Hipster Commanders Edition

Hipster Commanders Edition

Old: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-is-forever/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-07-15-voltron-cromat/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/olivia-mobilized-for-discarding/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghaves-anatomy/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/its-time-talk-commander-2016-edition-2016-10-26
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahijis-unstoppable-dragon-army/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ded game. Make another general when commander 2017 comes out.

Yeah I do a bit of that but your advice about being more aware about subthemes is helpful. Thanks, yo. I want consistency but not so consistent that it just leads to every game having the same end goal and win condition. So I do understand what you're saying about it not being everything.
Yeah probably gonna throw Troll back in. Wish Fauna Shaman/Survival and Greater Good weren't such pricy cards. Shaman and Greater Good need a reprint in a product like commander at the least.
Buried alive and Pod are in the deck, just not in the photo. They also don't help when I want fatties in the grave but I draw into fatties before Buried or Pod. That picture is not representative of an entire deck.

Bi yearly commander products when wiz? We need commander sets retreading all the one shot mechanics.

>duel commander will never be a good format

Fauna shaman will probably never get a print in a commander product, at least not any time soon. They specifically avoid tutors in these decks. Surprised at no greater good or Sylvan library in one though.

Any other Suggestion to what card should be remove/replace?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghave-is-forever/

Xth for OG artificer still the best artificer

As a big fan of turbofog stuff, I'm fucking hyped for these guys

Read this is turbofag

Urza was always better, Mishra had to steal other people's shit to even compete

Xth for the new king of good stuff.

it's all ogre now

Turbofag sounds great, to be honest

Similar to french griselbrand lists but more big mana.

Perhaps we ogreestimated the viability of the other 4c commanders.

I never played commander before but C16 decks seems to be a good value for money. I'm mainly playing casual usually pauper games with W/G, B/W and R/B decks.

Maybe if the fanbase could get ogre their sense of entitlement, wizards wouldn't have felt obligated to make them.

I'm considering using them for a Human Tribal deck. RWUG has access to some of the best human centric tech we have.

Love drana

>Red
Into the trash it goes

Could run a few of the spellshapers. A couple of them are fine. Also I like Mindslicer because he's stupidly strong and Smallpox is cool as well.

If you don't have another deck, I HEAVILY suggest buying a different precon. The 4c decks are generally incoherent so unless you're canabilizing it for parts, you're going to get a little frustrated with the inconsistency.

You don't LOVE Drana, you love the IDEA of Drana.

Shiet, I'm retarded. I was about to ask about which deck seems to be the most newbie friendly one.

I think it has more to do with the ogrewhelming commanders that were released in the previous sets. How could any of the partner commanders compare to prosh?

Draw + lands sounds great in a human deck

So I looked at the partner commanders and thought that Tymna might be quite synergistic with Kydele, Kruphix chick. You'd hit people with evasive dudes or spirit tokens or something, draw some cards, and get like 3 to 5 colorless mana. What are some mana sinks that are helpful in a postcombat main phase in a non red deck that wants to be evasive?

Hey guys, what's going on ogre here?

>RG for mana ramp and aggression
>RB/UR for answers
>UR for other general faggotry

Try again m8.

Honestly? None of them. Do not buy a new precon if you're brand new because you wont really understand what's going on when you get an unplayable hand with 3 lands in it. I suggest picking up whatever c15 precon tickles your fancy, or grabbing one of the monocoloured ones from a year or so ago. Even the tricolour ones are fine, but seriously user, you're going to struggle if you aren't very experienced with magic playing one of these decks. I'm a turbo autist, and after drawing a few hands from these things, it's not an easy decision to figure out how to improve the stupid thing.

>this fuzzy logic
"No". I don't really care about red, but just splashing more colours because you can is not a good idea, unless you're a very experienced deck builder. Tricolours draw bullshit dead hands more than they should, even if they're tuned relatively well.

Can you play EDH on mtgo?

My job is all consuming and I no longer have the time or ability to play magic, so mtgo looks like a more and more attractive option every day.

Yes, you can

is it as much of a clusterfuck as it looks? I've seen the mtgo client on streams and it doesn't seem very... "streamlined" ?

yes but why would you want to do that when you have cockatrice

does cockatrice have a rules engine? I don't want to spend an hour arguing with tards about priority or on cast triggers

The MTGO software is like a million years old. What do you think?

You got me

no

im gonna partner this bitch up with the GW knight and do human tribal and tokens

Get the 2014 or the 2015 Commander decks. They're the easiest to control and are still around msrp.

Cockatrice is fucking abysmal.

Huh, I'm not gonna argue with you - you seem to be right. Probably I will just pick Kalemne or Meren deck from C15

How so? It's a pretty barebones program, there's not a lot of it to be bad.

Are you surprised?

20 life was a good change

It's just hard to balance, they'll get there eventually

>if only we had a colour whose color pie includes 7 card cycling

I would suggest picking up a deck from last year or a walker deck since they are mono colored.

The new decks are probably still fine for newer players but the mana base is gonna be frustrating. Other than mana base the only other thing I see 4 color turning dudes away from them is a subjective matter on how challenging do you want the deck to be when building and piloting it.

When it comes to newer EDH players, it's all on your taste of preffered play style. Atraxa seems like the most flexible one with different builds because proliferate is fucking good. Saskia seems stupid strong for aggro based decks. Kings seems like a strong and fun group hug commander if that;s something you've ever wanted to try. Yidris is for casting spells. I'm clueless about Breya.

I do like making flavor/theme decks, sadly I'm not in Houston, I'm in El Paso and can't travel really. Sounds cool though

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-07-15-voltron-cromat/

One of my pet projects, I am thinking about swapping out the borderposts and land cycling creatures for something. Not sure what though.

The land cycling with probably be swaped out for a Steel of the Godhead then some random bits like Bring to Light and the new Conqueror's Flail.

Any suggestions for the other slots. Either Meme-y 5 Color cards or cycles. Khans Magemarks are the only thing I've seen so far.

Hey, so this is my first time posting in one of these threads, been lurking for a while, but I just wanted to know if anyone would be willing to help me out with my Olivia, Mobilized for War list here.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/olivia-mobilized-for-discarding/

I want to have the vampire tribal element, and also make good use of madness and benefits from discarding. If there's anything obvious I missed or anything I should cut please let me know. Thanks guys.

Same guy, just posting to say yeah I know that it's over 99, it's a work in progress

It sounds good on paper
It will be too late. Hell it already is, a lot of people stopped playing it. That is what happens when you change the fundamental rules of a format every 2 months.

Land base needs work. Needs about 8 more lands. Remove some of those mana rocks.

You'd also be good at taking most of the Nephilim out. There's like only one good one, and he only good if you have a shrew of other creatures to back it up.

Some enchantment protection would be good too.

With the mana rocks, I've never had issues with the mana base or getting land screwed. I've adjusted it before when it become an issue, but so far it hasn't in the current form.

The nephilim stay in. They are a key component to the idiocy that is this deck. The deck is themed around shitty 5 multilcolor cycles so I don't want to remove any.

I need things that exile other things on ETB, but don't return it when the permanent is flickered. Anyone have any examples? Palace Jailer is pretty darn close.

enjoy shit5color.dec then

Blade of the Bloodchief= all the + counters
Blood Tribute= Huge life swing
living death= boardwipe and mass reanimate, can abuse with discard outlets
Crypt of agadeem= cabal coffers for the graveyard

I would try to fit in more black card draw, and tutor effects. Maybe fit a decree of pain in boardwipe and draw spell all in one. Anyway nice to see a themed deck.

That's why i made it :^)
Right now i'm just trying to make it Shitier5color.dec

Fiend Hunter, Faceless Butcher, Spell Queller, and Angel of Serenity come to mind

And Oblivion Ring and Parallax Wave but they're not creatures

Ravos + Vial Smasher seems like a decent good stuff commander pairing

Just play big spells and get the creatures back as they die

Hows it look?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ghaves-anatomy/

what could also be put in here?

Thanks for the help, but I think you misread things.

I need any nonland permanent that can exile something on ETB and NOT return it when the permanent is flickered. All of those will return things when I flicker them. The reason palace jailer in particular is good is because every time I flicker him, he exiles a creature until your opponent does damage to you.

I'd say either focus on basic fetching or cut Last Stand.

I also have no idea why you have the nephilim in there.

>a single player version of a multiplayer format
>good

No. But most people that play on Cockatrice are actually rather seasoned and know what's going on.
Also, if there's ever a rules problem, there is a global chat that usually has a judge or two on, as well as everyone else on at the time to talk to about it.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Technically those cards will leave the card in exile if you flicker them while their ETB is on the stack, but I guess you're counting on something like Conjurer's Closet

Ashen Rider and Angel of Despair, but those sort of effects are rare

All of the cards the guy listed do that, as long as the exile ability and return ability are two different abilities, you can perma-exile things by flickering the exiler while it's ETB is on the stack.
Fiend Hunter and O-Ring are the prime examples of this. Have them enter, while ETB is on the stack, flicker them, and the original ETB perma-exiles.

Most new cards that temp exile have it all as one ability because Wizards caught on to the abuse and fixed it.

What does Black bring to table in Maelstrom WandOgre assuming you update from Wander 1.0

You need a lot more mana fixing. I'd add something like Kodama's reach or explosive vegetation. Maybe some signets. Oh and also bird of paradise would be really good to add.

Hmmm, so what you're saying is, if I strionic resonator my brago, I can flicker while the ETB is on the stack, and double down on all those effects? See I'm running a dirty control setup after I accidentally oops'd into Palace Jailer and Identity Thief on the board with Brago and completely locked the other player out while I pinged them to death.

Well, considering you get an additional cascade on every spell you cast the turn you connect with Yidris, and you get an additional cascade on top of that for every instance of combat damage he deals (so double strike and extra combats are great)...
Plus, you can have Maelstrom Wanderer in the 99.

That wouldn't really work because you'd have to use Strionic before Brago's flicker resolves, and if you do that the copied flicker resolves first and then the original flicker fizzles because all of its targets are no longer there. (When you flicker something, the one that re-enters is treated as a completely different and new object by the game.)
But any other on-demand instant-speed flicker would work together with it, just Strionic doesn't work well with flicker effects in general due to it causing the original effect to fizzle.

Yes but what is Black really bringing to the table.

Consistency? Restrictionless tutoring? More removal?
There's never a situation where more card options is bad for cascade.

Fair enough, I guess my sneaky plan isn't as sneaky as I thought, and it's more niche tech.

That being said Ninth Bridge Patrol is the best common to come out in a long ass time. He's the perfect control finisher for these types of decks.

>just noticed the hand

wow, didnt realize that they were LITERALLY GAY

Vampiric Tutor turning Cascade into whatever spell you want for free.

>diabolic tutor for a spell
>cascade triggers off the tutor and lets you cast the spell you were about to tutor for
Well, Veeky Forums? What are you gonna do now? You're not just going to "fail to find" like a little bitch, are you?

>In the age of antiquity, the humans of the region that would one day become the largest polis on Theros were ruled by the tyrant Agnomakhos, an immortal archon. Unchecked for generations, his power grew as he carved out a mighty empire. Kynaios and Tiro, joined by their love for one another and for freedom, rose to challenge him. The people rallied to their cause, and Agnomakhos was defeated. The polis of Meletis was founded on the ruins of Agnomakhos's empire as a beacon of freedom and enlightenment, and its people chose Kynaios and Tiro to be its guardians.
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/its-time-talk-commander-2016-edition-2016-10-26

How could you not when this is their backstory?

>can just tutor for a different spell then
also
>cast tutors like Vampiric that put shit on the top before combat
>then swing and connect with Yidris
>then cast something and cascade into the tutored spell

user, you gotta think more in depth.

>>can just tutor for a different spell then
that's the joke user-kun

I'll get a different spell? What the hell am i doing tutoring for a

right, but like, what spell

I dunno. Exhanguinate and kill the table?
Tendrils of Agony? My storm count is already at 3 and the very least. Ad Nauseam if I still need to.

Is Maraxus of Keld Bane-themed deck hipster enough?

they should've made new Bruna's trigger on ETB

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gahijis-unstoppable-dragon-army/

Looking to fine tune the dragons in this for better interactions with the token base. Considered Spirit Dragon, but it seems like it's too slow. Thoughts?

Get meren, RW is painful in edh

What kind of creature removal spells are acceptable in a Gruul Commander? All I can find that's good is Beast Within, Chaos Warp and Decimate.

Personally I like armed and dangerous, lure, and enlarge. Gruul removal isn't simply casting a spell and blowing something up, quite often you need to destroy things through combat. Force blocks and death touch works half decently, as does first strike, but really, you're stuck using burn spells and blasphemous act. Arcbond works in a pinch against an alpha striking deck.

As long as the format is being watched over by literally monkeys, it's not gonna be good.
The rules people in EDH are bunch of incompetent idiots and french RC put them to shame in incompetence. French can be good, but there's literally no reason to play it instead of highlander besides of being a special snowflake and needing a constant access to a certain creature.

Also, steal effects into sad outlets works pretty well in red, haven't personally used it in gruul.

Any fight spell, like Prey Upon or Pit Fight, as long as you have big/protection/indestructible creatures.

Fighting with a Deathtouch is a wonderful feeling.

You really should consider song of the dryads and maybe even lignify
Besides that there's also Aftershock if you're only looking for hard removal. Red has at least 3 good mass damage wipes in Anger of the Gods, Volcanic Fallout, and Pyroclasm, and there are many sidegrade to all those as well.

I was thinking about making a mono black demon tribal deck with this guy as the commander? What would be some essentials?

BANE?

As someone who wishes they had, they knew exactly what they were doing when they didn't.