Super heroes

What is your favorite system for superhero games?
How do you go about making a character? Their powers?

Tell us about your setting But seriously, no hero world bullshit that clogs up the thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

worm.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Classifications
powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Haemokinetic_Constructs
youtube.com/watch?v=U8yLxvZk_JI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What is your favorite system for superhero games?
Hero system just because its in-depth power defining satisfy my autism.
>How do you go about making a character? Their powers?
My GM read some kind of web novel called Worm and used the power generation method for a fan system. So basically we tell him the most horrible thing in the person's life+some and then the other group members deliberate what type of power the person would get (he printed out cheat sheets for what trigger gets what power classification). Kind of barbaric but has ended with more power variety than any other supers group I've played with.
>Tell us about your setting
My GM's set it up in Brocken bay or something. Said its from Worm. Seems like a pretty interesting setting, lots of detail.

I've never played a superhero rpg...
The only superhero tabletop game I've played is SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE, which was pretty good actually.

My go-to generic system for a superhero game would be Fate Core with the Venture City Stories stuff. I'd love to get to play Masks, but it's much more focused on emulating something like Young Justice or Teen Titans, and my group isn't really interested.

So, I think I might have made a mistake. For an Hero System game I allowed a player to shove nearly two thirds of their points straight into one ability called "copycat". It lets them copy the abilities of one superhuman within a decent range, gives him a tiny packet of information about the powers that increases the more he knows about the superhuman, and a sensory power with a large range that only senses superhumans (gave him a -2 modifier for that because supers are rare as shit like 1:250,000).
I don't know if this will be overpowered or not but the cost should even it out. Anyone know what will inevitably happen?

Isn't he fucked against a bunch of normal thugs or commandos? I suppose he'd just use his power on his teammates in most cases though.

Probably.

Now you all have to play "normal" people with no powers to steal like Batman or Booster Gold, just to fuck with that guy when you fight other normal people. Wouldn't it be fun?

Yeah. That's a major downside. A major upside is that he isn't limited by his CP total when copying a power. So copying the hulk would give him that BS "lift a mountain under duress" levels of power.

That would be more of a dick move if anything.
>Here's 2/3rds of my character resources into a power I want to use often
>>Nah, you can't use it ever

It would be a dick move if that was the case every time, that he was the only superpowered individual in the setting like Dr Manhatten but instead of being all powerful his specific ability is useless in that situation, but if the player is abusing the concept to be bullshit broken against every villain they encounter then it wouldn't hurt to throw him a curveball every once and a while to see how he deals.

Yeah. He used the other 1/3 of his points to be a skill monkey since nobody else in the group even bothered to take skills.

Is there any system that could allow me to make a character with a time loop power? Something like "the day is reset to when I last woke up whenever I snap my fingers" or some such thing?
I absolutely love powers like that, but I can't think of a way to have them make sense in gameplay.

Time powers are bullshit, even more than super speed which you gimp by breaking them down into the various feats comicbook speedsters are capable of as individual abilities to be bought.

Time looping is kinda a massive pain in the ass for GMs and other players alike since we all need to remember each roll and whether or not your new actions would have changed the rolls and how far back and it's just a massive pile of book work.

Yeah, I figured as much.
That's a shame, though. I genuinely find powers like that to be an absolute blast.

That's because you see what happens when there's one author and one player in control of everything. Now if your time power was more limited (like up to a minute but mostly just a few seconds) it would work well.
>Hit bad guy with club
>Bad guy dodges to the left
>Rewind two seconds
>Swing club and swipe to the left
>Hit bad guy

Worlds in Peril is another PbtA alternative, maybe that flows better with your group than Masks.

That's not exactly better.

Better than replaying a whole day like 16x

>Roll.
>You miss.
>Go back in time.
>Roll.
>You miss.
>Go back in time.
>Roll.
>You miss.
>Go back in time.
Etc.
Might as well just ditch the rolling part and consider you rolled right for everything.

Have superb accuracy in a game where other people are flying faster than sound, throwing around loaded semi-trucks, regenerating lethal wounds in under a minute,turn into a dragon, or fire lasers out of their hands capable of cutting through a steel block is pretty normal.

Don't most super hero games have a stamina mechanic? Pretty sure if you try to live the same moment ten times in a row you're going to be dead tired.

>Anyone know what will inevitably happen?
The superhero team he's put on will be more versatile and successful. Also, if a world-ending threat approaches the equivalent of superman in whatever setting you're in will pair up with him to bitch slap the problem.

I played Mutants and Masterminds 3e and I liked it. Mostly because I don't play with spergs who make completely broken characters.

>stamina mechanic
Holy shit, why have I never thought of this when it comes to time-travelling bs?

Because I think only Hero System uses one. It's called Endurance. You do anything and it costs that many endurance points. These recover if you either A. Spend a turn recovering (no actions at all) and add your Recovery stat to your STUN (no lethal damage everything does) and END or B. Wait til the end of the turn and everyone gets a REC. Its a intuitive stat because if you blow all your END on your min/Max'd kamehameha you'll be useless until you spend a few phases resting.

I'm so used to the dnd style "you can do any of your actions, no matter what!" game that stamina never really occurred to me. I like it.

By adding a few restrictions (duration? or amount of times you can use it within an hour?) this actually could be pretty cool and not overpowered.

Like at the beginning you decide you have 20 "charges" of the power that refresh every hour, one charge could be equivalent to 30 second time traveling into the past.

Setting a missed attack right would cost just one single charge while going back far enough to restart a conversation that turned sour or warn your team that you are walking into an ambush would cost more.

Adjust the numbers to fit the tone of the game;
Epic cosmic campaign about going to war with the gods themselves? Each charge lets you get back years at a time.

Gritty street level story about trying to rid your neighborhood of the local gang? 20 charges per day, each one gives you 30 seconds.

30 seconds is a long ass time. I'd personally make the short time frame be more along the lines of 5 seconds

What if they had different charges? Like 15 of the 20 are 5-8 seconds, 4 of them are 30 seconds, and 1 is a full minute.

I like it, could lead to some interesting moments where a player already blew all their minor charges and for correcting a minor mistake has to use one of the bigger ones despite it being ineffective.

For some extra strategic options for the player allow bigger charges to be converted into multiple smaller ones though always at a loss of overall time and they can't just do on the fly, they have to decide before the need arises whether they want more smaller ones or hold on to an extra bigger one.

How about this: the player can "checkpoint" 3 times each day, and each checkpoint lasts 10 minutes. At any point during those 10 minutes, the player can go back to the checkpoint, but doing so erases the checkpoint.
So you'd set a checkpoint before raiding a house, have your party devastated by traps, go back to the checkpoint, and then tell them about all the traps so you can avoid them this time.

Well in Hero system you could make a character with a bunch of abilities that gives bonuses to succeeding at skills, hitting, dodging, damage, etc. and you would define their special effect as I rewind time to replay the events to get the best advantage in all the situations that I had trouble with or failed. But it only works once so if i fail the "second time around" I can't redo it again.

I'm looking for minor villians with powers beyond "big, strong, shoots lasers, mind control, teleportation, makes bombs, etc". Any ideas?

Gravity manipulation, pyromancy, cryomancy, magnetism, perception alteration, density alteration, distance alteration.

What sort of power or threat level are you aiming for?

Mostly street level but more powerful villians would be welcome. I already X have ideas for some of the bigger guys.

I'm thinking of using the Worm PRT power classifications in my game. Just curious, but what would the copycat and time-rewind abilities be with the classifications?
What's the difference between a 1-10? Why is eidolon a Trump 13?

The copycat ability would have A thinker rating of about 1-2 depending on the total range and accuracy of the detection ability. It would have a very high trump rating due to being able to copy any Parahuman power. I'd rate it at a minimum of Trump 6, higher if it has a large range and doesn't take long to copy.
The time-rewind ability would most likely be classified as precognition, a Thinker rating of at least 4 and depending on the exact limits it could even be seen at a thinker 7.

>What's the difference between a 1-10? Why is eidolon a Trump 13?
It's mostly conjecture and guessing how dangerous a Parahuman is. Someone with brute 3 might stop a .22 with their skin and bend rebar but a brute 10 is literally invincible and can lift more than is physically possible to hold.

worm.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Classifications

Remember that the power classifications are not exactly a straight up power level but rather an assessment on how much effort it would take to defeat them with each digit lower than 10 also offering some rough guidelines on how to act against them without further information.
The numbers depend on the capabilities of the indivduals too, if Eidolon 100% had the same superpower but otherwise was an absolute coward who is really shit at fighting then his rating would probably be lower because it would be easier to defeat him.

The time rewinding ability would probably not actually be real time traveling but just the user being able to predict the future in a way that just seems like time travel to them, so probably a Thinker.

Any other way of providing costumes for the characters in game without relying on the "renown tailor that only works with supers" trope?

I've done it often enough now and don't want to be too predictable.

They make their own costumes

At least at the beginning. If you want you can go a Parian route and have a super with a power that allows him/her to create clothing most tailors would kill to make. They sell clothing to the richest people on earth and hyper-durable fostumes to the richest heroes as well.

That is exactly what I was am trying to avoid though, I am running out of quirky personalities to give to those people.

Why does a business man need a quirky personality?

Who should have the most powerful superhumans in a setting: the heroes or the villians?

Someone whose power it is to literally extrude costumes from their body, and a form of touch-telepathy that allows them to see specifically what the individual is conceptulizing so they can can better perfect the finished design
And when not making costumes for their fellow heroes they use that power to fight crime

Mover, Shaker,
Brute and Breaker.

Master, Tinker,
Blaster and Thinker,

Striker, Changer,
Trump and Stranger.

WeaverDice. Worm is such a good powerlevel.

There should be relatively even balance, maybe the heroes have more infrastructure on their side while the villains have raw numbers

Buump

I'd say the costume is either a very dense manifestation of their power's aura that takes shape based on their natures (like a suit made out of pure energy) or have a suit that starts out generic and mass-produced looking but gains changes in appearance based on the hero's achievements/reputation (this could combine with the former idea).

Oh shit that sounds pretty good, I especially like the last part.

Could be a cool cultural thing, the more someones costume still resembles its original generic form the more likely will other people, heroes and villains alike, not take that person serious.
People are only considered real supers when all traces of the generic first form a gone.

They're just gonna have to cobble together a distinctive/stylish/ridiculous outfit from whatever mundane clothing they have access to. If they have powers that should destroy clothing, like a fiery aura or something, it also obscures anything unsightly for at least as long as they're using it.

I have a super villain group themed after the 7 deadly sins in planning. It's more of a 7 small groups working together, each one is a sin. Rate greed?

>Goldie, can turn people into gold with her Midas Blasts, can also enter a super mode where she is gold.

>Mr Diamond, standard heavy hitter with a diamond like body, is unbreakable

>The Banker, anyone looking at him will think he is just a normal guy, he is the brains of the three. His power is that he is as strong as the size of his wealth. He is King Midas reborn, to beat him the party would have to find his vault of loot and destroy it all, the vault is in the legendary city of gold

Looks pretty good, are all sin groups about 3 people big?

And how did they come to work together?
Like did the each group independently decide to represent a sin and they just came together one day or did they plan to work together from the get go?
Or is one of the sin members the mastermind who brought everyone together?

Each leader is a legendary sinner back on earth. No idea on the general size of subgroups.

I second hero system but it's not at all beginner friendly

How about a ganglord? Something like penguin?

FASERIP, Wild Talents, M&M
what power do I think is cool

There's more to greed than just wealth. What about someone with magnetic powers or even a master thief?

Wanted the group to be all shiny but sure. The plan was to have each member have a few mooks under them. A few can be metas

I'm running a Worlds in Peril game now and everyting's going according to keikaku,

c'mon staly alive

So how would you go about recreating an Angel, or a character that makes the PR department cream itself.

Magic sword that can cut through any armor or super skin and a magic helm that gives sight beyond sight, revealing lies and the unseen.

Even match.

Add these qualities in there somewhere.
>People really like angels that don't turn to bloody Swiss cheese after a cultist shoots it.
>Big beautiful white feathery wings provide flight speed faster than a car.
>Some sort of easily-used (mass?) healing ability.
>White robes that trail across the ground when walking and cover feet when flying.
>May cover face with matching hood, mask, or leave face revealed with a convincing wig.
>Gotta be a white person
>Usually females work better.
>Holy flame or some other form of smite attack.
Generally these are high-powered supers regardless.

Huh, user, angels aren't humans. They're more like the picture user used. IIRC another is an eye so beautiful you go mad from seeing it, but thankfully, it has three pairs of wings to hide.
There's a reason they don't start with "'sup guys, how's life?" but with "Do not be afraid".

>or a character that makes the PR department cream itself
That kinda implies humanoid Angels since the "Be not afraid" type would be a PR nightmare because their base appearance would incite Panick anytime they do something public.

Isn't "Be not afraid" a command rather than a reassurance?

Both really. If this morherfucker came down from the sky I bet you one of the first rction the average person would take is to piss theirself.

Flight with a visible set of wings would be a first. Illusions of holy light and many energy based powers.

How much potential do you like your non powered humans in your setting to have?

More realistic where normies don't really have a fighting chance without extraordinary circumstances against powered people or do you like it if people like Batman are a possibility?

I personaly like an inbetween where non powered people still aren't likely to hold their own against capes but they can still get a high enough power level that they can do somewhat unrealistic things like dodge single bullets (but not a spray of them) or hold their own against a group of other unpowered thugs.

>How much potential do you like your non powered humans in your setting to have?
You know that movie Amwrican Sniper? Add another zero to that kill total and you got the best of the best soldiers.
>Batman yes or no?
Batman was more of a Gary stue than anything else.
>>Billionaire
>>Knows 23 languages, 1 of which has only one surviving member of its race that never even knew how to speak the language.
>>Knows like 100+ different martial arts
>>Master hacker
>>Master tactician
>>If there's a skill that's useful in any combat or non-combat situation he has it mastered.
>>Utility belt might as well be a superpower on its own.
>>Beyond Olympian level human abilities and her is the smartest guy in a room full of geniuses.

Non-powered humans are all normies.
Anything "super" comes from superpowers, no exception. And neither training nor money give superpowers.

Savage Worlds with the Superpowers Companion. The only issue with it so far is that I am bad at handling super powers (especially flying)...

Yeah it's both. They basically have to use their supernaturally commanding voice to prevent everybody from just going SAN LOSS immediately.

Just grab some concept art of angels and throw some shiny effects and powers around. Maybe the angelic wings are ethereal and visibility is only a cosmetic option. Maybe they can't heal but instead can call down tornados of magical fire.

Wouldn't that be a Trump X where X is the highest rank classification of any cape within range.

Some angels were humanoid. In fact, Cherubim, Seraphim and Thrones were the only ones typically depicted as nonhuman, with Powers, Principalities, Virtues, Dominons, Archangels, and plain ol' angels being typically described as humanoid.

Most of my non powered guys fall more into the pulp mystery men catagory relying more on training,wits,and resources to win the day against mobsters and the occasional Nazi

In my M&M games the highest physical score normal humans can get is 6 and any powers representing training is capped at 2-3 depending on the power in question

Most modern character that are normal humans are less Batman more Ironman

I believe that official max in any stat that "peak" humans can get in M&M is 7, anyway. Beyond that they're clearly superhuman.

>Who should have the most powerful superhumans in a setting: the heroes or the villians?

What kind of setting do you want?

How powerful the average metahuman is affect how stable the world is.

Low power heroes and villains aren't going to shake up much more than a city (or even a neighborhood at that). But if they are all powerhouses it be a state of near constant chaos as even a friendly tussle would devastate large areas.

Who has the upper hand, the good guys or the bad guys, affect the mood of the setting.

If the bad guys tend to win, then it be a pretty dark setting, but if the good guys have the upper hand it would be a more optimistic place.

Just decide what point on the two axis graph you want your setting to land on.

Was actually looking to get some suggestions from someone more versed in Mutants and Masterminds. I'm a new player and was kinda wish-washy about the character I wanted to play, so I just went to the superpower wiki and hit random. Got this: powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Haemokinetic_Constructs

I'm not extremely well read when it comes to comics so I thought I'd take inspiration from Spider-Man and essentially have my character be something like him with a different powerset (but similar physical and mental attributes). Anyway, was looking for suggestions on how to realize the aforementioned power (essentially creating items/weapons from blood - was thinking of using my own characters blood and having some kinda tool to draw a little bit of blood, so that way it doesn't border on grimdark). Is it even reasonable to create someone of Spider-Man's caliber at PL10?

Drop in a few characters who's power causes them pain or fucks them up, this doesn't have to happen every time, but have it happen now and again to keep him on his toes.

Because, really who doesn't want to see this guy face off against the Dreadful Dr. Dullahan?

youtube.com/watch?v=U8yLxvZk_JI

I'd say the blood bit would just need a descriptor and maybe a flaw or two (maybe just Complication: Blood loss) since they're using their own blood but only if you want to.

Everything else would be a matter of effect. You can use the Create power for a lot of things by itself (binding enemies similar to the Snare: Vulnerable/Hindered 1st degree, Immobile/Defenseless 2nd degree), AoE damage based on size of said object), but if you just wanna make weapons you can just do Close ranged damage and since they're created temporarily from your blood they're not really Devices. Different weapons can have different Damage ranks and properties such as Reach, Improved crit, Split for something like dualwielding, Multiattack for something that hits fast, etc.

I have Hero Lab if you want me to build some examples.

>I have Hero Lab if you want me to build some examples.
Thread is slow so if you have the time any examples would actually be really helpful for me. My GM is new to the system as well so we're all trying to figure out powers still.

I need some help grea/tg/uys.

How would you run a world of super hero corporations? I didn't know where to start so I jokingly used auto insurance mascots to be these super hero associations riavlingredients against one another for civilian funding. In game, their names will change as anagrams or something, but here's what I have so far.

>GEICO is ran by the mystical but modern-savvy Gecko with a head of the mythological and paranatural. He's an all around nice guy but most civilians are anxious to put their trust in a talking lizard. If he were to show his "true, fire breathing form", he would just be a warlord. Along with his Caveman henchmen, not given the credit he deserves, they prefer to take in heroes of the supernatural variety.

>Progressive spearheads their way to technological advances in robotics and programming with Flo being the face of future. Her dedication and love for serving Progressive and their customers made her seem a bit too famous as said by her superiors. Just as promotion day was around the corner, they implemented the idea of letting a true genuine machine be the face of Progessive: The Box. Flo's self esteem wounded, she still works for the great Hero agency she believes in, under the narcissistic and powerful Box.

cont. 1/2

As said, Mutants and Masterminds gets a lot of its mileage from the power of descriptors. Damage X Extras: Ranged (+1) is how you model a power that deals damage to foes at range that requires an attack roll for everything from rockets to lightning bolts to heat vision. If you don't want the power to have any true drawbacks, then bam, you're already done.

If you want to have some level of drawback, you should look at Complications. Basically the GM gives you Hero Points for being a jerk and messing with you. In this case, if overuse of the power will fatigue your character this would probably work. Or it could be a Complication that they can't use their powers if they aren't injured, so they might not be able to use their powers if they get knocked out and restrained since they have no way to injure themselves.

Here's a quick example for a power set:

Super Movement 1 (Swinging) [2pp]
Speed 4 Flaws: Limited to Swinging [2pp]

Affliction 10 (Hindered, Immobile, Paralyzed) Extras: Alternative Resistance (Dodge) (+0), Ranged (+1), Cumulative (+1) [30pp]
AP: Damage 10 Extras: Ranged [1pp]
AP: Damage 10 Extras: Area (Burst), Selective [1pp]
AP: Create 10 Extras: Selective [1pp]

2 + 2 + 33 = 37pp

As for Spider-Man, he is basically the poster child for a PL 10 character, and honestly so are most of the X-Men. The overwhelming majority of every super-hero that is not known in-universe as being especially weak or powerful could be pegged at being PL 10 without anyone batting an eye.

>All State is another unassuming title in the hero agency business. Led by the charismatic and inspiring not!Dennis Haybert, he proposes a world filled with danger that's held and protected in All States hands. This a company that takes in heroes that strive to protect masses from environmental dangers to detour work. They are the top of the top to these situations, as if they know when mayhem will come. Mayhem WILL come.

>After a union in shared interest, values, and technologies, State Farm and Farmers join forces. This joint association specializes in local disturbances, policing, and personal guards for "special" situations. These two companies believe in the power of humanity and "respectfully" decline supered applicants. With State Farms reliable and recently legal teleportation technology and Farmers history of trained service soldiers, they represent a group of men and women on the call ready for anything.

Sounds good? Any questions? What else should I include?

Here are some examples of powers you can use.

This list of powers serves as one Power essentially, but the Effects represent what different ways you're using it.

The Dynamic part means that you can distribute the ranks among several effects. For example, you can have your Blood Blade active as well as Blood Armor, but nothing can cost more than the highest costing power.

Alright, this is incredibly useful especially the pdf. Thanks. Probably will use most of them with some modifications except for the minions. I'm really liking the customization features of M&M, even if it's taking more effort than usual to get into.

>What is your favorite system for superhero games?
I've only used the one, and its Mutants and Masterminds 3e edition, which I was recommended by a friend
>How do you go about making a character? Their powers?
Due to how easily broken M&M can be, I usually make characters who are good at one specific thing, but basically put a shit ton of points into it to make it so they are masterful at their power. It makes it so the PCs who've picked more broad powers (Ice Powers, Light Powers, Guy from Prototype) can use their powers more dynamically and outplay the bad guys somehow. I think its really fun and its a good thing to kinda think like "How the fuck can one person whom can simply control Dirt become strong?"
>Tell us about your setting
In brief, its a world where "powers" resignate through someones DNA an can be random but mostly depends on your heritage. and there is a heroes foundation and everything that the PCs are new members of out of an academy, and they do jobs for the outside world which is pretty low-tech compared to others. there is stuff like a desert trade nation full of bandits, giant monsters up north with Clans, Mountains full of miners and workers whom work for a mega-corporation, stuff like that

If you *don't* want to limit the power to using your own blood, M&M can handle that too. This array uses the Resistable flaw to make powers that will only work if the enemy fails the toughness save from the linked damage effect.

Bump.

Anyone have any advice for handling flying PCs? I'm not used to some fucker zipping off on the Z plane when the shit hits the fan...

Describe the scenario in detail pls

Like flying out of a bad guy's range, or just straight up fleeing the scene?

Unless a player is buying up the range of their powers, they should still be vulnerable to any ranged attack the bad guys might have. Guns, eye lasers, improvised throwing weapons, or whatever are all problems for flying heroes.

If someone's just using movement powers to skip out when fight's go bad, well... things should go bad and everyone should call them out on it afterward. Running away from tough fights isn't exactly heroic.