How big do mimics get?

Can one be the size of a house?
a castle?
When do you draw the line?

Yes.

I wrote one the size of a tavern in my campaign. It was also sentient.

Sure.

>run campaign
>feels like zendikar from mtg, ground is alive and stuff
>have to travel to the center of the earth to retrieve an ancient artifact
>???
>the planet was a mimic the whole time

The fuck.....?

>Can one be the size of a house?

I cast Dominate Monster.

So how would you run an adventure where the PCs end up on a plane that is a planar scale mimic?

Shit man I just wanted one the size of a house,
THIS IS TOO MUCH!

Wait, is it the plane of mimics? Would everything inside the plane be a mimic?

What if the entire planet is a giant mimic disgusied as a planet? What if the reason we burry our corpses is to feed the mimic?

user....STHAP!

The plane itself is a mimic. If you fuck up creating a portal to any other plane, there's a chance you open a portal to the plane of Mimic.(Cannot be accessed by trying to access the plane of mimics)
Quickly, we need water, open a portal to the plane of water
>water pours out
>oh thank god a drink
>tiny mimiclings eat you from the inside

I attack the Gazebo!

The Gazebo is unaffected

>Wars are actually conducted when the mimic gets starved and we need a large scale loss to save it from starvation and not collapse and die on ourselves

It all makes sense!

Laws of thermodynamics make this impossible, unless the "planet" also gets a shitload of extra energy/materials from external sources, and the mimic constantly has dying parts for the surface to live from.

Mimics grow bigger as they grow older, like dragons. Vehicles, houses, castles. There's even some around in the modern era, lurking and waiting, impossibly huge and unseen.

So a closed system mimic would have to be reliant on planar travelling shit, like one of those sci-fi episodes where someone does the wibbley wobbly warp travel stuff and accidentally crashes into a wibbley wobbly warp travel junkyard monster.

a bit like Sigil really

What if mimics are like spores of a fungus and the "mimic house" is an aggregate colony?

>Organization: Pack

>Organization: Pack
>Players find a seemingly abandoned village in the middle of nowhere
>Every house is a mimic

So... What was it mimicking? There must have been another planet out there for it to mimic.

Not mimic per se, but you get the point.

This is why we cant have nice things. Premise starts out quite good then not so much goes downhill as flys off a cliff and bursts into flames

In 2e Spelljammers, there were mimics that wrere intelligent and could cast spells. There were also mimics that disguised themselves as ships - and we're talking 100 ton battleships here - waiting for as many crew to come over and explore as possible before eating them all. And possibly their ship too, if it was made of wood.

Biggest mimic equivalent I think is the Living Vault, which is the size of a very large (Colossal) chamber. Definitely house sized or bigger.
It's also epic-level and used solely by epic-level mages to protect their stuff, so fighting one is a very poor idea.

>If cleaned out thoroughly, a house hunter's shell can be converted into a crude dwelling.