>DFC Fluff
mediafire.com/file/oysd2f64iytbd69/DFC_Fluff.pdf

>Where to order DFC from
waylandgames.co.uk/3951-dropfleet-commander
miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/dropfleet-commander.html
thewarstore.com/dropfleet-commander-preorder.html

>DFC Kickstarter, lots of useful information to drudge through
kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

Reminder to ignore bait, unless it is masterfully crafted.

Initial Topic: Now that all of the DFC rulebook has been scanned, what do you all think of it? Any interesting lists forming in your mind? What surprised you most about the fluff? Any particularly amusing typos that stand out?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6DhAAGZVAVo
youtu.be/IBAYW0WGKtE?list=PLRMcXkadosW43B18ZSbYFqBnFn2myQwRw
youtube.com/watch?v=f4zTGaOAs7M
youtube.com/watch?v=9IDnFzr_ZaY
youtu.be/A69BertdSt4
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4QiDHHTWI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OBf8f55tU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAlhuK3cgk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for every woman who's seen my PHR fleet has thought they were adorable, especially the frigates.

>I feel like I have bee deceived.
Nah, you've gotta read the short stories from the newsletters.

>PHR Siren who toys with a Brave so she can pull of a sweet trickshot with a detachable hand
>PHR Menchit pilot who purposefully tells his mech's AI to gimp its firing solutions so he can maximize his kills-per-bullet ratio and kill streak
>Fucking Marcus Barros

>PHR are DFC's Tyranids
Whoda thunk.

Interesting typo: 3 broadsides on the left, one on the right. Was that a priam?

Interesting fluff: scourge got their ass kicked. UCM making breakthrough finding PHR homeworld.

>3 broadsides on the left, one on the right. Was that a priam?
Leonidas/Agamemnon

Pics pls

First try with making a Scourge List, how much did I fuck up?

Clash 1500
Pathfinder: Nickar x2, Gargoyle x2, Scylla x3 (234pts, SR7)
Pathfinder: Djinn x3, Gargoyle x2, Yokai x2 (383pts, SR 15)
Line: Hydra (140pts, SR 5)
Line: Ifrit, Sphinx x2 (340pts, SR 15)
Vanguard: Wyvern, Fleet Overlord Banshee (395pts, SR 15)
1492pts

Hi, Rob

You're gonna want either a third group of strike carriers, or a troopship mein freund.

UCM dismisses claims of these so-called "Reapers" as Race X.

[Inception Noises]

I wonder how UCM managed to infiltrate their agent into PHR ship, might be a PHR bait.

Whatever happens, PHR homeworld gonna be found someday. giving us another battlefield.

>I wonder how UCM managed to infiltrate their agent into PHR ship

Only man in the Colonies that warms up with a five plate dinner.

>UCM finds one of the Shaltari homeworlds
>Shaltari go from 0 to 100 fucking instantly
>no more manipulation bullshit
>utter and total extermination of humanity for locating their worlds

>I wonder how UCM managed to infiltrate their agent into PHR ship, might be a PHR bait.
Which page?

It's been covered elsewhere. She didn't infiltrate in the espionage sense, she got aboard by sneaking on. She was discovered moments after she activated the beacon.

DFC core, p19, tlalocan system stuff.

it's just covered as 'An ONI operative managed to infiltrated the PHR cruiser Mind of Asimov carrying...', not mentioned how.

>Scourge respond with "hey, we were eating that" and divert a major counteroffensive to stop them

*infiltrate

It's not new fluff, it's been covered in greater detail before.

Espionage by UCM agents against the PHR can't be done because PHR citizens can immediately tell when someone has no implants.

Could you tell me where it was mentioned? can't find on reconquest p2 either.

This; PHR have a form of short-range empathy/telepathy (that's EM based) that's one of their most basic augments, found in everyone from (reportedly) citizens to their leaders.

It's wither Reconquest 1 or 2.

It's how they found the Tlalocan moons, which has a whole theatre section in one of the books.

Not even that, though you're right.

Apparently PHR citizens without specific implants for espionage just move and 'feel' radically different from normal humans, to the point where UCM dudes find them kind of disconcerting and uncanny to interact with.

found it on reconquest 1.

An agent boarded on the cruiser in secret. how could boarding action be unnoticed is what I curious about.

Just a high level of regular sneaking, probably. I'm guessing she got in while it was docked for resupply, though I guess it's possible there was a clandestine boarding action I guess.

But yeah it may be a plant. It's confirmed that one of the Marine vessels watching the Tlalocan moons has a PHR agent onboard.

Gah!

Shiet, that actually looks pretty cool, user

Huh. The more I look at it, the more ambivalent I get. It's not bad at all, just...eh.

So, how do all the primary combat battleships stack up, in you guy's views?

>Beijing
+best arcs of any battleship
+wide variety of weapon types and damage potentials; can easily engage multiple different ship types without overkilling
+cheapest
---JUST DROP IT BY 2 POINTS DAVE HOLY FUCK I WANT TO TAKE 2 BEIJINGS

>Dragon
+highest overall damage potential out of all battleships (6 per phalanx, 4 for array, 8 from furnace cannon), ignoring CAW
+best PD along with the Diamond
+second cheapest
-can't engage smaller ships without overkilling

>Heracles
+extremely powerful main gun
+excellent at engaging other capital ships
+toughest
-worst arcs
-most expensive
-second lowest overall damage potential

>Diamond
+Main gun is even better at crippling stuff than the Heracles
+smallest signature
+best PD along with Dragon
-most fragile
-second worst arcs
-least overall damage potential

Beijing or bust.

Speaking of, is it a typo that the New York is equipped with Shark missile bays, while the Beijing and New York have Swordfish missile bays?

Probably intentional. With access to the Torpedoes and the hangar bays, you need some obvious weakness people can go ahah over, and reducing its potential CAW damage output is a good way to do that.

>That description of high speed, mass killing void warfare between fighters and bombers
Hawk you gotta quit making me want different miniature game option. That, plus the various hazard suits in use photos are doing a real good job showing things going on.

I really want to go with this scheme, but I can't help thinking that there's a better scheme waiting to be discovered.

I find it hilarious that the PHR are sold out everywhere. Is everyone playing PHR?

I certainly am, though I'm also going to decide between Shaltari or Scourge as a secondary.

Not everyone, but they're definitely the most popular faction. The only reason UCM might be outpacing them at the moment is because they're in the starter box.

You forgot the Minos.

+Higher Damage potential than the Hercules
+Crippling CAW's that do double damage
+Torpedoes
+Joint Toughest
-Lack of long range frontal weapons
-Joint most expensive

PHR objectively look the coolest.
UCM second.

Scourge all look the same, and frigates/battleship looks terrible

Shitari are the worst designed ships in possibly any space game.

Scourge frigates are quite distinct and very cephalopod in shape, while the battleships are wicked trilobites. Feels like their cruisers are the one with silhouette recognition issues.

Why you no like hedgehog?
I think their spindly style fits quite well with their bonkers-high technology, what's the issue you see?

Compensating much?

>Scourge all look the same, and frigates/battleship looks terrible

>Hating the trilobite

But why? I'm not a fan of the scourge look but I love their BBs

Ooh, are we shitting up the thread with our subjective opinions? I'll go next.

PHR are decent. Hector and Bell look stupid with their double laser underbite, but otherwise bosthuman ships are pretty good across the board. Probably the best battleships, that Heracles is magnificent.

UCM are the most reliably good, the only ones I don't like are the battlecruisers and they'll be given different models later anyway. Best frigates by far.

Scourge battleships are top tier, I don't know what you're going on about. Frigates are pretty bad though. Cruisers are hit-or-miss, some of them are a bit samey.

Fuck you nigger, Shaltari look great. I'm lukewarm towards the frigates, but the cruisers and battleships are very nice. Go play with your anal bead, primitive.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of he underbit either- it's why I've been contemplating doing the twin lasers horizontally rather than vertically.

Shortstories from newsletters?
Where the fuck do we find those!?
>hyped

Its me again coming through with some hot opinions.

Agree, underbite ships are bad.

UCM are pretty good all around, however its funny you highlighted their frigates being the best, when the UCM frigates are objectively the worst looking of the UCM ships!

Scourge BS, yeah ok i'll give you this one. Its alright. Just very different from the rest of the ships.
Cruisers look good, but are all identical.
Frigates are bad.

Shaltari are pretty bad all over. Cruisers and BS are a slight redemption.

The Hydra looks pretty different. I'd say it's the best looking Scourge cruiser too.

UCM frigates are all unique and wonderful, neck yourself.

Shaltari look real good too, see above for recommended course of action.

Can we all take a moment to discuss the wording on the Calypso PHR Frigate's Advanced ECM Suite?

If you're asking whether using it against a single medium mass driver turret means every single medium mass driver turret on the table has +1 lock for the whole turn my feeling is no, the wording seems to me that it affects one weapon system on one ship. The fluff bit below also explicitly states that it only works on a single enemy ship, and (unlike GW) Dave tends to write rules that actually match the fluff, so it can be used to establish intent with reasonable confidence.

>Shitari are the worst designed ships in possibly any space game.

>Haiting on the hedgehogs
Nigga you fukkin wut?

>tfw you're just sitting here, liking each and every ship equally
>except the Shaltari frigates, which you like slightly less but still like very much so

Do some people really not like the wizard hat Scourge?

Quick question, if I launch fighters to boost my point defence when do they go away?

Presumably I can't just launch fighters every turn and have say 9 fighters out (3 turns of Seattle launch) until I use them?

But would you say the same to the Shaltari Shield booster?
That it only function against a single weapon on a single ship.
>My feeling is that you target a specific weapon for a group.
I think the book uses the phrase "against an attack" to describe it.

Fighters are removed at the beginning of the next roundup phase, so you aren't able to stack them up.

>"Once per turn, when a friendly ship with 4" is being targeted by an opponent's weapon you may add 1 to one weapon system's lock value for the remainder of the turn..."
>by an
>to one weapon system
Seems pretty clear cut to me, referencing, in particular, a singular entity, not a class of entities.

Shield booster is equally specific; if a ship with 4" is being targeted by an enemy ship (and has its shields up), the Opal may respond may respond by boosting its shields. If its shields are boosted, it may re-roll ALL failed passive saves in response to ALL attack dice from a single enemy group.

Whether or not it can be boosted depends on the presence of at least one ship targeting it, but the actual effect affects an entire group of weaponry, meaning multiple ships and multiple weapon systems.

I like that it stacks and that RAW it works on CAW, bombers and oddly enough, torps if I'm reading it right.

It doesn't say *ships* weapon system, it just says a weapons system. When torps roll to hit they just use a weapons system profile like any other gun in the game.

Unfortunately not, user; it can only be activated if an enemy SHIP targets it, and it only rerolls failed saves against an enemy GROUP, which implies ships.

Bombers and Torps don't come in groups.

You are right, however, that it can be used to save against CAW from an enemy group, as that is a weapon system.

Oh I apologize I meant the calypso. The opal works as you describe.

Interesting that the opal can't do anything to bombers or torps though

Reading the fluff it does seem that the intent is to fuck with single ships at the time, and thus doesn't work against groups.
However the stacking clause seems a bit insidious.

I think the calyspo does only work against a single ship weapon (each) at a time but boy can you fuck up big important weapons at the worst time.

Also it's apparently the only actual torpedo defense in the game, which is huge.

I'm not sure if Torps ignore Shields do they? Plus you still get armour rolls if the Torp doesn't crit.

Huh. Never really thought of that as I didn't think it could hit torps as they are munition launch assets. I can see them being classified as weapons too though.

But wouldn't that just delay the inevitable?
Torps get free re-rolls for their attack every turn sorta. But again, Making sure the Torps only crit on a 6 sound pretty baller.

No wait, scratch that.
You get another attack roll the next turn if you miss.
But I'd hazard a guess that a torp that doesn't crit is sort of a wasted torp.

Torps do not seem to ignore shields but the opal can't do activate against them, so it's kind of a wash.

Two calypsos can make any torpedo only hit on a 4+ which is huge.

Also since bombers don't just pool their attacks like ships but actually attack as one unit, the calypso might be able to fuck them over as well.

PHR fleet

1478/1500

Line battlegroup- 294
2x Orion 214
2x Europa 80

Line battlegroup- 189
Theseus 89
Ajax 100

Line battlegroup- 175
Ikarus 115
2x echo 60

Pathfinder battlegroup- 291
Ganymede 135
4x Medea 156

Vanguard battlegroup- 275
Leonidas 195
2x Europa 80

Vanguard battlegroup- 254
Bellepheron 180
2x calypsos 74

I feel unsubtle

I feel good

I don't understand why the Calypsos with the Bellerophon

Mostly for two reasons

1) Can't fit it with the Leo without dropping the Europas

2) It's gonna be a high priority target with a near permanent minor spike from launching, it's scan bait as it is so giving it some tanking capacity will let it soak damage for my real hard hitters.

They could go to the Orion battlegroup though, that's pretty legitimate

>2x Orion
>2x Europa

>22 dice per side arc

I raise you a MAXIMUM BROADSIDES

>Vanguard -275
Leonidas -195
2x Europa -80

>Line -374
2x Orion -214
4x Europa -160

>Line -200
2x Ajax -200

>Line -178
2x Theseus -178

>Pathfinder -291
Ganymede -135
2x Medea -78
2x Medea -78

>Pathfinder -90
3x Echo -90

Director AV4 -80

1488/1500

>1488/1500

White sphere pride galaxy wide, fellow posthuman.

So I plays a game with starter fleets (PHR vs. Scourge) over the weekend and the game was very interesting. Weapons have both very long range and very short range at the same time. Initiative rolls were utterly crucial to the outcome, although I feel that's slightly more to blame on the small fleet sizes.

I was PHR and I'll say that using the broadsides was fairly tricky. I suspect that the reason PHR have scan 8 is to make up for the fact that they can't fly directly towards their target (unlike everyone else).

I think homeworld music fits UCM perfectly as they're cold, logical tacticians hopefully acting very rationally

But for some reason, and this may just be biased, I feel like the PHR and their glory seeking Greek hero personas really benefit from battlefleet gothic music

youtu.be/6DhAAGZVAVo

I mean come on this just screams "form two lines, close to broadsides"

>I think homeworld music fits UCM perfectly as they're cold, logical tacticians hopefully acting very rationally

user, of the stories in the DFC rulebook, one is a UCM cobra laser commander blowing out his cooling banks so that he could blow up one more Topaz.

Another is a Moscow's captain wishing that they didn't have inertial dampeners, so that the command crew could feel the guns firing.

Another is the UCM REEEEEEEEING so hard that they throw an entire fleet, and 3 Tokyos, into the meat grinder to punish the PHR for something they likely didn't do. The ensuing clusterfuck was so bad that the UCM admiral was immediately court marshaled, and they use that battle as an example of what NOT to do in the fleet's officer school.

The UCM is far from rational.

okay they can join us on the imperial navy soundtrack

I still haven't gotten my commodore, PHR starters are sold out everywhere but I could get another UCM starter to fill the gap. It would give me a solid 1500 point list when combined with the two player starter...

I don't think homeworld music is anything like bombastic enough for the UCM. I feel it fits the scourge more, if anything.

>they're cold, logical tacticians hopefully acting very rationally
Sort of. The UCM is like a juxtaposition of cold efficiency and white hot rage against everyone who ever fucked them over (which is almost everyone they've ever encountered)

They start off with Homeworld music until it turns into Rebel Galaxy music.

Wait, torps get rerolls to hit? I thought their thing was that shaking them would only delay them unlike bombers.

If they miss or you shake them off they come back next turn. Unless you shake them off on a 6, then they fuck off forever.

Sorta

Torpedoes hit at the end of the ships activation

The ship gets a chance to shake the torp by course changing or going full thrust

On a 1-3, it does nothing and the torp will get to attack at the end of the activation, on a 4-5 the torp doesn't get to attack this turn but gets to try again next activation (and the ship can try to dodge it again) and on a 6 the torpedo is permanently shaken and is removed with no attack.

If a torpedo misses on its attack roll it will circle around for another pass, starting the whole process over

The only two ways to remove a torpedo is either to roll a 6 when shaking it or when it successfully hits

If you roll a 1 to hit for a torps, it just sits there and tries again the following turn.

It gives the target another chance to dodge if they want to.

The only way to stop a torp for good is to get a 6 on the dodge roll. A 4 or 5 on a dodge attempt will just delay it another turn.

>Been out of the loop on DZC fluff since the starter rulebook
>mfw reading the DFC fluff and history

All this Humanity Fuck Yeah, I can hardly contain myself.

Hmm- I had a thought- how much bigger is the atlantis over the regular heavy cruisers?
Also, how large are the cruiser BTL parts?

As I had the idea of trying to convert a cruiser and maybe some frigates as well into an avalon.

>Rebel Galaxy music.
Which, by the way, is fucking fantastic for anyone who hasn't heard it. One of the best OST's for a space game ever.
youtu.be/IBAYW0WGKtE?list=PLRMcXkadosW43B18ZSbYFqBnFn2myQwRw

The laser Dick is a fair bit longer than the normal Berlin laser, could try just glueing two end to end but that's iffy.

The Atlantis is a breeze to convert in comparison

This; they're almost proto-IoM, but without being edgy grimderp.

I was thinking putting 2 together, maybe doing them down the centre split of the hull, and cutting a frigate in half to give it some extra bulk on the sides.

>ywn be a grizzled space trucker
>not autistic enough to play EVE
Why live?

>not posting the best song
youtube.com/watch?v=f4zTGaOAs7M

Space trucking for money in eve doesn't exist. Space freightering in mammoth vulnerable cargo ships exists and it's only a mechanism for making money when used for your own market games

The whole OST is amazing, user. I can't love just one.

That, we can agree on

>There ain't no forgiveness
>I ain't a believer
>I'm a bad, bad, man
youtube.com/watch?v=9IDnFzr_ZaY

One thing I did like was being able to add in your own music to spice it up from time to time.

>Long warp ahead
>This kicks in
youtu.be/A69BertdSt4

>One thing I did like was being able to add in your own music to spice it up from time to time.
Yeah, that was a great system.

Since we're posting songs, post things that relate to the factions.

>Feral Resistance
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4QiDHHTWI

I enjoyed that in MGS:5 TPP
Nothing says air superiority support like hearing A-ha's "Take on me" faintly growing from the horizon.

I beg to differ user. My cousin swears the most fun he's had in that game is hauling around other people's crap.

>Shaltari, maybe UCM when they're feeling more composed
m.youtube.com/watch?v=p9OBf8f55tU

>Scourge, obligatory
m.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAlhuK3cgk

Does anyone else think that the Beijing should be dropped to 250 points? There's already precedence for them being able to take two battleships at 1500, and them having the cheapest (and most numerous) battleships seems like a good way to properly differentiate them even more from the other factions.