Mercury

Have you ever done anything with Mercury in your games?
What about other liquid metals?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HntOcF-4j3o
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranyl_fluoride
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2013/01/09/things_i_wont_work_with_azidoazide_azides_more_or_less
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time
library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2016/09/27/what-this-here-compound-needs-is-some-hydrogen-peroxide
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2014/10/10/things_i_wont_work_with_peroxide_peroxides
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The fuck? Is the guy actually drinking Hg?
Chinese are crazy...

Elemental mercury is relatively safe because it doesn't dissolve in water or fats. Mercury poisoning is almost always caused by compounds or salts.

Never knew that, so it'll just give him some silver-coated shit?

Pretty sure that isn't mercury.

Until it ionizes and becomes incredibly dangerous.

If nothing else, him drinking that shit is a major biohazard.

I guess searching says it is Mercury.

Jesus christ.

I once threw acid in another player's face. Does that count?

She survived, but they kicked me out of the group. :(

Relatively is the key word. It's not the worst thing you can do but it's a long way from the best.

It's dangerous enough that if spilled it requires a biohazard cleanup, man.

im pretty sure that is gallium and not mercury
Gallium is considered to be non-toxic.

bringing mercury in contact or even near unaware persons is pretty dumb.

use gallium, ppl have been using it for ever bare handed. magicians use chilled gallium in the form of a spoon for multiple tricks including stirring it in a cup till it seemingly disappears.

>biohazard
>China

There's your problem.

Dude is Russian

youtube.com/watch?v=HntOcF-4j3o

Well it isn't like Russia isn't unfamiliar with biohazard stuff. Hell, take a look at their aircraft carrier.

What do you mean? Smoke dissolves in air, everybody knows that.

You can drink mercury and back in the good old days they even had some laying around if they needed to take a shit bad and needed a little extra to get it out.

As for the question. An aluminium plant is great for cyberpunk. Aluminium is mined as a salt. But if you want to electrolyse it you need to melt it. Salts do not melt well at all. So what you get is a bath of super hold liquid salt with electricity for electrolysis. Just make it an old factory, make it old and unsafe, and you got a neat location.

>Have you ever done anything with Mercury in your games?
In one game all his character did was shoot a man in the head, run to tell his mom and then he dissapeared off the face of the Earth.

Then in another game when her character was suppossed to be talking about space engineering she started spouting gibberish. She said "it's in her charsheet", but when we looked at it all she had was the lyrics to Highway to the Danger Zone

I'm pretty sure that's not gallium based on the cost. A quick google search tells me that gallium goes for about $220 for 100 grams

All gods have an earthly domain.

The god of intelligence, mages and knowledge has an observatory: a giant clockwork eyeball floating on a reservatory of mercury, which gazes the Heavens, beneath the Earth and all in between.

I'm planing to give a pimping cane made of an easy to melt metal, like tin, to our party pyromancer so he can melt it on our enemy face or make quick soldered joints or something.
There may be a better metal for that but I don't know shit and don't want to inadvertently pull out something from modern chemistry.

Still looking for a chemical idea for our hydromancer though... Sodium?

Titanium tetrachloride. When it is exposed to air the moisure in the air creates HCl (if dissolved in water becomes hydrochloric acid) and TiO2. Which is best known for titanium white. Great for smoke screens and dumping in water. No idea when it was first made or discovered.

In that same vein, uranium hexafluoride does similar but nastier.

When UF6 is exposed to water, it turns into UO2F2, creating hydrofluoric acid in the process. UO2F2 is all sorts of horrible, even if you don't make it with radioactive uranium isotopes. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranyl_fluoride

Just how many chemicals with 'fluoride' in the name don't do horrible and/or terrible and/or burny things?

Pretty much all the group I and II metals form salts with fluoride that are (relatively)safe.

Looking it up, it's irritant but that could work.
Couldn't find an history of it though.

I'm not trying to make us war criminals, user.
I would have used "spirits of salt".

I was asking because looking for things that react with water quickly get out of end...
Well, smoke screens are fine.

>dangerous compound thread
Oh boy time to post this again.
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2013/01/09/things_i_wont_work_with_azidoazide_azides_more_or_less

Storytime please

> the biggest accomplishment in such work is not blowing out the lab windows
> the question is not whether such things are going to be explosive hazards
> The question is whether you’re going to be able to get a long enough look at the material before it realizes its dream of turning into an expanding cloud of hot nitrogen gas.
> the whole thing is trembling on the verge of not existing at all.
> And if you are minded to make some yourself, then you are on the verge of not existing at all, either.
> The compound exploded in solution
> it exploded on any attempts to touch or move the solid
> and (most interestingly) it exploded when they were trying to get an infrared spectrum of it.
> There are no conceivable uses for it
Is that what black magic look like?

Sold a cure-all containing it to settlers in the wild west.
In my defense, I WAS a snake-oil salesman looking to make a quick buck to start my true project, camphor pills.

why did they make it steam powered?

Because that's a thing in real life that asian shitbags do, dumbass

Got to love those weird chemical compounds that probably shouldn't really be able to exist at all, but somehow manage to be just stable enough to exist as long as no force whatsoever is applied on them, at whcih point they realise they really shouldn't be and spontaneously explode.

TFC, or whatever that fluoride compound used as rocket fuel is called, another good example. Stuff burns water and produces acid as a combustion product.

Pretty sure that's diesel powered. American carriers are the steam-powerd ones (because really, a nuclear reactor is nothing more than a fancy steam engine that uses heat generated by nuclear fission in place os heat from burning coal).

That open new possibilities for a steampunk setting!
> Expect cogfog
> Get Asimov magical realm

No, but some of the other posts in blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/category/things-i-wont-work-with reveal that the world has some genuine mad scientists.

There's stuff in there that has fucking LEATHER AND CHAINMAIL ARMOR as standard laboratory equipment for handling it.

Ok, what the fuck is going on in here? What is he saying?

toothpaste related stuff. They can be okay, especially in some salts. But they are a halogen (like chlorine, bromine, iodine) and those are nasty in general.

I remember that. Had to learn the theory of how to make diazonium alkanes. Lets just put it this way. Those things are fucked up. But I must say making them isnt as hard as it should be.

Get nitrious acid. Let it react with a primary amine and youre good to go.The pro of the compound is that it reacts really well since the nitrogen leaves as a gas and cant react back. The con is that light causes it to explode, any impact can make it explode and the roughness of ground glass can make it explode. Now since most modern lab glassware is ground to fit neatly into eachother you have to get some stoppers+smooth glasswork and start drilling holes to make your own setup.

Yeah usually they put those guys in the labs that are at the corner of the building. Although if you work with thiols they might put you just behind them since the stench is insane

That's not because of the risk of someone swallowing it, that's because inhaling it is what's actually incredibly poisonous.

>Asian
Middle Eastern. Don't mix East Asians up with those assholes, please.

>You can drink mercury and back in the good old days they even had some laying around if they needed to take a shit bad and needed a little extra to get it out.

This was also back when people were unfamiliar with mercury poisoning. is right that pure mercury is relatively safe, but mercury forms compounds really easily, and the damage that toxic mercury compounds do is not immediately obvious.

No, the russians actually operate a coal-fired carrier for some ungodly bizzare reason. Eight fucking coal-powered boilers.

Are Indians Middle Eastern? It's fairly common in India, as well as in Western China.

Maybe you could but... why?

>Western China
This place is pretty much exactly like Central Asia. So, middle eastern with some asians mixed in, mostly those sent there by the government. That's why the Chinese government keeps fucking with them, to prevent them from organizing any kind of radicalization.

>India
South Asian is a term I've seen used, but you really should just call them Indians.

because you want to drive an unfavorable reaction?

It must be tiredness because I read
>Let it react with a primary amine and youre good to go
as
>Let it react with a primary ANIME and youre good to go

And I was wondering just what sort of chemical this is.

Maybe they want the nostalgia of the 1800s or whenever. The thing is also breaking down in a typically Russian fashion as well.

Yeah right... that shit is just a key part of the globalist, Jewish communist conspiracy, along with mental hygiene and polio monkey serums

Nice try, NWO ◔__◔

Had a Promethean whose primordial humor was Mercury. In Prometheans the hunors influence your personality so he was someone cold, a liar and, before anything else, practical.

I was kinda scared he would turn out to be an edgelord, but the player knew what he was doing.

The British call them Asians and I think that they might actually add a special qualifier to East Asians and South East Asians to differentiate between them and Indians/Pakistanis/etcetera

>The British call them Asians
You know why that is, dude. It's to associate them with a so-called 'model minority' and so it's not as clear who they're talking about.

Shadowrun toxic shaman had a "last resort/fuck you" dimethylmercury totem.

I think it's more because the largest population from the Asian continent were Indians/Pakistanis/etc.

I mean, the British also called them "niggers" and I don't think that that was because they wanted to associate them with their African model minority

>I mean, the British also called them "niggers"
They're not even related so that's pretty stupid desu.

the fact you dont drop dead instantly puts it a notch above most other toxic things

Lots. Fluorine is crazy.

Look into chlorine trifluoride (ClF3). Its a better oxidizer than oxygen, it can burn things like water and asbestos, and ut burns with nigh-unquenchable 2400 degree flames.

Or fluoroantimonic acid (H2SbF), an acid quadrillions of times stronger than sulfuric acid that also produces volatile fluorine products. These, incidentally, love to bond with calcium. So they can and will burn through your bones. The acid also has to be stored in teflon containers because it will eat through organics, metal, and even glass.

>blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

>It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that’s the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively.

>test engineers

If you want to read the book that passage is from you can see it here
library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

Most of it isn't near that great, but there's other interesting bits in there too.

Teflon is polytetrafluroethane or something like that

He gets a lovely mercury milk mustache in the gif, so I'm pretty sure he's breathing it.

I want it.

>it exploded when they were trying to get an infrared spectrum of it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA My god I think I'm in love.

I wonder which equipment they are allowed to use.

>ow you got that nitro stuff
>well we have this IR thingy, I dont know if it works, been a while since someone fired it up, something like 1930

I made an "Anti-Rust Monster" for my OSR game. Had it hiding a a pool of mercury.
Quicksilver
HD: 4 (18)
Armour: none
STR 8 | DEX 17 | WIL 14 | CHA 12 | INT 5 | CON 18
Weapons: none
Special:
Any metal the Quicksilver passes through will warp as if liquid, solidifying with ripples and spiky protrusions. Metal weapons and armour that touch the Quicksilver will deform and gain a notch.
Quicksilver with HP

Essentially going on about how the metallic form isn't harmful, otherwise people working with planes or with mercury for 40+ years would die. He can put it in his mouth but it isnt harmful, only harmful in cases of being even slightly radiated, or when it combines with other stuff (I think he said salts or the sort). He stutters a lot so it's a bit hard to tell, also the translation's out of order for the sake of more easily understanding his train of thoughts.

>dimethylmercury totem.
Too far, chummer
Too far
even the insect spirits think you're too far

Oh for fucks sake. That's not a compound, that's a cloud of slightly impure nitrogen gas that just happens to be a bit less ideal at the moment.

>blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2016/09/27/what-this-here-compound-needs-is-some-hydrogen-peroxide

Right, so you see this molecule here on the right? Yeah, let's stuff a hydrogen peroxide molecule into the hollow space in the middle of it.

>finely grinding and packing the material

NOPE!

Didn't the first emperor of China go insane and dead from murcury poisoning after his astrologists suggested that imbibing it would cure him of the syphilis that was already making him insane and make him immortal?

He was even buried in a tomb with a moat of it as I recall.

I thought I knew some crazy fuckers. They were adding nitro groups on cubane.

>blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2014/10/10/things_i_wont_work_with_peroxide_peroxides

>It’s instantly recognizable in the NMR, with a chemical shift of 13.4 for those barely-attached-to-earth hydrogens.
Sweet jesus. That its allowed near an NMR at all

This just keeps delivering

>The CN7 anion

>The authors report a whole series of salts, X-ray structures and all, which range from the “relatively stable” lithium and sodium derivatives all the way to things that couldn’t even be isolated. In the latter category is the rubidium salt, which they tried to prepare several times. In every case, the solution detonated spontaneously on standing. And by “spontaneously”, they mean “while standing undisturbed in the dark”,

>you will never work in that lab and make all those crazy things

Best we got was tricking some retard into making peroxides from ether.

That's pretty much what all these funky highly explosive nitrogen compounds are based on. Naturally occurring nitrogen compounds are very stable because nitrogen bonds are strong and take a lot of energy to break. But at the same time, breaking those bonds releases a lot of energy, which is why many nitrogen-based compounds make for good explosives. A lot of them are also quite safe explosives, as you need fairly large initial energy to kick off the explosion (ie. you must light a fuse to make the explosive go off, rather than it blowing up because you shook it a little too hard; not that there aren't nitrogen compounds that do that as well).

All these funky compounds are essentially in a state that is by no means stable in nature, and have just a tiny potential energy bump keeping them from breaking up and becoming nitrogen gas. So even the tiniest nudge is enough to push them over the bump, and turn them to gas. Explosively.

Makes him into ferrus manus

ferrus anus*

>He stutters a lot so it's a bit hard to tell
Impairment of speech is a symptom of mercury poisoning.

The middle east is in Asia.

>constant stuttering
>visible muscular spasms
>t-t-t-t-t-t-there's no way pure m-m-m-m-mercury is harmful
This guy isn't making a very convincing case.

"Ignore the fact I show all the outward visible signs of long term mercury poisoning, it's not harmful!"

Liquid mercury is okay. Its just that even a droplet of mercury in a bedroom-sized room that evaporates is enough to push the mercury concentration beyond safety levels. The guy is in a room with no cap on a mercury pool. The air there is just pure poison.

He''s still right about it not being poisonous when hes drinking it though.

Moegnesium?

Things I Won't Work With is the best part of that blog, and the reason I started in chemistry.