigator for it maybe and a few black tutors.

And more superfriends staples like humility, duelling grounds, silent arbiter, rings of brighthearth. For my personal taste, I'm adding in Oath of nissa, jace and gideon as well. And then finally, as many wrath effects that don't affect planeswalkers as you can. Cyclonic rift ofc.

Listen to this fucking bullshit

I was playing a 4 person commander game at college today. Everyone was doing cool things and having a good time. It was a lot of fun.

How come so few legendaries have 1-word names? It's usually [name] with a descriptor tacked on, like "Godo-Bandit Warlord." Griselbrand is the only one with a 1-word name I can think of and it just sounds fucking cool as shit

God that sounds terrible. What the fuck is wrong with them

Thraximundar is another.

It's because descriptors means more alternate versions of the card.

There's angus mackenzie, anax and cymede, pia and kiran nalaar.

Tons of others are just their names. True enough, there's very little of them that are just a single word/name without a last name added.

Because when you become "legendary" you tend to take on titles, even in real life.

sounds like a really shitty group, would not go back

True. And again, it just sounds cooler. I wish they did more of this. Morinfen(?) was another one, I think

I just found out about the existence of Atogs.

We need more atogs. Full atog tribal support!

Morinfen and Gallowbraid

Both true. Though with the title thing I feel like there comes a point where your name is enough

Ragnar
Telim'Tor
Joven
Chandler

A running theme seems to be them being terrible

>Hitler, Jew Exterminator
>Stalin, the Red Dictator
>Judas, Traitor of the Christ
>Colombus, New World Explorer

I'm making these.

I mean Griselbrand is pretty strong.

Too bad he wasn't allowed to fly free and wreck the format.
RIP in peace sweet prince.

>Vlad the Impaler
>Alexander the Great
>Erik the Red

>Pepin the Short

>Guillaume le Bâtard

Does Marrow-Gnawer count? He's a cool guy.

I love atogs, I run Chronatog and Auratog in my Hanna deck

Blue's got a few with Memnarch, Tromokratis and Taniwha

Memnarch is a dick.

>playing my friend
>he beating me down regardless of how much mana I have, his talarand just gets more and more drakes in a UW control shell
>hit arcanis
>take a peak at my life total, I'm sitting around 18 and he's at 39
>cast arcanis, he doesn't blow him up
>take some damage, I'm getting really low
>hit motherfucking grand architect on my nut draw
>drop him, mana flies out of my pockets, drop void winnower
>amazingly, he bounces the winnower instead of arcanis, then swings with his drakes, and I'm at 5 life
>tap arcanis on my turn, draw a hand full of mana rocks and doubling cube
>toss them all out, doubling cube it up, play memnarch
>I steal his daxos and talarand
>he swings with what's left of his board and gets me to 2 life
>he's still at 39 and has an insane amount of mana
>but nothing to cast it on, as he realizes I have enough mana to steal 4 things per turn
>folds gracefully
>I feel like the luckiest bitch alive

Do names without descriptors count? Because Olivia Voldaren and the OG Elder Dragons count

>OP the Faggot

Atraxa superfriends does seem fun, but try finding some non-superfriends counter-using cards too, like Luminarch Ascension and Archmage's Ascension, maybe the lands with Storage counters (they seem janky though), Lighthouse Chronologist, Yisan, the Filibuster dudes, Energy stuff, the X-cost Suspend shit that gets better the longer you wait for them to resolve, maybe some really stupid garbage like Midnight Oil, Jötun Grunt if you want graveyards to stop exisitng, Karplusan Minotaur and Braid of Fire aren't playable sadly but would've been fun, the former especially with Chance Encounter
Mana Chains, Psychic Vortex (this seems really fucking fun with Crucible of Worlds or something), Ertai's Meddling might be fun, Armageddon Clock is hilarious, Soul Echo seems fun but pretty shit since people can just remove it and ignore it until then, Jar of Eyeballs seems underpowered but amusing, Sporogenesis seems like the funniest shit, Goblin Bomb is red so not allowed but great fun, same with Bomb Squad, Triassic Egg would give you style points, Festering Wound is great to do nothing and annoy people, Divine Intervention can be kept up indefinitely and will make people think twice about killing your Atraxa, or put you in a bad situation, because you could potentially just end the game unsatisfactorily for everyone.
It's being that guy and keeping the game hostage and I love the idea of doing that. Similar to Celestial Convergence.
Callow Jushi probably won't ever work, since you'd need to play at least a few Spirits or Arcane spells to trigger it, but would be fun once it was up and rolling, just never worth it, same with all other Ki counter bullshit.
Mind Unbound, Private Research, Lotus Blossom, Voodoo Doll,

You could also be cute and do some non-combat Poison counter shit like with Ichor Rats or Decimator Web.

There's more obviously, and 90% of this is shit, but style points doe

Can't proliferate suspended cards

You can Clockspinning them though. I wanna say there's one other one that lets you add time counters, outside of Curse of the Cabal, but I can't remember what it is.

I brewed up a list
pastebin.com/2V6ia9fr
Demonic Tutor should be in there somewhere but it's out of my budget right now.

Doubling Season is the most important card in the deck. By extension, this means that enchantment tutors (Academy Rector, Idyllic Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Sterling Grove, Demonic Tutor etc...) are very high priority cards.

With a resolved Doubling Season Jace AoT, Teferi, and Ob Nixilis, alll become wincons. Narset Transcendent and Venser the Sojourner both help to severely cripple your opponents while Tamiyo Field Researcher goes crazy.

Tamiyo 1.0 isn't that useful because you aren't playing too many non-permanents. Her +1 and -2 are also too conditional to be useful. Ajani, Mentor of Heroes is also not very useful due to you running no auras and only 4 creatures. Ugin and Karn are both possibilities but I didn't include them for budget concerns. Karn is probably better than Ugin in this deck.

>lands with Storage counters (they seem janky though)
They're good mang

Jhoira's timebug

Well, Delay, kinda and Pardoc Dragon is similar to Curse of Cabal. Jhoira's Timebug can add counters, as can Shivan Sand Mage and Timebender. There also is Timecrafting, but yeah. Most of these are garbage.

Guys, this card is nuts