How do I, into Warhammer 40K

How do I, into Warhammer 40K
I've been trying to get into it for a while now.
And i cant find shit on it help?
What is it?
also warhammer thread dump

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Step 1:
Blatently pirate the rulebook and the codexes of every faction you find remotely interesting. Don't worry, everyone does it. You can find most of the codexes here:
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
Step 2:
Read them and pick the one you like the most. Now look for a get started collector's box. Don't buy anything else. You should be able to make a nice, easy 500 points army. Even if people say you should get a bigger army, don't. Learn the basics before ever going 1000 points. 500 points games can be completed quickly and let you feel out the rules and unit roles.
Step 3:
Paint. Turtorials on youtube.com/warhammer
Step 4:
Look for a warhammer or hobby shop in your area. Henceforth you should buy your supplies from this shop, NOT online. This will give the store money to continue existing and providing a local beacon to other players like you. You can also look for gaming clubs, which will give you a more personal experience and provide a gateway into other aspects of tabletop gaming.
Step 5:
Do you like your army so far? If so, purchase the Codex and Gamebook for real, and start adding to your army. More infantry, more heavy support, throw in a couple elites and maybe a fast attack.
Step 5a:
Don't like your army? Sell the models on Ebay and invest in another army. Behold! You just saved a load of cash by NOT buying books or excess units you no longer want. Don't get discouraged: We got a lot of armies in Warhammer, and your bound to find one you like!
Step 6:
Build. Paint. Play. Build. Paint. Play. Build. Paint. Play!

is that scout daijobu?

>bolter brother ineffectually firing at ground
The tradition is alive and well, I see.

1.) Read the lore on Lexicanum

2.) Pirate rulebooks

3.) Buy models off ebay

Try out Kill Team. You play with a pretty small selections of models, enough points for something like 10 Space Marines with some special weapons and a Rhino transport.

It's a good starting point to expand without getting too invested. The rules are available in the Kill Team thread

the fuck is wrong with that multimelta

who thought it needed filling with caramel

>Look for a warhammer or hobby shop in your area. Henceforth you should buy your supplies from this shop, NOT online. This will give the store money to continue existing and providing a local beacon to other players like you.
Gamesworkshop intentionally, explicitly, closes shops that do well. Their strategy is simple: open a shop in an area without a lot of sales. Reach the rather-low saturation level for the area. Close the shop. Continue selling pieces online.

They released that strategy for at-least their last three years in a row, in their shareholder newsletter

If you enjoy having a GW shop? You should never make large purchases at it.

Do GW hate success? That sounds unbelievably brain dead. I'm, and don't take this personally, having trouble believing that because of how bloody daft it sounds.

That makes absolutley no sense

Show me the newsletter or your full of shit.

>Dreadnought never shoots

bad

It's actually pretty shrewd. By the way, if you want source? You can google all their shareholder year-ends. It has been released publicly. user mentioned it once, I didn't believe, so I went and read.

But their sales show that, once saturation is hit, it no longer matters whether they have one of their own shops. The hit they take to their sales by closing the shop is less money than keeping the shop open. So it's find a small-ish market by population size. Open shop. Sell and have events until area is buying at saturation. Close shop.

Google it. Don't google it. I don't care.

Former GW employee here. This is patently untrue. GW closes stores because they're notoriously contentious with their landlords and would rather absorb the cost of a brand new store buildout than accept any increase in the terms of their leases. My own store was moved three times over the course of ten years within an area of less than a square mile for precisely this reason.

wow gw wtf

Just wanna say finding a store should be step 1 not step 4

The hobby becomes a lot less enjoyable if you live in suburbia and the closest store is an hour away and everyone plays WarmaHordes

Also when I was first getting in the local shop actually lended me a army my first two times because people would sell whole armies to the owner and he'd then keep some of them for personal use or for collecting (like the all Krieger army that he got ahold of) and getting to use the fun toys is pretty great compared to limiting yourself to the very basics.

Just started a sisters army here. Looking for some tips beyond what I've seen on 1d4chan's tactica page. I'm liking the idea of going heavy on the flamers/repressors/exorcists. haven't played 40k since new eldar codex dropped.

My advice is wait a few weeks. Sisters are supposedly getting updated to bank off of 30k releasing sisters of silence.

in lue of finding a store you could just organize a group of friends to play. It's quite a lot of fun as long as you have a lot of folks to play with. Our FLGS just moved out of town, but my friends organized a group and venue to build a community of players around.

bumping with sisters

Use allies to supplement your army where it's weak. Sisters need to get into close range to use their weapons, so bringing something to serve as a distraction carnifex works wonders for them. Another option is to bring an ally with lots of long-range weaponry to give your sisters some much-needed fire support.

Despite what the fluff says, Sisters do really well when supported by psykers. In addition to the usual psychic benefits, they do really well with the extra warp charges combined with their Adamantium Will.

>mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
I'm totally unfamiliar with the meta right now. What's each army's "power formation" I mean I know it's a bit mmore complicated than that, but since the advent of formations it's not THAT much more complicated than that.

>power formation
Are you talking about the decurion or "formation of formations" like pic related, or asking about which formations are good in general? My opinion on the meta in general is (ignoring "allies-only" codices, like Imperial Knights, Legion of the Damned, and Officio Assassinorum):

>Top Tier
AdMech (with War Convocation)
Chaos Daemons
Craftworld Eldar
Necrons
Space Marines
Space Wolves
Tau

>Mid-Tier
Adepta Sororitas
Adeptus Mechanicus
Astra Militarum
Blood Angels
Dark Angels
Grey Knights
Inquisition
Khorne Daemonkin
Militarum Tempestus

>Bottom Tier
Chaos Space Marines
Dark Eldar
Harlequins
Orks
Tyranids

I have no idea where Deathwatch and Genestealer Cults fit into all this yet.

The user's are also neglecting third party hobby stores. These apply in countries without GW brick and mortar presence.

Read codexes and immerse yourself into the world.

Try a tool called BattleScribe for planning your army.

If you can't find anyone to play with irlget someone to play with you in table top simulator it is a lot cheaper than buying the figurines.

Brisbane cbd?

>Step 1
Find out who and where your are going to play with. Maybe this is a GW store. Maybe this is your friendly local game store. Maybe it is your friend, brother, or whatever. Knowing you can play games is important.

>Step 2
Read up on the lore, and look at the models. Ignore power on the tabletop right now. Find a faction you fall in love with.

>Step 3
Is that faction Chaos Space Marines or Dark Angels? If so, buy the Dark Vengeance starter set. Otherwise, buy the Start Collecting! bundle and acquire the rulebooks.

>Step 3
Look up "Duncan Rhodes" on youtube.

>Step 4
Build, paint, play, list build, read lore, write lore for your dudes, make some friends, repeat.

Deathwatch are weird. They have some crazy powerful units (like their bikes) but as a core force they really struggle.

GSC are really, ridiculously strong and have a few different ways to play them. Top tier, easily, unless Eldar and Tau can find ways to counter (Marines can already counter the super cheese GSC lists). Even balanced GSC lists can be pretty potent. Probably top tier no matter what.

Also you are missing assassins and knights on your list. Technically they are their own codexes too.

Are those in any particular order within their tiers? I've been wanting to start with a Get Started Militarum Tempestus box, and while I don't mind being mid-tier, since my only games will be against ad- mech I'm wary of being that low.

Friends.

The formation that comes with the Start Collecting! Militarum Tempestus is actually pretty good.

As a whole, Militarum Tempestus have some issues. They lack long range firepower, and don't have the numbers or staying power to go head to head with a long of stuff, and they don't have all kinds off bullshit ignores cover interceptor stuff either.

The Start Collecting! box might as well be called "Finish Collecting" because aside from the Valkyrie it has every unit in the codex.

I suggest allying them with Inquisition forces. Inquisition can bring psychic support, cheap infantry, assault, and long range firepower, but lacks the massed special weapons and AP3 shots that Militarum Tempestus can bring. It's almost like the two armies were made for each other...

Together the two are still mid tier, but higher up in the mid tier than they would be individually.

I'm sorry
>friends

Thank you, user. I really really appreciate the advice

I posted this in the 40k general but it's relevant enough here, Is 1d4chan to be trusted regarding Tau?, I recently got the start collecting tau and I'm nervous about how to fit out my XV8s, I do have magnets but the XV8 models are a lot smaller than I was expecting.

one slightly cool thing about inquisition as a supporting force to your main army is that at a minimum, an inquisitorial detachment consists of just a single inquisitor (1 to 2 inquisitors, and 0 to 3 groups of henchmen).

Depending on wargear and upgrades, an inquisitor on his or her own can bring either psychic support, long range firepower, or both. They can gear up for the assault too, but with the statline of only a normal human (S3 T3) they aren't really good at fighting many things in the assault. Except daemons. They have a lot of upgrades to make them good at that.

take 1d4chan with a grain of salt. It isn't wrong about everything, but the truth tends to get embellished a bit.

I have some earth magnets that I plan to use on the guns to the arms. what kind of glue should i use to keep them in?, I work at a workshop so we have some powerful stuff but I don't want to destroy the small plastic weapons

Few things represented the decline of brick and mortar GW stores for me than Brisbane CBD GW. When I first started playing in 2007, it was one of the first places I visited. In retrospect it was a vast store, with numerous tables covered with terrain, all with store armies and between 4-5 staff at any time.

Then they downsized into an arcade, got rid of most of the gaming tables. But it was still in a centralish location, and a few staff around.

Then it vanished a few years back, and earlier this year I got around to finding where it had gone. I ended up having to hike several blocks from where it had used to be, in the very centre of the CBD, to find a tiny store tucked far away from the main shops. A one-man store, with no gaming table and less than 1/10th of the space they had once occupied.

I felt a great wave of sadness when I found that store.

Derp.

Step one is find a gaming group with contains decent people. If you can't do that then the rest is pointless.

Ideally this group should not be associated with a store (and if you're not american this is WAY easier) in which case fuck step 4 - buy your shit on-line for big savings.

CA

>that melta firing what looks to be a liquid.
wat.

>Deathwatch are weird. They have some crazy powerful units (like their bikes) but as a core force they really struggle.
What's so powerful about marine bikes that can't take upgrade weapons?

This. Every time my hobby center's lease expired, it moved. It was a new location in 2008 and started off in a strip mall, then moved to a mall, then it moved out of the mall and to another strip mall. I was told that they generally only take five year leases so it'll probably move, again, in 2018.

Melta's fire a beam of superheated stuff. It's not like in Space Marine or something.

superheated liquid? The gun that literally turns stuff to vapor?

I think its supposed to be a heavy flamer shooting promethium like it was napalm or some shit. Droplets come out after firing in an arc, and there seems to be tiny pilot lights in the muzzle as well.

It's a reference to the DOW videogame, in which you have to defend a particle cannon.

He's not talking about the Titan weapon, he's talking about the cheese whiz coming out of the multi-melta on the leftmost Devestator. Watch the animation.

>The Start Collecting! box might as well be called "Finish Collecting" because aside from the Valkyrie it has every unit in the codex.

top fucking kek, I can't believe I didn't notice this before