/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Veeky Forums character sheets
mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread How have you been outsmarted by the fey, or how have you outsmarted the fey?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/racial-bloodlines/kobold-bloodline-sorcerer-kobold
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anons? Would-be homebrewer here trying to ge the hang of crafting feats for 5e... tell me, would you consider this feat overpowered?

Feat: Draconic Mutt
In your veins flows the lineage of not one but two different kinds of dragon, and although initially one dominated, the other has awoken through your constant tapping of your ancestral power.
Prerequisite: Draconic Ancestry trait
Effect: Choose a second breed of dragon from the Draconic Ancestry list. You now count as descending from both this type of dragon and your original selection for terms of determining other traits affected by your Draconic Ancestry. This includes the Damage Resistance and Breath Weapon of Dragonborn (although a Dragonborn can still only use its Breath Weapon once per short rest) and the Elemental Affinity of Draconic Bloodline Sorcerers.

Durable feat benefit:
+1 CON, so that's half of an Ability Score Increase.
The other half is situationally more HP during short rests per hit die, benefiting a low HD character with either very high or very low CON, and with diminishing results for all other classes. If you are playing a martial with an average constitution score, you will benefit very little from the second half of durable.

aHR0cDovL3d3dzg5LnppcHB5c2hhcmUuY29tL3YvTHBTSXZodzEvZmlsZS5odG1s

Alright, thought of a subrace, tell me what you think
Wholeling (Halfling)
+1 con
Medium
30 movement speed
darkvision

Longbows are heavy. That seems like a pretty big fuck you to the idea of a halfling or gnome ranger, considering they don't get a choice to start with a bow they can actually use.

i'm about to break up with someone in my gaming group. I'm the dm. I don't hate him and I have to live with him. how fucked am I?

how's a 3ft tall gnome going to draw back a 6ft long bow?

They just don't have the arm's length to use it

So, anons? If I want to replace gnolls as the Chaotic Evil Beastmen Raiders species with a Shin'hare expy, based on a cabal of elven druid-necromancers who got killed, survived by possessing & mutating a rabbit warren, and now want to enslave/exterminate all other life for their humiliation, using the Shin'hare's tactics of blood magic, arcanely-boosted fertility, necromancy and utter callousness towards the lives of their underlings, am I a bad DM?

>how fucked am I?

not very, apparently.

>long bow
>don't have the arm's length to use it

Isn't it quite relative what a long or a short bow really is?

>Isn't it quite relative what a long or a short bow really is?
No.

It makes sense that they can't use it. But a ranger gets a longbow. They don't get "a longbow or a martial ranged weapon" or the like so that a small race can have a short bow or a crossbow or something.

halflings are medium n'est pas?

And assuming they have the same strength everyone else does (which bears out in their stats), I see no reason they couldn't use one. They just hold them sideways, and look cooler doing it!

Longbow: 50gp
Shortbow: 25gp

Sell Longbow, obtain shortbow.

if it's small enough for a small unit to draw, it's not a longbow

just ask your dm to switch it

they're small

Halflings and gnomes are small.
Not really arguing that they're screwed over or anything. Just seems an odd choice to have the book force a specific bow, such that a halfling ranger heads out on adventure with a bow he can't use and without one he can. No biggie, just silly.

Oh well, that's an easy way to homebrew a fix: Rangers can also start with short bows.

I'm pretty sure this was just an overlook

The entire game is an overlook.

woah man, you sure showed us.

A Halfling longbow would just have a comparatively longer draw length in relation to its height.

no

anyone done the out of the abyss campaign yet? thinking of picking it up, how is it?

Underrated comment

That's not how that works. It'd be like saying a halfling size cannon would have the same firepower as a human sized cannon, just scaled down to fit their height.

They're just called Lings, bro.

To be fair I didn't say it made, but Halfling archers were often represented as having a exaggerated draw, sometimes even bending backwards.

Am I getting this right ?

>Brutal Critical
>Savage strike
On crit, add one weapon damage DIE to your damage roll

If you have a greatsword you add 1d6, if you have a greataxe you add 1d12 ?

And what does this 1d6 represent ?

>Flesh to stone
>Stoneshape
What happens?

Is short longbows the new meme?

Yes. A greataxe crit will be 3d12, a greatsword will be 5d6

>And what does this 1d6 represent ?
...extra damage?

It makes you wonder about the size of their shortbows.

>And what does this 1d6 represent ?
how brutal or savage your strike is.

I like my shortbows halfling sized and my longbows wholeling sized.

some unpleasant things.

as a tack on, is it unbalanced for the DM to rule that on a critical hit, you only add 1 of the damage die instead of doubling?

like a greatsword does 3d6 instead of 4d6

Can I make humans into dragons? Or do I just get Junji Ito shit?

What would be the damage and properties of a short longbow and a long shortbow?

you CAN, but when someone casts stone to flesh on them they'll die.

what about a wholeling halfling short longbow?

I think that's a serious nerf to greatswords mostly so I'm not sure why you feel that's necessary. Greataxes and greatswords roughly keep pace by having better crits and most consistent damage rolls respectively. Gutting a greatsword's critical seems excessive.

There is a mountain dwarf sorcerer, wild magic. He has rolled increased height 4 times. He is a 6 foot tall dwarf now.

Currently he is immune to getting drunk.

Funny character, completely weak though.

Yes. Don't nerf martials like that. There's an entire class that relies on criticals.

>Play a Charlatan Bard
>Built around Magebreaking, Skills and Utility
>Stuck in a table of ass holes and roll players who keep disdaining my play style just because I deal shit damage.
>Even though the weaboo munchkin tank didn't take a single hit the whole fucking battle thanks to my protection, but whatever
>DM is the worse metagamer of all
>Social interactions are shit. DM's trying to be cool by getting in on "fuck the bard" meme and so even though I am a human with 20 charisma, every new NPC in every plane of existence begins every interaction already treating me like shit the dog dragged in
>my own rp gets fucked up and interrupted by the moans and bitching from the roll players whenever I open my mouth in anything other than "BARKEEP, WHERE IS THE NEAREST QUEST FOR TWENTY BUGBEAR'S ASSHOLES?", so now I cant even do that.

Sorry for the blogging tg, but I'm getting pretty sick of this game.

Anyone /mounted combatant/ here ?

Is this any good ? I am thinking about find steed too, it seems a pretty cool spell.

>share your mounted combat stories

Git gud groop

don't take their shit
talk to your DM, say that you want to keep playing but it sucks to be in your position, try to make some arrangement

dash -> unmount and move some more

What role does Tiamat take in your games?

She and her nameless spouse were the first gods from the Primordial/Elemental Chaos, who begat all other gods. She was overthrown and slain by a storm god and chief of the pantheon, who divided her body to make the Heavens and the Underworld/Abyss. This is the first Creation myth as told be the prehistoric lizardfolk and draconic empires.

>using forgotten realms deities

Gross desu.

Anons? I got a setting in which kobolds are going to be playable, so I want to adapt PF's Kobold Bloodline for Sorcerers. Does this look balanced to any of you, or is it hideously overpowered?

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/racial-bloodlines/kobold-bloodline-sorcerer-kobold

1st Level Feature: Draconic Ancestry
As per the Draconic Bloodline feature of the same name. You can spend 1 Sorcery Point to gain Damage Resistance to your ancestor's associated damage type for 1 hour.

1st Level Feature: Trapsense
You gain Proficiency with Thieves Tools and the Perception skill. When attempting to perceive or disarm traps, you double your Proficiency bonus.

6th Level Feature: Trap Runes
As a bonus action, you can spend sorcery points to cause a runic sigil imbued with elemental energy to form at a point you designate within hand's reach. This trap rune explodes in a 5ft burst if it is touched by any creature other than you, inflicting 3d6 (4d6 at 11th level, 5d6 at 16th level) elemental damage - this damage is chosen from the list of Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning and Poison when you create the trap rune. Creatures caught in the explosion can attempt a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus) to halve the damage taken on a successful save. It costs 2 Sorcery Points to create 1 trap rune, and it remains in place for eight hours or until triggered, whichever comes first.

14th Level Feature: Arcane Ambusher
You no longer provoke opportunity attacks whilst moving through the space of an enemy creature.

18th Level Feature: Mineghost
You gain the Earth Glide racial trait. This is a Burrow speed equivalent to your default movement speed, but benefiting from any class-based improvements to movement speed. Unlike a normal Burrow speed, you do not displace the earth you are moving through, instead passing through it as though you were ethereal.

You forgot that its been a deity from various settings for decades.

However, in the setting I'm using, Tiamat is not a goddess of evil dragons--instead, he is one of the pantheon of the Annunaki, the Gods of a certain region of mountains in the setting.

I really want to do that, but I'm trying to find a way where, in the group, I can do it and "not be the asshole who can't take a joke", or be pushed into making a scene like last time we rolled characters, and they all *had* to roll Charisma casters -and I went for quiet rogue type- and they flipped their shit at me for criticizing their "Check List" questing, and sending our social benefits down the shitter without so much as a care in the world.

The DM is actually a pretty good guy at heart, but he's also pretty bipolar when it comes to reacting to feedback, and quick to overcompensate to feedback

Reminds me of my current game. DM thinks we're playing minecraft or something, all his rewards are random parts to get to the local magic item crafter to create random magic items and that seems to be entirely the plot of the game.

Sounds perfect for the default group of murder hobos.

Git gud groop

I'm this close to doing so. It's mostly on account of them basically holding my bard's story line hostage.

Roll a fucking barbarogue to the point of obnoxiousness.

When will Novembers UA get released? this week or next week?

Mindwitnesses are so cool. Mindflayers are super cool

I'm creating a homebrew race (Non-playable) for a campaign I'm going to run. I already got the general idea such. But how detailed should I make them? Should I just make the general idea and then just improvise when the players make that information relevant or should I make everything overly detailed?

So I dunno if I'm that guy or what

>Playing Oath of Vengenace paladin, chaotic neutral
>overarching plot dealing with a vampire
>keep disagreeing with party
>at entrance of cave, villagers are in back of cave and will die if we go in and attack
>arguing with bard about who wants to kill the kobolds - who will kill the villagers if the mercenaries who keep raiding them don't leave, otherwise the villagers are free to go
>same mercenaries, and some guards are planning a coup and have murdered several people
>have 16 cha, trying to talk to bard who has 20 cha, we both roll persuasion and he wins
>it is against my oath to directly cause harm to innocents, I cannot be convinced to kill kobolds who just want to live in peace for a coup
>DM says then I have broke my oath, I am now an antipaladin
>ok fine, seeing the lowest dregs of humanity have turned me against them, cast dreadful aspect, my alignment is now lawful evil
>Crit the bard with a Divine smite, I called it a Malevolent smite
>Outright kills him
>DM says Torm instantly kills me and revives the bard
>never want to play with me again

>DM says then I have broke my oath
>cast dreadful aspect, my alignment is now lawful evil
>Crit the bard with a Malevolent Smite
>Outright kills him

>Having players roll Charisma against eachother
>Going through with a plan that will force the Paladin to fall

Nah, main thing you did wrong was killing the bard right away, but honestly that was to be expected by suddenly making you an oathbreaker out of nowhere.

Cosmetic Surgery.

>We're gonna have to put you under for this operation

>>DM says then I have broke my oath, I am now an antipaladin
That's very... stupid, to say the least.

>>DM says Torm instantly kills me and revives the bard
nah man. That just a bad DM if you ask me.

I found the sith lord

I'll do it, Master

It's released on Mondays, so next week.

>>have 16 cha, trying to talk to bard who has 20 cha, we both roll persuasion and he wins

I see your mistake here.

Speaking of, I have too have a bard who is being a dickass. He keeps talking on about random shit forever - yeah I know - and keeps starting shit, I and other players have to deal with and fix since it an extreme detriment to the campaign.

The DM and I want to find a creative way to guide his character into not being a cunt. We are all relatively new.

Depends, how much use are you going to get out of them, and how much attention are your players likely to pay them?

If they're going to get confused over potential contradictions or lore conflicts, or if they're going to be deeply important to the campaign, then deeper lore planning is usually advised, otherwise just fixing the most essential details and spitballing further notes on the fly as they're called for will usually suffice.

How is Storm King's Thunder?

>Drats

I play a halfling archer - and I mean a shortbow basically IS a longbow for a halfling, they're just too short to wield a classic longbow. Things like "recurve bows" etc do exist tho..

Any ideas? Short of killing him of course

Asking him not to like a reasonable human being

Using the UA ranger, how intelligent is the animal companion assuming i use an ape/primate? Can they carry a bag? use weapons? For example if i gave it proficiency in medicine could it stabilize a downed ally?

Primates can use tools. If I were a DM, I would certainly rule that they could carry a bag, though even a horse could do that with some straps.

The only weapons they could probably use would be simple ones, like a club. I'd hestitate to give them anything sharp or that needs proper grip.

Using complex tools like bandaging a downed ally is right out. At best, I could see them being taught to feed them healing potions.

Any dm app with a monster database that is not dm minion? Dm minion doesn't show the entire stat block, and I'm surprised not to find another app like it...

Thats fair, that's probably what I'd do as well. Is 6 int high enough that if they were given a magic item that allows them to speak a language that it could talk? Doesn't really matter just curious.

Well, Gorilla's in real life can be taught to speak sign language, so I would imagine such an effect would work.

You're basically dealing with something a couple steps down from caveman. They can use basic tools, follow simple instructions, and are capable of somewhat advanced thoughts and communication. They won't be doing things that require lots of steps, like making fire or building a stone axe, or speaking verbosely.

Can a Mystic use Beacon to create ultraviolet light?

Pic unrelated.

>roll Oath Paladin myrmidon-type character like pic related
>go around telling the PCs and every NPC I meet that I'm an emissary from my distant island homeland and I have a message for their king
>never tell DM or players what my oath or message is
>3 months of this until we finally get an audience with the king
>loudly inform king that four years ago a ship of his crashed on my homeland and his sailors ate my people's sheep without permission
>DM/King confusedly asks "Is, uh, is that your message?"
>Get up irl and change song from DnD playlist to 'Lose Yourself'
>Group shifts around in their seats nervously
>Whisper "No, THIS IS"
>Pull out smuggled shortsword from tunic and tell DM I am going to roll to throw the sword at the king like a knife
>EVEN WITH DISADVANTAGE I HIT
>DM facepalms and tells us to roll for initiative. King still isn't dead
>I roll less shit than everyone else
>Charge throne, vault guards and shank king twice with paring knife for good measure
>King/DM mutters "Dude... seriously?" as the king dies
>Oath completed, stretch my arms outward and look to the heavens in a Christlike fashion
>A smile graces my lips as a dozen spears pierce my body and my Gods welcome me into the Fields of Elysium
>Last thing I hear is my party being slaughtered in ensuing scuffle behind me

So yeah that's how I became my group's “That Guy”. The two party members that were smart enough to surrender to the guards are now in jail, and everyone else is RRing characters.

Got any good epic moments from your campaign recently, /5eg/?

I mean, if the Mystic is even aware that ultraviolet light even exists, why not?

What are the scenarios where one would discover ultraviolet light? Could a Mystic just attempt to create light of a color they don't know exists, or do they have to think of the color? It just says the color can be whatever you want.

Well, I'd suggest that, if the leap from visible light to infrared light can be made in the 1800 on our world--without magic--then the intuitive leap for ultraviolet can't be that far behind. Proving it, though, would be difficult.

Anyone have rec's for paper mini stands/holders? Figure I could print some out to use instead of 3d minis.

>good, epic moments?
No, you just went full retard and ruined the game for everybody else.

Dwarves call humans "manlings".
Creatures about half the size of humans are "halflings".
Thus, humans = lings.
If a human and a halfling reproduce, would the result be a threequartersling?

One of the problems inherent in trying to create light in a color that you don't exist is that it's not something that the human mind can really do.

For an example of what I'm talking about, try to imagine a new color.

But hey, maybe the Mystic can see or somehow imagine ultraviolet light. I would really ask the DM. If you are the DM, just let him do it. The Light spell is never going to be powerful enough to cause a sunburn or any kind of damage, short or long term.

Just ended my first session DMing. People seemed to dig it, even though an NPC War cleric nearly clove the tiefling in twain with a Great Weapon if you catch my drift.

I figure it'd be a Stoutheart/Tallfellow halfling, myself. Sort of like how, in old FR lore, human + dwarf was "taller than average dwarf" or how Stout halflings are reputed to be dwarf/halfling crossbreeds.

>2E has Dwarves with a serious fertility issue, taking human women to reproduce instead
>the offspring are full Dwarves, but taller
>presumably these tall Dwarves also wind up taking human brides on occasion
Where the fuck are my 6'3" Dwarves?

While I don't think past material ever said ultravision was flat-out ultraviolet light vision, they did say that infravision (Dwarves, Elves) was flat-out infrared light vision (with Dwarves even being able to change their own fucking body temperature).

So Drow scholars probably know that UV light exists.

Druid is my crutch... I'm too afraid to try other class. Help me /5eg/.

the reward will be 50gp each

Never go full retard.

Been really enjoying it so far but I haven't gotten to the meat of the adventure yet. Giants are gnarly as fuck to fight.

Is there any good potion making homebrews?