What do you guys think of Skallagrim?

What do you guys think of Skallagrim?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g_3wRicL-QI
youtube.com/watch?v=zVPUFMwm73Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no

He's an idiot, like any other person with a thread just about them.

More interesting than LindyBeige that's for sure.

I like him, I like his approach to evaluating swords and most of all I like that he's not afraid to review a fantasy blade well if he likes it, and moreso he's not afraid to admit when he just likes something because he likes it.

not a fluid speaker but way more worth listening to than lindybeige. not as good as matt easton though.

you're not getting your own thread, user, no matter how much you shitpost

The videos where he shows cutting of materials and such are actually quite interesting for study on how blades could have been applied or could be applied in combat situations. Knowing how to deal damage with a blade is quite useful.

Good.

Let him play with his picture books and pretend he's practising historical martial arts.

He seems to genuinely like what he's talking about and know his stuff, to a certain -good/okayish- degree. I like his videos.

BYRON PURSEBANE, AT YOUR SERVICE

I think people make way too much of a deal about these youtube personalities.

But I guess that's what happens when you don't have any swords in your life. You have to live through someone else.

Still, read some fucking books instead of relying on these guys for info, even when someone (like Tod) actually has a fucking clue you don't build knowledge through bite sized chunks.

Still, far better than Lindy. Though that ain't saying much.

There is something really really awkward about this guy that makes his videos unwatchable for me. The few I watched are alright, I even enjoyed the one where he talked about his rifle. But there is something about him that I can't stand.

He sounds like your typical annoying namefag on Veeky Forums who got youtube channel

He's okay.

I don't care for him. His observations and opinions are pretty basic. I unsubscribed a while back when he flooded my feed with political shit.

Tryhard Ragrar Loobrush who cares too much about weapons and doesn't care enough about upholding his people's traditions of raiding and pillaging.

His voice also annoys me.

He's Canadian so his voice gets a pass.

Do you think that's what Canadians sound like?

Fucking wat nigguhsan?

I thought he was German or Swedish and then moved to Canada.

lookslikeafag/10

Worse then lindy.

Would end rightly/10

I think we agreed that any time someone asks what we think of somebody, regardless what we actually think, we will say they fucking suck.

>What do you guys think of Skallagrim?

I don't find him terrible or offensive; I just find him and his content uninteresting.

Lindybeige has done a video on salt: youtube.com/watch?v=g_3wRicL-QI

And a video on Forests in the "olden days": youtube.com/watch?v=zVPUFMwm73Y

And I think that kind of contextual shit is 100% horrendously fascinating.

Knee-jerk reaction way back was that he looks like a douchebag, but he's actually pretty chill and reasonably knowledgeable. I'd rather tons of plebs watch his stuff and think it's accurate than Lindybeige's.

>What do you guys think of Skallagrim?
I think Lindybeige's a fucking shithead.

Less autistic than Metatron.
Not as uh sexy as Matt Easton.

Sheamus a shit
Cesaro a best

Fucking this.

/thread

He's vaguely interesting at first but then you realize all of his videos can be broken down into him comparing literally every weapon ever invented to the longsword, rapier or spear and then claiming that they are superior. Usually by saying "Yes you CAN do this, but you'd be better off with a longsword, rapier, or spear" He's not always wrong, but he's just so boring. He only says the same thing over and over again. He only discusses the same topics over and over again. Watch any of his videos back to back and you can count the times he uses the exact same phrases.

And whenever he shows himself sparring or cutting or testing a weapon it's so fucking cringeworthy. He talks like he's a a HEMA expert (While covering his ass by saying "I'm not saying I'm an expert") but when you see him actually try to wield anything he's fucking shit. He's shit. He's so fucking shit at it I cannot get through my head how someone so completely unskilled at swordplay would try to use his own skills as any kind of measuring stick for what other people would do with their weapons.

That being said he's not completely ignorant of history and the actual details of everything he says, but he tends to rely on personal experience when talking about fighting and he's so fucking shit at fighting that everything he bases it on is worthless.

And his beard looks like a 15 year old girl's pubes. I can't grow a beard so I shave, why would anyone want that scraggly failure of masculinity on their face?

not as good as Lindybeige

Looks like Spoony with a topknot.

I hereby present a half-hearted defense of skalla:

His technique appears to be pretty crap, but I haven't seen him attempting to teach technique, so that's only tangentially relevant. Watching some dude with a funny accent playing with moderately-exotic toys I can't afford is occasionally a good way to burn a few minutes. When his topics do touch on technique, it looks like he's involved with the Blood & Iron folks, so whether his opinions are sufficiently HEMA-grade for your personal degree of autism, it's at least HEMA-adjacent.

As for watching his videos back-to-back, I don't understand why you'd want to do such a thing. This content clearly wasn't designed to be consumed in that way. It's some nerd's video blog about his hobbies, produced and released sporadically with wildly variant production quality, not a Netflix original drama fine-tuned to induce binge-watching.

Regarding his preference for certain types of equipment, he's pretty up-front about his opinions. I seem to recall him giving a mini-review of a sword in which he basically proclaimed "this just isn't for me, it's not to my taste, I'm probably going to sell it to somebody who likes it better; it seems to be well-made but I didn't like it enough to really put that much effort into assessing it." So he's got opinons. Who doesn't. So he isn't a credible expert on the practical use of medieval weapons. He's willing to beat the shit out of a piece of wood with a $600 sword till its crossguard comes loose, exposing its QA problems so you don't have to.

As with anybody on the intarbutts spewing opinions, take it with a grain of salt, and seek out a second or third opinion before spending a bunch of money on a new hobby.

better than lindybeige by an order of magnitude and also much less of a faggot

>video on Forests
Fuck, I'm gonna watch it.

What's the point of these threads? Everyone gives a varying opinion but the conclusion you draw is "A faggot with a couple of good videos."

And they all get compared to Matt Easton, who is generally regarded as an expert worth listening to.

>What's the point of these threads?
It's to attract more viewers and admoney for him. Consider it one of the advertisement threads which have been frequent on Veeky Forums for the last two years.

He's alright.

I appreciate that he recognizes that he is not an expert but also that what he says does have some backing and logic behind it.

Whose tod?

He's okay, I guess?
My main problem is that to me this guy has crazy eyes, like he got a stabbing spree in his future, after baing asked to sign a katana or something.

I personally prefer Matt Easton; chill dude and obviously knows his shit.

Metratron has some interestig videos, but can be a bit cringy every once in a while.

As I Canuck from the other side of Canuckistan, I fucking hate him.

Sorry

How is he so perfect, lads?

Isn't he from Norway originally? They're all autistic goblins there anyway.

He's a bald brother

>Knowledgeable
>Fit
>Professional
>Great Speaking Voice
>Generally presents info instead of pushing opinion as fact

He's an excellent educator who doesn't come off as a prick.

I think he's norwegian.

>/k/ autist who complains that fantasy swords wouldn't be practical IRL as if anybody else cares and doesn't know that it's impracticable
Shit tier. Just like people who complain about boob plate. Worst broken record whiners on the planet.

>Those gauntlets
HNNNNGG

I don't think the youtube money is the biggest thing with him. I know he's mentioned on a few of his sword reviews that he picked up the thing he's talking about with cash from a patreon budget.

Agreed. I don't like when Lindy talks about weapons, but his "contextual" videos are insightful.

The video where he visited a catacomb and shown details like lamp alcoves and the meal room was fascinating.

Didn't he say that he's only being autistic for the sake of it?